Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-10-2006, 05:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B

On The Wrong Side
Shut Us Down
Time Bomb Town
Where are these songs from? I'd like to check them out if possible.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"On The Wrong Side" is from the With Honors soundtrack
"Shut Us Down" is from the Elizabethtown soundtrack
"Time Bomb Town" is from the Back To The Future soundtrack
Old 04-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
"On The Wrong Side" is from the With Honors soundtrack
"Shut Us Down" is from the Elizabethtown soundtrack
"Time Bomb Town" is from the Back To The Future soundtrack
Thanks Chilli
Old 04-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seteca
That "Instrumental Introduction" being played on a headless electric Hohner...(I think?).

I think the original recording was probably played at even less than 1/2 the speed of the final track - you can tell by the artificial way the ringing notes decay and by the fact that the notes you hear are completely out of standard tuning. The latter is the tell-tale sign of an analogue recording being severely speeded up resulting in pitch degradation. (Nowadays you can get away with speeding up recordings by factors of ten and still preserving pretty much perfect pitch if the recording and process are carried out digitally.)

And it's not the only time he's done it either. I won't mention other songs because I don't want to break any hearts but he's done this on A LOT of solos pretty much from the mid-80s onwards (up to and including certain songs on Say You Will.)

As long as the listener enjoys what he/she is hearing, then I guess as an artist it doesn't matter what method you use to achieve that final sound you have in mind, so all credit to him artistically, but I must admit (even as a diehard LB fan) that I find it slightly annoying if someone's technical proficiency as a guitarist is intentionally faked.

I don't think you are going to break anyone' s heart. Part up the appeal of buckingham to me is his studio manipulation. I think it is acknowledged by most that he is not a great techinical guitarist. What has always been appealing to me about Lindsey is his studio craft and how the sum of the parts and his creative ways of getting sounds in the studio add up to something better than the individual parts. I think there is a great deal to be said about somone who has the imagination to make something more out of less...
Old 04-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Run
What has always been appealing to me about Lindsey is his studio craft and how the sum of the parts and his creative ways of getting sounds in the studio add up to something better than the individual parts.
For THAT I'll give him all the props in the world!
Old 04-12-2006, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Run
I don't think you are going to break anyone' s heart. Part up the appeal of buckingham to me is his studio manipulation. I think it is acknowledged by most that he is not a great techinical guitarist. What has always been appealing to me about Lindsey is his studio craft and how the sum of the parts and his creative ways of getting sounds in the studio add up to something better than the individual parts. I think there is a great deal to be said about somone who has the imagination to make something more out of less...
I agree completely, and I as said before, all credit to him as an incredibly talented artist.

However, if I personally saw someone play "Instrumental Introduction to This Is The Time" live exactly as it sounds on the OOTC album, I would definitely label them as a "technically great" guitarist.

It's one of those tracks which obviously boasts technical proficiency (e.g. like Joe Satriani's "Midnight"), so most fans who hear it will say to themselves "Holy ****....he's amazing...!" (i.e. "technically amazing"), and that's what I would personally (as a guitarist) find slightly annoying. Nobody other than LB himself can say for sure why he speeded that track up i.e. was it purely for artistic reasons or did he want to try to put himself across as a better classical guitarist than he is (or both)? And as I said before, I don't really care much either.

Oh, and I wouldn't be able to prove this in a million years, but I would bet a hell of a lot of money that significant chunks of the solo on "Come" were not just speeded up, but played by Neale Heywood. I say this because some of the parts on that solo are completely un-Lindsey-like, and VERY much in the style of Neale Heywood. Check out Neale's lead playing on "This Is The Time (live CenterStage)".
Old 04-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wink Heh.

Perhaps I need to make a poster that says Neale Rules!
Old 04-13-2006, 07:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Oh, and I wouldn't be able to prove this in a million years, but I would bet a hell of a lot of money that significant chunks of the solo on "Come" were not just speeded up, but played by Neale Heywood. I say this because some of the parts on that solo are completely un-Lindsey-like, and VERY much in the style of Neale Heywood. Check out Neale's lead playing on "This Is The Time (live CenterStage)".
I would be a little surprised if Neale played on this. Reason being Fleetwood Mac went out of there way to credit even the most minute session contributions on the album such as Dave Palmer's, any left over bass parts from John Pierce, etc. I don't see them not giving credit to Neale as an additional player, if he did in fact play on the album. He got a songwriting credit, but no playing credit. You may be right, but I think the more likely scenario is Lindsey played the solo and then manipulated it to sound something like what they conceived in the writing process...
Old 04-13-2006, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Lindsey's hearing is diminishing. Say You Will seems to indicate something amiss in the way he hears things.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-13-2006, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I think Lindsey's hearing is diminishing. Say You Will seems to indicate something amiss in the way he hears things.

Probably has something to do with the incessant cries of "Daddy, look, daddy watch me, daddy, look, daddy watch me, daddy look, daddylook, daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy".
Old 04-14-2006, 08:12 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Probably has something to do with the incessant cries of "Daddy, look, daddy watch me, daddy, look, daddy watch me, daddy look, daddylook, daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy".

God help me should this ever occur in my life.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:22 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
The "Come" solo has Lindsey wrote all over it.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBanks147
The "Come" solo has Lindsey wrote all over it.
I would have to say I disagree with "completely written all over it". Some parts, yes, are very much typical Lindsey, but other parts (i.e. the technically harder parts) are like nothing he has ever played.

Ever hear one of your close friends or relatives say something and you just think to yourselves "That's not him/her talking, someone else has said that to him/her and they're just regurgitating it." That's what the "Come" solo sounds like to me. If guitar playing is a form of language, then Lindsey's picked up a very strange accent on that solo.

It was no surprise to me that the solos he played in the live version of the song on the SYW tour sounded absolutely nothing like the solo in the album version (i.e. far less technically proficient and very much in the usual LB style) because I was sure he couldn't play those harder parts.

Again, just want to make it clear that I'm not saying he's any less of a guitar player even if what I said above was the case. In my opinion, the emotion behind a guitar solo, however slow or fast or technical, is what makes someone a good guitarist.

("Music is a form of expression that rings truer than speech..." - LB)
Old 04-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In my opinion, the emotion behind a guitar solo, however slow or fast or technical, is what makes someone a good guitarist.
So thats why you say I'm a good guitarist! (considering I have the technical ability of a lemon)
Old 09-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
I can hear that. But, then I kind of think that Lindsey already HAD his OotC concept finished when Tango came along...just look at his contributions to Tango...he just wrote new songs to replace the ones he used on the Fleetwood Mac album:

Tango replaced by on Cradle

Big Love > Doing What I Can
Family Man > Surrender The Rain
Caroline > This Is The Time
You & I, Part 2 > Soul Drifter
You don't think that "Tango In The Night" became "This Is The Time"? They have the exact same structure. Soft verses, louder chorus, a quiet "pre-solo" and then a loud guitar solo. Or are you comparing them for other reasons, like mood set?

The rest of them I agree with.