User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I suspect that it all boils down to economics. For places like BB King's, I *believe* that much (if not all) of the expense of booking the space is underwritten by food/drink sales. This is probably why you will see national headliners like Lindsey play there one night and have some Pink Floyd tribute band playing there the next night. And it also helps to explain why tickets are only $60 vs. $100+. So whether 5 people or 500 people show up, Lindsey stands to make some coin.
And we all know how short on cash Lindsey is! Lindsey is definitely one of my very favorite artists, but this BB Kings decision is really unfortunate and a bit telling of certain priorities. I also don't understand why he makes comments about his "street cred" being so high, and then so many decisions around this excellent album have seemed so corporate and washed-up-old-rocker's-new-album. The cheesy cover certainly fits BB Kings, but Lindsey's music and attitude do not.

I would love to go to both shows, but knowing how varying his set lists and banter are, I don't think I can spend another $70 plus tip and a trip to Times Square.

Sorry to be so negative. I was really excited when this tour was getting started, and the NY leg is really a let down to me. Though I am sure I will still be blown away by his amazingness.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Going

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
World Cafe Live @ The Queen in Wilmington is on sale.

Front row...meet and greet...$140 each.

I bought two in the second row for $50 each.

Tickets go on sale Wednesday, April 18th at noon for B B Kings...$60 per...no mention of meet & greet.
I'm going, too, in the second row, on the end. It's my wedding anniversary, too. Well, hubby said OK, & we're spending it with Lindsey!

I couldn't get 2 for the M & G's.

Lee
Old 04-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I got my ticket for BB King's. It cost about 30 bucks more to order online so I thiiiink I will wait to buy a ticket for Tuesday the day-of.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:03 PM
Junior Ledgie

Got my ticket for BB Kings too. I'm disappointed there isn't some sort of meet and greet/early admission thing
Old 04-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I got them, too.
I can't see myself coming ultra-early and having two hours to kill waiting for him to show up.
So, I'll take my chances and come 1/2 hour before the show. Probably end up standing by the bar or something. I bought a ticket for Tuesday, but...we'll see how Monday pans out;-)
I am going to the Tarrytown thing. That should be fun. REAL reserved seats. No food! Beautiful town. Awesome!
Old 04-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
The thing is...the doors open like two full hours before the show. So, yes, a lot of people will eat before Lindsey comes on (although, not everyone...as there are always latecomers). And then, there is the waitstaff coming up and taking food and drink orders throughtout the whole thing. And, it's so blasted dark in there that when you get your bill, you can't see it. The last time I went, I literally had to hold it up to a votive candle at the table and still didn't know what I was getting charged. So, there's potential ... "I didn't order a lobster! What are you charging me for?" conversations.
It's not ideal. It's a nice venue (for a cover band or a "good time" band) but the whole experience is a bit tainted by all the movement, etc. in the audience. I would LOVE for them to have made some sort of exception, in LB's case...but, I'm not holding my breath.
Oh yeah. That sounds like a recipe for an exasperated guitarist. If it's just for profit, then fine. But he can't hope to make money off of this tour. If he's trying to get his music heard, why not eschew places like this, where a substantial portion of the audience won't even be listening? It sounds like the ambience in one of the steak joints that Stevie said he refused to play when they were struggling.

Michele
Old 04-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Junior Ledgie

I don't think BB Kings is THAT bad, where people will be scraping forks and knives all through the set. The doors open at 7PM and he doesn't come on till 9. There is plenty of time for people to eat.

People order food beforehand in other great venues like Joe's Pub and Highline Ballroom. When the artist comes on, the food noises generally die down.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's hard to describe. I think, actually, that for most shows, BB Kings would not be that distracting to the performer because the band is playing, they are getting love from most of the audience, etc. I think it's more distracting for the people at the tables who don't give a fig about the food and want to listen to Lindsey, while being asked if they need a refill, etc.
BUT, I am a bit worried because there is no band. It's him and his guitar. So, all of the stuff going on around him may be a distraction.
My guess is he doesn't really know the setup there. Or maybe he's in a zen place and can zone that stuff out. Or maybe we should watch out for flying guitars
Old 04-18-2012, 01:26 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
It's hard to describe. I think, actually, that for most shows, BB Kings would not be that distracting to the performer because the band is playing, they are getting love from most of the audience, etc. I think it's more distracting for the people at the tables who don't give a fig about the food and want to listen to Lindsey, while being asked if they need a refill, etc.
BUT, I am a bit worried because there is no band. It's him and his guitar. So, all of the stuff going on around him may be a distraction.
My guess is he doesn't really know the setup there. Or maybe he's in a zen place and can zone that stuff out. Or maybe we should watch out for flying guitars
Very true. I've seen many shows there and I always have a good time during the actual performance, and the music is generally loud enough to distract from the ambient noise. But this is a solo acoustic performance. And Lindsey whisper sings! I really don't think he understands the venue they chose for him. Did anyone see the poster they made up? And I thought the type treatment was bad on the album cover!
Old 04-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Junior Ledgie

The potential for flying guitars actually makes me anticipate the show more!

Yeah, you're right though that BB Kings isn't the best venue for a solo acoustic show.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
it is actually pretty weird with this tour - seems that about a third of the places he'll be playing are places with tables/food&drinks/waiters etc - Coach House, Belly Up, Soundstage in Baltimore, i think even Howard in DC, BB King's, i know i saw several more. the rest are mostly regular seated venues/theaters, similar to the venues he played last year. and then there is a handful that are GA standing room only (e.g., Fillmore and Seattle). so there's a weird mix. since he played Coach House and Belly Up before, guess he should know what to expect from the places with food and waiters...
Old 04-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Normally, I would be shaking knowing that Lindsey was playing SIX shows in a two hour radius from my home, but I'm not biting on this one. I am not against Lindsey solo songs, some of my favorite tunes are just him and the guitar. However in a concert setting I forsee myself being somewhat bored.

I'm waiting to see the opening night set list before I drop big bucks. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm actually more excited to see two Stevie In your dreams shows...
Old 04-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post
Normally, I would be shaking knowing that Lindsey was playing SIX shows in a two hour radius from my home, but I'm not biting on this one. I am not against Lindsey solo songs, some of my favorite tunes are just him and the guitar. However in a concert setting I forsee myself being somewhat bored.

I'm waiting to see the opening night set list before I drop big bucks. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm actually more excited to see two Stevie In your dreams shows...
I'm kind of with you on this. Normally, I'd be traveling somewhere to see him, but I'm sticking with NY (except for Ithaca...which is a gazillion hours away). I am seeing Stevie, too, so....no traveling for Lindsey this time. His tickets aren't that expensive but the traveling turns out to be. And, I really like the guys on tour with him. By the time he's into his 6th acoustic song on tour, I'm usually thrilled to see the guys. We shall see.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm kind of with you on this. Normally, I'd be traveling somewhere to see him, but I'm sticking with NY (except for Ithaca...which is a gazillion hours away). I am seeing Stevie, too, so....no traveling for Lindsey this time. His tickets aren't that expensive but the traveling turns out to be. And, I really like the guys on tour with him. By the time he's into his 6th acoustic song on tour, I'm usually thrilled to see the guys. We shall see.
I have to admit, I still haven't bought a ticket and I think it's because I'm waiting to see what the set list is like. The Town Hall show this past fall was my least favorite live Lindsey experience, which of course is relative!, and I just don't feel as excited about this prospect as I did initially, especially with the price. While I don't mind BB King's so much as a venue, I do mind that it costs so much more than all the other venues on this tour! I guess I want to have an idea of what I'll be getting before I shell out especially since I too am a little concerned about zoning out after a few songs, and that's coming from someone who usually loves his acoustic sets.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll admit that the main reason I got tix for Ithaca was the M&G. If it weren't for that (and the fact that a good friend is going with me), I don't think I'd be driving 3 hours to see him.