Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-03-2005, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber

um...
specially tricked? Does it make people feel special when you lie to them? Or, maybe, when you lie about lying to them? (in the case that he didn't make that version, and is now lying...)
very confusing.
I have no clue what he's talking about, but I'm certain he's not talking about the Thrown Down I'm talking about. His special version can't be all that special if I've never heard it. Still, the idea that someone would waste their time in an effort to pass off a tweaked version of a song as some special alternate version is quite funny to me. At least that Diva Remixes dude passed them off as his own creation and not some special rarity, even if he wanted to sue the piss and **** out of anyone who mislabeled the bastard things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Oh, and Diss, I hand crafted this post especially for you!
I'm touched.

Old 05-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The bottom line, for me, is that the GOS downloads were free and this e-bay item had a minimum price of $500. Both are unauthorized. But then again, there's a lot of unauthorized stuff on the net, and, it appears that even our heroes are collecting it themselves and have given their blessings to fans (i.e. Bob Welch). Here's the difference. The downloads were free. Nobody was making money off of them, hence Lindsey wasn't losing money. But, if somebody was SELLING unreleased versions of his work, then he would be losing royalties. It's pretty simple.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-03-2005, 09:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
I have no clue what he's talking about, but I'm certain he's not talking about the Thrown Down I'm talking about. His special version can't be all that special if I've never heard it. Still, the idea that someone would waste their time in an effort to pass off a tweaked version of a song as some special alternate version is quite funny to me. At least that Diva Remixes dude passed them off as his own creation and not some special rarity, even if he wanted to sue the piss and **** out of anyone who mislabeled the bastard things.
Yeah, I don't get the whole thing. It's hard for me to care that much.

Quote:
I'm touched.

HA! tricked you! I wanted to make you feel special, but the post was really for everyone to read! HaHA!

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 05-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
The bottom line, for me, is that the GOS downloads were free and this e-bay item had a minimum price of $500. Both are unauthorized. But then again, there's a lot of unauthorized stuff on the net, and, it appears that even our heroes are collecting it themselves and have given their blessings to fans (i.e. Bob Welch). Here's the difference. The downloads were free. Nobody was making money off of them, hence Lindsey wasn't losing money. But, if somebody was SELLING unreleased versions of his work, then he would be losing royalties. It's pretty simple.
Exactly, and on this point I agree. However, some fan somewhere had to purchase the Gift of Screws tracks from someone in order to spread them around for free and to cut into the profit margin of the greedy ****er that tried selling them for extra steak. This mysterious disc that's being hocked at the moment is no different, and once it gets into the hands of fans, this schmuck won't be able to make two red cents because they'll be available for free to people who want to hear them.

Old 05-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Here's what my law book says, not that I care:
"First Sale Doctrine - In copyright and patent law, the principle that once the owner of a copyrighted material or a patented item sells it, the buyer can treat the object as his or her own and freely sell, lease, or lend the work to another; in copyright law, the first sale doctrine only affects the right of distribution; see also exhaustion theory.
Exhaustion Theory - In trademark and patent law, the extinguishement or exhaustion of a trademark or patent owner's rights once a lawful first sale has been made of trademarked goods or a patented invention; in copyright law the extinguishment of a copyright owner's right to distribute a copyrighted work once a lawful first sale has been made.
So, really, the problem is that Lindsey hasn't gotten a chance to sell these first. But, it's a little late for that. What's my point? That there is nothing on TV right now, really.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -

Last edited by amber; 05-03-2005 at 10:09 PM..
Old 05-03-2005, 11:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Exactly, and on this point I agree. However, some fan somewhere had to purchase the Gift of Screws tracks from someone in order to spread them around for free and to cut into the profit margin of the greedy ****er that tried selling them for extra steak.
I guess that often happens, diss, but it didn't happen for the Screws album. Nothing was bought or sold until the MP3s were slapped onto a CD-R & then auctioned a few months later. No greedy ****ers were involved in the leak -- only people who were infringing on copyright. But certainly if you look at the stuff, say, with Maureen or the reels, the junk had to get purchased first.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-04-2005, 09:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
You make good points, but I'm not sure how he's losing royalties if the material is unreleased. Currently he makes no royalties off of it, correct? Of course, the purchase money is indeed going to the wrong person.

Old 05-04-2005, 11:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
You make good points, but I'm not sure how he's losing royalties if the material is unreleased. Currently he makes no royalties off of it, correct? Of course, the purchase money is indeed going to the wrong person.
In theory, I guess he's losing his first sale rights, and royalties because he hasn't released it, the theory being that since people already have it, they would not buy it if he did release it. Which is probably, for the most part, not true.

Old 05-04-2005, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wish Lindsey would just release something new, that would help solve the problem of fans craving this stuff.
As a fan of nearly 20 years, during that time Lindsey has only released three albums (Tango, OOTC and SYW). I get more new materical from my favourite dead rock stars.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Problem solved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost
I get more new materical from my favourite dead rock stars.
We are gonna have to kill Lindsey so that all his material will be released. Hey, it worked for Tupac.

Old 05-04-2005, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
We are gonna have to kill Lindsey so that all his material will be released. Hey, it worked for Tupac.

We've gone from stealing Lindsey's stuff to killing him!!!
Old 05-04-2005, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost
We've gone from stealing Lindsey's stuff to killing him!!!

It was bound to happen, it's a natural progression...

Old 05-04-2005, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

No doubt Lux will have something negative to say about homocide!
Old 05-04-2005, 12:28 PM
Lux
Old 05-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Ridicule is a great way to get people in the mood for chatting, not at all degrading one's opinion.

By the way, Lindsey doesn't ever have to release anything. It's his work and he can sit on it forever, he can create all these demos, never let us hear them and never make a cent from them. it doesn't make it ok to take and distribute without his permission.
I just said I wished he would release more stuff. Apparently even wanting a new official Lindsey album is wrong now.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:42 PM
Lux
Old 05-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
By the way, Lindsey doesn't ever have to release anything. It's his work and he can sit on it forever, he can create all these demos, never let us hear them and never make a cent from them. it doesn't make it ok to take and distribute without his permission.
I just hope you tossed your copy of Gift of Screws.