User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:47 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
That's amazing, Carei......you're very good. I'm so jealous of those with artistic ability; I can't even draw a stick figure.
Thanks sweetie!
Old 09-13-2005, 11:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That is really beautiful! Guess you are getting an A!
Old 09-13-2005, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Two thumbs up...

from this former art child prodigy

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 09-13-2005, 11:55 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
That is really beautiful! Guess you are getting an A!
Thank you Well, i hope so.... my teacher's kind of old fashioned though... he doesn't really get the way young artists think.... He's nice & everything, but i think that some of my work will scare him cause my pieces & concepts are very dark.... i did a series of paintings last year of mutilated teddy bears ....but i did get an A!
Old 09-13-2005, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyNomad
Maybe i should come paint your house!
Thanks for the lovely compliment... your a doll!

P.S. Did you mom do that? It's very very good!
Oh, no problem, I really like what you did. I would want it up in my house. (I love simple pen and ink, and black and white, etc.).

Yes, she did, it's etched glass. Please, please, never do anything like it. My mom is already pissed that her cousin (who made 10's of thousands of dollars from her paintings) copied my mom's art.

As an interesting aside, and I don't know if you are this way, but my mom won't look at other people's art at all, b/c she doesn't want to be influenced. She absolutely won't. (not on purpose, anyway.)

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 09-13-2005, 11:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Thank you Well, i hope so.... my teacher's kind of old fashioned though... he doesn't really get the way young artists think.... He's nice & everything, but i think that some of my work will scare him cause my pieces & concepts are very dark.... i did a series of paintings last year of mutilated teddy bears ....but i did get an A!
I was just thinking you must get an A.

uh...those who can't do, teach.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 09-14-2005, 12:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: ... in the shadow of this strange, strong love of you

Wow - as someone who failed miserably at art, I bow down. That's stunning.

"We're rock stars. We are not nice."
Stevie Nicks, the sage mother goddess fierce gypsy bitch we adore.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

You know, I just looked at it again. It's deceptively complex. It looks fairly simple, picture wise, you know, round moon, branch, owl, city....but...when you look at the cityscape, and the expression in the owl's eyes...suddenly it seems so much more. Not to mention the owl's feathering. It's very detailed. I've seen how things like this go, it's difficult (could be, maybe not to some) and time consuming (in my estimation of ways of spending time).

Last edited by amber; 09-14-2005 at 12:14 AM..
Old 09-14-2005, 12:13 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Oh, no problem, I really like what you did. I would want it up in my house. (I love simple pen and ink, and black and white, etc.).

Yes, she did, it's etched glass. Please, please, never do anything like it. My mom is already pissed that her cousin (who made 10's of thousands of dollars from her paintings) copied my mom's art.

As an interesting aside, and I don't know if you are this way, but my mom won't look at other people's art at all, b/c she doesn't want to be influenced. She absolutely won't. (not on purpose, anyway.)
That's a shame about your mom's art ..... my mom was actually going to be an artist, but now she's just a makeup artist

I do love to look at other artist's work... luv to go to museums & read art books. It's important for some people i guess, i think it depends on the kind of artist you are.... i'm an Illustration major. I've been influenced by several artists/illustators... Van Gogh, Picasso, Edvard Munch (pronounced "Munk"), Morris Sindack, Edward Gorey, & my childhood idol, Tim Burton I've already developed my own style though, that i've been working at since age two.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:15 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
You know, I just looked at it again. It's deceptively complex. It looks fairly simple, picture wise....but...when you look at the cityscape, and the expression in the owl's eyes...suddenly it seems so much more.
OMG! You got it! Thank you! Don't you just LOVE her sad little eyes? My eyes look like that some times....
Awww

P.S. Yes! it is very time consuming... took me four damn days
Old 09-14-2005, 12:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's a shame about your mom's art ..... my mom was actually going to be an artist, but now she's just a makeup artist

I do love to look at other artist's work... luv to go to museums & read art books. It's important for some people i guess, i think it depends on the kind of artist you are.... i'm an Illustration major. I've been influenced by several artists/illustators... Van Gogh, Picasso, Edvard Munch (pronounced "Munk"), Morris Sindack, Edward Gorey, & my childhood idol, Tim Burton I've already developed my own style though, that i've been working at since age two.
Ah! An illustration major. I would think you would want to look at other's art.
You know, I think you have your own style as well. I've seen a lot of art that's derivative, or just lame ( ) - but I think you really have something there. I also like how you work in different mediums. I guess I'm biased, b/c my mom makes art out of everything, but I think it's really a sign of exemplary creativity, and when it comes out looking good, that's even better.
Have you ever done any wood carving or sculpture? Or any etched glass? (not that you should, I was just curious).

Old 09-14-2005, 12:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hoot! Hoot!

I think it's a beautiful piece of work.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
OMG! You got it! Thank you! Don't you just LOVE her sad little eyes? My eyes look like that some times....
Awww

P.S. Yes! it is very time consuming... took me four damn days
Yeah...they look kind of sad...but not how a human would be sad. I dunno, they're very "owly" to me....with a little extra depth. It's hard (for me) to describe, I just think they're very "real owl" with all the depth that could entail, if you really see the owl. But you chose an owl on purpose, for all the emotions "owl" can encompass. (Did that sound totally lame? It's hard for me to describe, sorry.)

Yeah, four days. looking at the detail, I expected as much. Seriously, the cityscape is fabulous.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:22 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Ah! An illustration major. I would think you would want to look at other's art.
You know, I think you have your own style as well. I've seen a lot of art that's derivative, or just lame ( ) - but I think you really have something there. I also like how you work in different mediums. I guess I'm biased, b/c my mom makes art out of everything, but I think it's really a sign of exemplary creativity, and when it comes out looking good, that's even better.
Have you ever done any wood carving or sculpture? Or any etched glass? (not that you should, I was just curious).

Yes i have done lino block carving.... but i'm taking printmaking next semester... your mom is very creative with what she does, just because its not painting, doesn't mean it isn't art
Old 09-14-2005, 12:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes i have done lino block carving.... but i'm taking printmaking next semester... your mom is very creative with what she does, just because its not painting, doesn't mean it isn't art
Oh, she almost never paints. And of course it's art!
lino block carving...is that carving for printmaking?