Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I [heart] Tatiana Nicole Del Toro

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ I don't think I can't discuss this show with you anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz View Post
One girl (the diagram girl) said she sung from "the wrong rectum".
Is that the one who kept talking about her "traysheeah?" (trachea.)
Old 01-21-2009, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
Is that the one who kept talking about her "traysheeah?" (trachea.)
She reminded me of someone with Asperger's Syndrome. And her voice was actually kind of cool; it was her affect and presentation that was...off.

I love this show.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
^ I don't think I can't discuss this show with you anymore.
Who me?? I know. I'm no fun. It's just that until I find a contestant to fall in love and really get behind, I just really enjoy those who are ... interesting and excessively human and not boring.

My alltime favorite Idol contestant, Sanjaya Malakar, just released a book and an EP. The EP is actually really good and is only 4 bucks download on amazon.com and one of the tracks is free. It's called: Dancing To the Music In My Head. Don't just listen to the samples though; the songs should be heard. Especially I like Track 2: "I Got It For You".

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Episode 4 (Louisville) Recap

Something about the South makes for better singers. Too bad the show's simplistic treatment of Mudd history/folklore proved typical of its condescending approach to American culture and humanity in general, really.

I'm keeping an open mind about all those who made it to Hollywood, even Joanna Pacitti with her crocodile tears and crocodile smile. However, there was one I loved!

My favorite last night was:

Leneshe Young - Forget the sob story and focus on the star quality. She ended the night with a breezy, witty, sexy original song titled "Natty." I'm not saying she's the greatest thing out there (she's probably a dime a dozen among those trying to break into the bizz) but she is the best thing on this show so far. I also suspect she'll be a tough competitor: she's got the "teeth" Simon wanted from Stevie Wright.

Others that I (especially) liked:

Matt Giraud - For some reason, the fact that he's a duelling pianist makes me hopeful that he'll be an interesting addition to the competition. Maybe something about how those roots in Southern musical tradition might bring some creative, resonant musical interpretations. Or he could just be Elliott Yamin 2.0. With better teeth.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

American Idol - Season 8
Episode 5 (Jacksonville) Recap

In an essay reprinted in Deeper Into Movies, Pauline Kael wrote about some shameful critical practices:

They were so superior to the subject that they never dealt with it. Now it more frequently takes the form of a wisecracking put-down. And that's the bottom of the trap, because, as all critics know, the worst danger of the profession is that one may sink to the level of what one is reviewing.

One must fight not to sink to the level of condescension displayed on American Idol when reviewing American Idol, especially given that there was no audition of note in last night's program. However, I do think, in order to avoid retain my humanity, it is worth relaying two moments of inhumanity that went unacknowledged in the course of the show. And -- most shockingly -- these moments weren't even acted out by the judges:

Naomi Sykes sings "Loving You" to the judges, Ryan, and a friend of hers who crushes on Randy (long story). She's terrible. After the judges mock her throughout and after the performance, she cries. She explains (I paraphrase): "Everybody always tells me I'm great." Her friend stifles a smile: she got to meet Randy and get on TV, riding on the bum high note of her delusional "friend."

Michael Perrelli loses his cool when he finds out that he can't use his guitar during his audition. (Since this is, like, his fourth audition in the process, this must have been a set-up.) He sings "Jumper" in a contemporary rock/punk/emo/greenday style. He breaks down under the constructive advice -- "Start a band" -- since he wanted the easy route to stardom via America Idol. When he exits sans golden ticket and with tears in his eyes, his mom reaches out to comfort him -- she takes on a familiar role. Hyper-aware of the camera, he snarls: "Don't touch me!" What a recognizable moment of shame, captured for the delectation of millions.

That's show business.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I was kind of bored last night. I liked the guy that sang Marvin Gaye, but he'd better calm down a bit in Hollywood. That young girl who sang the Fergie song was good too.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I was kind of bored last night. I liked the guy that sang Marvin Gaye, but he'd better calm down a bit in Hollywood. That young girl who sang the Fergie song was good too.
I thought she was nasally.

SPOILER: this just in: Lil Rounds makes it to the Top 36.

blah

Old 01-29-2009, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Episode 6 (SLC) Recap

Episode 6 (SLC) Recap

The highlight of last night's show was, once again, Tatiana Del Toro. After 3 weeks of the auditions, Tatiana emerges as the only star of the season, so far. Her two brief appearances in the Hollywood Week teaser stirred the senses. Her glamour pose under the stage lights made the anticipation and awe of Hollywood Week palpable. Then, to spotlight Hollywood Week group-song drama, the teaser featured beautious Tatiana crying out that she's being "thrown under the bus" and that this is "not a game" to her. Indeed, Tatiana embodies the fodder that Hollywood (the town, the industry, the Week) usually chews up and spits out -- yet, her resolve and signature giggle make her endearing and invites imaginative identification. Even Idol digs the vibe generated by Tatiana's buzz (both The Soup and Best Week Ever tagged her -- and her infectious laugh -- as the show's highlight last week). If you're taking odds on Tatiana or the bus, you might want to place your money on Tatiana the underdog.

Sadly, you won't be able to bet on last night's most noteworthy auditioner: Austin Sisneros. As the overachieving high school class president, Austin's aww-shucks All-American pluck is one of those types that American Idol ought to feature. Austin, Tatiana, and Megan Corkrey could be supporting characters in a Robert Altman epic. Another recognizable type and notable audition: the scarily ambitious Megan Corkrey got through to Hollywood on a jazz rendition on "Can't Help Lovin That Man of Mine," which provided ironic counterpoint to a backstory which insinuated that she divorced her husband so that she could have her go at Idol gold. I wouldn't be surprised if Megan is driving that bus with Tatiana in the sights.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 01-29-2009 at 11:27 AM..
Old 01-29-2009, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Megan is cool. Vocal reminds me of Fiona Apple. I liked Rose too. And I agree with Simon - those are 2 of the very few that I'll remember when they start the Hollywood episodes.

What was with all the religious songs last night? I assume it's because they were in Mormon country?
Old 01-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Episode 7 (NYC & PR) Recap

Episode 7 (NYC & PR) Recap

People hate Tatiana Del Toro because she works harder than any contestant in Idol history, boasting that she will win every contest until she ultimately gains her crown. And what irks them more: despite that, she's not a robot. Everything about her self-constructed image -- some would call it delusion, I'd call it body armor -- reflects back at the audience the shameful nightmare -- the exploitation -- behind our entertainment dream factory. Yet, in the face of it, she laughs. Her hysterical laugh conveys triumph and hope, but it's the triumph and hope of her humanity remaining intact. It's the part of her that can't be contained, and it provides the impact of which stars are truly made. Ironically, letting slip that humanity teases out audience's shame from under the show's condescension -- people don't like to be reminded what it takes to succeed or, more painfully, to fail trying. (Freud could explain it better than I.)

When she's under fire from the judges, she strikes a pose so photogenically right it could only be the product of years studying one's self in the mirror, the rigor it requires to be a star. If anyone doubts why she belongs in the Top 36, I'd challenge you to name another contestant this year who looks better on camera. Repeating last night's Hollywood Week teaser, Idol presents a, to some unrecognizable, Tatiana out of her make up and "Under The Sea"-prom dress -- and she's a stunning natural beauty. Attesting to her hard work -- and her essential goodness -- she lashes back at her fellow contestants and at reality television convention, with its glorification of backstabbing heartlessness: "You're trying to throw me under the bus, but this is not a game to me!" Wow! She transforms the reality game of American Idol into a moral challenge (while recalling a phrase from the recent Presidential Election -- a phrase that acts as a displacement of unseemly political ambition). Now that she's in the Top 36, that challenge is directed at the voting audience. It's needed. Democracy hasn’t tested Americans ability to confront its shame in the form of psychosexual spectacle since. . . Sarah Palin.

Ahhhhhhh, Puerto Rico (from whence Tatiana also rose from the bubbling sea). There, even a "joke" contestant like Joel Contreras displays undeniable charms -- and folk wit (singing the Lion King's "Circle of Life" with a Lion Puppet on his hand). So, not surprisingly, PR boasts the season's sole male standout, so far, in the Top 36: Jorge Nunez. He could be the first contestant to bust down the doors of the Idol closet by expanding definitions of machismo romanticism. Idol may be a game, but the struggle for compassionate pop is not.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default WARNING: SPOILERS - The Top 36

WARNING: SPOILERS - These are the official but unannounced Top 36

Just very rough notes as I try to keep track of this year's contestants. Nothing serious, just my way of remembering them.

Thumbs Up!

Tatiana Del Toro - THUMBS UP!!!!!
Stevie Wright - Named after Stevie Nicks!
Casey Carlson - super cute girl who auditioned in KC.
Alexander Wagner-Trugman - God Save The Queen.
Jorge Nunez - Flaming PR.
Von Smith - hahaha.

Jury's Out - plus

Matt Giraud - Dueling piano.
Jackie Tohn - Raspy voiced, guitar player. Can sing.
Michael *unsure of last name- probably Michael Bartul - Blond guy they kept showing.
Megan Corkrey - Divorced her husband to get on Idol.
Kendall Beard - Blonde we saw for 2 seconds.

Jury's Out - minus

Adam Lambert - Broadway musical star.
Ann Marie Boskovich - the girl who fixed her make up.
Anoop Desai - Anoop Dogg. I found him boring.
Arianna Ayesha Afsar - Adopt a grandfriend.
Brent Keith - creepy flesh-colored beard country singer.
Alexis Grace - Dr. Feelgood. Go home and make love to your fiance.

Thumbs Down!

Danny Gokey - widower
Jasmine Murray - Sang Fergie's "Big Girls Don't Cry" through her sinuses.
Joanna Pacitti - THE PLANT Cryptkeeper.
Kai Kalama - I didn't like him but the girls did.
Lil Rounds - Overrated.
Matt Breitzke - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! The bar singer.
Scott MacIntyre - Blind pianist.
Taylor Vaifanua - Twookie.

Who?

Allison Iraheta - She sang natural woman on the tatiana episode.
Jeanine Vailes
Jessica Langseth
Junot Joyner
Kristen McNamara - Purple hair and I have no memory of her.
Kris Allen - Totally don’t' remember. Wearing a hat.
Mishavonna Henson - No memory.
Nate McGee - No memory.
Nick Western
Ricky Braddy - No memory.
Stephen Fowler

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 01-31-2009 at 08:12 AM..
Old 01-31-2009, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

(omg Tatiana quoted my posts here on her Myspace page! )

Old 02-01-2009, 12:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, she did. She says her mom sent it to her. And judging by how your ledge name, "addicted ledgie" status, and post number are included, it was read right off of here, and not from your blog. Funny.

So, Tatiana's mom, if you are reading, are you a regular Ledge reader, or did you stumble upon this site?
Old 02-02-2009, 07:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious knid View Post
Wow, she did. She says her mom sent it to her. And judging by how your ledge name, "addicted ledgie" status, and post number are included, it was read right off of here, and not from your blog. Funny.

So, Tatiana's mom, if you are reading, are you a regular Ledge reader, or did you stumble upon this site?
I was thinking she must have her daughter's name in a google alert? and this just happened to pop up. it's weird, those google alerts can be unpredictable, so it's possible the Ledge showed up but my blog didn't? OR maybe she was on the site finding out how to get Mac tickets for the upcoming tour? THAT would be awesome!!

Hi Momma Del Toro!