User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
This is just for the songs from the white album.
Oh, didn't read the directions -- or the thread title!

Michele
Old 04-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sugar Daddy is my favorite song on the White Album. And always has been my favorite.

Opinions are like a**holes. Some are bigger than others.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyman10 View Post
But it's not a million miles away from the sort of thing the woman has said about herself from time to time. I mean, does anyone read the Blue Letter Archives at all any more? I just went and had a quick look and found this:

"Let's face it, I'm an adequate amateur at best. At heart, I still like to play the blues more than anything else."
C. McVie, interview in "Contemporary Keyboard" (1980)
i think you might be mixing typical British self deprecating ways of expression (recent Colin Firth interviews and acceptance speeches are good examples), very different from trying to project a grandiose picture of yourself in order to sell your qualities (we are used to hearing that from people like Stevie ("highly successful cleaning lady" "first woman rocking" etc) or Lindsey ("visionary" - even though that originated from RS, but he does love repeating it), and Mick even though British seems to have some similar inclinations). that said, i have to admit i haven't read the interviews with Christine you are referring to but she strikes me as a self-deprecating dry-humor type.

The "used to likes" - Crystal, Blue Letter

Songs that could have been better – World Turning - i love it, but the version somewhere in between the album and live would be perfect

Everybody's favorite but not mine – Rhiannon

Much better performed live – I'm So Afraid

Last edited by elle; 04-05-2011 at 01:22 PM..
Old 04-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Worst Lyrics-Sugar Daddy

The "used to likes"-Over My Head

Songs that could have been better-Over My Head

Everybody's favorite but not mine-I'm So Afraid, not that I don't like it, I just don't get why it deserves a 30 minute long rendition live.

Much better performed live-Landslide

Overall least favorite-Warm Ways
Old 04-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyman10 View Post
The bit about her proper place being in a pub band was harsh, as I've conceded. But I really would urge all Ledgies to spend a little time reading the archives on this board, because it's easy to build up an image of someone that is quite at variance with most things they've ever said or done in public.
I don't think Christine's interviews are exactly at variance with the public's perception of her. If anything, I might think of her as being at variance with herself. Meaning she sometimes describes her role as one thing, when in reality it was quite a lot more.

I don't know if it was an article or an essay someone wrote, but I recall reading a discussion of the passive, pliant, needy nature of Christine's song lyrics. Oh, think about me, every once in a while, type pleas. I'll be here waiting. And of course, many of her songs do have that element. Even Lindsey said that he thought Christine's influence made Stevie's music less agressive and masculine than it had been before, which I found an odd observation. In fact, I might argue that he made Christine more feminine sometimes (i.e. Hold Me).

At any rate, my reaction to that article about the docile nature of Christine's song lyrics was to think, well that's fine but look at her life. She got to where she was on strength, skill and talent and I don't think she played second fiddle to anyone in that band, man or woman. She might have been a doormat in her love life and maybe her lyrics reflected that, but in her professional life she was not at all subservient. For me her songs didn't have to make a statement, because the life she led as a musician and songwriter, spoke for her. She didn't have to talk about equality, because she exemplified it.

And many of the things I know about her, aren't something I've heard her discuss in interviews. She doesn't talk about how she pretty much led rehearsals for the group. Kept things on track. I hear her do that on demos. If I listened to her in interviews, I would think she just sat back in a corner being a quiet part of the rhythm section and that wasn't the case. Before joining FM, I don't think she was just sitting at home waiting for John to return from the road and give her a sense of completion either. I think what she said and did were sometimes two different things, and one doesn't necessarily contradict the other, it just provides a fuller picture.

Michele
Old 04-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thankyou for posting that, Michele I wanted to say something similar but just couldn't form the words without getting wound up.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 04-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't forget to PM me your predictions. I've only received 2 so far!

Least Favorite White album Christine
Least Favorite White album Lindsey
Least Favorite White album Stevie
Least Favorite Song from the white album

Deadline is Thursday @ noon (central US time)
Old 04-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Sugar Daddy is my favorite song on the White Album. And always has been my favorite.
:
Amen!!!!!!! And the lyrics are witty, quite sassy.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Worst Lyrics - I'm so Afraid

The "used to likes" - Actually, I still love all the songs on this record.

Songs that could have been better - Crystal--more precisely, Stevie's harmonies on this, which aren't as powerful as they are on the BN record.

Everybody's favorite but not mine - Maybe Landslide?

Much better performed live - I'm So Afraid

Overall least favorite - Hard to say. It's my favorite Mac album for a reason...
Old 04-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Amen!!!!!!! And the lyrics are witty, quite sassy.
I don't even care about the lyrics!!!
I just think that piano, and B-3, and guitar solo, make for the perfekt FM song!
Old 04-06-2011, 03:18 AM
Junior Ledgie

Worst Lyrics - Warm Ways... (sorry Chris!!)

The "used to likes" - I'm So Afraid, World Turning, Warm Ways...now I'm a bit bored of them

Songs that could have been better - I'm So Afraid, Crystal

Everybody's favorite but not mine - Landslide...that song has gotten so popular

Much better performed live - Rhiannon, I'm So Afraid, Say You Love Me...

Overall least favorite - I'm So Afraid
Old 04-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Junior Ledgie

Worst Lyrics - Warm Ways

The "used to likes" - Sugar Daddy

Songs that could have been better - World Turning

Everybody's favorite but not mine - probably I'm So Afriad

Much better performed live - Rhiannon

Overall least favorite - Warm Ways
Old 04-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well "Sugar Daddy" sure does bring out something in everybody doesn't it!

I like the song. Its fun and carefree.

Worst Lyrics - I'm So Afraid; though some of Stevie's make me wonder

The "used to likes" - none really; I've only been a fan for a little over a year so I haven't tired of any yet.

Songs that could have been better - Crystal; should've been more duet-style

Everybody's favorite but not mine - Rhiannon

Much better performed live - Landslide; esp w/Lindsey

Overall least favorite - I'm So Afraid; you didn't think I say a Christine/Stevie song did ya!
Old 04-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I don't think Christine's interviews are exactly at variance with the public's perception of her. If anything, I might think of her as being at variance with herself. Meaning she sometimes describes her role as one thing, when in reality it was quite a lot more.

I don't know if it was an article or an essay someone wrote, but I recall reading a discussion of the passive, pliant, needy nature of Christine's song lyrics. Oh, think about me, every once in a while, type pleas. I'll be here waiting. And of course, many of her songs do have that element. Even Lindsey said that he thought Christine's influence made Stevie's music less agressive and masculine than it had been before, which I found an odd observation. In fact, I might argue that he made Christine more feminine sometimes (i.e. Hold Me).

At any rate, my reaction to that article about the docile nature of Christine's song lyrics was to think, well that's fine but look at her life. She got to where she was on strength, skill and talent and I don't think she played second fiddle to anyone in that band, man or woman. She might have been a doormat in her love life and maybe her lyrics reflected that, but in her professional life she was not at all subservient. For me her songs didn't have to make a statement, because the life she led as a musician and songwriter, spoke for her. She didn't have to talk about equality, because she exemplified it.

And many of the things I know about her, aren't something I've heard her discuss in interviews. She doesn't talk about how she pretty much led rehearsals for the group. Kept things on track. I hear her do that on demos. If I listened to her in interviews, I would think she just sat back in a corner being a quiet part of the rhythm section and that wasn't the case. Before joining FM, I don't think she was just sitting at home waiting for John to return from the road and give her a sense of completion either. I think what she said and did were sometimes two different things, and one doesn't necessarily contradict the other, it just provides a fuller picture.

Michele
Christgau might be the (original) source for the Stevie-Christine dichotomy in his review of Rumours:

Quote:
[T]he cute-voiced woman writes and sings the tough lyrics and the husky-voiced woman the vulnerable ones
I disagree with Christgau. To me, Stevie's songs signify a far more delicate emotional state--she can't get over Lindsey and she keeps the battle going (dooming him to not be able to get over her) in "Silver Springs," "Dreams," "Gold Dust Woman" (she's driven to cocaine by heartache!), "I Don't Want To Know" (she can't handle the truth... a repeated Rumours motif). Meanwhile, Christine, says to her ex: "Don't Stop!" (get over it!), on "Songbird" she bears the collective's pain through her muse, "You Make Loving Fun"--she's over it and feeling good and comfortable with her womanly needs, and I've written on the blues-bearing complexity of "Oh, Daddy".

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Another announcement

Deadline for your predictions is tomorrow at Noon.

The poll for Least fav Christine song White album is tomorrow afternoon.