The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ah SYW........Lazy mess of an album. Lindsey solo stuff with Stevie pasted backing vocals? I'll pass. Stevie was pretty below par on it as well. Not a good album at all, IMO, of course.

Turned me off to the prospect of a new album......seriously

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 01-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlboymusic View Post
Well, that's up for debate. I always thought SYW sounded like a great Lindsey album with a few mediocre Stevie songs shoved in (mediocre in part because they were produced/arranged as if they were Lindsey songs, when that production/arrangement really doesn't work for her voice or her lyrics). And while I can't really complain about getting an album that sounds like a great Lindsey album, I want Fleetwood Mac albums to sound like Fleetwood Mac albums.
well said!
Old 01-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If they wrote songs together, that would be something for Stevie to do in a studio (besides record her vocals). But if they didn't, why would Stevie need to be in the studio with the studio rats from beginning to end? What good would it do? These days, you only need to be in the studio if you're tracking. Even if you're just listening to playback & throwing in your 2 cents, you can do that by FedEx.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-07-2012, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
If they wrote songs together, that would be something for Stevie to do in a studio (besides record her vocals). But if they didn't, why would Stevie need to be in the studio with the studio rats from beginning to end? What good would it do? These days, you only need to be in the studio if you're tracking. Even if you're just listening to playback & throwing in your 2 cents, you can do that by FedEx.
She should be in the studio, preferably a rented house, so they can bond and psychically forge a masterpiece, with a shared soul as their mixing board.

Michele
Old 01-07-2012, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlboymusic View Post
Well, that's up for debate. I always thought SYW sounded like a great Lindsey album with a few mediocre Stevie songs shoved in (mediocre in part because they were produced/arranged as if they were Lindsey songs, when that production/arrangement really doesn't work for her voice or her lyrics). And while I can't really complain about getting an album that sounds like a great Lindsey album, I want Fleetwood Mac albums to sound like Fleetwood Mac albums.
i agree with the bolded part. most of lindsey's songs on SYW are great - but SYW is not nearly as epic of a lindsey album as the original GOS would have been. and most of stevie's songs on SYW just drag it down.

if for no other reason, then just so we don't have to read for the 10000th time the argument that although stevie's songs on SYW are pretty crappy a producer putting more effort in them might have made them great anyway, i want FM to work together on songs from ground up, and have DS as a producer. we can see what comes out.

Last edited by elle; 01-07-2012 at 04:42 PM..
Old 01-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I actually really like SYW. Including some of Stevie's songs ( though that's mostly for Lindsey's guitar work! ). I think he did OK with it production wise too. The original GOS was way better but I bet he tires of always taking his really great songs and trying to figure out a way to add Stevie and FM into the mix, knowing that it's going to bring them down no matter what he does since they were so amazing already.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm glad we're discussing SYW because I vehemently disagree with BlueFox (once again, what's new?). The album is not "lazy" it just isn't sequenced that well, and Lindsey's stuff is stellar and, frankly, this album was the birth of my fandom with LB/FM so I can't knock it. Stevie's songs...well, there are some nice ones (DR, TD, RTTG, "Illume") and then there's the rest, which I sort of don't remember that well because they weren't outstanding.

But I'm sorry "Red Rover," "Miranda," "Murrow...", "Steal Your Heart Away," "Say Goodbye," "Bleed to Love Her" are all soooo amazing. I really didn't care for "Peacekeeper" at all though. Yeah I said it. Come at me.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 01-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Come?
Old 01-07-2012, 11:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStevie View Post
Come?

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 01-07-2012, 11:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

it is lazy in my view because they're all Bucky solo songs (Granted great ones.....never said they weren't) With Stevie backing vocals pasted in. That is lazy. Stevie herself is poo on that album. It in no way resembles a Mac album. they could have done better. Pure A-garbage.....it felt like a slap in my face at the time...still does.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 01-08-2012, 01:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Murrow should have been left solo
Whats the world coming to is whiney crap
Illume is too weird
RTTG Smile and GB were better as demos
Say goodbye was better live

besides that it is pretty good

I think they have at least one more great album in them if they collaborate with an outside producer.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post
it is lazy in my view because they're all Bucky solo songs (Granted great ones.....never said they weren't) With Stevie backing vocals pasted in. That is lazy. Stevie herself is poo on that album. It in no way resembles a Mac album. they could have done better. Pure A-garbage.....it felt like a slap in my face at the time...still does.
right. so you would rather that they did to all these lindsey-gems what they did to Peacekeeper? listen to the version with stevie not just pasted in but song completely changed to be around her vs the original fast version of Peacekeeper and tell me that SYW version is better.

i am very happy that we got official version of Murrow, Rover, Miranda, Come, etc out even if it had to be on a FM album. and i would hate it if they did to these songs what they did to Peacekeeper in order to make it more mac. SYW is a great album b/c of these songs - even if it is uneven, slapped together, and could use better sequencing. come to think of it, maybe once she did join the recording sessions, stevie had a bit too much influence on the album outcome (e.g., wasn't she the sequencer?) and THAT was the problem?
Old 01-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
right. so you would rather that they did to all these lindsey-gems what they did to Peacekeeper? listen to the version with stevie not just pasted in but song completely changed to be around her vs the original fast version of Peacekeeper and tell me that SYW version is better.

i am very happy that we got official version of Murrow, Rover, Miranda, Come, etc out even if it had to be on a FM album. and i would hate it if they did to these songs what they did to Peacekeeper in order to make it more mac. SYW is a great album b/c of these songs - even if it is uneven, slapped together, and could use better sequencing. come to think of it, maybe once she did join the recording sessions, stevie had a bit too much influence on the album outcome (e.g., wasn't she the sequencer?) and THAT was the problem?
No the Original Peacekeeper is much better. I'd just rather they worked more together instead of Lindsey saying, "Here's my songs....add your vocal." It does not feel like a group effort......THAT'S my problem. I don't know how else to put it. I guess it just irks me that they were all solo songs from a prior project.....as evidenced by the GOS Bootleg

Beside all that......It's just an albumlol'

Mick

-Tom Waits

Last edited by bluefox4000; 01-08-2012 at 11:48 AM..
Old 01-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post
No the Original Peacekeeper is much better. I'd just rather they worked more together instead of Lindsey saying, "Here's my songs....add your vocal." It does not feel like a group effort......THAT'S my problem. I don't know how else to put it. I guess it just irks me that they were all solo songs from a prior project.....as evidenced by the GOS Bootleg
oh i know what you are saying. my point back is just "be careful what you wish for!" - as evidenced by what happened to Peacekeeper, or even She Smiled Sweetly. and a demo like Smile at you. sometimes reworking the songs may not be better solution. sometimes they are perfect or very close to perfect as they were. as evidenced by the GOS bootleg.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
oh i know what you are saying. my point back is just "be careful what you wish for!" - as evidenced by what happened to Peacekeeper, or even She Smiled Sweetly. and a demo like Smile at you. sometimes reworking the songs may not be better solution. sometimes they are perfect or very close to perfect as they were. as evidenced by the GOS bootleg.
Lol right. If they make a new album of COURSE i'll buy it......I'll just be very scared

Mick

-Tom Waits