User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
... I think Lindsey would just feel ganged up on by Stevie bringing in Dave Stewart into the mix. I'm not saying it's logical at all .
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
... Lindsey can work with people fine, as long as they aren't telling him what to do. If they offer suggestions and not orders, he can bend -- although not exactly like a willow. Dave could be the spoonful of sugar that makes Lindsey's medicine go down, for Stevie and vice versa.

Michele
Didn't I hear that Lindsey said if there is another FM album, they would bring in an outside producer? Maybe not neccesarily Dave S., but an outside producer nonetheless. Of course this producer would have to get along with the 4 Mac members.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's true. She hasn't said anything since the Unleashed tour ended, indicating that that must have been an ok experience for her.

Also, I wouldn't expect Dave to be on Stevie's side Louie. Rather than cater to her, Dave seems to have drawn Stevie out. If anything, he knows how to butter her up, so that doing something that she would reflexively resist is easier for her. I could see him colloborating with both equally, but in different ways. If he appears to have no ego, he might not bother Lindsey. Lindsey can work with people fine, as long as they aren't telling him what to do. If they offer suggestions and not orders, he can bend -- although not exactly like a willow. Dave could be the spoonful of sugar that makes Lindsey's medicine go down, for Stevie and vice versa.

Michele
And, under those circumstances Lindsey might actually welcome Dave with open arms. Of course, the question is how long can Dave go without ruffling her feathers, because I think eventually everyone does.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:53 PM

I could see having this much fuss if these guys were actually creative anymore... I would so much love to see them stop bitching and whining and make a solid album of 50 min of new music. Sit down, write some tunes together, rehearse, record.. dare I say in a reasonable amount of time... Tour the new album, change the setlist nightly.. and say.. "thank you for still having interest in us."
Old 02-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I could see having this much fuss if these guys were actually creative anymore... I would so much love to see them stop bitching and whining and make a solid album of 50 min of new music. Sit down, write some tunes together, rehearse, record.. dare I say in a reasonable amount of time... Tour the new album, change the setlist nightly.. and say.. "thank you for still having interest in us."
Wow. I LIKE that. The most rational idea anyone has had in eons...or ever!
Old 02-26-2011, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Wow. I LIKE that. The most rational idea anyone has had in eons...or ever!
Agreed. The reason why Fleetwood Mac's music has degraded over the decades is because they don't just throw the BS out the window and sit down and get to work in a reasonable fashion. The '75 Mac album is just sublime, and it was completed in what, 2 months flat? I think they just need to check their egos and neuroses at the door, sit down, and focus on making d@mn good music. Stop tweaking the life and soul out of it for 18 months straight. I think the band still has it in them to make fantastic music. They just need to adjust the way they work. Walk in the door with a clean slate, and leave having collaborated with each other. It's really quite simple...
Old 02-26-2011, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^Exactly. Why analyze every move to death and then overreact. Get over yourselves!
Old 02-26-2011, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
You know most of what you wrote could actually happen, but then you through in that part of about changing the setlist nightly. That's where you went totally off the reality rails.

Michele
Old 02-26-2011, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

We should pay to have Dave Stewart involved for his twitter action alone. We'd get weekly tidbits about the album's progress, not to mention an occasional photo or two. We'd have an inside window into Fleetwood Mac that the band would never give us.

Well, they might give us some kind of DR thing after the fact, but they wouldn't give us zip as far as contemporaneous updates go.

And sense our own guys might not be inclined to repeat Destiny Rules, having Dave would ensure us a dvd too.

So, we might get a crummy album, but the back stage glimpses might almost make up for that, in my warped book.

Michele
Old 02-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Ledgie

Hello Michele: Are we sure that Dave Stewart can't produce a good Mac cd? I believe he might be just what the band needs to stimulate the creative juices. Am i totally out in left field? Please say a little more on this subject. Best regards, Madelow.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
We should pay to have Dave Stewart involved for his twitter action alone. We'd get weekly tidbits about the album's progress, not to mention an occasional photo or two. We'd have an inside window into Fleetwood Mac that the band would never give us.

Well, they might give us some kind of DR thing after the fact, but they wouldn't give us zip as far as contemporaneous updates go.

And sense our own guys might not be inclined to repeat Destiny Rules, having Dave would ensure us a dvd too.

So, we might get a crummy album, but the back stage glimpses might almost make up for that, in my warped book.

Michele
I hadn't considered that. Brilliant.

Your typos concern me though. Drinking and Ledging?

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Michele
This. But didn't one of Lindsey's nieces, Coby or Courtney...I can't emember her name but it was Co-something...have a very well-written, witty tour diary going during the SYW tour? They tried it back then! Though these days I am fully aware the terse consistency of Twitter owns, there is something really refreshing and personal about a few paragraphs with silly things about band members throughout.

I love FM, but I COMPLETELY agree with what jbrownsjr wrote. Well said and true.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
For so many decades now, she's been a puzzle. She appears most of the time to have no outwardly emotional or artistic reason to remain a member of Fleetwood Mac, & yet she never just flat-out leaves the band, either.

What the hell does she actually want with or from them? Is the little insecure girl inside still looking for acceptance from them?

There is neurosis at work here (in her words & actions), but I can't quite characterize it satisfactorily.

But I will say that, if she were a genuinely good songwriter, she'd get classic, powerful songs out of this schizoidness. The fact that she doesn't, year after year, is just one more reason for me to doubt her self-professed artistry. That, too, is beginning to seem like a neurosis working itself out.

She'd make a fascinating subject of a book--written by a real writer. You're all always saying how you're looking forward to Stevie's own book, but that would be as lifeless & noncommittal & even inert as most of her music-making is these days. We'll never get a great book from her; but maybe one day we'll get a great book about her. [B]The mistake her fans make is ascribing their attraction to her to the belief that she's the Da Vinci--she is not, but she is the Mona Lisa[/B.

Yeah but what female recording artist is not the Mona Lisa.
Musically speaking - what can you extract from say Linda Ronstadt, Pat Benatar, or even Madonna as well as many other famous females & attribute that directly to them and not their session/band players or producers!

Stevie's has the distinction of being a big part of the the famous FM sound, as well as being a strong solo attraction on the basis of her unique vocal styling, lyrics, unusual songwriting structures AND her persona. All those ingredients are enviable enough to stand on there own merit! Stevie has made arguably 4 good to great solo records, and it's not fair to dismiss her solo output. Lindsey B. had a couple of solo stickers himself. Give Miss Nicks credit where credit is due

By inferring that Stevie is the art, but not the Artist is just plain insulting. She IS both! Just the 15 years of great prolific songwriting (70ish to-85') is more than enough great songwriting to deserve recognition and respect for a lifetime.

Last edited by Christopher; 02-26-2011 at 09:25 PM..
Old 02-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Yeah but what female recording artist is not the Mona Lisa.
Musically speaking - what can you extract from say Linda Ronstadt, Pat Benatar, or even Madonna as well as many other famous females & attributed that directly to them and not their session/band players or producers!
I don't know those women well enough, but certainly it would be pointless to speak of the instrumentation or orchestration of their tracks & attribute it to them, the way it also would be with Stevie.

Quote:
Stevie's has the distinction of being a big part of the the famous FM sound
The sound I was referring to -- I probably wasn't being clear enough -- is something Stevie had no part of.

Quote:
as well as being a strong solo attraction on the basis of her unique vocal styling, lyrics, unusual songwriting structures AND her persona. All those ingredients are enviable enough to stand on there own merit! Stevie has made arguably 4 good to great solo records, and it's not fair to dismiss her solo output.
But these are questions of taste. The "greatness" of Stevie's solo albums is going to vary from this person to that person. I don't consider any of her solo albums great. I like listening to a bunch of them, & sing along & play the songs on the piano & watch her give concerts on TV & all that other stuff, but I don't extrapolate greatness from my sort of mindless enjoyment. I don't find great truths in her lyrics, the way others do. Truth to tell, I find greater truth in her singing than in her lyrics. I think it's her voice & her physical cuteness that are the basis of my excited response to her.

Quote:
Lindsey B. had a couple of solo stickers himself.
Again, these are questions of taste or preference. I like his very first album, but the rest of it I don't really care for. It doesn't seem to have held lasting interest for me.

Quote:
Give Miss Nicks credit where credit is due
I give her credit (if that's the right word) for being a nice person in a business overrun with egotism & arrogance, for being a great performer, & for being an excellent pop singer. I hope I never said otherwise on the Ledge. If I did, I might have been trolling.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
^I just said all of the exact same things on the Stevie board, David... and I was jumped all over!
They shouldn't have done that to you, Louie. You're all right. Didn't you ever friend me on Facebook?

Quote:
Like I said on the Stevie board, nearly debilitating insecurity is most certainly the root cause of all of Stevie's... Stevieness . She really wasn't taken seriously at all within the band for her first 10-15 years. And I honestly think she's been making them repay that the past 10-15 years. She gets an obscene cut of the touring money. She badmouths Lindsey and the band in the press every chance she can get. She almost seems like somebody who's trying too hard at a high school reunion when it comes to Fleetwood Mac.
Could be. Interesting analogy, too. Assuming all this is more or less true, something keeps pulling her back into that sphere. She used to talk about how guilty she would feel if she walked away from her solo career -- she worried about all the other people who worked for her who would, I guess, be unemployed. Maybe that's part of it with Fleetwood Mac, too.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-26-2011, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
They shouldn't have done that to you, Louie. You're all right.
That's your opinion, and may be Louies as well. But by no means is it law or even close to a fact. Just plain conjecture as everything slung around here is. So what shouldn't we have done? Not voice our 1st amendment right to free speech. There are many diverse opinions that go down here. No one is right. History will judge, maybe 20 years from now, or long after we are dust in the ground.