Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
You would've been what, 9 or 10? That's a bit young to go on a spending spree like that. Where'd you get all that money?
I have corns older than that!
Old 02-12-2015, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
You would've been what, 9 or 10? That's a bit young to go on a spending spree like that. Where'd you get all that money?
My father being a classic rock guy was practically begging me to stop listening to country music so he helped me make the transition. lol
Old 02-12-2015, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenshiMaster16 View Post
My father being a classic rock guy was practically begging me to stop listening to country music so he helped me make the transition. lol

I started listening to country music when country music wasn't cool in the 1970's when country music was country music.LOL Thanks to Barbara Mandrell for using her song title.

As the recent years went by I got tired and fed up of these so called country artists popping up making country music sound like rock and roll so I end up going back and enjoying classic rock and classic country music along with the other great oldies hits from the past.

When they fire the hard rock elect guitar players and rehire the banjo,dobro,Fiddle,Washboard,ETC ,Steel guitar players better lyrics maybe I'll come back.

The industry had to do something to lure in the younger demos in to listen.

Make the move .It will be worth it.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016

Last edited by Macfanforever; 02-12-2015 at 07:11 PM..
Old 02-13-2015, 02:17 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenshiMaster16 View Post
90s country, the trapping of many our age. Lol. Fleetwood Mac helped me transition from country also. And I'm your age. That's really funny to me. I wanted to be Faith Hill when I was a kid. Then somewhere around 11, 12 I wanted to be Stevie, or some sort of Sarah McLachlan/ Stevie Nicks hybrid. (Though ugh, Sarah's last two albums really lost me.... That's the artist I am angry at. I've loved IYD and 24KG so...). I remember saving up whatever money I got as a teen, pre teen, to go to the cd shop. I had an insane collection but cds scratch or get lost so easily I don't even know what happened to them all, I rebuy cheap used cds at record shops now.

As for the topic at hand... I don't think it even matters what I think. Not like we really have any control over this band or what the members do or don't. I'm still bummed I never went to a SYW show, I'm so attached to that album (along with The Dance and TISL, probably because of my age, I've seen research that notes the strong effect music we liked in our teens has on us the rest of our lives, I think it's true.) I only went to my first Mac show in 2013. And yeah, as a diehard, I'm getting sick of the same old songs (but three cheers for Sisters of the Moon!) and the drama. I was mad for awhile since I'm pretty sure I'm not mistaken, didn't they originally insist album first, then tour? Then suddenly went and announced this tour months and months in advance.... I want the album. And as I've sid in a couple of other posts around here, while I'm young, I have extremely poor health, frankly I'm just as worried if not more so that I will die before the dang album gets released. I know some rightfully worry something could happen to any of the band members and Johns cancer sure brought that home, but shoot, I don't have rock star money to seek treatment nor am I anywhere near healthy enough to go on a world tour so I just want this darn album before I pass. But frankly I also desperately want a solo Stevie show, and heck the smaller the venue the better... I'm not young enough for Make a Wish or similar but my life goal is to meet Stevie. And eh, the drama of the band bothers me less in many ways than the drama of the fans. Lol. But hey there's really no one like Fleetwood Mac and there's sure no other group of fans like Mac fans, and I think that's largely a good thing. Who else has three lead singers in their main lineup? Who else has various and in ways vastly different "generations” (for lack of a better word, eras maybe?) of the same band... Makes for interesting dynamics in the hardcore fan world. Me personally, I'm a completionist. I have to have everything but Stevie is my favorite. I relate to Stevie in ways both good and bad, maybe I even like the fact that I share not so good qualities with Stevie. Artsy types arent always nice people anyway. Lindsey isn't without flaws for that matter... always least like Christine because she just i don't know, seems more reserved, her music is more lovey dovey happy. Not the guts and feelings and emotions Lindsey and Stevie bring to the table. But I think I like that she's back, I love the way their voices blend. I love seeing Chris and Stevie together. Certainly takes us at least partially away from all the shipper drama.

But dear G-d, I would really like to hear some new songs, please! And let's face it, they won't put out an album without Stevie, like her or not, she's a draw for the casual fan for sure, probably the biggest draw. You don't have to personally feel that way and heck, I'd still buy the album but might not enjoy it as much. And that's just it, it seems clear the band is smart and mine seems to be a big bottom line. If they put out another album, all five of them, they can easily expect it to be a reasonable hit, much like this tour. But if Stevie isn't on it, they won't make near much, it won't be a hit and you know, you must know, if Stevie isn't on the album, every write up and review is going to focus on that. The album will be known as "well, it could've been better if the whole band was on it" and the "where is Stevie?" Album. If, and I highly highly doubt it, Stevie all out refused, frankly I don't think we'd see a new album at all. If we were lucky maybe an anniversary collection comes out that includes the songs Lindsey and Christine are supposedly working on because sure, that would sell. But a full Stevie-less album, yeah sorry won't happen. As music fans we all get our favorites, we may not always like every member of the band, or the new direction a band or singer takes (like what I said above about Sarah McLachlan, she used to share the top spot on my list of favorites with FM, she sure fell for me and I've never seen a favorite artist let me down so bad..l) but while we may wish for this or that in the end we don't have any control and even our absolute favorite band can do things that really piss us off. I wouldn't be totally surprised if the album never happened or takes way, way longer since they've already repeatedly changed when they claim said album will be made. And if Christine hadn't returned, I'm not sure we'd ever see any new Mac at all... The one thing that would absolutely surprise me honestly would be them releasing the album without Stevie, just don't see that happening...
Old 02-14-2015, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From an interview with Stevie 2007 in Songwriter magazine http://fleetwoodmac-uk.com/wp/vision...ng-songwriter/

After that you returned to Fleetwood Mac yet again. How do you look back on the making of Say You Will [2003]?

On Feb. 2, 2002, I went straight from the Trouble in Shangri-La tour into recording with them. It was nightmare doing that record. It really was Lindsey’s vision, and it wasn’t very much about the other three of us. And of course it was also the first record we had ever attempted to do without Christine [McVie, who left the band in the late 1990s]. Right there, the whole thing was completely insane. She is the magic mediator in that band and always was. She’s the one who made light of everything and made everybody laugh and told us all that were full of ****. She was the person who made it all work. So when she wasn’t there, that sunk the boat. I don’t think that my friend Chris ever realized how important she was. Without her, it’s a boy’s club. The lack of Christine is a big, hollow hole in my heart.

Would you be willing to attempt another record without her?

Absolutely not. Not in this lifetime. Why? We already tried, and it did not work. My thing is, somebody convince Christine to come back and do this one more time. I don’t think she’s going to change her mind, but stranger things have happened.

Which just circles us back to the question, so wtf is holding her back now??
Old 02-15-2015, 03:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Which just circles us back to the question, so wtf is holding her back now??
IMO, she's a lot older now, and a lot more diva-like. Her agenda is most important to her now, and if that f*cks up FM's, she doesn't care. I think SHE thinks that she's the star of FM(and maybe she is), and she wants to make them kiss her ass now.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post

After that you returned to Fleetwood Mac yet again. How do you look back on the making of Say You Will [2003]?

On Feb. 2, 2002, I went straight from the Trouble in Shangri-La tour into recording with them. It was nightmare doing that record. It really was Lindsey’s vision, and it wasn’t very much about the other three of us. And of course it was also the first record we had ever attempted to do without Christine [McVie, who left the band in the late 1990s]. Right there, the whole thing was completely insane. She is the magic mediator in that band and always was. She’s the one who made light of everything and made everybody laugh and told us all that were full of ****. She was the person who made it all work. So when she wasn’t there, that sunk the boat. I don’t think that my friend Chris ever realized how important she was. Without her, it’s a boy’s club. The lack of Christine is a big, hollow hole in my heart.

Would you be willing to attempt another record without her?

Absolutely not. Not in this lifetime. Why? We already tried, and it did not work. My thing is, somebody convince Christine to come back and do this one more time.
:
Wow. I don't recall this. Stevie articulately shed light into the tension surrounding the Say You Will saga. Maybe Stevie needs to remember her quote "Come back and do this one more time." Christine is back. Now Stevie needs to take her ego and take it down, climb a mountain and turn around and come back one more time, because there may truly be no second time around for us. She can never look back.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 02-15-2015 at 09:32 AM..
Old 02-16-2015, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lmao

I have loved reading through this whole thread. There are people on here who obviously prefer the pre-Rumours line up of FM. That is all well and good. However, that line up is gone. Why do we have to listen to this continuous drivel about what would have been if Stevie and Lindsey wouldn't have joined or if Stevie would just leave. Go post in your own section of The Ledge. It probably isn't going to happen whether you like it or not. If it did happen, I am sure the 4 or 5 of you would be totally thrilled seeing them in a 2000 seat theatre which is also all well and good.

If Stevie did just turn back to her solo career, she could still outsell Fleetwood Mac. It isn't even a contest...my whole point is to give credit where credit is due. Her mystical songwriting paired with her very beautiful and unique voice gave wings to Fleetwood Mac. I am not disparaging any other band member by saying this. Add in her sense of style and her stage presence and it was the winning combination that is needed for a successful, revenue-generating band.

My whole problem with this thread is that one of the 4 or 5 people are always dogging Stevie. If you don't like her, you probably don't really like Fleetwood Mac in this line up. Go post in the section that applies to your tastes!!
Old 02-16-2015, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post

If Stevie did just turn back to her solo career, she could still outsell Fleetwood Mac. It isn't even a contest...
That's hardly a fact. Fleetwood Mac would be less successful without Stevie, certainly, but I hardly think that they would be less successful than she is as a solo act.

Michele
Old 02-16-2015, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

If Stevie did just turn back to her solo career, she could still outsell Fleetwood Mac.
I bet she wouldn't...
...though if most of her audiences were there to see Rod Stewart then it might be close.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
That's hardly a fact. Fleetwood Mac would be less successful without Stevie, certainly, but I hardly think that they would be less successful than she is as a solo act.

Michele
Yeah, In Your Dreams has sold about 200,000 copies in the US and I don't know what 24k Gold Has sold but its first week sales were about 60% of In Your Dreams. Could Fleetwood Mac sans Stevie sell 200,000? I think so. Especially if they had a catchy Christine song that was well promoted and got them some exposure in a commercial, TV show or awards show performace.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There are people on here who obviously prefer the pre-Rumours line up of FM. That is all well and good. However, that line up is gone.
Straw man. Nobody has ever suggested that the earlier versions would/could/should ever get back together.

Quote:
Why do we have to listen to this continuous drivel about what would have been if Stevie and Lindsey wouldn't have joined or if Stevie would just leave.
It's a counterpoint to the "Fleetwood Mac was going nowhere until Stevie and Lindsey joined." Fleetwood Mac had a track record, and if you consider where they were at that point in time, on Dec. 31, 1974, the environment was prime for them to take the band to the next level.

Quote:
Go post in your own section of The Ledge.
Last time I checked, Mick, John, and Christine were also in the "Rumours" band. When Chiffon-heads start rambling on about some idiotic nonsense like "Fleetwood Mac was going nowhere prior to Stevie gracing them with her presence," we can offer a much different, more informed perspective.

Quote:
If Stevie did just turn back to her solo career, she could still outsell Fleetwood Mac.
With Lindsey and Christine still in the band? Not hardly. None of them will set the world on fire, given the changing nature of the industry, but the Fleetwood Mac brand is much bigger than Stevie.

Quote:
my whole point is to give credit where credit is due.
Like how you ignore the fact Christine had nine of Fleetwood Mac's 17 top 40 singles.

Quote:
Her mystical songwriting paired with her very beautiful and unique voice gave wings to Fleetwood Mac. I am not disparaging any other band member by saying this. Add in her sense of style and her stage presence and it was the winning combination that is needed for a successful, revenue-generating band.
It was a gimmick that worked. But there were/are fans who don't like that.

Quote:
My whole problem with this thread is that one of the 4 or 5 people are always dogging Stevie. If you don't like her, you probably don't really like Fleetwood Mac in this line up.
I'm a fan of the Fleetwood-McVie-McVie rhythm section, be that with Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, Bob Welch, Lindsey Buckingham, or Billy Burnette, or whoever. I'm also a fan of Lindsey's finger-style guitar playing, as I love folk guitarists, such as Richard Thompson, Roger McGuinn, Peter Yarrow, Noel Paul Stooky, etc. It's VERY easy for me to say I'm a fan of this version of Fleetwood Mac without liking Stevie.

Quote:
Go post in the section that applies to your tastes!!
What section should I post in if THIS applies to my tastes?

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 02-16-2015 at 07:28 PM..
Old 02-16-2015, 08:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The bottom line is none of us know f*cking ****. I don't have a crystal ball and neither do you guys. Unless we hear a statement from the band, I am going to assume that they are all on board for a new studio album. Now STFU.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
The bottom line is none of us know f*cking ****. I don't have a crystal ball and neither do you guys. Unless we hear a statement from the band, I am going to assume that they are all on board for a new studio album. Now STFU.
Well said, well written, Nick.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Yes, and considering that the tour extends into July, it will be several months before any of them can work on the album again. I wish this thread could go on hiatus until then.