Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy View Post
Oh dear. I do see similarities between them though and in a more recent interview she was reported as saying 'I'm a big fan of David Bowie.' They were both quite ethereal and I think Stevie may have a few personas. Perhaps artistic representations of different sides of herself.
I think it's this:

You're like David Bowie that way — every generation discovers you.
Well, I'm a big fan of David Bowie. Especially his movie The Hunger, with Susan Sarandon and Catherine Denueve. Just creepy and strange and amazingly beautiful. I'm always surprised Bowie didn't make more vampire movies.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...#ixzz3xK1k8A30

P.S. I found the interview I was talking about; this excerpt in particular came after that Bozzio said that while he could watch Stevie (of whom he was a fan of) perform from the side of the stage, they didn't let him and the others stand on the same stage to watch David Bowie.

NICKS “I was incredibly excited to meet Bowie, but he didn’t offer a welcoming hand to the person playing before him. I was dissapointed, but I know he was nervous. It doesn’t matter how big a star you are - there’s no way you can look out at all those people and not be nerved out.”

It's Spin magazine:https://books.google.it/books?id=JLf...0bowie&f=false

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 01-15-2016 at 09:28 AM..
Old 01-15-2016, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

I think The Hunger was well made, but Bowie was dastardly and killing people in it, even if he did end up all wrinkley in a box... so I definitely prefer Nicolas Roeg's The Man Who Fell To Earth to remember him by. The final Ziggy concert film is a close second. A 'brave' artist.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
I think The Hunger was well made, but Bowie was dastardly and killing people in it, even if he did end up all wrinkley in a box... so I definitely prefer Nicolas Roeg's The Man Who Fell To Earth to remember him by. The final Ziggy concert film is a close second. A 'brave' artist.
Hunger is one bad movie, whether or not it has some pockets of cult following and regardless of how interesting of a director Tony Scott was. i would venture to speculate neither of the 3 main stars would really want to unearth it unnecessarily.

it's funny that of all Bowie's musical achievements and some interesting movies, a fellow performer would single out not his music or his performance art but a bad movie when she talks about him. maybe it was a dig at him since she felt snubbed.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-15-2016, 08:03 PM
Senior Ledgie

If it weren't Stevie making the comment I would have suspected sarcasm. But she's kooky. I love her for it though.

I have sometimes wondered if she got some of her style from the British glam artists of the early 70s. Especially Marc Bolan who was a close friend of Bowie. But he died in 1977 and never really made it in America. Bowie understood that market better.

Bolan was a little person - almost elf like - so he often wore top hats, boas, heels, big hair. He was known to wave a tambourine around and sang in a strange vibrato lyrics that were captivating but made no sense about mythical creatures.

Slash of GnR I think definitely would have known him but can't say the same of Stevie. So it might have been a coincidence.

I had an obsession with Marc in my younger years especially his early work. Unfortunately after learning more about him he came off as something of a poser. The work he did after his initial success fell right off especially after he got rid of Visconti, and hasn't stood the test of time as well as Bowie's. So my interest ended up switching to the red haired alien.

I feel so bad for Tony Visconti. I imagine he is devastated. He knew Bowie for decades and they were still working together up to the end.

Last edited by Missy; 01-15-2016 at 08:05 PM..
Old 01-15-2016, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bowie now has 19 albums in the UK top 100 chart (that's 1/5 )...Quite impressive... NME
Old 01-15-2016, 09:17 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
Bowie now has 19 albums in the UK top 100 chart (that's 1/5 )...Quite impressive... NME
My 15 year old is listening to him non stop. I hope he becomes remembered as one of the most significant artists of his day. His music is still very apt for this era. Not a fan of everything he did but some of it was quite extraordinary. There are so many tributes it's impossible to cover them all.

Bowie had a son born 'Zowie Bowie' who is now in his 40s, goes by the ordinary name Duncan Jones and has become a successful film director. He directed the World of Warcraft movie that will be released this year. The trailer impressed many and was released in November. His wife actually battled breast cancer but is said to have beaten it.

His young daughter who I think is only 15 is perhaps being shielded from the media which is totally understandable. She is said to also be musical.

He was very competitive with some of his peers, but many have said he was also genuinely interested in and caring towards other people. Not the typical self obsessed rock star you might expect.

Sorry if this is going off the beaten track (this will be my final comment but he had such an impact on my life). I have read that he was also looked out for Marc Bolan's son Rolan. Yes Marc totally copied David by naming his son Rolan Bolan, like Zowie Bowie. Rolan later said that he was very indebted to David Bowie after he and his mother fell on hard times. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...olans-son.html

In the last decade or so Bowie quietened down his life a lot and was keeping to himself. But he stayed in contact with friends by email. The young singer Lorde has written about meeting him a few years ago. "I've never met a hero of mine and liked it. It just sucks, the pressure is too huge, you can't enjoy it. David was different." http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...bowie-20160111

Glenn A Baker has said that David would come into his music store, and once saw a kid buying his record, so he crept up behind him, leaned over his shoulder, and autographed it. When the kid realized who it was, that must have been a moment!

Last edited by Missy; 01-15-2016 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: sorry - correction
Old 01-15-2016, 10:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sorry if this is going off the beaten track (this will be my final comment but he had such an impact on my life). I have read that he was also 'godfather' to Marc Bolan's son Rolan.
no reason to apologize or stop commenting!

talking about Bolan, wasn't Lady Stardust originally supposed to be about Marc Bolan and the original demo version titled He Was Alright (A Song for Marc)?

also, throughout his career he kept bringing out their music and helping bands or artists who were interesting but not recognized enough. and relatively recently he apparently played a part in the success of Arcade Fire.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"

Last edited by elle; 01-15-2016 at 10:10 PM..
Old 01-15-2016, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
and 10 albums in top 40 - so 1/4, plus of course studio album released just this week sitting at #1 (where it was apparently headed in the UK even before his death).

for some perspective how huge that is, our dearest rumours-era Mac released barely more than 10 albums all together, and that's including live and compilations. and Bowie has 19 in top 100 this week.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:20 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
no reason to apologize or stop commenting!

talking about Bolan, wasn't Lady Stardust originally supposed to be about Marc Bolan and the original demo version titled He Was Alright (A Song for Marc)?

also, throughout his career he kept bringing out their music and helping bands or artists who were interesting but not recognized enough. and relatively recently he apparently played a part in the success of Arcade Fire.
To answer, yes I think several songs may have been in reference to Marc Bolan. This is quite a good article about their personal and working relationship. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ries--pop.html Once the glam rock craze faded, Marc seemed to struggle to redefine himself. Elton, Bowie, Rod Stewart all managed to transfer their success to America. But it didn't really happen for Marc even though he became romantically involved with a black soul singer from the US.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Hunger is one bad movie, whether or not it has some pockets of cult following and regardless of how interesting of a director Tony Scott was. i would venture to speculate neither of the 3 main stars would really want to unearth it unnecessarily.

it's funny that of all Bowie's musical achievements and some interesting movies, a fellow performer would single out not his music or his performance art but a bad movie when she talks about him. maybe it was a dig at him since she felt snubbed.
Quote:
If it weren't Stevie making the comment I would have suspected sarcasm. But she's kooky. I love her for it though.
I suspect that if you watch it under the influence of alcohol and drugs then The Hunger looks like one hell of a movie...
Old 01-16-2016, 09:40 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Thanks.

The first is a quote from one of the recorded dates of her Wild Heart tour, when she was introducing Sara and explaining it was about a person we all know and then a drunk fan screamed "David Bowie!" and she just responded that.
Maybe I can find it on my bootlegs.

The interview I was talking about was a more recent one, she was talking about the Us Festival and she mentioned David.

If you could find both of these recordings for me, I'd me veryyyyy happy

Thanks
Old 01-16-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
If you could find both of these recordings for me, I'd me veryyyyy happy

Thanks
One of them I have already found it, it's the Spin Magazine interview I quoted at the beginning of this page.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:32 AM
Registered

Quote:
One of them I have already found it, it's the Spin Magazine interview I quoted at the beginning of this page.
Didn't see that there, sorry
Old 01-16-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
Didn't see that there, sorry
No problem.

I don't know if everyone has already seen it, Stevie's introdution of David Bowie at the Us Festival is very cute: "as overdramatic as I am I would like to tell you that Mr. David Bowie is coming on. He should hire me!" (at 8:02)

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 01-16-2016 at 12:39 PM..
Old 01-16-2016, 02:08 PM
Registered

Quote:
No problem.

I don't know if everyone has already seen it, Stevie's introdution of David Bowie at the Us Festival is very cute: "as overdramatic as I am I would like to tell you that Mr. David Bowie is coming on. He should hire me!" (at 8:02)
Never heard that before, Thanks!

I wonder if there are other connections