The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love my Dad so much, and since he doesn't have a lot of money he couldn't get me much, or anything fancy. So when we were done opening he hugs me and says 'Sorry about Christmas.'
It was heart breaking. For me it is not about the gifts, it is about just being able to be with my Dad because I love him so much. It just makes me sad that he is sad and wishes he could do more for me and my brother. I think this is the first year I truly learned what Christmas was really about. When Dad apologized, I sat in a pool of my tears for about an hour. Christmas was the best this year, and I wouldn't have had it any other way.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I had a very lovely Christmas. I got:

Gift cards: American Eagle, Best Buy Dominos, Chili's, Dunkin Donuts, Iphone gift card (to get the Iphone )

Clothes: Jeans, pajamas, sweatshirt

Movies/TV: Inception, The Crazies, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Supernatural: Season 5, Office: Season 6, Family Guy: Volumes 7&8

Wii: Donkey Kong Returns
Old 12-27-2010, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post

Movies/TV: Inception, The Crazies, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Supernatural: Season
I watched Inception the other day & had a hard time following it, it was super jumpy. I'm sure if I knew what was going on I may have liked the movie.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I got a couple of gift cards for the movies and starbucks, cash, clothes and other little goodies. Shirts, a sweater, a really dressy looking cardigan and jeans. (finally I have a pair of cheap monday jeans! <3) I'm also going to Philly sometime during break to go shopping for some more clothes. And I bought myself a peacoat that I really wanted, found it on sale!

2 people in my house were sick though, so we didn't get to spend time with family, which is the best gift of all. I will be seeing my family during break though, thankfully. That is really the best part of the holidays, being with your families. It's so important.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:39 AM
Registered

My boyfriend got me the new Stephen King, which made me kinda teary because I haven't had a new book in a long while, and I guess he's eagle-eyed enough to have noticed me making sad faces at said book every time we passed by it at a store since it came out.

But the best gift of all was the gift of a new work contract that came just in time for me to be able to get the kids some presents. Just in time, like, less than a week before Giftmas just-in-time. Whew.

It wasn't a lot, but it was enough to get them a few things, and I was able to get them each something that they really, really wanted. And then, since we did not have enough left over for a tree, we made one out of paper and taped it to the wall. It's actually turned out to be my favorite tree, because we spent a couple of hours coloring all over it with markers and that was fun.

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 12-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraRhiannon View Post
I love my Dad so much, and since he doesn't have a lot of money he couldn't get me much, or anything fancy. So when we were done opening he hugs me and says 'Sorry about Christmas.'
It was heart breaking. For me it is not about the gifts, it is about just being able to be with my Dad because I love him so much. It just makes me sad that he is sad and wishes he could do more for me and my brother. I think this is the first year I truly learned what Christmas was really about. When Dad apologized, I sat in a pool of my tears for about an hour. Christmas was the best this year, and I wouldn't have had it any other way.
Love this.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
My boyfriend got me the new Stephen King, which made me kinda teary because I haven't had a new book in a long while, and I guess he's eagle-eyed enough to have noticed me making sad faces at said book every time we passed by it at a store since it came out.

But the best gift of all was the gift of a new work contract that came just in time for me to be able to get the kids some presents. Just in time, like, less than a week before Giftmas just-in-time. Whew.

It wasn't a lot, but it was enough to get them a few things, and I was able to get them each something that they really, really wanted. And then, since we did not have enough left over for a tree, we made one out of paper and taped it to the wall. It's actually turned out to be my favorite tree, because we spent a couple of hours coloring all over it with markers and that was fun.
I would've loved growing up in a house with someone who works so hard to make her kids happy. I'd take that over my privileged, yet completely insane and apathetic family any day.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
And then, since we did not have enough left over for a tree, we made one out of paper and taped it to the wall. It's actually turned out to be my favorite tree, because we spent a couple of hours coloring all over it with markers and that was fun.
Did you take pictures? I would love to see this- what a great idea.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wife and I agreed not to spend any money this year (we donated to charity) but she ended up getting me Mario Galaxy 2 (for the Wii) and some new undies (Spongebob underoos) and socks. My brother sent a package from the States on Dec. 10th and it has yet to arrive!

Last edited by mylittledemon; 12-28-2010 at 07:07 PM..
Old 12-28-2010, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
Wife and I agreed not to spend any money this year (we donated to charity)
I keep trying to convince my family to do this, but the older generation finds it absurd that we'd have no presents to open under the tree (I'm 37, so by older I mean those in their 60's - we still do Christmas as a family every year, travelling to see each other).

I've even tried suggesting that instead of buying gifts, we *do* something for each other that we can request ahead-of-time at Christmas - for example, my brother-in-law is an electrician, and I just happen to have an outlet in my bedroom that doesn't work. I'd never ask him to come and fix it, since he does that for a living and I don't like to work when I'm not at work, so he probably doesn't either - but I sure would have liked him to fix it for me as a gift for Christmas instead of giving me that gift card that he probably didn't even want to give, but was a last resort since he couldn't think of anything better.

In the end, I got a KitchenAid mixer (red); a shop-vac - which I used yesterday to get all the creepy-scary corners of my 1890 basement clean; some gift cards - Banana Republic, World Market, Williams & Sonoma; and a few pairs of dark grey or black courderoy pants and a blue shirt. Oh, and my favorite gift - a subscription to National Geographic magazine.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I keep trying to convince my family to do this, but the older generation finds it absurd that we'd have no presents to open under the tree (I'm 37, so by older I mean those in their 60's - we still do Christmas as a family every year, travelling to see each other).
Yeah, when my Dad was alive... He wouldn't hear of having "nothing" under the tree. Even as I got older and I wasn't with my parents on Christmas, he would still mail us wrapped gifts beforehand and tell us "not to open them". My mother is the opposite, she just sends me a check now.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am an only child, and not yet married, so, my parents tend to go a little overboard on Christmas for me.
I tend to do the same for them, because I have no children or husband to blow my hard earned cash on!

I got one of those old time looking radios (someone has one pictured in this thread) which plays vinyl/CD/tapes, and your MP3. I also got an MP3 with 16 gigs of wonderful memory, so,Ii don't have to choose which version of Rhiannon to carry in my pocket!!

A couple of pieces of jewelery, including a crescent moon necklace (thanks to my fellow FM obsessed cousin), and several very nice gifts.

I also go to spend time with my Grandpa, which is always a true blessing. I love this man more than life itself! He has been my rock, my friend, and my refuge pretty much all my life.

I hope everyone else had a great holiday!
Old 12-29-2010, 01:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have been vidicated!! I can always count on my SIL and brother to pull me out of the Charlie Brown Christmas bag... I got a pajama gram today.
(UPS dropped the ball! )
Old 12-29-2010, 09:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I like to be the one who buys for others, instead of receiving! I also like to be surprised, but that doesn't usually happen because my husband is the type who says 'Buy whatever you want to have!' Granted, he doesn't have a lot of time to shop. So, I bought The Simpsons 20th season box set. I also bought two Barbie dolls, since I collect them. The first is from 1976, the second is from 1983. These pics are not of the actual dolls I received, but they are pics I found online of the dolls.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy4life View Post
I am an only child, and not yet married, so, my parents tend to go a little overboard on Christmas for me.
I tend to do the same for them, because I have no children or husband to blow my hard earned cash on!

Same here! After Thanksgiving my father twisted my arm into accepting a 46" Sony LED television (actually, it was more about who could whip out the credit card quicker at the checkout line; the old codger beat me to it!). And then at Christmas it was a check for $700. I wasn't always an only child... but now that I am, I suppose they will not stop at anything less than spoiling me rotten.

I bought my parents an iPad for Christmas. Imagine trying to train a couple of people in their 70s (who barely speak or read English) how to watch videos on YouTube and buy apps at the App Store! But soon enough my father was surfing the internet and my mother was playing Angry Birds and Mahjong. I'd never used the iPad before and I was rather skeptical about it since it appeared to be nothing but an oversized iPhone. But OMG, it's fantastic! I'm getting one of my own once Apple has sorted out their phobia of Flash/Java and they've implemented multi-tasking and a file system. Or is that too PC-like for Mr. Jobs?

Last edited by HejiraNYC; 12-29-2010 at 11:58 AM..