Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-10-2005, 08:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliP
Wow, you really do not like her do you?
Is that surprising?

I like her, I just think that she's grown out of that silliness. I'm a Lindsey fan, that shouldn't come as a shock to anyone.

Old 02-10-2005, 11:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
I guess IMO it was just an odd forum for him to make those kind of statements.
Sure, I can see how it seemed that way at the time, but I suppose I just don't really think it was that odd in retrospect. He'd finally gone truly solo and finally had an album out and didn't want to be completely buried under FM again. But he got pressure from all sides to be somewhere he had some misgivings about. He could have been less forward or blunt probably, but since he was being asked about band relations, Mick's book, reunion possibilities, etc., he needed to have it be known that he was really headed somewhere else in his life and career at that point. The band had said they were happier without him after he left, and so I don't think it so bad that he returned the favor. I suspect it was probably quite true for both parties when they said it.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, who said they felt like a 'real band' again once he'd left? I don't think I've ever heard that quote. Was it Mick?
I think it was John. But my memory might be rusty. Mick and Stevie both said similar things as well, so I may be mixing it up.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs down Stupid people

Yeah, when you have jerkheads screaming out "Where's Stevie!?" at your concert, I wouldn't be too thrilled either. I get the idea that Lindsey hasn't had much of an idea that he has fans who are really into HIS music, until, perhaps, the SYW tour. Many Ledgies had a chance to get up front or meet him this tour and let him know we want a solo album and we love his music. I "told" him through a letter and a book I made for him. Joe and Lux told him, Pattie told him, etc.

Perhaps, we started a Ledgie Lindsey solo revolution. Hee!

He's done interview after interview of dumba$$es asking him stupid a$$ questions about things he's talked about till he was blue in the freakin' face. Bleh. He's got people screaming out for GYOW and Stevie at HIS shows. He can't even seem to do a Soundstage without her, so...sheesh. I know she only did a couple of songs, but it would be nice to have been Stevie free...that is, unless he asked her to do it and it wasn't a suggestion. Perhaps, he did.

As a fan, it's uber-frustrating for me to hear about these things. I can't imagine how it feels to him.

Last edited by wondergirl9847; 02-10-2005 at 11:22 AM..
Old 02-10-2005, 11:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
I think it was John. But my memory might be rusty. Mick and Stevie both said similar things as well, so I may be mixing it up.
I remember Christine making the (valid) point that producing "Behind the Mask" was a refreshing change (I'm paraphrasing here) from the older Fleetwood Mac albums because so much of it was tracked live, & months weren't spent on all the picky minutiae.

She was probably ambivalent about all that, however, because I think she really admired the way Lindsey created albums.

Plus, I think all the older members of the band were excited about having two guitarists (& an extra voice) for the live situation. It definitely opens up possibilities after having been a quartet for so long.

In that press conference in question, Lindsey strikes me as nervous & uncomfortable, which in turn makes the others seem as if they were walking on a few eggshells. Had I been Lindsey, I would not want to have participated in such a press conference -- it was, after all, a Fleetwood Mac event & Lindsey was not a member of Fleetwood Mac & was really trying to forge an identity away from that machine. In addition, he was still feeling a little burned by The Book -- apologies may have been made at that point but apparently hadn't totally sunk in.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
I get the idea that Lindsey hasn't had much of an idea that he has fans who are really into HIS music, until, perhaps, the SYW tour.
I think you're right, Christy. In a way, Lindsey seems unaware of the extent of the admiration thousands of people have for his work -- the same boat Christine & even John & Mick are in. I have always said this band (numerous configurations) is just about the least fan-friendly of all the major bands. That's why things like fan clubs are such sad jokes in the context of this band (sad because it's hard to see young fans get bilked generation after generation).

On the other hand, I think Stevie has been the savviest of all of them with regard to fans. What people think of her writing has always been important to her, & she has always taken whatever steps she could to foster such a relationship, & it has certainly rewarded her over the decades -- not just the commercial success but people's devotion to her is unabatedly strong.

Lindsey & Chris, for example, have rarely if ever given any indication that such a relationship with fans is important to them -- or even interesting to them. This sounds harsh, but I think it's true: They have made their own beds over the years. If at this point they're unhappy because they don't know the extent or even the character of the admiration some people have for their work, they really can't blame anyone else -- including Stevie Nicks fans.

But, really, how do we know they're even unhappy about such a situation? They may be just fine with it (Christine seems to be).

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-10-2005, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lightbulb Right

He's taken steps lately to bridge that gap a little bit. Baby steps. He met with fans when they approached him, and I've never heard of him treating a fan badly. He put up that message on January 1st on his website. The SYW tour, with the guitar playing, the autographs, shaking hands, etc. was a step forward.

He's trying in his own way.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I think you're right, Christy. In a way, Lindsey seems unaware of the extent of the admiration thousands of people have for his work -- the same boat Christine & even John & Mick are in. I have always said this band (numerous configurations) is just about the least fan-friendly of all the major bands. That's why things like fan clubs are such sad jokes in the context of this band (sad because it's hard to see young fans get bilked generation after generation).

On the other hand, I think Stevie has been the savviest of all of them with regard to fans. What people think of her writing has always been important to her, & she has always taken whatever steps she could to foster such a relationship, & it has certainly rewarded her over the decades -- not just the commercial success but people's devotion to her is unabatedly strong.

Lindsey & Chris, for example, have rarely if ever given any indication that such a relationship with fans is important to them -- or even interesting to them. This sounds harsh, but I think it's true: They have made their own beds over the years. If at this point they're unhappy because they don't know the extent or even the character of the admiration some people have for their work, they really can't blame anyone else -- including Stevie Nicks fans.

But, really, how do we know they're even unhappy about such a situation? They may be just fine with it (Christine seems to be).

I think a LOT of that comes from having success, THAT kind of success, happen so (relatively) late in life. Bands that have that "fan-friendly" attitude have had the mass adulation since their late teens or early-twenties. (Beatles, Stones, most country artists, etc)
Old 02-10-2005, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I remember Christine making the (valid) point that producing "Behind the Mask" was a refreshing change (I'm paraphrasing here) from the older Fleetwood Mac albums because so much of it was tracked live, & months weren't spent on all the picky minutiae.
Right. I think change of any kind, after having done something one way for a long time, can be refreshing and exciting. And that works both ways - for the band and for Lindsey. From almost all accounts, there was a lot of tension between several bandmembers during the recording of Tango. When one main player takes himself out of that environment, it's undoubtedly going to shift everything, make people reevaluate, and spark a sense of renewal in some way. While some of the comments about Lindsey's leaving being good for the band were probably personal shots at him, I don't it's fair to say all of them were. Many weren't. They were about embracing change and enjoying the new situation. And I don't think Lindsey was a jerk for feeling the same way and saying so about his departure and his sense of renewal without them.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:35 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Here are some random quotes that kind of relate. There are more, but these are some that I have off-hand.

In Conversation Batabak Interview - 1988
MICK: "Quite frankly, I think our audience was more concerned that Fleetwood Mac was still going as a band than being concerned about losing Lindsey Buckingham. And I have to say that's really how it is and it's nice to know that."

Rock Stars with Timothy White - October 31, 1987
Stevie: (about the first rehearsal with Billy and Rick) "The first rehearsal was probably the best rehearsal, amazingly enough. They've all been good, but the first one, it was like I knew instantly that when we step onto the big stage that this is going to be wonderful. The neatest thing about this whole thing is it sounds really great in this small rehearsal room. It sounds like Fleetwood Mac. If you walk outside and listen from the parking lot the first thing you would say is... it's not like you would say, "Ah, I don't hear Lindsey." What you hear is Fleetwood Mac."

Maybe I'm missing something, but these don't seem to imply the band is BETTER OFF without Lindsey, just that they can continue to function well without him. So.... I'm not sure why he would need to get "revenge" for those things at the press conference.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway Woman
Maybe I'm missing something, but these don't seem to imply the band is BETTER OFF without Lindsey, just that they can continue to function well without him. So.... I'm not sure why he would need to get "revenge" for those things at the press conference.
I see those implications. They're essentially saying that his departure made no difference. And Mick's awful book was just vicious towards him.

Old 02-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
I see those implications. They're essentially saying that his departure made no difference. And Mick's awful book was just vicious towards him.
What did he expect them to say? "Lindsey's gone. We blow chunks now. But come to our shows anyway." And Lindsey didn't think twice about saying the same types of things after Christine left. You could even say he went further as he talked about how John could play better without having to worry about Christine.

The anger at Mick was justified, but that wasn't Chris's or John's fault. I guess I just don't see it. Maybe there are harsher quotes out there? Otherwise I don't think it's justified at all.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:14 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
What did he expect them to say? "Lindsey's gone. We blow chunks now. But come to our shows anyway." And Lindsey didn't think twice about saying the same types of things after Christine left. You could even say he went further as he talked about how John could play better without having to worry about Christine..

'Blow chunks', I used to hear that phrase often at Marty's fraternity parties, not so much anymore!

LB said exactly the same types of things after Chris left. of course one has to put a postive spin on it, 'yes we will go on and we are still good' etc but sometimes i guess i felt like LB did go overboard w/ some if his comments. The part about John playing better without Chris around- yeesh. Someone actually asked a question about that comment in John's Q&A, and it was in the last group that went out to him before he decided he wanted to quit. Of the four questions in the group he only answered the 'easy' pet question LOL, i was dying to know his feelings about what LB said.

Quote:
The anger at Mick was justified, but that wasn't Chris's or John's fault. I guess I just don't see it. Maybe there are harsher quotes out there? Otherwise I don't think it's justified at all.
LB was entitled to feel how he felt and or say whatever he wanted about leaving FM...and i suppose he may well have been pissed off at Mick about that book...but i guess I still don't really feel that press conference was the appropriate place for him to vent. ?? It's like he got all heavy and just dragged the mood down a bit. However there are other interview snippets of him and Mick, I think, where he was much more chipper and positive.

-Lis
Old 02-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think this is the quote you are talking about. I feel like such a nerd knowing where all these quotes come from, but here is the exact quote from Christine:

Rock Steady - 1990
Christine: "It sounds like a band playing together. It doesn't sound like lots of little overdubs put on, you know, in excess..at least on top of the drum machine type things. It sounds like Mick has gone out there and played the drums and John went out there and played the bass...it's not sort of constructed."

In all interviews I have ever heard Christine (and John too, but he doesn't talk much) give she has never had but good things to say about Lindsey, whereas, Stevie and Mick would always put their own little jabs in there. After Christine left, I felt the things Lindsey said about Christine were disappointing and somewhat disrespectable. I know he probably did not mean it to sound that way, but that's the impression I got. Even he said that he was more or less glad Christine was gone because of his own selfish reasons. At least he admitted his selfishness, but I thought Christine deserved alot more respect from a man with whom she obviously respected and admired.

"Hearts will break with choices we must
make, so sleep and dream of me."
- LB
Old 02-10-2005, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Is that surprising?

I like her, I just think that she's grown out of that silliness. I'm a Lindsey fan, that shouldn't come as a shock to anyone.

No, that's not surprising. I was just surprised that you would wish her to fall on stage, more or less because of your disapointment with her music (or whatever it is that you don't like about her).

"Hearts will break with choices we must
make, so sleep and dream of me."
- LB
Old 02-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
In all interviews I have ever heard Christine (and John too, but he doesn't talk much) give she has never had but good things to say about Lindsey.

John did too. From an August 1992 interview:

About the box set- "It's a four CD package and should be out for Christmas. What's even more special about this is that Lindsey's back with us, too."

how did LB's involvement come about: "The last show FM did was Christine's farewell concert. Lindsey came on and sat in for a couple numbers and really enjoyed being back on the boards with us lot. I don't think he's played w/ a band since he's left, as he's responsible for almost all the instruments on his solo album. So when this came up it was obviously advantageous to have some new tracks for the anthology and so we approached him and asked if he would be interested. And he said yes."

Interviewer then said LB's a good influence on the band, very creative in a lateral way... : "Oh yes, a genius. But it seems to me that that he needs other people to bounce off, even though he can do it all himself. I haven't heard his album, and I'm sure it will be good, but I know he thrives on bouncing ideas off other people."

Quite complimentary IMO. Really the only thing he said that was maybe a bit below the belt was about Mick LOL: ""I'm not a 'socialite' like Mick Fleetwood. He's on the go every single night, which may or may not account for his upcoming divorce."

-Lis