Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^

Yes, I have no question the governor would appoint a Republican...that's the way the game is played...but the questions you brought up in your first post totally went through my mind as well --the possibility that he'd go with the majority and appoint a Dem - I just don't think that would happen...

Politics aside - I do hope he makes a full recovery!
Old 12-14-2006, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna View Post
^^

Yes, I have no question the governor would appoint a Republican...that's the way the game is played...but the questions you brought up in your first post totally went through my mind as well --the possibility that he'd go with the majority and appoint a Dem - I just don't think that would happen...

Politics aside - I do hope he makes a full recovery!
Well, the good news is that there was a statement that siad the surgery was sucessful.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...121400379.html

Democratic Sen. Johnson in Stable Condition After Brain Surgery

By Charles Babington
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, December 15, 2006; Page A01

Sen. Tim Johnson (D-S.D.) was in stable condition yesterday after emergency brain surgery, prompting optimism among family and friends and at least temporarily stanching speculation that the Democrats' narrow control of the next Senate might be in jeopardy.

But Capitol aides predicted tough negotiations between the two parties early next month over the rules for organizing the new Senate, particularly those that would address the possibility that a Democratic seat could be vacated because of illness or death.

Even if Johnson recuperates fully, aides and advisers said, Democrats will be painfully aware that they remain one fatal illness -- or one party switch -- away from a Republican claim on their majority, which has stood at 51 to 49 since the Nov. 7 elections. The two parties may clash in particular over an agreement made in 2001 that enabled Democrats to seize the majority after one Republican senator switched parties. Republicans are likely to try to revive the precedent, according to the congressional aides, and Democrats are likely to fight it.

Johnson, 59, was rushed from his Senate office to George Washington University Hospital on Wednesday, suffering from bleeding in the brain caused by a congenital tangle of blood vessels, the U.S. Capitol physician said yesterday.

"He underwent successful surgery to evacuate the blood and stabilize the malformation," said the physician, Adm. John Eisold. He later said that Johnson "has continued to have an uncomplicated post-operative course. Specifically, he has been appropriately responsive to both word and touch. No further surgical intervention has been required."

Senate Democratic leader Harry M. Reid (Nev.) and former party leader Thomas A. Daschle (S.D.) visited Johnson at the hospital Wednesday and yesterday. Reid later told reporters at the Capitol that Johnson "really looks good" and was receiving "the best care." He declined to say whether Johnson was conscious during his visits.

Click the link for the full article.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...121400379.html

Democratic Sen. Johnson in Stable Condition After Brain Surgery

By Charles Babington
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, December 15, 2006; Page A01

Sen. Tim Johnson (D-S.D.) was in stable condition yesterday after emergency brain surgery, prompting optimism among family and friends and at least temporarily stanching speculation that the Democrats' narrow control of the next Senate might be in jeopardy.

But Capitol aides predicted tough negotiations between the two parties early next month over the rules for organizing the new Senate, particularly those that would address the possibility that a Democratic seat could be vacated because of illness or death.

Even if Johnson recuperates fully, aides and advisers said, Democrats will be painfully aware that they remain one fatal illness -- or one party switch -- away from a Republican claim on their majority, which has stood at 51 to 49 since the Nov. 7 elections. The two parties may clash in particular over an agreement made in 2001 that enabled Democrats to seize the majority after one Republican senator switched parties. Republicans are likely to try to revive the precedent, according to the congressional aides, and Democrats are likely to fight it.

Johnson, 59, was rushed from his Senate office to George Washington University Hospital on Wednesday, suffering from bleeding in the brain caused by a congenital tangle of blood vessels, the U.S. Capitol physician said yesterday.

"He underwent successful surgery to evacuate the blood and stabilize the malformation," said the physician, Adm. John Eisold. He later said that Johnson "has continued to have an uncomplicated post-operative course. Specifically, he has been appropriately responsive to both word and touch. No further surgical intervention has been required."

Senate Democratic leader Harry M. Reid (Nev.) and former party leader Thomas A. Daschle (S.D.) visited Johnson at the hospital Wednesday and yesterday. Reid later told reporters at the Capitol that Johnson "really looks good" and was receiving "the best care." He declined to say whether Johnson was conscious during his visits.

Click the link for the full article.
congenital? he was born that way? whoa.....

anyway, I pray for his continued speedy recovery.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

As do I. For him and his family and for selfish reasons, I must admit...

Healing thoughts!

Sasja

Old 12-15-2006, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgrl View Post
congenital? he was born that way? whoa.....
Yup. That's another one of those worries that'll keep you up at night.