The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Awww... sadness. But, yeah I guess not everybody's gonna like her.

I know some people who love her later stuff but can't listen to her first few albums. Her voice was much higher pitched.. squeaky. I'd say by the time she did Never For Ever her voice was more uh.. accessible? I personally love all the albums from The Kick Inside to The Dreaming, though.

But.. I love showing people the Wuthering Heights video with the original audio. It's madness. Freaks em out.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiver View Post
Awww... sadness. But, yeah I guess not everybody's gonna like her.

I know some people who love her later stuff but can't listen to her first few albums. Her voice was much higher pitched.. squeaky. I'd say by the time she did Never For Ever her voice was more uh.. accessible? I personally love all the albums from The Kick Inside to The Dreaming, though.

But.. I love showing people the Wuthering Heights video with the original audio. It's madness. Freaks em out.
haha yes wuthering heights was the first one i watched

But Running Up That Hill is brilliant! Maybe I need to keep listening to her
Old 02-11-2010, 05:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilthefirefades View Post
haha yes wuthering heights was the first one i watched

But Running Up That Hill is brilliant! Maybe I need to keep listening to her
Oh yeah, I love that song! I don't own the album yet, unfortunately... I ended up buying it off of itunes.. I usually prefer to listen to whole albums, but I couldn't pass that one up.

Been blowin' through all my extra cash trying to buy FM/Stevie/Lindsey/Christine and now Kate Bush albums. Choosing which is next is difficult. Life's hard.
Wuthering Heights was my first Kate Bush song, too. Didn't really know what to think, heheh.. then I watched a couple other vids on youtube and her weirdness started to grow on me.

I love the interview and her explanation of the song Babooshka.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh yeah, I love that song! I don't own the album yet, unfortunately... I ended up buying it off of itunes.. I usually prefer to listen to whole albums, but I couldn't pass that one up.

Been blowin' through all my extra cash trying to buy FM/Stevie/Lindsey/Christine and now Kate Bush albums. Choosing which is next is difficult. Life's hard.
Wuthering Heights was my first Kate Bush song, too. Didn't really know what to think, heheh.. then I watched a couple other vids on youtube and her weirdness started to grow on me.

Whenever I watch her interviews, I always think, "Aww, bless her!" She's so adorable.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Haha, me too! And so different from the lady ya see onstage.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Tillthefirefades, have we converted you?

Look at this everyone!

OMG, the look at her at 1:45/2:00

Last edited by Meowi; 02-12-2010 at 03:45 AM..
Old 02-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

'

Cliff Richard??!! Oh Kate, you're amazing but just, no. Especially in terms of musical progession and change, surely not?! Then again, it's all subjective I suppose...
Old 02-14-2010, 05:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

ok, I have an update, I have completely fallen in love with her music as of late!

Cloudbusting is great! It's what broke me in, even Wuthering Heights isn't so bad now
Old 02-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^It's time to hear the albums. I recommend just getting them in order.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilthefirefades View Post
ok, I have an update, I have completely fallen in love with her music as of late!

Cloudbusting is great! It's what broke me in, even Wuthering Heights isn't so bad now
Awesome! Hope you enjoy it all much as I do. As soon as I heard the first album, I was hooked. That song Kite is stuck in my head right now.

I'm with TrueFaith77 on this, I'd get em in order too. She just got better with each album.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
^^It's time to hear the albums. I recommend just getting them in order.
As much as I love Kate, I have to admit that her first couple of albums were not my favorite. That's not to say that they are necessarily bad recordings... but they lacked the kind of grandiose eccentricity that I love about Kate. The first two albums were just a bit too sugary and innocent for me to sit through repeated plays.

This is how I would approach Kate:

1. The Whole Story- This is a well-edited selection of highlights from her early albums along with one original new track and a re-recording of "Wuthering Heights." I especially love all the pictures of the artwork on the singles- just gorgeous stuff.

2. The Hounds of Love- This is Kate's finest hour.

3. Aerial- Kate's second finest hour. I love everything about this album- even her Elvis impersonation on "King of the Mountain." It's rather distressing that she did almost zero promotion behind this album because it is such a masterwork. The second disc, "Sky of Honey," is my summer soundtrack.

4. The Dreaming- Now that you've heard where she ended up, you can hear where she first took a sharp left turn to the bizarre. Peter Gabriel released his first "world music" album the same year Kate released this album- her own "world music" album. It's all there- Celtic fiddle, didjeridoo, Brazilian rhythms. She also brays like a donkey and plots a bank heist. Lots of fun here!

5. The Red Shoes- I have always considered this to be kind of like The Dreaming II. It doesn't sound anything like The Dreaming, but it is full of that kind of bold-faced experimentation with different musical styles. But this is no longer the bold, feisty, political, angry Kate of yore. This is the more mature, reflective, somber Kate, who is both older and wiser.

6. The Sensual World- This is Kate's "girl power" album. The title track starts it all with Kate vicariously exploring "the power of a woman's body" via lines borrowed from James Joyce's Ulysses. Later she is mourning the sense of loss and renewal of childbirth in "This Woman's Work," and then ending up imagining the limitless possibilities of a girl's life on "Rocket's Tail." This is perhaps one of Kate's most cohesive-sounding set of songs.

7. Never For Ever- This is where the cracks begin to appear in Kate's placid veneer. Here she goes from the typical girl next door to the woman next door with a fetish for young boys. You know something's not quite right once you hear her screaming "Violin, violin, violin, violin!!" like her life depended on it.

8. Kick Inside or Lionheart (interchangeable)- These are the left-side bookends. They are interchangeable because they are stylistically and thematically indistinguishable. Here she portrays herself as that precocious teenager who was probably reading Bronte in her attic bedroom rather Tiger Beat magazine. Still, despite the lush production, the songs are about as deep as petrie dishes. The girly angst is there, along with her bloodied, broken hymen. I would save these for last because it really allows you to appreciate the mature artist she eventually evolved into. But the song "O England, my Lionheart" is also the song that perfectly captures the dyed-in-the-wool British-ness of this gal. It is a pure paean to her homeland without the slightest bit of irony, which ironically, eventually became a recurrent theme in her latter work.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Awesome! Hope you enjoy it all much as I do. As soon as I heard the first album, I was hooked. That song Kite is stuck in my head right now.
Beelzebub is aching in my belly-o.
My feet are heavy and I'm rooted in my wellios.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

'I look at eye level, It isn't good enough
And then I find out, when I take a good look up
There's a hole in the sky with a big eyeball
Calling me'

That verse makes me think of a freaky dream I had as a kid.

Come up and be a kite, and fly a diamond night!
Old 02-16-2010, 04:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowi View Post
Does anyone else like Kate Bush?
I like her duet with Peter Gabriel on "Don't Give Up".

I've got one of her albums..........somewhere.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I really like the Dreaming, it's one of those albums, were you can listen to every song.