Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLoki View Post
Me too. I've met all kinds of fun wackos here just like myself
My whackiness exceeds that of all others. 'Tis undeniable.
(Jordan decides to climb out of the hole he's been digging himself the last few posts in this thread...)
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 06-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She will be missed!
Old 06-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Registered

Well, that was a fun read!

I mean...honor killings? Really? Nice.

Miranda is a good kid, and it sucks that she's not allowed to post right now, but if we're hoping her parents are reading and will maybe consider allowing her to come back, then it's perhaps not the best idea to bash them & jump to extreme analogies.

I mean, we're all going "ZOMGWTFBBQ! It's the LEDGE!" because we know we're harmless. But they don't know that, not really - and I am not sure that a lot of what's being said in this thread would do anything to assuage their fears, y'know?

As many have said before, we don't have the full story, and if it were one of my kids posting personally identifying information on the Intarweb, I'd be concerned, too. I lecture the teenage cousins on not doing that constantly.

While I consider the Ledge to definitely be a safe space, it's still open to the public for reading, so anything you put on here can be found via the Google or similar. Miranda wouldn't come to any harm from us, but it's still good practice to be more cautious, even if you're not a teenager anymore.

I will say, however, that I think part of what is making emotions run so high in this thread is the idea that someone has been cut off from interacting with a group of people that understands and shares her same love for this band. We all know what it's like to be surrounded by people that don't get it, but when we come to the Ledge, we know we've got a place where people DO get it.

When you're Miranda's age, you already feel like no one understands you or cares, regardless of your interests, but when that interest happens to be a band who had its heyday in the late 70s, you're even worse off, lol.

So, for that reason and for Miranda's sake, I hope her parents will relent and allow her to come back, whether they have to implement some ground rules for what she's allowed to post or whatever they need to feel better about it without taking something that important to their daughter away completely.

If I could tell them something in hopes of changing their minds, I would say this:

"Miranda is a good kid, so you're obviously doing something right over there, and she's lucky to have parents that care enough to want to keep an eye on what she's doing. She's intelligent, articulate and funny - and the fact that she loves Stevie Nicks like she does is NOT a bad thing. It's just another example of her intelligence. Miranda chose a strong, determined, smart, talented and successful woman that never resorted to prancing around half-naked to get where she wanted to get in life, to be her role model, when she could easily have chosen someone like Lindsay Lohan instead.

If you take the time to check out any posts from other Ledgies that are around Miranda's age, you'll notice a common theme - these are ALL smart kids. They think about what's going on around them. They take the time to formulate a thought-out opinion before they spout it off. And they have great taste in music - music that someone put thought into, music that someone played an actual instrument on, music that made a huge impact on a lot of people over the years. Heck, they even type in complete sentences. I don't know if I have to tell you how rare that is anymore or not.

So instead of thinking Miranda's love for such an old band is a bad thing, try looking at it as a mark in her favor. Because that's what it is. And she's in good company here, because the Ledge is full of people that are just as smart, articulate, funny and thoughtful as she is."

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 06-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^ very well-said.

another thing that was never addressed when someone (sorry, not sure who) posted a link to her post re: her parents being upset about her being antisocial (wow!run-on much? lol) it might not just be the fact they don't her posting on the message forum as much as they want her to get out and do things with people around her. most of us have been guilty of getting more attached to the "internet world" vs. the real world, and it can be much more inviting and accepting (to a point)-especially when you share the same interests like ledgies. i know nothing about miranda, her posting frequency, or her posts, but if her parents were upset about her not being as social, that might play a key factor, as well.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow... there seems to be some judgmental posts about her parents when no-one here really knows the full details.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle2677 View Post
^^ very well-said.

another thing that was never addressed when someone (sorry, not sure who) posted a link to her post re: her parents being upset about her being antisocial (wow!run-on much? lol) it might not just be the fact they don't her posting on the message forum as much as they want her to get out and do things with people around her. most of us have been guilty of getting more attached to the "internet world" vs. the real world, and it can be much more inviting and accepting (to a point)-especially when you share the same interests like ledgies. i know nothing about miranda, her posting frequency, or her posts, but if her parents were upset about her not being as social, that might play a key factor, as well.
I kinda read all this today and I agree with you. You're only seeing part of the story here and quite frankly, we have no clue what the parent's position really is. Hell, I recall being 15 and it's really easy to twist something around to people outside your house to make yourself the victim and your parents the evil doers. Not judging her at all, she is a kid, we all did that stuff!

The easy response for me and most others is to say her parents are overprotective dolts who need to join the 21st century. Me thinks it's a little more than this and that you may be onto something. If parents see their teenage daughter on the internet at all hours, sharing personal information with strangers, being anti-social with those her own age, and only relating to a 62 year old rock star, heck, they may have room to be concerned! Of course, like I said, we only know a small part of the story. Hopefully everything works out for her and her family - I know this much, I do NOT miss being a teenager LOL
Old 06-14-2010, 08:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeAWillow View Post
Guys, let's not let this thread drift from wishing Miranda were able to post to criticizing her parents:

1. Her parents are only trying to do what they think is right for their daughter. If they tracked her posts on the ledge, they would have found pictures of herself, videos of her dance class, details of fights with them, and hints (if not outright statements) about her location. Add that all of that to the fact that she was planning to meet up with ledgies at a show, and you have a recipe for a parental breakdown. Now, do I think the ledge is safe? Yup. I do. I've been here since I was literally exactly Miranda's age-- 14 turning 15 in good old 2004. But do her parents know that yet? Nope, they don't. All they've seen is what literally reads like the script of an Oprah episode called "DANGERS OF THE INTERNET! WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW YOUR DAUGHTER IS SHARING ONLINE!"
ITA. Thank you for being the voice of reason.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Rhiannon View Post
Wow... there seems to be some judgmental posts about her parents when no-one here really knows the full details.
Seriously.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
Seriously.
According to a teenager it's always the parents fault! I know that from mine!
Old 06-17-2010, 01:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Rhiannon View Post
According to a teenager it's always the parents fault! I know that from mine!
Well Pip, your children seemed quite well behaved when I met them last fall.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
Well Pip, your children seemed quite well behaved when I met them last fall.
Thank you David! They have their moments!