User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Not me. I can listen to BD and RAL pretty much without ever skipping anything. I skip a lot of IYD and a lot here.

I don't skip:

24karat gold
mabel normand
watch chain

I sometimes skip:
belle fleur
starshine
lady
all the beautiful worlds
the dealer
i don't care
cathouse blues (skip most of the time but not always)

I always skip:
carousel
blue water (like the demo)
hard advice
if you were my love (love the demos)
she loves him still (love the demo)
twisted (prefer the box set version)

It's clear on many of these songs why they didn't make it onto an album long before now. I enjoy getting new stuff from her, but this is far, far, from being her best album ever. This isn't the album I would give to someone who knew nothing about her or that I would want to stand as sole testament to her legacy. This is very much an insider's collection.
agree TOTALLY on last part.I think Stevie will be dissappointed with all-around sales.Not satisfying for "moi".....
Old 11-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Senior Ledgie

I absolutely loved the slick vocalization of In Your Dreams but the raw vocals of 24 Karat Gold was a welcomed change. It brought out Stevie's classic sound.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I hardly think everybody loves Rock A Little.
shut up
more people like RAL than SA ... gimme that would ya?
Old 11-10-2014, 02:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
I really think her shouting at the end of Lady does work beautifully. I know it's not "pretty" but it just matches the lyric to tremendous effect.

Other than that I kind of agree with most of your post, GS, although I actually do connect with the album on the whole. I love Mabel Normand, but it is ridiculous at the same time. That's sort of why it works for me. But I do wish she'd lay off talking about how "important" it is. It simply isn't. Someone please tell the woman.

Hard Advice is classic overly-literal modern Stevie, and although I do enjoy the song, it frustrates me at the same time. Just because you see something at the mall one time doesn't mean you should write it into a song. And the ernest delivery of the final notes "Don't buy that doll" just doesn't match the words at all. I wish she'd be open to more of an collaborative editing process with some of her songs, but I'm not holding my breath. We're going to hear more lyrics like this if/when she records again.
I don't like "don't buy that doll" either but it doesn't ruin the song for me. Mabel Normand is ridiculous but the music is terrific and it does feel totally unique. I wouldn't call it a song though and it is only important to her.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel86 View Post
shut up
more people like RAL than SA ... gimme that would ya?
I will give you that and I think RAL is her most fascinating album.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryderi View Post
I absolutely loved the slick vocalization of In Your Dreams but the raw vocals of 24 Karat Gold was a welcomed change. It brought out Stevie's classic sound.
Definitely agree with this. To me, 24 Karat Gold is the first album that sounds like a Stevie Nicks album since The Wild Heart. I love Rock A Little, and TISL and especially In Your Dreams - but those all sound like Stevie post-cocaine, which is never really quite the Stevie Nicks whose songs I fell in love with during my childhood. 24 Karat Gold feel vintage, and I love that about it.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 11-10-2014, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I will give you that and I think RAL is her most fascinating album.
I think there was/is a GREAT missed opportunity for RAL 2 with all the outtakes and stuff. RAL is my fave Stevie!era
Old 11-10-2014, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel86 View Post
I think there was/is a GREAT missed opportunity for RAL 2 with all the outtakes and stuff. RAL is my fave Stevie!era
Agreed. Just like "Bella Donna", I think "Rock A Little" was a very prolific era for her song writing. She could do a whole album based off of the outtakes from those 2 albums alone!
Old 11-11-2014, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
The one thing I do think this album lacks that IYD had in spades is songs with an emotional build to them.
I could not disagree more with this assessment. There are several songs on 24KG that feature emotional builds/climaxes.

"Hard Advice" breaks away from the melodic hook woven throughout the song (not clunky at all) till it shifts gears and slams that amazing final coda in its final minute.

"Mabel Normand" amps up the intensity when the jagged, almost "Edge"-like additional guitars kicks down the door during the foreboding finale of the song as Stevie sings the final 3 verses - "so continue on your destructive road" - ending with the climactic lyrical ode "So sad. So Beautiful."

"If You Were My Love" finally gets an emotional climax in this new & imo best version ever. And it's bone chilling! It comes when Stevie woefully sings the three final "at alls' punctuated against weeping guitar wails and dreamy drum fills. Ending with a sighful standing down. Beautiful! This song is finally awash in a dreamy, practically cinematic hue.

This new version of "Twisted", even while featuring a more nuanced and relaxed vocal approach, has an undeniable, even skillfully subtle escalation of intensity going on musically and lyrically through the end.

"Starshine" builds until the final "playing with fire is...WRONG" and keeps that energy going to finish out the song.
Same with "The Dealer" - when that final chorus kicks in, the Hammond organ swells with the build-up of the music, along with Stevie singing the finale with added conviction!

Others that build in my opinion are "Belle Fluer", "All The Beautiful Worlds", "I Don't Care" and "24 Karat Gold" - which features more & more musical layers (dueling guitars, harmonies) which conclude that song with Stevie singing the chorus at wicked pace.

"Lady" -enough said!

Last edited by Christopher; 11-11-2014 at 05:35 PM..
Old 11-11-2014, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Definitely agree with this. To me, 24 Karat Gold is the first album that sounds like a Stevie Nicks album since The Wild Heart. I love Rock A Little, and TISL and especially In Your Dreams - but those all sound like Stevie post-cocaine, which is never really quite the Stevie Nicks whose songs I fell in love with during my childhood. 24 Karat Gold feel vintage, and I love that about it.
I agree with this, but I'd also add "Rock A Little" to that list of albums that sound quintessentially Stevie Nicks - even while she didn't write the whole record, she owned every song with her committed vocals and unique style.
"In Your Dreams" did sound like a Stevie Nicks record in that it seemed Dave really tried to stay true to Stevie and meld all of her diverse musical sides on that record, plus Stevie wrote every lyric except the chorus to ELY, and of course, "Annabel Lee." But with IYD some of Stevies' idiosyncratic, eccentric, qualities are sanitized, however it is another amazing piece of work overall. "24 Karat Gold" just sounds like classic Stevie. Stevie threw down on this record! Her producer hat is represented strongly here.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
I could not disagree more with this assessment. There are several songs on 24KG that feature emotional builds/climaxes.

"Hard Advice" breaks away from the melodic hook woven throughout the song (not clunky at all) till it shifts gears and slams that amazing final coda in its final minute.

"Mabel Normand" amps up the intensity when the jagged, almost "Edge"-like additional guitars kicks down the door during the foreboding finale of the song as Stevie sings the final 3 verses - "so continue on your destructive road" - ending with the climactic lyrical ode "So sad. So Beautiful."

"If You Were My Love" finally gets an emotional climax in this new & imo best version ever. And it's bone chilling! It comes when Stevie woefully sings the three final "at alls' punctuated against weeping guitar wails and dreamy drum fills. Ending with a sighful standing down. Beautiful! This song is finally is awash in a dreamy, practically cinematic hue.

This new version of "Twisted", even while featuring a more nuanced and relaxed vocal approach, has an undeniable, even skillfully subtle escalation of intensity going on musically and lyrically through the end.

"Starshine" builds until the final "playing with fire is...WRONG" and keeps that energy going to finish out the song.
Same with "The Dealer" - when that final chorus kicks in, the Hammond organ swells with the build-up of the music, along with Stevie singing the finale with added conviction!

Others that build in my opinion are "Belle Fluer", "All The Beautiful Worlds", "I Don't Care" and "24 Karat Gold" - which features more & more musical layers (dueling guitars, harmonies) which conclude that song with Stevie singing the chorus at wicked pace.

"Lady" -enough said!
^^ This! Thank you!!!
Old 11-11-2014, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

"If You Were My Love" finally gets an emotional climax in this new & imo best version ever. And it's bone chilling! It comes when Stevie woefully sings the three final "at alls' punctuated against weeping guitar wails and dreamy drum fills. Ending with a sighful standing down. Beautiful! This song is finally is awash in a dreamy, practically cinematic hue.

"Lady" -enough said!
If You Were My Love is hands down my favorite song off the album. It's a mesmerizing ballad and one of her best ever. Love the way she sings this song. Somehow it manages to be sweet, dark and an emotional powder keg. One day I only listened to this song on constant repeat.

Last edited by Jondalar; 11-11-2014 at 06:55 PM..
Old 11-11-2014, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If You Were My Love is hands down my favorite song off the album. It's a mesmerizing ballad and one of her best ever. Love the way she songs this song. Somehow it manages to be sweet, dark and an emotional powder keg. One day I only listened to this song on constant repeat.
"If You Were My Love" is one of the many, many highlights on 24KG. There are so many! I think because it's a mood song, slower paced (and unlike the "Mirage" era failed attempt) that some haven't given it a fair chance, or closer listen. Heck, even I overlooked it the first week or so because 16 tracks is alot to digest. But when it hit me, it slayed me! It's an art piece in silvery gray hues and glowing bitterweet tones. Stevie sings it masterfully. As she does on almost all of this entire record.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Senior Ledgie

I recently ordered the deluxe cd and was blown away at how much of a difference song sequencing can make. It's like night and day. If You Were My Love is perfect as the second song.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"If You Were My Love" is one of the many, many highlights on 24KG. There are so many! I think because it's a mood song, slower paced (and unlike the "Mirage" era failed attempt) that some haven't given it a fair chance, or closer listen. Heck, even I overlooked it the first week or so because 16 tracks is alot to digest. But when it hit me, it slayed me! It's an art piece in silvery gray hues and glowing bitterweet tones. Stevie sings it masterfully. As she does on almost all of this entire record.
I love slow songs. I am melancholy's biggest fan. Sad songs make my day. If You Were My Love, for some reason, is totally maddening to me. Monotonous droning is the way I would describe it. I've *tried to like it* - I do love the guitar, and the way it changes with drama in the latter portions of the song. No other song in Stevie's entire catalog annoys me as much as If You Were My Love. Soldier's Angel comes pretty close. Ok, and Cry Wolf.

It's definitely her vocal that is the issue for me, because I'd love an instrumental version of the song.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case