The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Nice pics Louie. I was watching a segment on those cars awhile back on VH1 I Love the 80's but never knew anyone who actually owned one. You look great in that car too. I don't want Brandon to get mad tho for me saying that haha. : P
Old 12-10-2009, 09:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I've owned 2 DeLoreans: my first was an '82, my second was an '81. I was hit by a drunk in the first one:

They're not impossible to get parts for, just go to:

www.delorean.com

They have 120 years worth of parts left. They are coming out with new and improved reproduction parts all the time too. Parts are plentiful and affordable, as DeLorean's mainly utilized off the shelf hardware: Volvo engine, Renault Transmission, Lotus suspension and frame, etc etc etc. You can buy spark plugs, oil and air filters for them from your local Autozone or Napa. Most all parts can be cross referenced too.

There is one rumor about DeLoreans that unfortunately is true: they're very fickle. The cars were rushed into production without all the proper engineering work, so they have built in weak points. Their electrical, fuel, and cooling systems will all give you grief. 30 years of aging and often neglect only magnifies all this. If you don't study up on all of these shortcomings and especially the Bosch fuel system, the car will get the better of you.

If a DeLorean is truly your dream, my best piece of advice to you is to join one or both of these forums:

www.dmctalk.com
www.dmcnews.com

See if you can connect with owners in your area. Start going to gatherings and tech meets. Read up as much about the cars as you can. Learn from owners past mistakes, learn what maintenance updates the cars require. If you just blindly buy the first DeLorean you come across, you can easily dump $20,000+ into it to get it running right. If you do your homework, buy a well sorted out car, and do your own maintenance, they're surprisingly economical and reliable as far as "exotic" cars go (if you can call the DeLorean an exotic). There are DeLoreans out there running around on their original engines with 500,000 miles (you can't kill a Volvo engine!), and the cars get close to 30mpg on the highway. You've just gotta learn their quirks inside and out, or they'll totally kick your ass.
i have always loved those cars~ i remember telling you i saw one in the middle of nowhere at a gas station in south dakota, it was super neato!!!~

awesome pics!!!~
Old 12-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1998 View Post
Louie, great car! I love DeLoreans....

Here's a recent pic for you all
lovin; the do maria!!!~ how's sara?, my dylan's 10 now & going on 30~
Old 12-10-2009, 09:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I've owned 2 DeLoreans: my first was an '82, my second was an '81. I was hit by a drunk in the first one:

They're not impossible to get parts for, just go to:

www.delorean.com

They have 120 years worth of parts left. They are coming out with new and improved reproduction parts all the time too. Parts are plentiful and affordable, as DeLorean's mainly utilized off the shelf hardware: Volvo engine, Renault Transmission, Lotus suspension and frame, etc etc etc. You can buy spark plugs, oil and air filters for them from your local Autozone or Napa. Most all parts can be cross referenced too.

There is one rumor about DeLoreans that unfortunately is true: they're very fickle. The cars were rushed into production without all the proper engineering work, so they have built in weak points. Their electrical, fuel, and cooling systems will all give you grief. 30 years of aging and often neglect only magnifies all this. If you don't study up on all of these shortcomings and especially the Bosch fuel system, the car will get the better of you.

If a DeLorean is truly your dream, my best piece of advice to you is to join one or both of these forums:

www.dmctalk.com
www.dmcnews.com

See if you can connect with owners in your area. Start going to gatherings and tech meets. Read up as much about the cars as you can. Learn from owners past mistakes, learn what maintenance updates the cars require. If you just blindly buy the first DeLorean you come across, you can easily dump $20,000+ into it to get it running right. If you do your homework, buy a well sorted out car, and do your own maintenance, they're surprisingly economical and reliable as far as "exotic" cars go (if you can call the DeLorean an exotic). There are DeLoreans out there running around on their original engines with 500,000 miles (you can't kill a Volvo engine!), and the cars get close to 30mpg on the highway. You've just gotta learn their quirks inside and out, or they'll totally kick your ass.
Thanks for this Louie. Yeah, I really want one but no way I can afford one until I'm earning a bit more cash when I have a proper job after finishing this damn phD! I suppose that means I should get my ass off The Ledge but oh well...

By the way, what does happen when you hit 88?!
Old 12-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
hot bitch! i love your hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GODDESS6 View Post
lovin; the do maria!!!~ how's sara?, my dylan's 10 now & going on 30~
Thanks guys!
Saras large and in charge! Haha! 11 now... They're such a trip at this age!
Old 12-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks guys!
Saras large and in charge! Haha! 11 now... They're such a trip at this age!
oh lordy yes~ my son overnight went to a cutsey little boy room to hanging a scarface & rolling stones poster~ he also hung a mac one & jessica simpson as daisy duke, he's growing up & i'm freaking~ he asked the other day how old he had to be to get his ear pierced~
Old 12-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post
Thanks for this Louie. Yeah, I really want one but no way I can afford one until I'm earning a bit more cash when I have a proper job after finishing this damn phD! I suppose that means I should get my ass off The Ledge but oh well...

Yeah, they're a bit expensive on your side of the pond... 30,000 Pounds or so. You'll probably be better off importing one from the States when the time comes. Good luck on your PhD!!

And I used to have all sorts of comebacks to the 88MPH question (did you see my license plate by the way?).

1) You get a speeding ticket
2) The car completely blows up (DeLoreans aren't known for their reliability!)
Old 12-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
oh lordy yes~ my son overnight went to a cutsey little boy room to hanging a scarface & rolling stones poster~ he also hung a mac one & jessica simpson as daisy duke, he's growing up & i'm freaking~ he asked the other day how old he had to be to get his ear pierced~
I know.... I just completly remodeled saras room for he birthday because she didn't want "that baby room" anymore. Now it's grown up girl colors with a black sleigh bed. She asked for curtins and a black night stand for Christmas! I took her to see Dave Matthews over the summer, and she bought this really cool poster there... Now she wants it framed and matted as hung in her room. She even asked for black lights and some rope lights around the perimeter of her ceiling. Haha! And the make-up thing is killing me. I'll give her this this though... She can put it on rather well!!!
Old 12-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I know.... I just completly remodeled saras room for he birthday because she didn't want "that baby room" anymore. Now it's grown up girl colors with a black sleigh bed. She asked for curtins and a black night stand for Christmas! I took her to see Dave Matthews over the summer, and she bought this really cool poster there... Now she wants it framed and matted as hung in her room. She even asked for black lights and some rope lights around the perimeter of her ceiling. Haha! And the make-up thing is killing me. I'll give her this this though... She can put it on rather well!!!
sounds like i'd love her style~
Old 12-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post

EIGHTY EIGHT MILESSS PER HOUUUURRRR!
Old 12-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So, mom... you should let him get his ear pierced....
Old 12-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
So, mom... you should let him get his ear pierced....
i told him i wasn't opposed to the idea but to come back & ask again when he's 12~
Old 12-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Supporting Ledgie

I got mine done when I was 16, and my Mom forbade it before then... when she finally caved, she actually said "I like it!"
Old 12-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
I got mine done when I was 16, and my Mom forbade it before then... when she finally caved, she actually said "I like it!"
i was always allowed to be a free spirit as long as i was a clean kid, that is what my mom always said~ so i try to do the same w/ my son~ last haircut he got, he got a fade w/ lines cut in his hair~
Old 12-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i was always allowed to be a free spirit as long as i was a clean kid, that is what my mom always said~ so i try to do the same w/ my son~ last haircut he got, he got a fade w/ lines cut in his hair~
But as a mother you need to draw the line at turning orange and threading the eyebrows! Just. say. no.