The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-13-2004, 12:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew

I'm not the first person to say this, so I can't take credit... but being gay ain't for sissies. I wouldn't have chosen to be gay (I scoff at anyone who calls homosexuality a "lifestyle choice"), but I'm glad to now be able to say that I'm happy with who I am and I'm happy to be gay.
It adds a certain amount of complications and difficulties to one's life, but we all have our crosses to bear, so to speak.
That is so weird to me to. Like, what suspension of logic must you employ to think that people "choose" to be gay. And these are often people who are very homophobic. it's like, if you know how people like you(whoever said a-hole is) think about gay people, why would you also think people would choose to have (lame) people feel that way about them??? Seriously, it's a total suspension of logic to me...
Amber

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 10-13-2004, 12:36 AM
Senior Ledgie

Thumbs up

Well...I'm straight and signing in.

I agree that Coming Out Day seems antiquated, but then again I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I also agree that double standards are incredibly annoying.

And I've been denied all of the passion, intrigue, etc. of "Rumours" as well.

And isn't it grand that the Mac have managed to bring all of us together? Just goes to show how universal their music is. We're trying to get a Gay/Straight Alliance at my school, but unfortunately we're under the San Francisco Archdiocese, so it's impossible to have a Gay Straight Alliance. BUT that doesn't mean we can't have exactly the same thing under a different name...
Old 10-13-2004, 12:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by takenbythesky
Well...I'm straight and signing in.

I agree that Coming Out Day seems antiquated, but then again I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I also agree that double standards are incredibly annoying.

And I've been denied all of the passion, intrigue, etc. of "Rumours" as well.

And isn't it grand that the Mac have managed to bring all of us together? Just goes to show how universal their music is. We're trying to get a Gay/Straight Alliance at my school, but unfortunately we're under the San Francisco Archdiocese, so it's impossible to have a Gay Straight Alliance. BUT that doesn't mean we can't have exactly the same thing under a different name...
Wait, does that mean you go to a Catholic school? (by the way, shout out from Oakland, over here on Shattuck Street! I was in the city for school tonight..) Anywhoo, so of course there are still gay people in your school, but they are out? at a catholic school? how does that work? is it fine? do the nuns rap there hands when they act "too gay"? (that was a total joke)
Amber

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 10-13-2004, 12:49 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Wait, does that mean you go to a Catholic school? (by the way, shout out from Oakland, over here on Shattuck Street! I was in the city for school tonight..) Anywhoo, so of course there are still gay people in your school, but they are out? at a catholic school? how does that work? is it fine? do the nuns rap there hands when they act "too gay"? (that was a total joke)
Amber
(Shouts out from San Mateo, 22nd Ave )

Yeah...I go to a Catholic school even though I'm not Catholic. Of course there are gay people at my school. To my knowledge, none of them are out officially out because the homophobia there is so severe. The group I hang around with are theater people, so they have some feminine mannerisms. Some of the teachers make "gay jokes," which is completely inappropriate and annoying, but most are open about it. Even Catholic schools are still sort of intolerant, unfortunately...
Old 10-13-2004, 12:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by takenbythesky
(Shouts out from San Mateo, 22nd Ave )

Yeah...I go to a Catholic school even though I'm not Catholic. Of course there are gay people at my school. To my knowledge, none of them are out officially out because the homophobia there is so severe. The group I hang around with are theater people, so they have some feminine mannerisms. Some of the teachers make "gay jokes," which is completely inappropriate and annoying, but most are open about it. Even Catholic schools are still sort of intolerant, unfortunately...
"Even" Catholic schools? Bwahahahahahaha! Did you see south park, passion of the jews, but the catholic one? Anyways, the Catholic church (italians?) practically invented gay...or maybe just molesting young boys, which is totally different. I'm kidding, but anyways, if your teachers are making gay jokes, that's totally wrong, and would never be acceptable in a non-religious school...doesn't anyone object? I suppose not so much, being a catholic school, but do they remember some stuff jesus said about not judging, and accepting everyone, etc??? And how we're all god's creatures? ALL GOD'S CREATURES!!! Dammit!! Seriously, how do they reconcile that?
Amber

Old 10-13-2004, 12:59 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
"Even" Catholic schools? Bwahahahahahaha! Did you see south park, passion of the jews, but the catholic one? Anyways, the Catholic church (italians?) practically invented gay...or maybe just molesting young boys, which is totally different. I'm kidding, but anyways, if your teachers are making gay jokes, that's totally wrong, and would never be acceptable in a non-religious school...doesn't anyone object? I suppose not so much, being a catholic school, but do they remember some stuff jesus said about not judging, and accepting everyone, etc??? And how we're all god's creatures? ALL GOD'S CREATURES!!! Dammit!! Seriously, how do they reconcile that?
Amber
It bugs me to death, too, and it must be horrendous for those who are gay. I've spoken out once or twice, as have my friends. To be honest, I just want to GRADUATE from the school.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I am going to be the first gay US Senator.

http://www.twitter.com/jtwill84
Old 10-13-2004, 01:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh2003
Cool! But what about Hillary Clinton?

Old 10-13-2004, 01:07 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh2003
I'll be rooting for you!
Old 10-13-2004, 02:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My previous comments were a joke in a Jay Leno tone
Old 10-13-2004, 03:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Cool read...

thus far for what I have read on this thread...But I'm straight as can be.

The first experience I can ever remember with a lesbian (The first gay person I ever knew) was with a big husky biker-chic that worked with my Mother...She was a very cool person who didnt give a 'flyin' f**k' if people hated her for her sexual orientation, Cause I really doubt anyone would pick a fight with her anyway for fear of getting their come-uptance (She could easily kicked plenty of ass of the so called asshole 'alpha male homo-phobes' who lived in the hatred filled cesspool known as hometown of Muskogee, OK...Btw, F**K 'Okie From Muskogee'!!!!)

Hell, I had people assume in high school I was gay because I didnt have a girlfriend (My great friend Trina & myself just never let anyone know we were inseparable outside of school)...LOL!!! I just didnt go outta my way to date anyone cause dating wasnt even important to me since I refused to participate in the usual 'social asskiss' festival of activities of the other teens.

Brian j.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 10-13-2004, 06:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Amber

Yeah, I read "even" too and laughed out loud. Actually, most Catholics I know support gay rights, so even there it is changing. Of course, the Church leaders need to change, too.........

Last edited by GypsySorcerer; 10-03-2010 at 02:20 PM..
Old 10-13-2004, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

National Coming Out Day is antiquated? I think a couple of you ought to take a field trip to the town in Louisiana where I grew up. When I was in high school, there was a group of kids who used to brag about going gay bashing. So, I wasn't about to come out. Although, a lot of people suspected anyway.

Am I the only person who gets annoyed with people who came out when they were 12? Yeah, it's great that the atmosphere was such that they were able to do that, but it makes them almost impossible to relate to. I also have a hard time talking to some of my friends about this, because their coming out experiences were so positive. This one guy I know came out to his mom, and then *she* started dating a woman. There's such a thing as being too accepting.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Really? Why would you be an outcast? You mean when you walk around with your girlfriend? I don't get it...
And to your other point, obviously i see what you mean, but perhaps these people are really trying to sort of comfort you the best way they can think of, you know, let you know they are not judging you. And maybe they are doing it in that less-than-perfect way because they know there is so much prejudice. At least i hope that's what it is. It's kinda lame, yeah, but hopefully at least these people have good intentions.
You should come here...there's lotsa cuties. And I know for sure the gay bar up the street from my house is really fun, and that's just one...you should wait till your 21....
I was just saying I'm an outcast where I live. Where I go to school, people who are gay and actually out are few and far between. And they are usually very extreme and stereotypical. I really throw people because I'm not extreme and stereotypical but I'm still out and very open about it. And I get lots of dirty looks just for wearing rainbows, and every once in awhile some nasty comments. Here is a place where being gay seems to be considered unusual and immoral by most, and most who are hide it well.

I agree with you about the less-than-perfect ways people support gays. I guess people do the best they can, and it's probably pretty damn good, considering how much homophobia there is where I live. And I'm 22 by the way. (Though not much of a drinker. And I get made fun of for that almost as much as I'm ostracized for being a lesbian).

Thanks so much for your words, Johnny and Tower (what is your real name--I feel awfully silly saying "Thanks, The Tower") And I really appreciate your list of advantages to being gay. They are funny and true.

Hillary
Old 10-13-2004, 09:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas
National Coming Out Day is antiquated? I think a couple of you ought to take a field trip to the town in Louisiana where I grew up.
Obviously, I don't know exactly where you're talking about, but I have a good idea of how it is regardless. All I can say is "ditto" a hundred times!

Hillary