User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-26-2003, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by wetcamelfood
Jake, yeah I knew you understood but Strandinthewind is the one I though I may have upset (though it was not my intention) after reading this:

. . .

John
I was speaking in general to everyone.

No harm - No foul!!!!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 06-26-2003, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The way I look at it, the Mac has done more than enough for me. But that may be because I don't feel entitled to anything.

Maybe I am over generalizing, but most Mac/Stevie fans are fans because of the personal connection that is made through the music. Speaking from my own experience, Stevie had written songs that have spoken to me like no other songwriter/musican. I consider her/their music to be an incredible gift that teaches me things and comforts me in difficult times. I can't put a price on that kind of thing, because to me, it's irreplaceable.

As for doing things for financial gain . . . . come on, people! Making music is their "job"! That is how they make a living. Other than Mick and his past financial mismanagement, I can't fathom that they would need to do this because they have limited financial resources. Especially Stevie and Lindsey - they have all those songwriting royalties. If they are out of money, JLo doesn't have a chance!!!

Sure, who won't love to talk to Stevie or Lindsey, or whomever, in person?! But the reality of today is that there are alot of freaks out there. I can certainly understand why Stevie doesn't accept gifts on stage anymore. We can only imagine what stalker types have pursed them in the past. It is a safety issue for them.

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .

Last edited by Mad4stevie; 06-26-2003 at 05:24 PM..
Old 06-26-2003, 05:10 PM
Senior Ledgie

Some of this is coming from the backlash of the Fan Club, and that was unfortunately expected. Some people are just so sure that the band knows everything about it and are deliberately attempting to financially cripple their fans. Hate the Fan Club, not the band.

The way some of the posts have been floating its as if people feel they deserve more for hanging in there for 30+ years. Everyone deserves those front row seats, everyone deserves those meet & greets, everyone deserves to be let in free and hear the insider secrets. I feel like some people get really resentful and defensive--they want Stevie to personally acknowledge their fandom, etc.

All we've heard all tour long are amazing stories of fabulous concert experiences. You look beside you at a concert and you'll see thousands of people totally having the time of their lives, singing every word and maybe not all of you go to concerts all the time but I can promise you that not all concerts are like this. Fleetwood Mac brings people together to rock, Stevie does that benefit for AHI every year (among others). I don't think Lindsey's out specifically for the money but he's not an Idiot--he knows he's in the business of rock&roll and if J-Lo can get $30+ million for adding whiny vocals to a mechanized track then it seems only fair he get a good deal for putting blood, sweat, and tears into a fabulous record. Mick & John have never stopped--so what do you do with that?

I mean, here is a band who is coming straight to you. The biggest cities in America (as of current), complete with all new merchandise and songs and websites, hairdos, costumes, shoes, smiles and waves. The entire band is over 50--how many bands are still going out on the road at that age? How many bands have fizzled after one hit record or two?

So, I apologize if that offends anyone but lately it seems that people are always asking for more.
& the voice of a choir
& a melody...
nothing else mattered
Old 06-26-2003, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfirefly
Some of this is coming from the backlash of the Fan Club, and that was unfortunately expected. Some people are just so sure that the band knows everything about it and are deliberately attempting to financially cripple their fans. Hate the Fan Club, not the band.

The way some of the posts have been floating its as if people feel they deserve more for hanging in there for 30+ years. Everyone deserves those front row seats, everyone deserves those meet & greets, everyone deserves to be let in free and hear the insider secrets. I feel like some people get really resentful and defensive--they want Stevie to personally acknowledge their fandom, etc.

All we've heard all tour long are amazing stories of fabulous concert experiences. You look beside you at a concert and you'll see thousands of people totally having the time of their lives, singing every word and maybe not all of you go to concerts all the time but I can promise you that not all concerts are like this. Fleetwood Mac brings people together to rock, Stevie does that benefit for AHI every year (among others). I don't think Lindsey's out specifically for the money but he's not an Idiot--he knows he's in the business of rock&roll and if J-Lo can get $30+ million for adding whiny vocals to a mechanized track then it seems only fair he get a good deal for putting blood, sweat, and tears into a fabulous record. Mick & John have never stopped--so what do you do with that?

I mean, here is a band who is coming straight to you. The biggest cities in America (as of current), complete with all new merchandise and songs and websites, hairdos, costumes, shoes, smiles and waves. The entire band is over 50--how many bands are still going out on the road at that age? How many bands have fizzled after one hit record or two?

So, I apologize if that offends anyone but lately it seems that people are always asking for more.
I have yet to see a post from any member of The Ledge where the poster sounds like they're owed something. It's because no one feels that way. They just want acknowledgment. That's all.

While the shows have been amazing throughout the tour, it doesn't change the fact that people are bitter over things like the fan club and JT. I think it's because people are angry over these things and FMs obvious lack of care in these matters that people might come off as being owed something. But if you think about, some are owed something. They paid the expensive fan club fee and haven't really gotten anything. Then, they get insulted PERSONALLY by JT through emails and on his board. People who are insulted and had their computers messed with are owed apologies. I sure would LOVE one, but I know I'll never get one. Anyways, it's the mess of everything that has people upset and rightly so. Granted, the music that FM puts out is by far the BEST but when the band and their associates do shady things, people are going to feel however they feel.

I hope I make sense! LOL

Last edited by dissention; 06-26-2003 at 05:41 PM..
Old 06-26-2003, 07:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
FMs obvious lack of care in these matters
Lack of care? They're on a tour! Bringing music to you!

And you've just turned the topic around to yet another Fan Club bashing forum. The point is lost.

Quote:
I have yet to see a post from any member of The Ledge where the poster sounds like they're owed something. It's because no one feels that way. They just want acknowledgment. That's all.
I feel like that contradicts itself. We don't want anything, but we want this. ??? By the way, you don't have to quote my entire post, I think everyone can read it for themselves....
& the voice of a choir
& a melody...
nothing else mattered
Old 06-26-2003, 07:50 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Incidentally, yes. But don't forget -- the point of a tour is to make money for the band.

Quote:
And you've just turned the topic around to yet another Fan Club bashing forum. The point is lost.
Yep. I agree. The point is lost.

But I don't think that anyone can bash the Fan Club *enough*. And I don't think the bashing should STOP until the money is given back to the customers from whom it was stolen. Plain and simple. But I also am cynical enough to realize that will never happen. Enron's shareholders are still waiting for their 401K funds to be restored; compared to that, the Fleetwood Mac fan club is small potatoes. Still, it's the principle of the thing: Whatever happened to THOU SHALT NOT STEAL?

Quote:
I feel like that contradicts itself. We don't want anything, but we want this. ??? By the way, you don't have to quote my entire post, I think everyone can read it for themselves....
I don't think it's contradictory to want to be treated according to the Golden Rule. It's simple humanity. Treat others as you would yourself like to be treated.

Nobody likes to be ripped off. The band, whether they know about it or not, is ripping people off via the Fan Club. Ignorance of the law or of what is being done in your name is not a viable defense. They *are* liable for what's going on, in a strictly legal sense. Not that I want anyone to sue them -- indeed, I'm terrified that someone WILL. I just want someone who knows the band members (other than Mick) to slap some sense into them and inform them of what's going on -- so they can protect themselves from litigation.

And thus ends my little sermon. Time to put the soapbox back on the shelf.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Listen, I wasn't rude to you in my reply to your post, don't be rude to me. If you don't agree with me, fine. But don't get rude and antagonistic. I remember quite a few of the posts you made on Mick's board back when all this stuff was happening; I'm glad to see your lack class made it here.

Old 06-26-2003, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by stephmoore
Incidentally, yes. But don't forget -- the point of a tour is to make money for the band.

Yep. I agree. The point is lost.

But I don't think that anyone can bash the Fan Club *enough*. And I don't think the bashing should STOP until the money is given back to the customers from whom it was stolen. Plain and simple. But I also am cynical enough to realize that will never happen. Enron's shareholders are still waiting for their 401K funds to be restored; compared to that, the Fleetwood Mac fan club is small potatoes. Still, it's the principle of the thing: Whatever happened to THOU SHALT NOT STEAL?

I don't think it's contradictory to want to be treated according to the Golden Rule. It's simple humanity. Treat others as you would yourself like to be treated.

Nobody likes to be ripped off. The band, whether they know about it or not, is ripping people off via the Fan Club. Ignorance of the law or of what is being done in your name is not a viable defense. They *are* liable for what's going on, in a strictly legal sense. Not that I want anyone to sue them -- indeed, I'm terrified that someone WILL. I just want someone who knows the band members (other than Mick) to slap some sense into them and inform them of what's going on -- so they can protect themselves from litigation.

And thus ends my little sermon. Time to put the soapbox back on the shelf.
Thank you, stephmoore, for actually reading my post and understanding it.

Old 06-26-2003, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have to cry foul about the fan club bashing in this thread.

There are many, many other threads specifically dedicated to that topic in this forum and it just may be possible that not everyone wants to hear about it in just about every single thread on this site. I know I do not in this thread. If I wanted to read about it, I would go to the four other threads in which this currently is being discussed.

Again, this thread was supposed to be positive - but I guess that is apparently impossible.

Note: I am not saying anyone cannot post your comments about the fan club wherever they want. I am just politely asking that it be done somewhere other than this thread because, once again, this was supposed to be a postive thread looking for good things. In fact, Jake specifically said he was looking for something to pick him up, not bring him down, after all that that gone on. If that is not possible, e.g. if people feel the need to bash the fan club despite the pleas of others like myself not to do so in just about every thread, then so be it. But, I think it is a shame that people have so little respect and want to bring everyone down and into their own issue(s)

Note: Its late, I have been working since 6:00 a.m., and, therefore, am grumpy!!

I guess Jake should have put a spoiler notice in the subject line that said "No Fan Club Bashers Welcome!" (this was meant as humor! )

Last edited by strandinthewind; 06-26-2003 at 08:46 PM..
Old 06-26-2003, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
I have to cry foul about the fan club bashing in this thread.
Sorry, Strandy, but flyfirefly completely missed my point. Let me clarify for ya.

firefly said they always see people post about how they're "owed." While I agree people are owed nothing, I merely gave an instance where people are owed and for that reason, they may sound like they're owed. It was not meant to turn it into a fan club bashing thread.

I know how ya feel about working since early in the morning; me too, doll!

Old 06-26-2003, 08:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ah Ha - I was like WTF Its time for a martini and an Ambien in no specific order!!!

Old 06-26-2003, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ah Ha - I was like WTF Its time for a martini and an Ambien in no specific order!!!
LMAO! You read my mind!!

Old 06-26-2003, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wouldn't it be funny to post only after a martini and an Ambien!!!

One martini, two martini, three martini - - - floor!

I am on my way!!!!!!!! Wheeeeeeeee!!!

Old 06-26-2003, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wouldn't it be funny to post only after a martini and an Ambien!!!

One martini, two martini, three martini - - - floor!

I am on my way!!!!!!!! Wheeeeeeeee!!!
Who says I haven't been???

Old 06-26-2003, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Isn't it a little unfair, and somewhat rude, to insist nobody talk about the fan club in a thread started by someone who mentioned the fan club in their original post? I didn't mention it specifically in my posts becasue I know it's a sore subject, and everyone already knows I don't support the band the way I used to because of the fan club. I don't feel the band owes me anything...not anything more than any decent human being owes another. Honesty and integrity would be nice for them to display in dealing with their fans but I don't expect it anymore. Sorry if that offends anyone, but that's how I feel.

It doesn't matter how long anyone's been a fan, either. Nobody said the band owes more to long time fans, but they sure as hell don't owe any less. I also feel everyone has a right to state their opinion of the band without being told where to post it. If people don't want to discuss the fan club, why mention it in your own posts? No offense, but I just don't get that? I don't mean to tell others what to say or where to say it. I don't know why some people get irritated with the negativity the band's brought on themselves. Maybe starting a thread like this was asking for trouble? I really don't think anyone is intentionally trying to bring others down with their comments. Some people feel strongly about certain things. It's a shame some people can't deal with it, but that's just the way it is.