User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeAWillow View Post
I've been reading a lot about how this idea is become the new school of thought in the fitness world. I feel like I, personally, need to keep cardio at least for now, though. I'm in pretty terrible shape, and the smallest things will leave me out of breath. I'm just lucky that I have a fast metabolism.

Another question-- is there any time of day that is most effective for a work out? Should I aim to get up every morning and go or are afternoons/evenings preferred?
Time of day? I've heard most claims that the morning is best. But I think that whatever time you'll actualy work out is the best time. For me, it's 5:30/6am. I've stuck to it for the past 4-5 years. I get it over with, it wakes me up & I feel great all day. My sister-in-law goes to the gym after her kids at in bed, at like 10pm. Whatever works.

Quote:
And a general discussion question! Who do all of you work out for? Yourselves? Your partners? The perception of the world at large? Your crush?

I'm mainly trying to get in better shape for myself. I hit a slump every single winter, and my mental and physical health just plummets. I think the two are incredibly tied together, and I'm hoping that if I commit to taking better care of my body, I'll start to feel a little emotionally more sound.

But let's also not kid ourselves here. There's a guy in this picture as well. He and I have had that charming little "you're not my friend, you're not my love" vibe going on since we broke up, and I want to start things back up this summer, at least physically. Having the body that I want when that time comes around might help me have the balls to actually go through with it.
I work out for myself mainly, because I feel better physically & mentally when I do. I am proud of myself for losing those 20 pounds 4 years ago, keeping it off, losing it again after my pregnancy. But my husband sure as hell doesn't mind (although he never minded when I was heavier either.) it doesn't hurt my self-esteem to get compliments on my tiny waist or tight abs either, but that's not my primary reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Myself. BUT, all I can say is- I only have 3 days off this week, and I have FOUR different date offers. I'm not ****ting anyone. If I had a 4th day off, I could go on 4 different dates. My mind is reeling. They're coming out of the woodwork, and I don't know why.
I can only say that it must be a testament to staying somewhat in shape, and being a happy person(happier than I used to be, anyway). Because my life hasn't been like this, before.
^^I don't mean for any of that to sound like bragging. I'm quite confused about who I want to go out with....too many options.
What happened to the grad student?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
A "girl" I used to work with was a classic "skinny fat." For all intents and purposes, she looked like an attractive, thin (maybe even skinny) city girl. But she was sooo out of shape in terms of fitness. She joined an Equinox gym for their yoga classes, and they basically told her that she had an insanely high body fat percentage. Anyway, after several months of attending classes, she doesn't really look any different, but she claims to be much "tighter," more flexible and has greater stamina. The bottom line is that, unlike straight cardio, yoga is essentially a form of strength training that concentrates on the core. If weights are not your thing, I think yoga is the next best thing.

In terms of time of day... I'm sure there is an optimal period; I just don't know what it is. Ultimately you should choose a schedule that is sustainable- something you can stick with indefinitely. I don't think it makes any sense to start a regimen just to achieve a specific short-term goal; if you make it compatible with your lifestyle, then it' something you will stick with, which is the most important thing.
1) No offense, Homie, but this is how you seem to me. I mean, I'm glad you're happy with how you look, but what about your health?

2) Yoga is awesome. Posture, strength, flexibility. Love it. Pilates is great too, but you need a really good instructor. I personally would rather feel strong & healthy & tight, rather than thin or skinny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepingDeath View Post
You're right. As hard as it is, I am trying to stay healthy. It's just a little difficult not to have a friend to bitch to. I was pretty much a loner growing up. I think I might go back to that, and forget about friendships...
I don't think you have to forget friendships in general. It's just going to take a while to find friends who aren't into the things you used to be into (did that make any sense?) Like, where do you meet these people? Party people hang out with other party people - so when the party stops, where do you connect with other healthy people? I wish I had a great answer for you.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post

What happened to the grad student?

1) No offense, Homie, but this is how you seem to me. I mean, I'm glad you're happy with how you look, but what about your health?
Check. That was last night's date. We're still in slow motion. I've been promised that it will speed up, when the semester ends, in 3 weeks. We'll see. We have no agreement of being exclusive. And I'm not very good at doing anything at a turtle's speed.

I feel like a million bucks. The weight loss dropped my cholesterol 93!!!! points, and my blood pressure is lower.

I NEED to start exercising, though. Although I really don't mind starving myself....to be honest, I'm USED to it, now. It's nothing for me to go 27-28 hours between eating anything. Once you accept that those hunger pangs are nothing....ignore them, and drink another bottle of water. I'm on bottle #4 of water today, right now. I haven't eaten since 5PM yesterday, and it's looking like 7 or 8PM, before I'll get a dinner break today.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Check. That was last night's date. We're still in slow motion. I've been promised that it will speed up, when the semester ends, in 3 weeks. We'll see. We have no agreement of being exclusive. And I'm not very good at doing anything at a turtle's speed.

I feel like a million bucks. The weight loss dropped my cholesterol 93!!!! points, and my blood pressure is lower.

I NEED to start exercising, though. Although I really don't mind starving myself....to be honest, I'm USED to it, now. It's nothing for me to go 27-28 hours between eating anything. Once you accept that those hunger pangs are nothing....ignore them, and drink another bottle of water. I'm on bottle #4 of water today, right now. I haven't eaten since 5PM yesterday, and it's looking like 7 or 8PM, before I'll get a dinner break today.
Hunger pains are your body's way of telling you to eat. Seriously! It doesn't have to be a cheeseburger or anything - just eat something!
Old 04-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I have many memories of going to Shreveport and Bossier City. In fact, I was just there in November.
My condolences.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
Hunger pains are your body's way of telling you to eat. Seriously! It doesn't have to be a cheeseburger or anything - just eat something!
I tell my body to STFU!!
Mind over matter. I'm the boss. The body's not.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There is no question that cardio is good for the heart and it helps to develop fitness and stamina. But I am a bit skeptical about it as a means of transforming your body. The problem with cardio is that it tends to burn off carbs, then muscle, then fat. Hence, you don't see lots of big-muscled endurance athletes. And when the body is depleted of carbs, the tendency is for it to crave more and more carbs, which can be a vicious cycle. Muscle burns more calories at rest and actually transforms the shape of your body. Strength training not only helps to build/preserve muscle, it also helps to strengthen bones, improve posture and the increase in strength leads to an overall feeling of wellbeing. I hate to say it, but I think people who do only cardio are, well... lazy. Not physically lazy, but mentally lazy. Cardio is mindless and repetitive and requires no concentration at all. Weight training, especially when you are working your muscles to the point of absolute fatigue (which is needed to stimulate growth and strength gains), requires absolute concentration and mental focus. If you are really serious about attaining/maintaining an ideal physique, I think weights (supplemented with a sane, non-gimmicky diet) are the way to go; walking and taking the stairs should be all the cardio you really need. Just IMHO.

I've been doing both-- 30-45 minutes cardio a day and another 30 minutes weight training. I can DEFINITELY feel my muscles getting stronger and stronger-- that's by far the most noticeable change so far. We'll see...
Old 04-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I've been reading a lot about how this idea is become the new school of thought in the fitness world. I feel like I, personally, need to keep cardio at least for now, though. I'm in pretty terrible shape, and the smallest things will leave me out of breath. I'm just lucky that I have a fast metabolism.

Another question-- is there any time of day that is most effective for a work out? Should I aim to get up every morning and go or are afternoons/evenings preferred?
I do mornings because it jumpstarts your metabolism and it gives you energy for the rest of the day. Plus, I'm much more likely to push myself it I work out in the morning instead of after classes when I'm falling into my afternoon lull.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
I do mornings because it jumpstarts your metabolism and it gives you energy for the rest of the day. Plus, I'm much more likely to push myself it I work out in the morning instead of after classes when I'm falling into my afternoon lull.
I think I need to get on board this with you. The mornings are really the only time I can be productive. I hate getting up early, but I'm in classes all day and once evening hits, I ain't getting **** done.
You're so like me
Old 04-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And a general discussion question! Who do all of you work out for? Yourselves? Your partners? The perception of the world at large? Your crush?
This is a really complicated question for me to answer, but for the most part, I'm doing it for me because I've nothing short of hated myself for the past few years. It's heavily tied into my upbringing-- my mother is a gorgeous, gorgeous woman who's been telling me that I'll never be as pretty as her since I was little, and my dad's a 6'3", 350lb OUTRAGEOUSLY compulsive eater. That's a really bad combination-- you learn that it's okay to eat your feelings when you're upset (or, to be honest, anytime) and yet you need to look absolutely perfect or else you're worthless. I've hidden my confidence issues extremely well. No one alive can fake it as well as I can-- particularly when it comes to my relationships. I am fully aware that my confidence is the most attractive part about me, but the physical component of that isn't genuine. At all.

So.... I'm in the gym constantly and I'm eating super well. I just need to keep myself emotionally intact until it starts working....

Dating a guy with the most beautiful body EVER doesn't help things either, but he compliments me (physically) constantly which puts me at ease. I know he doesn't expect me to change but it's definitely an incentive.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think I need to get on board this with you. The mornings are really the only time I can be productive. I hate getting up early, but I'm in classes all day and once evening hits, I ain't getting **** done.
You'll get used to it. I've gotten minorly addicted to working out.... I went twice yesterday and couldn't have felt better. I may go again in a few minutes (even though I worked out this morning) just because I'm bored and it's a better alternative than napping.

We should be each other's motivation via text!
Old 04-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm actually an exercise ADDICT, and work out twice a day (once at 5:30am & then again after work). I do this 6 days a week, and yes it's sooooooo hard to get used to. I had to force myself out of bed every morning for six weeks, until it became a habit.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Another thing: I'm reallllly hoping my curves (particularly my boobs) don't go away when I stop dropping weight. I have specific areas that I'm hoping to drop from but you can't really target where you'll lose fat, only where you'll gain muscle...

If my boobs shrink, I'll be so pissed.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
You'll get used to it. I've gotten minorly addicted to working out.... I went twice yesterday and couldn't have felt better. I may go again in a few minutes (even though I worked out this morning) just because I'm bored and it's a better alternative than napping.

We should be each other's motivation via text!
I belonged to a gym for about 2 years before I started going regularly, and when I say "regularly", I mean 6 days a week (sometimes 7) and sometimes even twice or three times a day, depending on the situation. At one point, when I was playing in a band nearly 6 nights a week, I'd go to the venue we were playing early to set my gear up (can't afford roadies, had to do it myself), then go find the nearest location of the gym I belonged to, which usually was within a couple of miles. I'd do my usual work out...20 min on a treadmill to kick the cardio & pulse up, then do my weight circuit (which, depending on how busy the gym was, about 45 minutes), then back on the treadmill to do a "cool down'. Then I'd go get into stage attire, head back to the venue in time to do a quick sound check, then off to the bar for "attitude ajustment", then it was on stage for 5 hours. After the gig, if the gym location was open 24 hours, it would be back to the gym for another workout (mainly to sweat out the alcohol), then head home. Just to start the routine over again the next day/night.

I dropped a whole lot of weight while I was in that band and had decent muscle tone. After I left that band and didn't play as often, my workout regimen dwindled, too. To the point of letting my gym membership lapse. Wouldn't mind getting into that routine of the "daily workout" again, but at this point, I'm not internally motivated...need the kick-start of external motivation to get back into it.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My rules for weight loss:

-no calorie counting.
-avoid any food that is white (except egg whites). This includes sugar, milk, white bread, white pasta, cheese, etc.
-no meat.
-lots of veggies, fruit and nuts.
-low salt.
-no eating three hours before bed time.
-no cardio. Only weights
Hey man.
I'll tell you that I eat all the things I want, a lot of meat, and all of that stuff, so don't watch what you're eating.

The big thing that helps is lifting, which is awesome that you're doing that. But add in like, a day or two of cardio a week. That's what I'm doing and its helping a lot. Without the cardio you don't have definition, and in my opinion, whats the point of working out if you don't have definition?
Old 04-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
I was a loner growing up and I was miserable. Everybody needs somebody.
I really believe there's not many people out there for me. I don't mean to sound like a crybaby, it's just the way it is.