User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-18-2004, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lightbulb Since I was a kid....

I have always listened to music to calm down and relax. Many a morning, I woke up with my headphones still on.

Suggested listening: Midnight Voices (Justin Guarini's old a capella group) - Relaxing to say the LEAST.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My mind won't rest and I don't sleep...

...seriously...I suppose i've always been a bit of an insomniac but in the past few years it's gotten progressively worse. I'm to the point where I work a ten hour day, come home, talk to Meredith or my friend Vanessa about nothing for several hours, mess around on here and finally at like, 3 in the morning i'll fall asleep and have to wake up and then go back to work again.

When I do have trouble falling asleep i'll:
-listen to music (VH1's insomniac music theater)
-drink my Sleepytime Tea (I need to buy stock in that stuff)
-write
-read Jake's posts (i'm so kidding )
-put on a foreign film (if you have to read subtitles and you have your lights off, you're going to fall asleep for sure)
-watch the Proactiv infomercial for the 40th time.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is very rarely a problem for me, fortunately. However, my boyfriend has terrible problems with insomnia, and it can be really awful and taxing. If your problem is too much quiet, soft TV or radio can help, but I find you should definitely listen to something you are not familiar with. Don't watch a movie where you have every line memorized or listen to music you know every lyric to. It keeps your brain too active to fall asleep, IME. Also, it is recommended that you do not do anything else in your bedroom but sleep (well, with one exception ), especially stressful activities like paperwork, etc. This is because you want your brain to associate that room solely with relaxation. You should not get into bed until you are tired enough to go to sleep so that your brain also does not associate the bedroom with tossing and turning (even if this means nodding off on the couch and moving to bed later). Repeating a word or phrase over and over can help too. It might seem torturous, and there is a bit of a "panic phase" where it's just driving you crazy, but if you persist and get through it it can really work. Do not have loud colors in your bedroom, and if you are able to see your bedding with the lights off, it should not have a crazy pattern and should be a "cool" color. There are also natural supplements that really work. Melatonin is a natural chemical in your brain that triggers relaxation and sleep, so taking a supplement to provide what you may be lacking can work wonders. Other supplements to try are Valerian Root or Formula #16 by Ness (which is calcium and enzymes, and may only be available if prescribed by a Naturopath). Make sure they are quality brand and strength...herbs, etc do not yet have government guidelines, so any old idiot can sell any old crappy product. Look for Standardized products, and liquid-caps or powder-filled caps may be much more easily absorbed by the body than tablets (Melatonin is also often "chewable", which is fine). Most Fred Meyer stores even have a "health/natural" section now, with a knowledgeable employee working the section, so you don't even have to go anywhere "weird" to get the stuff. These all provide really natural-feeling sleep, but be careful to not abuse them even though they are natural. If you use a sleep remedy nightly, it is best to rotate what you are using every week or so because your body begins to get used to it. Also avoid caffiene altogether, if possible, or at least don't have it after 3pm or so (remember, chocolate and some pain relievers have caffiene too). Sugar can also be a major, major culprit. My boyfriend even has problems with Splenda. Try Xylitol or Stevia ( ) as sugar substitutes, and do not eat a carb-laden dinner.
Now that I've filled you with this absolute mountain of information, I will end by saying that you could just be a nightbird who is unfortunately stuck adhering to the ways of this evil world like the rest of us!
*Disclaimer: I am no kind of professional, I just believe wholeheartedly in natural medicine and have done a lot of reading and research about it. *

The aforementioned Rattlesnake Shake (and the female equivalent...I won't share any code expressions for it, out of respect for those who might be offended ), is the most natural wonder cure, of course. (But I know it's still taboo for some...)

Last edited by EveryHour; 05-18-2004 at 06:18 PM..
Old 05-19-2004, 08:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer386
Well, I usually do one of a number of things:

1. Freak out because I can't sleep and am scared that I'll be too tired to be productive the next day (I don't recommend this, lol!).
This is what I do.

- Jake
Old 05-19-2004, 08:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Sex, it's like a sleeping pill.
Hopefully not during.

- Jake
Old 05-19-2004, 08:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie816

Good luck and sweet dreams, Jake.
Thanks, Mama Laurie. (Dream a little dream...)

- Jake
Old 05-19-2004, 08:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadliestPoison
Heh. If there's an infomerical on that I know has a FM clip in it, I have to watch it until I see the clip. Then I can go to bed. So far I've seen one with Dreams and another with Don't Stop, both from Rosebud (at least I think it's Rosebud, I've never seen the whole thing aside from Rhiannon).
I do this too. It's like not turning off The Dance or Red Rocks when it airs even when you own the damn things.

- Jake
Old 05-19-2004, 08:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic

By the way, I wanted to suggest it because I always heard it's a good idea, but it doesn't work on me. No regrets because at the end is a pleasant way to spend time when you can't sleep (and you are alone, of course..)
Yes, usually the nice airlines don't go for this, I imagine.

- Jake
Old 05-19-2004, 08:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tower
These three things are probably why you can't sleep....

I'd rather sleep with the sinners than lie awake as a saint, eh?

- Jake
Old 05-19-2004, 08:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
Another "anxiety-case" here.
Unfortunately though, none of my "remedies" will work for you, Jake, as you've already stated.
Putzing on the internet is one. Watching HGTV, Food Network, TV Land, or Nick-At-Nite is another. Reading is still another. And putting on my headphones and listening to "comfort" music is yet another.

Everyone's going to laugh at what a dork I am, but when I was a teenager, one of the things I used to do when I couldn't sleep... in the same vein as counting sheep... was to lay in bed and list in my head, every single Stevie Nicks song released up until that time, in chronological order. If I made a mistake, I'd start over.
I know it sounds very obsessive-compulsive, but it helped me relax, and took my mind off of the things that were keeping me awake. So for that, it was very effective.
If I tried this, I'd finish doing that list and then come up with ten other lists to obsess over.

- Jake
Old 05-19-2004, 08:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky
Well, Jake....these are the things that I do.

(I am a world league insomniac and nightowl. And I have to do almost all of these things every night to go to sleep.)

1. Hot Bath

2. Double Dose (2 bags) of Sleepytime Tea

3. Eat a chunk of turkey (tryptophan)

4. The 'Hawkeye' Shake always helps. Ask any straight woman. Nothing like an orgasm to make a guy instantly pass out.

5. I always sleep with earplugs. The 35 decibel foam jobbies. I usually put em through the washer and dryer once first to break them in - otherwise they hurt my ears.

6. Also, swimming or a good workout everyday does wonders to exhaust me, and that is part of almost every day too.

Sounds like these things won't work for ya. But they work for me.

I used to take these organic sleeping pills called Calms Forte - and they worked great with no hangover (unlike cold medicine or wine).

That's the sparky sleep guide !
Come to think of it, swinning does work for me in the summer. Thanks.

- Jake
Old 05-19-2004, 08:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia
Jake, have you tried counting your signature thingie? LOL
WHO told you Stevie put her signature on my thingie?

- Jake
Old 05-19-2004, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
I have always listened to music to calm down and relax. Many a morning, I woke up with my headphones still on.

Suggested listening: Midnight Voices (Justin Guarini's old a capella group) - Relaxing to say the LEAST.
Who's Justin Guarini?

- Jake
Old 05-19-2004, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenStateGirlie
-read Jake's posts (i'm so kidding ) .
I imagine reading a few sentences here and there will knock you out. A birdbrain is a terrible thing to waste.

- Jake
Old 05-19-2004, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryHour
This is very rarely a problem for me, fortunately. However, my boyfriend has terrible problems with insomnia, and it can be really awful and taxing. If your problem is too much quiet, soft TV or radio can help, but I find you should definitely listen to something you are not familiar with. Don't watch a movie where you have every line memorized or listen to music you know every lyric to. It keeps your brain too active to fall asleep, IME. Also, it is recommended that you do not do anything else in your bedroom but sleep (well, with one exception ), especially stressful activities like paperwork, etc. This is because you want your brain to associate that room solely with relaxation. You should not get into bed until you are tired enough to go to sleep so that your brain also does not associate the bedroom with tossing and turning (even if this means nodding off on the couch and moving to bed later). Repeating a word or phrase over and over can help too. It might seem torturous, and there is a bit of a "panic phase" where it's just driving you crazy, but if you persist and get through it it can really work. Do not have loud colors in your bedroom, and if you are able to see your bedding with the lights off, it should not have a crazy pattern and should be a "cool" color. There are also natural supplements that really work. Melatonin is a natural chemical in your brain that triggers relaxation and sleep, so taking a supplement to provide what you may be lacking can work wonders. Other supplements to try are Valerian Root or Formula #16 by Ness (which is calcium and enzymes, and may only be available if prescribed by a Naturopath). Make sure they are quality brand and strength...herbs, etc do not yet have government guidelines, so any old idiot can sell any old crappy product. Look for Standardized products, and liquid-caps or powder-filled caps may be much more easily absorbed by the body than tablets (Melatonin is also often "chewable", which is fine). Most Fred Meyer stores even have a "health/natural" section now, with a knowledgeable employee working the section, so you don't even have to go anywhere "weird" to get the stuff. These all provide really natural-feeling sleep, but be careful to not abuse them even though they are natural. If you use a sleep remedy nightly, it is best to rotate what you are using every week or so because your body begins to get used to it. Also avoid caffiene altogether, if possible, or at least don't have it after 3pm or so (remember, chocolate and some pain relievers have caffiene too). Sugar can also be a major, major culprit. My boyfriend even has problems with Splenda. Try Xylitol or Stevia ( ) as sugar substitutes, and do not eat a carb-laden dinner.
Now that I've filled you with this absolute mountain of information, I will end by saying that you could just be a nightbird who is unfortunately stuck adhering to the ways of this evil world like the rest of us!
*Disclaimer: I am no kind of professional, I just believe wholeheartedly in natural medicine and have done a lot of reading and research about it. *

The aforementioned Rattlesnake Shake (and the female equivalent...I won't share any code expressions for it, out of respect for those who might be offended ), is the most natural wonder cure, of course. (But I know it's still taboo for some...)
Wow. It looks like you've thought about this a little already.

- Jake