User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-28-2005, 07:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertangel
I always thought Funkytown by Lipps Inc was weird, but that one ended up getting remade/reissued/rehashed. UGH!!! How about Disco Duck (aka Disco Sucks) and Kung Fu Fighting?! Yes, there were some strange songs back then... Fly Robin Fly by the Silver Convention ... didn't have very many lyrics. 6 words to be exact. Lots of instrumentals... thanks to disco. Aahhh but it was fun to wear those skin tight bodysuits with spaghetti straps and those flowing skirts and platform shoes, twirling around the dance floor... in the gymnasium, of course. (edit: Stevie wasn't the only one doing it, she was more or less a sign of her times... but ya'll knew that already.)

But I digress, there were TONS of great rock and roll songs during this time period. I attribute it to the widespread use of Hashish and Thai Stick.

Laura

do you remember "the Funky worm?" "he's the funkiest worm in the whoooole world!" I always detested 3 dog night....and I wasnt crazy about Chicago until Peter Cetera became the lead singer..
Old 05-28-2005, 08:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There are days when I would love to warp back... all the stress and violence these days gets to be a bit too much. Of course, I can imagine my parents used to think the same thing when I was growing up.

Okay, I almost hate to admit this, but for Christmas last year, I bought myself two box sets of 70s music. So my previous post about box sets wasn't exactly a joke. Here are some titles:

1970:
Band of Gold - Freda Payne
Arizona - Mark Lindsey
Love Grows (where my Rosemary Goes) Edison Lighthouse
Hitchin a Ride - Vanity Fare --- everybody used to hitchike in the 70s!
Ride Captain Ride - Blues Image

1971:
One Toke Over the Line - Brewer and Shipley
Here Comes That Rainy Day Feeling - The Fortunes
Treat Her Like a Lady - Corneilius Brothers and Sister Rose
Have You Seen Her - The Chi-Lites
I Just Want to Celebrate - Rare Earth
Day After Day - Badfinger

1972:
Brandy - Looking Glass
Nice to Be With You - Gallery
Too Late To Turn Back Now - Cornielius Brothers
Precious and Few - Climax
Rock and Roll Lullaby - BJ Thomas
Baby Blue - Badfinger
All the Young Dudes - Mott the Hoople
Oh Girl - Chi-Lites

Don't know the exact years for these:
Kiss You All Over - Exile
Hello It's Me - Todd Rundgren
On and On - Stephan Bishop
Boogie Nights - Heatwave
Brother Louie - Stories (this is a good one about bi-racial relationship)
Jackie Blue - Ozark Mountain Daredevils (I think this one is about lesbians)
Right Back Where We Started From - Maxine Nightengale
So Into You - Atlanta Rhythm Section
Midnight at the Oasis - Maria Muldaur
Fox on the Run - Sweet
Love Machine - Miracles
Me and Mrs. Jones - Billy Paul (about an exta marital affair)

And there are more... but these are my favs off the box sets and that gives you some titles to look for and listen to.

Have fun!!! I really love this old music because it reminds me of all the fun I had when I was a lot younger. That's so cool you're into it!

Laura

(Edit: Now that I think of it, I'd bet some of the songs listed above are played on some "oldies" FM stations ... I don't listen to the radio much anymore... commercials annoy me. )
I know most all of those songs (some I can still hear in my head when I read the titles)

Magnet and Steel should have been on that list! and Sister Golden Hair, and Horse with no name.........

Do you remember Amos Moses? Or Guitarzan? or Gidget the Midget? or When you're hot, you're hot? Im sure you'll recall The Streak! that was huge! (why? I dont know!) we had some fun times!

I remember tailgate parties after work with bongs and booze and cops left us alone. I remember the first (and last) time I got high, I had all the classic symptoms (couldnt shut up, nauseous, muchies, I was a mess!!)
Old 05-28-2005, 08:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm the only person I know who likes Free's "All Right Now." Christina Aguilera used to do this ass-kicking cover of it at her concerts. When I saw her in 2000, it was the only song she got into at all at her own show, except for "At Last." All of her own material that she was forced to do by the record label sucked to her, so she hardly even tried with it. This made for kind of a ****ty concert, but, uh, the point is that she totally brought "All Right Now" to life. It's a really fun song.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgrl
ps: this is post 1000
Congratulations!
Old 05-28-2005, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
Congratulations!
HOLY MOLY~ you're almost at 4000!

ps: I like All right now also! its catchy!
Old 05-28-2005, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Okay, I almost hate to admit this, but for Christmas last year, I bought myself two box sets of 70s music.
I usually don't buy box sets of various artists because you always end up with crap you don't want. (I did buy a two cd Disco set, though).
I love '60s and '70s rock! I used to listen to classic rock radio all the time, but I don't anymore because a) commercials suck b) they've started playing '80s rock which makes me feel old and c) my stereo has a 60 disc changer so when I put it on shuffle its like I have my own radio station that plays only songs I like.

I have over 400 cds, and much of it is classic rock, classic pop, and folk. Have stuff from Aerosmith, Beach Boys, Beatles, Chuck Berry, Lindsey Buckingham (of course), The Byrds, Eric Clapton, Joe Cocker, Phil Collins ( ), Creedence Clearwater Revival, Jim Croce, The Doobie Brothers, The Doors, The Eagles, Walter Egan (of course), The Everly Brothers, Fleetwood Mac (duh), Foreigner, Glenn Frey, Genesis, Heart, Jimi Hendrix, Don Henley, Billy Joel, Elton John, The Kingston Trio, Danny Kirwan, Led Zeppelin, John Lennon, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Mamas and the Papas, Paul McCartney, Christine McVie, The Moody Blues, Stevie Nicks, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty (of course), Elvis, the Pretenders, Queen, Marty Robins, Rolling Stones, Bob Seger, Sly and the Family Stone, Ringo Starr, Steppenwolf, Cat Stevens, John Stewart, Rod Stewart, Supertramp, George Thorogood, Three Dog Night, Traveling Wilburys, Joe Walsh, War, Bob Welch, Barry White, Brian Wilson, Betty Wright, and Warren Zevon.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Another "oldie" checking in ('78 graduate)...thank you all for the trip down memory lane! As I was reading all those song titles, the lyrics were buzzing by in my head (which is incredible since I burned sooooo much gray matter back then! ). And the hash and thai stick.....ahhhhh, to be 18 again (just for a little while).....

"Don't f*&k with anyone's dog and don't ever date a musician."
Old 05-28-2005, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgrl
HOLY MOLY~ you're almost at 4000!

ps: I like All right now also! its catchy!

Almost to 4000? She's addicted.

Anyone close to 4000 is a nutcase.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17
Almost to 4000? She's addicted.

Anyone close to 4000 is a nutcase.
Yeah, you'll be there soon.

And when did Stevie become a belly dancer?
Old 05-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. . .

[/COLOR]

Well, she did the Hula in that All Access thing and she did it Sat. in Vegas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 05-28-2005, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Has anyone heard the song "Debbie Harry" by Family Fodder? My bladder cannot control itself when I hear it. Funniest **** ever.

Old 05-28-2005, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Well, she did the Hula in that All Access thing and she did it Sat. in Vegas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ah, well it looks like there's yet another Vegas thing I missed out on.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default XM Satellite Radio

has a 70s station, and right now they are playing the top 70 albums of the 70s. Fleetwood Mac Fleetwood Mac was the #45 album, and they played Over My Head, Say You Love Me, and Monday Morning. The countdown is currently at #9 with Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell. Rumours should be coming up, I would hope #1.

The 70s music will never die as long as I'm around. Great stuff.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Todd is cool. You know about him and Bebe Buell and Liv Tyler, right? Not to be Tabloid-ish or anything.

I got my box sets at Wally World (aka Wal-Mart) - don't know if they normally carry stuff like that or if it was one of those Christmas type things where everything was in a box set just-in-time-for-gift-giving.

Okay, now I'm curious... how old are you?

Laura
What about Todd and Bebe Buell and Liv Tyler? I must be living under a rock! I'm not even that young and technically am a 70's child, but was too young to remember any of it or enjoy it. I'm 27. I never really listened to classic rock or oldies stations before now, but went through phases of metal and punk during my rebellious years. Then, I discovered FM and Stevie and one or the other has been is my cd player since. I really don't know why my tastes at the time allowed her to be included at all, but there was something about her that just moved me in a way that no other artist had done up to that point. But most of this 70s music has totally eluded me. I'm digging on it now I've got it on today and heard Brother Louie by the Stories. Cool tune! Also, heard one from the Raspberries called Go All The Way and it's now on my list One thing, though. Who told John Travolta he could sing? Gawd!!! Stick to acting, John. Or, dancing..
Old 05-28-2005, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, you'll be there soon.

Ballerina...belly dancer....same difference, eh?

Side note: I just liked the icon.