Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Senior Ledgie

Smile No offence taken, Chili D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
I was just being overly facetious with my comment about George. (been in a kind of goofy mood like that most of the day today) Apologies, if I offended.
I wasn't poking at you, just the story. Not your fault!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy spencer View Post
With the exception of 'Hey Joe', 'The Wind Cries Mary' and 'Little Wing', I personally wasn't a fan of Hendrix.
Pete told me that he had modelled the 'Curly' instrumental, which he recorded while with Mayall, after Hendrix. I know that Pete did not like the way he played blues, however.
Other than that I don't remember us talking too much about him. Remember, we were die-hard Chicago blues purists at the time!
Thanks for your comments, Jeremy! I'd forgotten about "Curly" - excellent point about the Hendrix influence there. It's wonderful to hear things first-hand from you. Your participation on the board here gives us all such an amazing insight into those days 40 years ago - you have a great memory!
Old 08-27-2009, 07:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default "Curly"

I always thought "Curly" was influenced by Jeff Beck, that's interesting.

Sharksfan mentioned "Fast Talking Woman Blues" as a possible Hendrix influence. I think that song is tied directly to Texas blues, not Hendrix. That style of blues would be championed ten or so years later from a guitarist born in Dallas.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
... Jimi Hendrix? ...I hear very little of his influence on any of the band's music
If anything, I hear the influence going the other direction. Jimi's tune "Pali Gap" bears a striking resemblance to "Underway" (the shortened verson on Then Play On). The jam from Woodstock that segue's into "Purple Haze" sounds a whole lot like something Peter would've done at the time.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default If it had have been...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
I always thought "Curly" was influenced by Jeff Beck, that's interesting.

Sharksfan mentioned "Fast Talking Woman Blues" as a possible Hendrix influence. I think that song is tied directly to Texas blues, not Hendrix. That style of blues would be championed ten or so years later from a guitarist born in Dallas.
...Pete would never have admitted that, he was definitely not a JB fan!!
Old 08-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Jeff Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy spencer View Post
...Pete would never have admitted that, he was definitely not a JB fan!!
Thanks jeremy,

I had always wondered about that. Beck had been around all over the place. My impression was that he was a fabulous musician who did not work from feeling. He could play anything he heard but worked from the outside in, if that makes any sense.
My guess Peter would not have cared too much for Alvin Lee either.

doodyhead
Old 08-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
Thanks jeremy,

... who did not work from feeling. He could play anything he heard but worked from the outside in, if that makes any sense....
doodyhead
ha! double exclamation points, thanks very much jeremy. that does makes perfect sense vinnie. not short on technique but quite short on soul. verdict: not an effective blues guitarist.

i can imagine that beck's 70's jazz fusion work was more unappealing to pete than beck's earlier blues and r&b based approach
Old 08-27-2009, 11:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
Thanks jeremy,

I had always wondered about that. Beck had been around all over the place. My impression was that he was a fabulous musician who did not work from feeling. He could play anything he heard but worked from the outside in, if that makes any sense.
My guess Peter would not have cared too much for Alvin Lee either.

doodyhead
Alvin Lee, is a great example of no feel. I think he was the first of the hundred notes as fast as you can in one bar sect. Does "Beck's Bolero" lack feel? I guess it's not in Peter Green's league. Beck was better than Jimmy Page IMO because he had better technique. Jimmy Page had feel but couldn't pull it off, so his solos would end up sloppy. What about Leslie West?
Old 08-28-2009, 05:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
If anything, I hear the influence going the other direction. Jimi's tune "Pali Gap" bears a striking resemblance to "Underway" (the shortened verson on Then Play On). The jam from Woodstock that segue's into "Purple Haze" sounds a whole lot like something Peter would've done at the time.
Interesting point, though I don't really hear any similiarities. Never heard any of the British players do the "chordal" soloing Jimi does in those songs. He smoked all of them on rhythm guitar. Still, "Underway" has an "aquatic" theme, and "Pali Gap" has a watery tone from the Univibe. If you listen to "Drifting" from the same period, Hendrix tried to get what he called "sea sounds". And he did play the "Oh Well" riff in concert several times.