Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-11-2003, 01:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

My suggestion is - wait for RTTG to be released!!!!

And I agree with the idea that Peacekeeper is song that will build momentum, and may well become a song played on classic rock for years ahead, when the truth of its lyrcis become better publicised.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:39 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by seteca
I wonder if British radio stations will play any of the Say You Will tracks...at all???
I wonder the same about German radio stations. The only time I heard any TISL tracks was when the album as a whole was presented, in these "Here are the new CD releases of the week" kind of shows. Due to a lack of singles I didn't hear any new Stevie songs anymore. Which brings me to...

Quote:
Originally posted by Gazza
Album sales are the only thing that matter.
and

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob67
Who cares if any of the songs are hits or not? Pop radio and MTV only care about teenage girls' listening habits.
I agree with both statements and going by what I've heard from all you Ledgies in the US, this is true.
However, in European markets (like Germany) it is a bit different. Sure, I won't expect MTV or VIVA to play any Mac videos as they only care about teenagers' listening habits indeed. But radio is a different thing over here... Hmm, I'll try to explain - as our singles charts are based on sales (and nothing else), of course a commercially released single is needed to score any hits. German radio DOES play all kinds of songs (even NEW songs by OLD artists), but usually they only play songs that are released as commercial singles (see Stevie Nicks example mentioned above). Radio can be an important marketing tool over here, because even when these singles (that receive airplay) do NOT chart, they can mean a strong pull for the album. The reason why artists like, for example, Joe Cocker, Chris Rea or Chris de Burgh still sell huge amounts of albums in Germany (which is as far as I know the third biggest record market in the world sales-wise, i.e. not totally unattractive) is NOT because they have big hit singles or because 95% of the record-buying public consists of middle-aged fans who are buying their old heroes' new albums, but because the commercial single releases get exposure on radio and make people buy the entire album. That's why I'm hoping FM have a single release over here (oh and of course because of potential bonus tracks ). Single release -> Radio play -> Album sales.

So, the truth in our (European) case might lie somewhere in the middle.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:57 AM
Ledgie

Default If the song was good it would be played.

There are those people on the board that have a place in their listening hearts for this song and those that do honestly like the song but lets face it - even if you took the hundreds of thousands of people across the world who are FM fans and will be anxious to see them in concert I am sure the majority would be less than excited when they hear this song. There are tons of older artists who get significant air time, oh like Santana currently, but the songs are good. So my argument is if FM had a kick ass single that the overall public would like to hear on the radio the radio stations would definitely play it despite their 'old' status.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I live near Philly and they never played Stevie and Im sure they wont play Fleetwood Mac. We have no station that would except maybe b 101 and they even wait until a song is a HIT to play it.

The rock stations won't play it. The top 40 won't play it because thats for kids. The alternative rock won't play it because its not
"cool" enough. The older rock stations might but that has no influence on anything, they just do it out of respect. So there is no where to play Fleetwood Mac. Its just sad.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Jeff-Santana has taken the idea of having outside writers pen songs for him and then having the lead vocals done by current 20 something artists.

WBOS in Boston played the Peacekeeper this morning.

On this board there are many worriers and complainers. All of which is fine, however many know very little about the music industry or how it works.

It is a fact older artists do not get much air play. Radio formats have become extremely tight. Finally, it often takes a significant period of time for any single to penetrate airplay rotations. I give to you the example of Sheryl Crow's Soak Up the Sun. A song that was a huge AC radio hit. It was released in February, did not land in heavy rotation until late march and then became a radio staple for the next 6 months.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by John Run
On this board there are many worriers and complainers. All of which is fine, however many know very little about the music industry or how it works.
Thanks for enlightening us.

Here's the deal: The timing of Peacekeeper's release is slightly off. A couple more months and it would have resonated more. Another single would have worked better as a lead-off. Obviously this song is being released as the first single because both current Fleetwood Mac voices are prominent and it is all part of the marketing strategy. Never mind that this has never been a consideration before and that the song has been weakened or that Fleetwood Mac has usually been bold in releasing a first single, as in Go Your Own Way, Tusk and Big Love. None of those songs were typical radio fodder when they were released, and now they've all become classics in their own right.

But, look, who cares if they play the damn thing on the radio? I hardly ever listen to the radio, and when I do it's usually for the news or to tune in to WFUV-FM. If you live in New York, this is the only decent radio station around.

If you like it, listen to it. Never mind what the radio is playing.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Carne wrote: If you like it, listen to it. Never mind what the radio is playing.

Great Point!!
Old 03-11-2003, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by John Run
Carne wrote: If you like it, listen to it. Never mind what the radio is playing.

Great Point!!
Oh, damn. Now I feel bad for being a wise ass to you... Damn your gracious ways!!!
Old 03-11-2003, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: If the song was good it would be played.

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffs

There are tons of older artists who get significant air time,
to which planet do you call "home" ?

somewhere deep in the middle of the night baby, i think about you!!! she says somewhere deep in the middle of the night my baby, i think about you!!!! she says i know what it sounds liiike! i know what it sounds liiiiiiiiiiike, i know what it sounds like, it sounds like youuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2003, 01:33 PM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by thewhitewingedd
Would anyone have been re-aquinted with Santana if it hadn't been for Rob Tomas?
Well, would they have EVER been "acquinted" with Santana, in the first place, if it hadn't been for PETER GREEN???
Old 03-11-2003, 01:53 PM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Ledgie

Default Santana was a bad example!

OK - Santana was a bad example. Someone dear to Lindsey and Stevie's heart, Tom Petty has gotten alot of NYC air time with his new album and he is an old timer. Bruce Springsteen, an old timer, dominates the radio here with his new stuff (maybe because he is a local hero). I am no radio expert like some of you obsessed fans but I think it is fair to say that if an old act comes out with a genuinely fresh, great song that is worthy of radio play it will get it's fair shot at getting played. I think the bigger issue is how many older acts are coming up with fresh sounding stuff? I think Peacekeeper could have used Rob Thomas' help as much as Santana benefited from his. No one on this board wants FM to be more successful than me, I've waited for this Lindsey material anxiously since his Dance comment about his new solo album/Bleed to Love Her speech.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Regions do make a difference. Petty and Springsteen got virtually no airplay here for their new material. Funnily enough, one of the classic rock stations here broadcast a recently taped concert of Springsteen's a few weekends ago, but that station never has and never will play anything from the new album. Scratch your head about that one for a while.

U2 and Aerosmith are the only "old" acts I hear on "new" radio.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:31 PM
Ledgie

Thumbs up

Let's give "Peacekeeper" a chance! If you look on www.rronline.com, which lists the national airplay charts, "Peacekeeper" is listed on both the "Hot AC" and Triple A charts as "To be added." Just wanted to let you guys know.

BRIAN
Old 03-11-2003, 06:36 PM
Ledgie

Default The Egg or the Chicken

Also, if first week sales are STRONG then more radio will pick up the single...something that happened to some degree after TISL debuted at #5..."Everyday" got picked up by a couple stations...
Old 03-12-2003, 09:53 AM
joe

Default Re: Hits??? Who cares???

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob67
Who cares if any of the songs are hits or not? Pop radio and MTV only care about teenage girls' listening habits. If music quality was an indicator of success then Out of the Cradel would have been a smash in my opinion.....

Take it easy...

Rob

I agree completely!