Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Ledgie

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I started reading this book last summer and have yet to finish it. I only read it when I'm waiting for the car to be fixed(which is rare) or relaxing in the park(which is rare) or relaxing at the beach(which is rare) or relaxing at all(which is rare).LOL
When I finish it I have been instructed to send it off to tilthefirefades and I promise I will. I just need to finish it first. I have less than 100 pages to go. I just read the part where Lindsey asked Mick Jagger if he wanted to s@#k Tom Petty's d&%k.
It took me a month to read Storms. I usually don't take that long to read a book, but that's what happens when I read 2 books at once.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I read the book in two days. It's an intriguing read. It has received a lot of flack from some fans who consider it a money-grab item with little integrity and a vindictive agenda. But I don't see it that way.

Granted, some of the content may be embelished, but what autobiography isn't? History has a way of being slightly revised by faded memories and personal perspective.

Storms is likely the most candid insight -- into to the personal dynamics of Fleetwood Mac -- that we will ever get. Carol Ann was an outsider who became an insider/witness during a very dramatic, pivitol time in the band. If anything, her story has more objectivity and truth than we could ever expect from a self-penned book from Stevie or Lindsey.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:05 AM
Junior Ledgie

I found Storms to be a fascinating read, and it has certainly made me listen to the Rumours and Tusk albums in a different light. Unfortunately it has also made me view Lindsey in a different light, although I'm trying not to let it ruin his music for me.

http://fleetwood-thon.blogspot.com/

Or read my review of Stevie Nicks' new album:

http://jaysrandom-jay.blogspot.com/2...-nicks-cd.html
Old 08-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I read the book in two days. It's an intriguing read. It has received a lot of flack from some fans who consider it a money-grab item with little integrity and a vindictive agenda. But I don't see it that way.

Granted, some of the content may be embelished, but what autobiography isn't? History has a way of being slightly revised by faded memories and personal perspective.

Storms is likely the most candid insight -- into to the personal dynamics of Fleetwood Mac -- that we will ever get. Carol Ann was an outsider who became an insider/witness during a very dramatic, pivitol time in the band. If anything, her story has more objectivity and truth than we could ever expect from a self-penned book from Stevie or Lindsey.
Well said!
Old 08-16-2011, 06:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay View Post
I found Storms to be a fascinating read, and it has certainly made me listen to the Rumours and Tusk albums in a different light. Unfortunately it has also made me view Lindsey in a different light, although I'm trying not to let it ruin his music for me.
Same for me. He's sorted himself out later in life, and I'll always give anyone credit for that, but I really do think he could be one nasty SOB back then. Stevie was right to walk away from that 'darkness', as she put it.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:50 AM
Senior Ledgie

I read the book recently as well and thought it was captivating. I found myself not wanting to believe a lot of what was written, but was able to suspend my disbelief for the most part. Not sure she has a reason to flat-out lie, per se. Most memoir falls under the "creative non-fiction" spectrum meaning re-creating dialogue is acceptable though not always believable.

That being said, none of it surprised me much. What surprised me most was that I felt real sympathy for CAH. Regardless of what was said or done the woman gave up a good portion of her life for Lindsey and was left with pretty much nothing to show for it. I'm not going to whip out my tiny violin or anything, she had a good run and all, but I do not envy her in those last years she spent with Lindsey.

I'm just glad he seems to have shaped up these days, but I guess we'll never really know.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So, after commenting to redtulip in the other thread, I was just reading the passage and I had to laugh at CAH. Lindsey told her to come over and she got dressed in a pleated skirt and white shirt like a school girl. This drove the men wild.

Lindsey said to her, "Hey, little girl, looks like you're looking for your daddy. I like it Carol. You should wear this stuff more often." [That was pervy].

Mick and Lindsey pretended to fight over her. "Stevie sat silently, apparently not thrilled by my arrival and the happy reception I was receiving."

Quote:
The band members followed Annie meekly into a back bedroom as I made myself comfortable on Lindsey's couch. Knowing the size of his extra bedroom and the number of people and the amount of equipment that had been crammed into it, there was no way I could follow them. I flipped through magazines and listened to the laughter echoing down the hall. In less than an hour the shoot was finished and forty-five minutes after that the house was empty except for Lindsey and me. He pulled me up from the couch and led me into his bedroom. as he showed me the Polaroids that Annie'd left for him, I could see that the cover shot was amazing.
Michele
Old 12-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
So, after commenting to redtulip in the other thread, I was just reading the passage and I had to laugh at CAH. Lindsey told her to come over and she got dressed in a pleated skirt and white shirt like a school girl. This drove the men wild.

Lindsey said to her, "Hey, little girl, looks like you're looking for your daddy. I like it Carol. You should wear this stuff more often." [That was pervy].

Mick and Lindsey pretended to fight over her. "Stevie sat silently, apparently not thrilled by my arrival and the happy reception I was receiving."

Michele

The image of Lindsey being able to switch from Carol to Stevie to Carol is kind of disturbing to me. You know, "oh you're hot as a school girl", then i'm making out with my ex on a photoshoot bed and driving everyone crazy, and then back to you, Carol! Oh well.
The thing i was the most looking forward to when i started the book was to see Carol's reaction after reading the lyrics' to songs like "That's enough for me", or you know, any Lindsey song on Tusk. There is no way she wasn't even a little pissed it was all about Stevie. But no...
Old 12-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless-Child View Post
The thing i was the most looking forward to when i started the book was to see Carol's reaction after reading the lyrics' to songs like "That's enough for me", or you know, any Lindsey song on Tusk. There is no way she wasn't even a little pissed it was all about Stevie. But no...
True, it's a pride thing, like you said. But after the book was out, they did an interview about FM in one of the magazines (the article title was a take off on the movie, Sex, Lies and Video Tape) and she was a lot more honest about SnL than she was in her book.

But very often in these autobiographies, because people are proprietary and don't want to make themselves seem too aggressive or combative, they end up telling more about what they observe than what they feel and their reaction to those feelings. I mean, you might expect it from CAH because she knows that people are more interested than FM than in her own story, but I feel that she may have played more active parts in the FM events that unfolded around her and it would have been interesting if we could read all the details.

Michele
Old 12-30-2012, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
True, it's a pride thing, like you said. But after the book was out, they did an interview about FM in one of the magazines (the article title was a take off on the movie, Sex, Lies and Video Tape) and she was a lot more honest about SnL than she was in her book.

But very often in these autobiographies, because people are proprietary and don't want to make themselves seem too aggressive or combative, they end up telling more about what they observe than what they feel and their reaction to those feelings. I mean, you might expect it from CAH because she knows that people are more interested than FM than in her own story, but I feel that she may have played more active parts in the FM events that unfolded around her and it would have been interesting if we could read all the details.

Michele
Do you know if the article is online anywhere?
Old 12-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
Do you know if the article is online anywhere?
Yes it is. Let me think of search terms.

Michele
Old 12-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is what CAH said in Classic Rock Magazine in the September 2007 issue, title Sex, Lines and Audio Tape:

"The mood in the room would change from light to dark whenever they were together. The sheer tension between them was overwhelming; it literally stopped people in their tracks. They could say the most mean and hurtful things to each other. Not because they meant it, because I don't think they really did, but just because they wanted to cut the other one down. The big thing, though, was that Lindsey still loved Stevie. I know he did. Through all the time he was with me, he never stopped loving her. No matter how insane she made him, I don't think he was over the fact that they weren't a couple anymore. He blamed himself for their break-up, and I think she blamed herself as well. They had that in common, although it was an unspoken bond between them."
Old 12-30-2012, 11:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless-Child View Post
It's been a long time since I read this book but remind me someone, please. Wasn't it the release of the Go Insane record where she read all his lyrics and determined they were all negatively about her and that is when she knew she had to leave him for good?
Old 12-30-2012, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This is what CAH said in Classic Rock Magazine in the September 2007 issue, title Sex, Lines and Audio Tape:

"The mood in the room would change from light to dark whenever they were together. The sheer tension between them was overwhelming; it literally stopped people in their tracks. They could say the most mean and hurtful things to each other. Not because they meant it, because I don't think they really did, but just because they wanted to cut the other one down. The big thing, though, was that Lindsey still loved Stevie. I know he did. Through all the time he was with me, he never stopped loving her. No matter how insane she made him, I don't think he was over the fact that they weren't a couple anymore. He blamed himself for their break-up, and I think she blamed herself as well. They had that in common, although it was an unspoken bond between them."
Thank you Michele, that was interesting!
Old 12-30-2012, 11:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
It's been a long time since I read this book but remind me someone, please. Wasn't it the release of the Go Insane record where she read all his lyrics and determined they were all negatively about her and that is when she knew she had to leave him for good?
She had already left him when Go Insane was released. She came home one day from work to find a copy of the record on her doorstep. She listened to it and was unhappy with how she was portrayed in the songs. They were already broken up, but she may have said she truly knew it was over at that point.