User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-05-2005, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
Obviously you weren't around on the FM newsgroup. Nepo was right when he recently visited here. By comparison, this place is fairly dull. About the closest thing I've seen to an all out flame war on here was the Amber-Lux thing a while back, and even then it was lame by comparison.
well you missed the Amber/Irishgrl thing just a few days ago then....which is surprising, because I thot EVERYONE had at least gotten a whiff of THAT little smell...
Old 12-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
I think he's largely right, but I suppose it depends on your standards for a good flame war. Nothing on The Ledge can really approach the level of viciousness that exists on some unmoderated forums.
well, thats interesting because Ive seen some pretty nasty stuff here. some I participated in, and some other folks did.....considering you made a comment about the tone of the *ahem* bat mitzvah thread, I would have thought that you found it borderline?? Oh well, no biggie I guess..
Old 12-05-2005, 06:36 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgrl
well, thats interesting because Ive seen some pretty nasty stuff here. some I participated in, and some other folks did.....considering you made a comment about the tone of the *ahem* bat mitzvah thread, I would have thought that you found it borderline?? Oh well, no biggie I guess..
Nah, you two were still being remotely civil, at least from what I read. Plus, you actually stuck to the issue. It was all just passive-aggressive sarcasm with heavy emoticon usage (but so it goes on a moderated forum where you can't use certain four-letter words and personal attacks are forbidden). A good flame war needs to have lots of mean-spirited cursing and lots of attacking people's basic human dignity. If the phrase "complete f***ing moron" hasn't been used, then it ain't a proper flame war yet.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Nah, you two were still being remotely civil, at least from what I read. Plus, you actually stuck to the issue. It was all just passive-aggressive sarcasm with heavy emoticon usage (but so it goes on a moderated forum where you can't use certain four-letter words and personal attacks are forbidden). A good flame war needs to have lots of mean-spirited cursing and lots of attacking people's basic human dignity. If the phrase "complete f***ing moron" hasn't been used, then it ain't a proper flame war yet.
That sounds fun, indeed, but how does it possibly resolve anything?

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 12-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
That sounds fun, indeed, but how does it possibly resolve anything?
Who said it resolves anything? That's why it's a flame war and not a civil debate.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Who said it resolves anything? That's why it's a flame war and not a civil debate.
Then why do it?

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 12-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Just say what you want to say. If they don't like it, then they should note the mistletoe on your belt around your back pocket.
Steve, you just became my favorite person of the month. Your trophy's being prepared as we speak.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The reason the Ledge has the whole strike system in place and is more heavily moderated is that there was an ongoing 'flame ' type war going on here about 4 years ago ,mostly revolving around a homophobic and misogynistic cybertroll known as the Arizona Ranger.The fracas caused by this creature resulted in this forum (Chit Chat) being closed down for several weeks.While I'll admit there was some entertainment value to be had from arguing with this person ,his homophobia was on a Fred Phelps type level and he was allowed to get away with his nonsense for too long .Now there have been some others that in comparison to AR or1/2 insane IMO maybe should not have been banned ,but I guess these extreme examples of vileness have kind of ruined it for others .

Old 12-05-2005, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The fact that everybody else mentioned Minny Dave by name and said things like "it's obviously [Indy Dave] was talking about..." tells me that even the people who have chastised Indy Dave are being hypocritical. You too were obviously thinking the same thing, otherwise how would you have figured out so quickly who Indy Dave was referring to? I had a list of people, including myself, that I thought he could have been talking about. In other words, get off your high horse already. He just verbalized what YOU too were thinking.
I was amazed that everybody instantly knew who I was referring to, yet chastized me for "dare"ing to mention it. "How dare you!". "We were so nice to you about your dog, and now you dare to post this." Listen, if being nice to me because my dog has cancer means that I give up any freedom of speech, then keep your niceties to yourself, Adolph. I don't want them under that condition.

Quote:
What's especially funny, though, is that it wasn't personal in any way. Nowhere in the post that started the thread was there an assessment of character. Indy Dave was just talking about a behavior that he found annoying. Funnier still is that the perceived "protagonist" and "antagonist" don't have personal issues with each other.
That's what hilarious. David and I are fine with each other. It's everyone else who wants to censor me. My GAWD, I said that I think he posts too much!!!! Jesus, How DARE I? What a terrible thing to say!!! Off with my head!!!
Quote:
It's everybody else who seems to be drawing them into a bigger conflict than what actually exists. It's like two kids not really wanting to fight on a playground, and you people are egging them on. Before you go lecturing Indy Dave on why he should be ashamed of himself, look at your own behavior.
Exactly, but that won't happen. They're far too PC to be wrong.
BTW, DavidMN and I are completely cool with each other.

Steve, get your ass over to Bloomington! Drinks are on me!
Old 12-05-2005, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It doesn't seem like you'll understand this, Homie, cause it's already been said, but....
I think the issue is that you mentioned it out loud, where everyone could read it, but were too pussy to just say the person's name. I think most people agreed that you should have either took it to a PM, ie, not mentioned it out loud at all, or if you had to mention it out loud, you should've been man enough to say the person's name. Heck, you posted the most obvious clue ever (as ReFleetwoodmac pointed out) - at that point, what was your purpose in not saying the persons name? It just seems pussy/fraidy cat/passive aggressive at that point.
Yes, I know no one cares and there are no hard feelings between you two, but you seem not to understand why anyone took issue, so I thought I'd help explain.

Old 12-05-2005, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Most people agree? Since when do I have to answer to a freaking committee, to make a post? If you don't like it, then skip it, or bi*ch incessantly about it. I no longer care what the committee thinks. Believe it or not, I AM a kind person, but if I feel like speaking my mind, I will do so. Committee be damned. Until you sign my paychecks, zip it!
Old 12-05-2005, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
Most people agree? Since when do I have to answer to a freaking committee, to make a post? If you don't like it, then skip it, or bi*ch incessantly about it. I no longer care what the committee thinks. Believe it or not, I AM a kind person, but if I feel like speaking my mind, I will do so. Committee be damned. Until you sign my paychecks, zip it!
Great, I'm glad you don't care, and my point wasn't about people agreeing, my point was about not being a pussy if you are going to say something out loud, or if you are going to be a pussy, maybe don't say it out loud. If you feel like speaking your mind, do it all the way, not the pussy way, etc. Same point if you are a kind person, which I'm sure you are.
You don't have to answer to anything, but just like you wanted to speak your mind, you can't expect others to "zip it" about what you say.
And AGAIN, you can say whatever you want however you want, I was simply pointing out that you did it in the most pussy way possible. In case you did care about being a pussy. But it's fine if you don't, no skin off my nose. Just trying to help you out.

Old 12-05-2005, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Then why do it?
Why do people ever get in fights? Stubbornness and short tempers, mostly.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
You're so brave. We should all follow Homer's example and not be afraid to speak our minds, whether we have a beef with "a certain somebody" or a bone to pick with "you know who."

Last edited by Jyqm; 12-05-2005 at 07:58 PM..
Old 12-05-2005, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Why do people ever get in fights? Stubbornness and short tempers, mostly.
I hate you.

Quote:
You're so brave. We should all follow Homer's example and not be afraid to speak our minds, whether we have a beef with "a certain somebody" or a bone to pick with "you know who."

I love you.

*marry?