Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Yes! I listened to Waiting to Exhale this weekend. It is her masterpiece. And how many people on Earth get to have a masterpiece?
Agreed,.................
Old 02-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here is Armond White's review of the Waiting to Exhale soundtrack and movie, written at the time:

http://idontwanttoseethat.blogspot.c...to-exhale.html

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, what a sleazy move on the part of Sony:

http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...in=digitallife

Sony hikes Whitney Houston album prices online

By Athima Chansanchai

It's easy to get so emotional about a singer after they've passed prematurely, as Whitney Houston did Saturday at the age of 48. But fans seeking to buy her albums in remembrance weren't too happy at sudden price hikes so soon after her death.

The Brits picked up on it quickly, with London-based Next Web writer Matt Brian and The Guardian's Josh Halliday both finding the price increases, which raised Houston's "The Ultimate Collection" 2007 album from £5 (about $7.89) to £8 (about $12.63). In the United States, the cost is even steeper: $15 for the "Greatest Hits" collection at both Amazon and iTunes.

Halliday found out that Sony Music increased the price of "The Ultimate Collection" at about 4 a.m. Sunday, not even 12 hours after news broke of Houston's death. Fans were quick to point fingers at Apple for the anti-sale, but it turned out that when Sony bumped up the wholesale price of "The Ultimate Collection," iTunes and other retailers automatically upped their pricing.

We've reached out to Sony for comment and will update if/when we hear from them.

Digital Spy found consumers who said the price change happened even more quickly: 30 minutes for it to jump from $4.74 to $12.62, which prompted one buyer to fume, "The album itself is great so please don't be put off purchasing it, just [realize] that you will merely be lining some fatcat's pocket before Whitney's lifeless body is cold."

Houston's "iTunes Essentials" album is even more expensive at $18.45 for 15 songs (vs. 36 songs for $14.99 on the "Greatest Hits" album, which was originally released in 2000).

Over at Google Music, you can't find those albums, but there are a smattering of free singles, including "Greatest Love of All" and "So Emotional."

Meanwhile, at Walmart, things are just plain fishy. Though the retail giant has exited the music download business, it is still a massive CD retailer. While the pricing of Whitney's CDs hasn't changed, every single one is listed as 'out of stock online.' Could that really be because of a surge in buying? Or is there a price change afoot?

As of this morning, three of Houston's singles were in the top 10 singles chart at iTunes, including the No. 1 "I Will Always Love You," which was also sung in tribute by Jennifer Hudson at last night's Grammy awards. Houston's "Greatest Hits" album was No. 2 on the iTunes albums chart, runner-up to only Adele, who swept the Grammy awards with hits from her "21" album.

By the end of the week, Houston's sales could even surpass her.

Take our poll and let us know if you bought Houston's music, despite the price hikes.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 02-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I won't buy any of those overpriced albums-simply because I already own them all. I used to buy her albums regularly, even some compilations. I don't think she will sell more albums and singles than Michael Jackson after his passing but definately there will be some resurgence in her catalog's sales. I hope her 1987's album "Whitney" will be finally certified Diamond, since its last certification (9 x platinum) came in 1995. Must admit that her music is a soundtrack to the Valentine's Day this year:

I Will Always Love You
Run To You
I Have Nothing
Greatest Love of All
You'll Never Stand Alone
I Believe In You And Me

So many beautiful songs... Her talent went to waste too early really...
Old 02-14-2012, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Wow, what a sleazy move on the part of Sony:

http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...in=digitallife

Sony hikes Whitney Houston album prices online

By Athima Chansanchai

It's easy to get so emotional about a singer after they've passed prematurely, as Whitney Houston did Saturday at the age of 48. But fans seeking to buy her albums in remembrance weren't too happy at sudden price hikes so soon after her death.

The Brits picked up on it quickly, with London-based Next Web writer Matt Brian and The Guardian's Josh Halliday both finding the price increases, which raised Houston's "The Ultimate Collection" 2007 album from £5 (about $7.89) to £8 (about $12.63). In the United States, the cost is even steeper: $15 for the "Greatest Hits" collection at both Amazon and iTunes.

Halliday found out that Sony Music increased the price of "The Ultimate Collection" at about 4 a.m. Sunday, not even 12 hours after news broke of Houston's death. Fans were quick to point fingers at Apple for the anti-sale, but it turned out that when Sony bumped up the wholesale price of "The Ultimate Collection," iTunes and other retailers automatically upped their pricing.

We've reached out to Sony for comment and will update if/when we hear from them.

Digital Spy found consumers who said the price change happened even more quickly: 30 minutes for it to jump from $4.74 to $12.62, which prompted one buyer to fume, "The album itself is great so please don't be put off purchasing it, just [realize] that you will merely be lining some fatcat's pocket before Whitney's lifeless body is cold."

Houston's "iTunes Essentials" album is even more expensive at $18.45 for 15 songs (vs. 36 songs for $14.99 on the "Greatest Hits" album, which was originally released in 2000).

Over at Google Music, you can't find those albums, but there are a smattering of free singles, including "Greatest Love of All" and "So Emotional."

Meanwhile, at Walmart, things are just plain fishy. Though the retail giant has exited the music download business, it is still a massive CD retailer. While the pricing of Whitney's CDs hasn't changed, every single one is listed as 'out of stock online.' Could that really be because of a surge in buying? Or is there a price change afoot?

As of this morning, three of Houston's singles were in the top 10 singles chart at iTunes, including the No. 1 "I Will Always Love You," which was also sung in tribute by Jennifer Hudson at last night's Grammy awards. Houston's "Greatest Hits" album was No. 2 on the iTunes albums chart, runner-up to only Adele, who swept the Grammy awards with hits from her "21" album.

By the end of the week, Houston's sales could even surpass her.

Take our poll and let us know if you bought Houston's music, despite the price hikes.
Sony apologized... Likely only because they were called out on it:

Sony says it’s sorry it raised prices on two Whitney Houston albums at Apple’s U.K. iTunes store the day after the singer’s death.

On Sunday, Sony pushed through wholesale price changes that moved the retail price of Houston’s “The Ultimate Collection” from 4.99 pounds to 7.99, and “Whitney: The Greatest Hits” from 7.99 pounds to 9.99. The label moved the prices back to their original level later that day.

The story flared up throughout the Web yesterday, and Sony wouldn’t comment on the matter until this afternoon.

Here’s the apology statement: “Whitney Houston product was mistakenly mispriced on the UK iTunes store on Sunday. When discovered, the mistake was immediately corrected. We apologize for any offense caused.”
Old 02-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thats BS.Freeloaders will be online downloading it.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 02-15-2012, 05:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Amazing.

If there were any doubts about Whitney Houston's greatness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eGIo_SCrN8

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

RIP Whitney

~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by Travis; 02-15-2012 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: added something
Old 02-15-2012, 07:39 AM
Registered

where was all this love for her last when she was alive... all FU@Ked up crawling out of a club bleeding with the guy who pissed on kim kardashian in her sex tape??

Last edited by olive; 02-15-2012 at 08:25 AM..
Old 02-15-2012, 09:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
where was all this love for her last when she was alive... all FU@Ked up crawling out of a club bleeding with the guy who pissed on kim kardashian in her sex tape??
I think you're confusing sex tapes?!

Old 02-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Registered

no i am confused by the out pour of media and cash no one cared last week except to make fun of ..when Whitney was with ray j ( the pee guy) bleeding and wasted coming out of a club, She unfortunately passed away a few days later and all this love for her comes forward from her celeb "friends" and people who have forgotten her and her music .

Last edited by olive; 02-15-2012 at 11:34 AM..
Old 02-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

ray j peed on kim kardashian in the sex tape??!!

Old 02-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
no i am confused by the out pour of media and cash no one cared last week except to make fun of ..when Whitney was with ray j ( the pee guy) bleeding and wasted coming out of a club, She unfortunately passed away a few days later and all this love for her comes forward from her celeb "friends" and people who have forgotten her and her music .
I see your point, and agree with you - the same thing happened to Michael Jackson and Amy Winehouse. While they were still living they were pretty much jokes and media fodder, but after dying people realize what they've lost. The tributes, the outpouring of grief and appreciation, it all seems a bit phony to say the least. But in truth, each death serves as a reminder for us to appreciate the ones we love - celebrities or not - while they are ALIVE, no matter what. People fall, but are still worthy of love, respect and appreciation.

It's just an unfortunate example of typical human behavior. There's a reason for that expression "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone." So very true.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 02-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
But in truth, each death serves as a reminder for us to appreciate the ones we love - celebrities or not - while they are ALIVE, no matter what.
That's true. One of my closest friends in the whole world is also a person who had been my hero since I was in high school. Seriously, it's as if someone on this board could pick up the phone and have a convo, or go to lunch, or go to a recording session, or WORK on a song/album with Lindsey, Stevie, or Christine. Like I was a die-hard fan before I was a friend. Yet, I wonder how many times I count my blessings or cherish those moments--or how often I just take it for granted. Lots of people would claim their mom or their friends as heroes--which is awesome!--but how many people are lucky enough to be friends with their hero?

Thank you, God, for this blessing!!!

Old 02-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
ray j peed on kim kardashian in the sex tape??!!
how do you think she got famous(cuz her mom leaked the tape) and the idol of so many little girls?