The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-20-2004, 04:23 PM
Ledgie

After the Glitter Fades is one of Stevie's best songs ever and should not be removed from BD. And Think About It is a fine song.

ANd I love Insider, but if you removed SDMHA, Bella Donna may not have been a hit and ignited her solo career!
Old 07-20-2004, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit
I can see that, though it's not my favorite take on the song, but still, the guy at the end is standing by her, and her big complaint had been that she was alone. So it's still not a downer.

- Jake
That's alright, I'm not fond of your take on it, either.

She is alone because while some dude is telling her he'll stick by her and love her, she can't give those feelings back to him completely. The rule her career has over her is too strong for her to reciprocate those feelings. They've sat across from each other, battling that very issue out every time, and it always ends the same way: her true love is her career and her relationships suffer because of it.

Old 07-20-2004, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snwriter
After the Glitter Fades is one of Stevie's best songs ever and should not be removed from BD. And Think About It is a fine song.
Sorry, they're dull to these ears. Julia is a masterpiece that should've been on the album and Gold and Braid is one of my favorites.

Old 07-20-2004, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
That's alright, I'm not fond of your take on it, either.

She is alone because while some dude is telling her he'll stick by her and love her, she can't give those feelings back to him completely. The rule her career has over her is too strong for her to reciprocate those feelings. They've sat across from each other, battling that very issue out every time, and it always ends the same way: her true love is her career and her relationships suffer because of it.
Where do you see that in the lyrics?

- Jake
Old 07-20-2004, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Where do you see that in the lyrics?

- Jake
Sorry, I had a spasm. She was talking to her friend, not her lover. It doesn't help with that mangled booklet that comes the CD, ya know. But minus her talking to him across the freakin' glass table, my interpretation still stands.

Old 07-20-2004, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sorry, they're dull to these ears. Julia is a masterpiece that should've been on the album and Gold and Braid is one of my favorites.
I think Julia is overrated - not her best vocal. Gold And Braid is great, but nothing can beat the live version from the HBO concert. And nothing should replace TAI or ATGF. Why mess with a perfect album.

- Jake
Old 07-20-2004, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sorry, I had a spasm. She was talking to her friend, not her lover. It doesn't help with that mangled booklet that comes the CD, ya know. But minus her talking to him across the freakin' glass table, my interpretation still stands.
I still don't see it.
The song says, if I recall, that she knows in her heart that he will stand by her, that he can save her, and there's the line that she just went home - meaning she's not in the hotel any longer.

- Jake
Old 07-21-2004, 01:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

annabel lee ! ! !

somewhere deep in the middle of the night baby, i think about you!!! she says somewhere deep in the middle of the night my baby, i think about you!!!! she says i know what it sounds liiike! i know what it sounds liiiiiiiiiiike, i know what it sounds like, it sounds like youuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!
Old 07-21-2004, 08:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think Julia is overrated - not her best vocal. Gold And Braid is great, but nothing can beat the live version from the HBO concert. And nothing should replace TAI or ATGF. Why mess with a perfect album.

- Jake
It's not a perfect album to me. Those two songs drag it down, IMO.

Have you heard the 3-1-81 version from the Blue Lamp reel? That version sends shivers up my spine, it's awe-inspiring. I think it's one of her best vocals, released or unreleased. When she sings "I am free from my slavery," I get goosepimples.

Old 07-21-2004, 08:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I still don't see it.
The song says, if I recall, that she knows in her heart that he will stand by her, that he can save her, and there's the line that she just went home - meaning she's not in the hotel any longer.

- Jake
Yeah, she's saying he'll stand by her, but she's also saying that even if he does stand by her, he can't do much of anyhting to help her.

"So, you can get her
But you can't keep her
And you can't catch her fall
Well, she will call you
When she needs you
You know where she lives
The Imperial Hotel"

When she needs comfort, she'll call him, but otherwise, she's alone. He says not to cry because he can save her, but she knows that's not true.

Old 07-21-2004, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, she's saying he'll stand by her, but she's also saying that even if he does stand by her, he can't do much of anyhting to help her.

"So, you can get her
But you can't keep her
Well, she will call you
When she needs you
You know where she lives
The Imperial Hotel"

When she needs comfort, she'll call him, but otherwise, she's alone. He says not to cry because he can save her, but she knows that's not true.
Do you guys remember the story that "Imperial Hotel" was Stevie's code word for the old Sunset Marquis Hotel on Sunset Boulevard?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-21-2004, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation For Pete's sake...

PLEASE release a Lindsey included Space Needle!!! The dude singing with her at that one part sounds like Vince Gill. LOL In theory, I should hate SN because it's a very long, drawn out, slow, plodding song, but dangit, I love it. It's such a dark song and I love those kind.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's not a perfect album to me. Those two songs drag it down, IMO.

Have you heard the 3-1-81 version from the Blue Lamp reel? That version sends shivers up my spine, it's awe-inspiring. I think it's one of her best vocals, released or unreleased. When she sings "I am free from my slavery," I get goosepimples.
I think I have only two or three versions, & the dates are not labeled.

- Jake
Old 07-21-2004, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

"So, you can get her
But you can't keep her
Well, she will call you
When she needs you
You know where she lives
The Imperial Hotel"

Save her from what? Like I said, she checks out of the hotel to go home.

(It's like we're studying Shakespeare or the Bible here. )

- Jake
Old 07-21-2004, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Save her from what? Like I said, she checks out of the hotel to go home.

(It's like we're studying Shakespeare or the Bible here. )

- Jake
Forget it, you'll just argue for arguments sake. Ask Stevie what she's being saved from (or not being saved from), they're her lyrics.