User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-18-2006, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers
those things are evil baby and they must be destroyed!!!

I hate scales...really. I try to judge by how I feel and how my clothes fit, but I still hear the scales calling my name...
Scales really tell you nothing relevant to your changing body because muscle, which you are trying to build, weighs more than fat

Also, Haley's advice about eating and exercise was great.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 07-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayley
Counting calories works. It's just not long term. No one will spend the rest of their life writing or counting every single thing they put in their mouth. Counting calories also leads to a really unhealthy attitude- you are focusing so much on what you're putting into your mouth or how much exercise you're doing. It becomes an obsession that doesn't let up. At least it has, in my experience. I did Weight Watchers and lost about 40 pounds, and would recommend it to anyone, but I was focusing so much on what I was allowed to eat and not allowed. I would exercise an extra fifteen minutes so I could get the points to eat chocolate, or I'd save up all my flex points and blow them on booze. Denying myself that stuff made me explode.

My boyfriend and I have just discovered the revolutionary concept of cooking healthily, eating smaller portions, and exercising every day. We go out and play tennis together every night for at least an hour- it's kicking our ass. I've lost about eight to ten pounds in a month- at least I think I have. One other good benefit of all of this is that I rarely step on a scale.
Ideally, the former leads to the latter. It gives people an idea of what good meal/portion sizes are, and what types of food are best to eat. Some people are not already in the habit of eating healthfully and exercising regularly. Or, some are, but they still consume too many (possibly healthful) calories and aren't seeing results. Last night I had about 1700 calories, which is about 500 more than I wanted to eat, and all I ate that day was a couple servings of mixed veggies (lunch and dinner) with a teeny bit of chicken, popcorn with coconut oil, and apples.

I agree that the former (being obsessive all the time) shouldn't be the end goal, but it can help - very much in fact. And some people, also, are more comfortable working within a structure. It comforts and helps them.

I mean, what you said to do seems totally natural for me, but that isn't so for everyone. Also, even I like to get a little help from counting calories at times, like now when I'm really struggling to continue my weight loss progress, but only have about 15 lbs to lose. When I was at my normal weight, it was very constant, and so I settled into something more like what you are talking about.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -

Last edited by amber; 07-18-2006 at 03:29 PM..
Old 07-18-2006, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Coconut oil is fine and dandy, but it is still a fat and must be done in moderation.

I know people who cut all fat out of their diets and their skin and hair look awful. Why? Well, because skin and hair need fat to be healthy looking.

Same thing with energy - you need carbs (the good kind) to sustain energy.

Protein, the easiest for your body to digest but somewhat the hardest to ingest and metabolize, builds muscle.

Its all about moderation.
Well, I assumed everyone knew that. I'd hope Jaz wouldn't ingest a liter of oil a day or anything.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin
Well, I assumed everyone knew that. I'd hope Jaz wouldn't ingest a liter of oil a day or anything.
Well, we do live in the South

Old 07-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Also, a handful of raw almonds for a snack is a wonderful idea as raw almonds are fantastic for you.

Old 07-18-2006, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin
Sooo...I should stop making everything I eat "tempura"?

P.S. - almonds are good for you, but walnuts are even more magical, so try to mix up the nuts you eat.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 07-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
. . . P.S. - almonds are good for you, but walnuts are even more magical, so try to mix up the nuts you eat.
I'm my sack of em right here darlin'

Old 07-18-2006, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I'm my sack of em right here darlin'
must...resist...

Old 07-18-2006, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
must...resist...
he he he...we're on the same wavelength
Old 07-18-2006, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
he he he...we're on the same wavelength

Actually, my comp. crashed as I posted that and it should have read:

I have my sack of em in my hand right now darlin'

Old 07-18-2006, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I really need to sit down with your brain and get all your good tips (can you pencil me in?). in fact, I need to find that awesome thread where you were going over all this stuff. do you know of a site that tells you how many calories/fat/etc. you should have each day? I'm wondering if 1200 is too low...the last thing I need is my body thinking I'm starving and start STORING fat...
calorieking.com. 1200 seems low for a man.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
calorieking.com. 1200 seems low for a man.
ok.

so, again, is 1200 too low for me?

just kidding. thanks for the info. I actually signed up for calorieking and forgot until just now.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
I was reading in O magazine that the people who are most successful at losing weight and keeping it off are those that document every morsel they consume. That's right, I hate it too, but that seems to be a fact. So how many of you are counting and how are you doing? I haven't been doing much since I've gotten back from Africa but I really want to step it up and lose about 10 more lbs. That would be pretty cool.
My hubby did this a few years back and it totally worked. Now he doesn't ... and well ....

I don't do it ... it seems like to much work! I try to watch what I eat, though, and I am excercising more lately as well.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie
My hubby did this a few years back and it totally worked. Now he doesn't ... and well ....

I don't do it ... it seems like to much work! I try to watch what I eat, though, and I am excercising more lately as well.
It takes me like, 2 minutes to write down all my calories. The only "work" part comes in remembering to do it. Which reminds me....

Congrats on your exercise.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just dedicated a whole notebook to Calorie/food journaling. I know my eating is out of hand and that's the biggest factor in my ever-expanding ass.

That said, since moving to Colorado I think I've gotten more exercise than my time in NY Just on Sunday I got up, went for a 45 minute swim, washed my car (by hand...not a namby pamby drive-through..but it was a designated car wash, so I didn't waste mad water), then went for an evening bike ride! This week I've been hitting my apartment complexe's gym...

I just need to get the eating in check..that's what's getting me. Since I'm too cheap to join Weight Watchers right now - I'm going to try calorie counting/portioning on my own