User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-13-2004, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
What you said. If that isn't extremist, I don't know what is. And, if you ask me, constitutionally troubling
Well, I guess I would define extremist as flying planes into skyscrapers, setting yourself and your followers on fire, and lynching members of another race because you interpret the bible to say that yours is superior.

Holding a morning prayer session is hardly extremist. Why do you consider that extreme? I am not a religious person but that doesn't scares me at all. It’s the fanatics who use violence against the innocent in the name of their “God” that scare me. And this includes the Crusaders of the Middle Ages. I am not just talking about Muslims.

Rob

"The biggest conspiracy has always been the fact that there is no conspiracy. Nobody's out to get you. Nobody gives a sh*t whether you live or die. There, you feel better now? "

"(Sept. 11) was a big thing for me. I was saying to liberal America, "Well, what are you offering?" And they said, "Well, we're not going to protect you, and we want some more money." That didn't interest me."
- Dennis Miller
Old 01-13-2004, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I feel this administration was dealt some ****ty cards to begin with and are dealing with it as best they can and of course, it isn't going to be good enough for everyone.
Marissa, darling, you know I adore you, but I had to reply to this.

Dubya was dealt no ****ty cards, IMO. If eight years of peace and prosperity and the strongest American economy since after WWII are "****ty cards," then I only hope our future presidents are so cursed.

If you would care to elaborate on what "****ty cards" Dubya was dealt to begin with, that would be awesome.

Who are really getting dealt the "****ty cards" now? The lower and middle class working people of the United States after Bush's tax cut for the richest 1% of the population. I know my family does not and barring a Powerball lottery win will NEVER fit into that category. Cutting taxes for the rich means that the lower/middle class has to make up the difference. Robbing the poor to help the rich? Now that is criminal.

Last edited by Merf; 01-13-2004 at 02:18 PM..
Old 01-13-2004, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob67
Holding a morning prayer session is hardly extremist.
I didn't say it was.

I said that forcing people to pray is extremist. He forces them to pray and if they refuse, he refuses to let them take part in his meetings. It's not only ridiculous, it's offensive.

And you don't think that someone who believes God actually *speaks* to him is an extremist? Once again, let's agree to disagree.

Old 01-13-2004, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention

And Rob and Jason are like one-legged men in a butt kicking contest; they can't win with us.
Well, considering gldstwmn will never party with me again if I win . . . .

Seruiously, I think we all hold our own!!!!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 01-13-2004, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Did anyone watch...

Quote:
Originally posted by estranged4life
the "Today Show" this morning? Paul O'Neill was interviewed and he had a few interesting things to say:

He doesnt see the Treasury Dept. investigation as a payback from the Bush administration...He would have done the same thing himself.

He will vote for Bush in the upcoming election because he believes there isn't a candidate that is as qualified as the current President.

He feels the political process in the U.S. is broken and unfixable due to "bi-partisan politics".

--------------------------

It was quite an interesting listen IMHO...

Brian j.
I might as well have written that except for the vitong for W part!!!

Old 01-13-2004, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob67
Well, first, I don't support him on everything. Second, he isn't what I would classify as a religious extremist. I am talking about cultists (see Branch Davidians), and extremists like militant Muslim groups. I guess you could include the KKK if you want a "Christian" based example.

Rob
W is far from a religious extremist when compared to P. Robertson, etc.

Old 01-13-2004, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

He believes that God speaks to him. He believes that God tells him to do things. He requires that all of his staff pray before each meeting or else they will be barred until they do so. He constantly works God into his speeches.
They are not required to pray. That is just flat out false. Please site the source for that.

Old 01-13-2004, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
They are not required to pray. That is just flat out false. Please site the source for that.
Let me do some digging and I will. I read it in an article from Esquire back in November (or early December).

Old 01-13-2004, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Merf

Dubya was dealt no ****ty cards, IMO. If eight years of peace and prosperity and the strongest American economy since after WWII are "****ty cards," then I only hope our future presidents are so cursed.

If you would care to elaborate on what "****ty cards" Dubya was dealt to begin with, that would be awesome.

Who are really getting dealt the "****ty cards" now? The lower and middle class working people of the United States after Bush's tax cut for the richest 1% of the population. I know my family does not and barring a Powerball lottery win will NEVER fit into that category. Cutting taxes for the rich means that the lower/middle class has to make up the difference. Robbing the poor to help the rich? Now that is criminal.
Oh Come on

The economy was well on its way into a recession when W took office. Moreover, economic theory and history prove that tax cuts are the way to improve the economy. Do you have a credible economic source to refute that? Finally, when you give a tax cut to everyone, the people who pay the most taxes are going to get the most benefit. Maybe you are for giving tax cuts only to people determined by some arbitrary poverty line, but I am not. I mean it takes many many arbitrarily defined poor people to make up the tazes on on very wealthy purchase like a $325,000 Rolls Royce, which gets about a 7-9% sales tax and then the fed. luxusry tax and perhaps the fed. gas guzzler tax, and, perhaps ad volrem tax (each state and municipality is different) for a total of about $50,000 - $75,000. It would take about 30 to 40 $32,500 car buyers to make up this revenue for the city, state, etc. This is a somewhat silly example I agree, but it does illustrate the point that tax cuts should be for everyone. I mean why does everyone think the rich don't deserve a break? That to me is prejudice.

Having said all of that (Phew ) that is why I am for a flat income federal tax of 20% with do deductions whatsoever. That way everyone pays their share and no favorites are created.

Last edited by strandinthewind; 01-13-2004 at 03:04 PM..
Old 01-13-2004, 03:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Let me do some digging and I will. I read it in an article from Esquire back in November (or early December).
I am pretty sure W and the a$$hole Ashcroft have prayer meetings/breakfasts, but no one is required to go. I have a friend who works at the DOJ in DC and he certainly would not go. My problem with prayer breakfasts is that they should not be done on the govt's dime and they smack of "if you do not go, which is your option, you are going to miss something important to your job." That is wrong strongarming to me. Yet, they have been in existence since Washington was President. So, I guess they are sadly here to stay.

Old 01-13-2004, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Merf

Word. I just hope we can get back to that place.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by gldstwmn
Word. I just hope we can get back to that place.
Interestingly, I think the worst of W's mistakes was that he and his administration were told Al-Q was the biggest looming threat. But, they did not take that information and run with it. We all know how that turned out. Note: I am not saying W consciously knew of the suicide attack plans, I am just saying that the info. was there and his admin. could not put it together. In fairness, I am not sure anyone could have put the pieces together to stop the events of 9/11. Hopefully, we will do better in the future.

Also, Clinton did not have eight years of peace. That is just wrong. Somalia, Bosnia, the first WTC attack, the attack pon the Cole, the attacks on our embassy (I think ) in Kenya, the attack on our troops' barracks in I forget where. Although these events standing alone pale in comparison to the 9/11 attacks, taken together they are a pretty close second. So, I submit it was not all wine and roses.

Last edited by strandinthewind; 01-13-2004 at 03:12 PM..
Old 01-13-2004, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So, I submit it was not all wine and roses.
No, it was wine and caviar, whereas now, we're dining on sparkling grape juice and Price Rite cheese spread.

Old 01-13-2004, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No, it was wine and caviar, whereas now, we're dining on sparkling grape juice and Price Rite cheese spread.
I HATE CHEESE SPREAD!!!!!!

Old 01-13-2004, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I HATE CHEESE SPREAD!!!!!!
Then vote Democrat.