User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-28-2004, 10:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
Also, keep in mind that Saudis have been financing Euro Disney for a while. Do you think that may have entered Eisner's mind as he was refusing to distribute the film? Eisner will be gone soon, I suspect. He is pretty much a joke of a CEO at this point.
Euro Disney has been eating a hole through Eisner's pockets for ages, then Pince Talal lent him quite a bit of monetary support and Eisner made a small profit. Go figure.

And I find it rather funny that just last week, Eisner announced that Disney is going roll back greatly. He told shareholders he only wants to make two a year. Meanwhile, McDonalds is furious at Eisner because they signed contracts almost ten years to only promote Disney films at their restaurants, back when Disney films made money. Now that they're forced to promote straight-to-video releases and places like Burger King get to promote stuff like Shrek, they've lost a lot of business.

I've heard that the Weinstein's are going to buy their Miramax and subsidiary labels back from Disney, but they won't get their film library. In any case, this does not bode well.

Eisner will be gone within a year.

Old 06-28-2004, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
I also thought it was interesting that the current administration was dealing with the Taliban in early 2001.. trying to get the pipeline from the Caspian Sea through Afghanistan.. the bombing of the Cole just happened, and our government is dealing with the Taliban (inviting them to Texas) in early 2001, and we knew they were harboring Bin Laden. What the hell is that all about?
Well, that really explains all of the questiuoning from the 9/11 commission about why nothing was done in retaliation for the Cole bombing, an investigation that the Bush administration put a halt to and cost John Dean his life.

Old 06-28-2004, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Others have mentioned the woman who lost her son and how that completely turned her views around. Her pain is so very palpable in this movie. And as she fell apart on screen I was wondering how it is that so many people don't make the mental leap of what it means to join the military. In rich, mostly peaceful America, we were lulled into believing that joining the military is a career choice, something you do if you have no other prospects (I will spare you my dissertation of the perversity of advertising the military as such). With Iraq, I suspect more people are going to start viewing joining the military as something other than a career choice.
I thought the same thing. I liked how Moore explored that by transitioning from Lipscomb to the recruiters, then back to Lipscomb. There's something about how he dealt with her that made her story unforgettable and intensely difficult to watch. He didn't exploit her, he didn't cue the music whens he was onscreen, he let do all the talking. We've been so desensitized by the media and how they report war casualties that we almost forget that these are people with families, not just another notch on CNNs chalkboard. To see just one family in the way Moore presented them put an all too real face on what this administration doesn't want us to see.

Old 06-28-2004, 10:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
It should vanish from that theater anytime now. The Carlyle Group just bought the Loew's theater chain.
George Soros is still a major player in The Carlyle, so maybe not. Poppy bush got out some time after 9/11.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
No offense taken. And while "snarky" may appropriately characterize the tone of my reply in that thread, I hope you didn't miss the point. As I recall, you are one of the people who have continued to insist on the fantasy that Nader lost the election for Gore in 2000.
I am? Where did I say that? The election was stolen, no doubt. However Nader is but one symptom of many in that cancer.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Ralph Nader didn't give the election to George Bush. It was a combination of a very, very dislikable Democratic candidate with the shennanigans that went on in voting precincts, especially in Florida, that gave the election to the loser. But, you see, true to form, the Democrats didn't even have the guts to do anything about it.
It's not up to just the Democrats. It's up to everyone. Why didn't you do your damn job and write the article?
Old 06-28-2004, 10:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
It's not up to just the Democrats. It's up to everyone. Why didn't you do your damn job and write the article?

Old 06-28-2004, 10:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation How about...

Quote:
The Marine who said he wouldn't go back to Iraq, and even would go to jail if he had to, has my undying respect.
the US Army soldier who did not want to go back because of the abuse he saw and is current seaking to have "C-O" status??? (See the thread I started elsewhere)

He (Mejia) has my respect for standing up for what he thought was right, And he is not the only soldier at Ft.Sill who wishes to make it home alive (I've lost count of how many soldiers based at Ft.Sill that have died in Iraq/Afghanistan at around 12).

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 06-28-2004, 10:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
George Soros is still a major player in The Carlyle, so maybe not. Poppy bush got out some time after 9/11.
I picked up Soros' book before I saw F9/11 on Saturday and it's pretty darn good. Great writer.

Old 06-28-2004, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
I picked up Soros' book before I saw F9/11 on Saturday and it's pretty darn good. Great writer.
You know this but just so everyone else knows, George Soros is the major backer of MoveOn.org and doing his best to unseat Bush.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Perhaps you should read with a little less passion, or at least tone it down, before you react. I didn't mean I covered presidential elections. Also, I am no longer a reporter, nor was I covering elections in 2000.

Perhaps you haven't said that Nader gave the election to Bush in 2000 but you damn well have said that he would this year. I won't look for the thread because it would be a waste of time. You seem to want to have it both ways.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
the US Army soldier who did not want to go back because of the abuse he saw and is current seaking to have "C-O" status??? (See the thread I started elsewhere)
Different guy.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up What I meant...

Quote:
Different guy.
is did you have any respect for Mejia in his stand for his beliefs?

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 06-28-2004, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
is did you have any respect for Mejia in his stand for his beliefs?
I have to acquaint myself with this story first. I'll let you know.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Ok...

Quote:
I have to acquaint myself with this story first. I'll let you know.
no more...