User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I should just be a dittohead (oops, hope that didn't sound intolerant ), and nod my head to the above statements... but I'll add a few thoughts.
No, you should not have been a "dittohead." Everyone should feel free to pick apart or analyze anything I post! Hearing about other people's worldviews, opinions, etc. helps me to form a deeper understanding about the world.

-Justin
Old 11-08-2004, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
True - but clearly you can find good in Christ's life and apply it to your own just as you could Buddah, the Dali Lama, etc. I mean who would not want to help the poor, etc.
That's assuming that I believe Christ existed.

Old 11-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Well, they were fleeing primarily from the Catholics

Seriously, many many Protestant organizations to this day consider the Pope an evil person and the Catholic parishioners mere papicists (sp.?) They look on it as impossible to give your allegiance the Pope and to God because they are not one in the same. The Catholics, of course, have a different take
Catholics believe that the Pope should not be viewed in the same esteem as God (no one should), simply that he acts as a "moral compass."
Someone to look toward for additional guidance when necessary.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Even if he did not - the story in The Gospel (good news) has some good deeds in it.

save the cheerleader - save the world

Last edited by strandinthewind; 11-08-2004 at 05:13 PM..
Old 11-08-2004, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Diss...

Quote:
How do you know anyone before your lifetime existed? I mean, I assume that certain historical figures existed because it was written so. I didn't see/meet them, but people say they existed...it's called faith. I put my faith in people to have told the truth about events that happened before my time.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
True - but clearly you can find good in Christ's life and apply it to your own just as you could Buddah, the Dali Lama, etc. I mean who would not want to help the poor, etc.
I BRIEFLY considered myself Atheist/Agnostic, but I realized that I was letting other people's interpretations of "God" influence my own.
I couldn't believe in "their" God (vengeful, jealous), so I didn't want to believe at all.

Thankfully, I cut through the malarkey.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes Catholics have their own take on the accusation of being papists and idolators...we also get accused of putting the Virgin Mary at the same level as God - or for worshiping Mary - not true..

And I know I'm not a papist...I couldn't honestly care less about the Pope, and honestly the whole vatican thing kind of frightens me - I just go my own way and I take what i want to from the mass etc...

I do know that the Catholic Church has some crazy ass and big problems - but every religion does...I just rise above that and keep my own faith close to my own heart...
Old 11-08-2004, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I don't think it can be disproven that Christ existed.
Now, whether or not he was truly the "Son of God" can be debated, of course... but all evidence points to the man having existed.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Catholics believe that the Pope should not be viewed in the same esteem as God (no one should), simply that he acts as a "moral compass."
Someone to look toward for additional guidance when necessary.
True and I was incorrect for implying such - They think the Pope is God's instrument, etc.

Here is a site with some cool info.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03744a.htm

Old 11-08-2004, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
True and I was incorrect for implying such - They think the Pope is God's instrument, etc.

Here is a site with some cool info.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03744a.htm
ummm no...still not true of all of the Catholics I know personally...

It may be official church teaching...but in my opinion - and many others...the vatican is highly antiquated and yeah....we are a Christian faith and do not worship the Pope, the saints or the Virgin Mary as deities...
Old 11-08-2004, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
ummm no...still not true of all of the Catholics I know personally...

It may be official church teaching...but in my opinion - and many others...the vatican is highly antiquated and yeah....we are a Christian faith and do not worship the Pope, the saints or the Virgin Mary as deities...
I cannot speak for anyone personally. I was citing Church Doctrine that is all.

But, to be a Catholic is to uphold the Church's laws. Or, you are, as I affectionately put it, a Cafeteria Catholic ( http://www.concernedcatholics.org/cafeteria.htm - stinging site - but they have a point - another http://www.catholic.org/prwire/headline.php?ID=1153 ) - I mean people that vote R can say they are against most of W's policies, but they put W back in there

Note: this is not a diatribe against the Catholic Church, which, though imperfect, does countless wonders for countless people all over the world.

Last edited by strandinthewind; 11-08-2004 at 05:20 PM..
Old 11-08-2004, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I do know that the Catholic Church has some crazy ass and big problems - but every religion does...I just rise above that and keep my own faith close to my own heart...
Very nice post, Deanna. I am a Catholic myself and I hear accusations from members of all kinds of organizations and denominations that criticize and insult aspects of my faith. I never force my beliefs on anyone and I try to follow the example of Christ when I can. It really upsets me when I hear "idolater" and "Mary-worshipper." It's all just belligerent invective.

Besides, we have St. Peter and the whole one Church thing on our side.

Shamus
Old 11-08-2004, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Even if he did not - the story in The Bible has some good deeds in it.
I think the Bible presents some EXCELLENT parables. When viewed in certain ways, the stories offer terrific lessons on life and this world.

The trouble, in my opinion, is when every word in the bible is considered to be "the Word of God."
Very little in the bible is straight from God's mouth, so to speak... the rest are the interpretations (which can't help but be influenced by the prevailing viewpoints of that age) of HUMAN and very fallible MEN.

For lack of a better phrase, I prefer my beliefs to come "straight from the horse's mouth"... not from the horse's interpreter.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamHy89
Very nice post, Deanna. I am a Catholic myself and I hear accusations from members of all kinds of organizations and denominations that criticize and insult aspects of my faith. I never force my beliefs on anyone and I try to follow the example of Christ when I can. It really upsets me when I hear "idolater" and "Mary-worshipper." It's all just belligerent invective.

Besides, we have St. Peter and the whole one Church thing on our side.

Shamus
right on....seriously though - sucks that even within different religions there is such hostility ya know? It's not enough that I'm a faithful person? That's why I just decided to do what's right for me and not let others get to me...

Jason -I know you were stating doctrine...but generally (at least where I'm from) there's beginning to be a disconnect with many aspects of official church doctrine and teachings....which I think is GREAT - such an antiquated system as I said earlier...
Old 11-08-2004, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think the Bible presents some EXCELLENT parables. When viewed in certain ways, the stories offer terrific lessons on life and this world.

The trouble, in my opinion, is when every word in the bible is considered to be "the Word of God."
Very little in the bible is straight from God's mouth, so to speak... the rest are the interpretations (which can't help but be influenced by the prevailing viewpoints of that age) of HUMAN and very fallible MEN.

For lack of a better phrase, I prefer my beliefs to come "straight from the horse's mouth"... not from the horse's interpreter.
I agree to a point - where I disagree is if everyone did what they and they alone thought was "right" according to how they feel about God, it would be anarchy. I mean some people believe killing doctors who perform abortions is the "right" thing to do. I know you were not really going that far with that though