The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Junior Ledgie

It's been interesting revisiting some of the areas on this site after Bob Welch's untimely death. One thing struck me: It's really lucky that some of those Q and A's exist, because without those there would be very little verified information on the mid-period Fleetwood Mac. God knows there is more than enough about the Buckingham Nicks era, down to a wasted Christine/Stevie youtube video giving birthday greetings to Warner Brothers, and the early blues period is relatively well documented, but without those Q and A's a lot of the Welch era band would have just faded away. Mick is pretty much useless with his recollections, McVie was wasted most of the time, so who else would have known the production details (or lack thereof) of "The Derelict"? Dave Walker obviously. He doesn't have anything better to do, but he helps fill in the blanks, along with the Welch and Weston Q and A. So without those, those records and the stories behind them would have just faded away. The fans are the ones who have kept it alive, and the players seem to be happy to recount their memories, despite some of the inane questions asked (i.e. did you get along with Lindsey? Did you meet Stevie? who f***ing cares?) While their own memories are sometimes sketchy or circumspect (still not sure who played bass on "Revelation"), there is enough info out there now through these sessions to keep the memory of this murky era of the band, which in some ways is my favourite, alive. Very cool, and worth re-reading.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenepotist View Post
Well who knows, in the unlikely event that GBV finds themselves inducted in the HOF you may find yourself in the mix as well. I always preferred Pavement myself, but then again I wasn't moving their amps around for them, so...
"Funny thing about Matador at 21: After three days and dozens of diverse bands, it turns out everyone was pretty much there to see Guided by Voices."

-L.A. Times
Old 06-16-2012, 07:42 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
"Funny thing about Matador at 21: After three days and dozens of diverse bands, it turns out everyone was pretty much there to see Guided by Voices."

-L.A. Times
I take it back, I love them. I mean if the TIMES says so...
Old 06-17-2012, 01:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
No, Lindsey hasn't. Lindsey says he doesn't even keep up with John.

Following Bob's death, there was a press report in the obits saying that he was still friendly with Lindsey and, especially, Stevie.

Michele
There are pictures of Bob visiting Stevie backstage post RRHOF on one of her solo tours, so I don't think it's her.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
gig" post were John and Christine. Is it possible that John has not quite gotten over the lawsuit? John is an enigma... a "mystery to me," if you will. He seems so easy-going, humble and civil, yet I understand he is a dyed-in-the-wool Republican , which totally flies in the face of anything resembling "sympathetic" or "compassionate." When Louie asked John about Bob being inducted into the RRHOF in his Ledge Q&A, John's reply was decidedly terse and vague:

I definitely think John would be seriously pissed about the lawsuit and the least likely to get over it.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I suppose you are right... I should not make pre-emptive judgments based on party affiliation. However, at the same time, I am also experiencing some cognitive dissonance trying to reconcile common decency with the modern Republican party planks. I guess I am so disgusted by the current barrage of anti-intellectual, bigoted, hypocritical rhetoric I read about. I am sure (or at least I would like to think) that John is similarly disgusted and takes a more moderate stance on the issues.

BTW, I know your family is wonderful (despite being Republican). They are exempted from my screed.
Maybe I'm just imagining this but didn't John at one point make some comments about tort reform? Honestly though, I don't think him being a Republican has much to do with whatever his stance on Bob was.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
I definitely think John would be seriously pissed about the lawsuit and the least likely to get over it.
Wendy has now said that it's not Mick OR John.

F*CK, I know it's Chris. Lindsey's my runner up,....but I'm unfortunately, reasonably certain...
Old 06-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Wendy has now said that it's not Mick OR John.

F*CK, I know it's Chris. Lindsey's my runner up,....but I'm unfortunately, reasonably certain...
Wow. I wonder what her beef with Bob was all about?
Old 06-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Taking the lawsuit personally must be the main thing but it's disturbing that this seems to fall in line with what we suspected as to why her and Dave Mason were rarely pictured together etc. during the Time era (which was that because of her good friend Steve Winwood's issues with Dave). I didn't think she would get in to the childish stuff of "my friend doesn't like you so I'm not gonna play with you" but maybe she does exhibit this kind of behavior after all?

John
Old 06-17-2012, 06:07 PM
WhippityP

This is my first post here so I hate to be disagreeable, but why is Robert Hilburn's version of events more difficult to accept than this enigmatic, in-house, black-balling?

The nominations committee has, in other circumstances been criticized for lacking transparency and standardization. They seem to do whatever they want and base their decisions in marketability rather than merit.

I thought John Lydon's open letter of "regrets" was as cool as the next person, but why were the Sex Pistols nominated before MC5, Television, Wire, Nick Lowe etc.? (I might need to re-check this)

I don't think the individual members of FM are saints. I would probably buy the story if there wasn't a completely believable explanation otherwise. Just because Jerry Garcia put pressure on the committee to nominate every member of the Grateful Dead doesn't mean anyone can or would even think to do this.

I don't mean to be crass, but we all know that Mr. Welch liked a good conspiracy theory.

Although, to play devil's advocate for a second...As noted in a previous viewer's comment, check out the look exchanged by CM & JM when Bob Welch's name is mentioned in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGBji-8-3jo

Last edited by WhippityP; 06-17-2012 at 06:29 PM..
Old 06-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippityP View Post
This is my first post here so I hate to be disagreeable, but why is Robert Hilburn's version of events more difficult to accept than this enigmatic, in-house, black-balling?

The nominations committee has, in other circumstances been criticized for lacking transparency and standardization. They seem to do whatever they want and base their decisions in marketability rather than merit.

I thought John Lydon's open letter of "regrets" was as cool as the next person, but why were the Sex Pistols nominated before MC5, Television, Wire, Nick Lowe etc.? (I might need to re-check this)

I don't think the individual members of FM are saints. I would probably buy the story if there wasn't a completely believable explanation otherwise. Just because Jerry Garcia put pressure on the committee to nominate every member of the Grateful Dead doesn't mean anyone can or would even think to do this.

I don't mean to be crass, but we all know that Mr. Welch liked a good conspiracy theory.

Although, to play devil's advocate for a second...As noted in a previous viewer's comment, check out the look exchanged by CM & JM when Bob Welch's name is mentioned in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGBji-8-3jo
Before I get totally sucked into these again and spend my evening observing the insane Stevie/Lindsey sexual tension, do you know about when this mention occurs? I've seen the video dozens of times, but don't remember a Bob Welch mention. I guess I've been focused on other things. Like head kisses.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:44 PM
WhippityP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzoforte View Post
Before I get totally sucked into these again and spend my evening observing the insane Stevie/Lindsey sexual tension, do you know about when this mention occurs? I've seen the video dozens of times, but don't remember a Bob Welch mention. I guess I've been focused on other things. Like head kisses.

Oh man....head kisses.

Yeah, sorry about posting a 13:00 video without indicating the 'time of incident,' if you will...

It's around 9:26

Bob is mentioned again at 10:22
Old 06-17-2012, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess you are all assuming that it is one of the inner five. Perhaps Peter Green refused to be inducted or photographed with FM unless Bob was kept out?
Old 06-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
Wow. I wonder what her beef with Bob was all about?
Well, I don't guess she was happy with his lawsuit and, because she wrote with him and was a partner with him to more of an extent than the other guys were, she might have taken it more personally.

Aside from that, Bob was a very funny guy and could be charming, but he wasn't above conflict. He could have had disputes with people for reasons we know nothing about. At any rate, he felt that he was excluded from the RRHOF because someone just plain didn't like him.

Michele
Old 06-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippityP View Post
A quick look at his website would help anyone who thinks this isn't true!