User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-08-2006, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickypt
I told myself after the AHI fiasco never to do something like this again.
What happened with AHI? I never really heard the story about that.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
Nah - as much as I love Stevie I'd never pay that much money to go to something like that. There are several reasons. It seems that (and I'm not talking about the majority of the people here ) that a lot of the crazies come out....

And there are a lot of crazies...in fact my first thought upon seeing the private party thing was, "oh that poor woman...does she know what she's getting herself into?"

And I wouldn't want to meet Stevie for a split second while there are bunches of other crazed fans around.

Plus I have this ideal of who/what Stevie is in my head. It's almost guaranteed not to be accurate as it's put together on what she portrays in public -and well, I don't want that image/ideal messed with.

AND with my luck I'd catch her on the ****tiest day of her life and she'd be a complete bear and I'd be crushed. I've already been front-row-hand-shake-snubbed by Stevie twice...I don't need to be snubbed after paying upwards of 300 bucks
Deanna, you read my mind. I agree with this entire post
Old 05-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Amen sistah!!!!!!!

BTW - we looked at some used Fat Boys this weekend - the bike that is!!!!
Thank god you clarified that!
Old 05-08-2006, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
What happened with AHI? I never really heard the story about that.
I've written about it a couple of times. Short version: I paid $1,000 after being guaranteed by the AHI director that Stevie would be signing autographs, there were a bunch of gate-crashers at the party, Stevie signed about 10 autographs and got the hell out of there.

That's why if I go to this Oct. 14th gig, I'm not going to have any expectations other than seeing Stevie in a small-ish venue with other fans. I won't tell myself that I'll be in the front row, or will shake her hand, or will get her autograph or anything.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's why if I go to this Oct. 14th gig, I'm not going to have any expectations other than seeing Stevie in a small-ish venue with other fans.
But shouldn't this really be the only realistic expectation we should have as fans? Not to pick on your or anything (your post just sparked this) but I don't get this, "we're entitled to x or y from Stevie as fans and especially if we're paying good $$$ for it." I mean, Stevie is a musician she is not beholden to anyone. If we enjoy her music, that should really be enough to satisfy us, not getting a lock of her golden hair or a hug or a kiss, or whatever it is that people want. This is kind of a spin-off of what Jyqm was talking about with the commodification aspect of this whole thing. Frankly, it creeps me out. I think it would be cool to see her in a smallish venue in an intimate setting a la the VH-1 Storytellers episode, but I just don't think coercing Stevie to do this by waving a lot of cash in her face will really garner an authentic performance from her. It would be another thing if SHE instigated something like this for her fans, then I would feel a little warmer and fuzzier inside about the whole thing; it would be more special and meaningful. But Stevie for hire doesn't do it for me. That's cool I guess if she agrees to it and does it and everyone has a blast, but it just seems weird, I dunno. And like Deanna said, 300 (or whatever) rabid Stevie fans frothing at the mouth over "touching" Stevie or getting her autograph or taking part in a possible meet and greet with her is really not an attractive imagined visual for me
Old 05-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller
This is kind of a spin-off of what Jyqm was talking about with the commodification aspect of this whole thing. Frankly, it creeps me out.
And imagine how Stevie feels!

Quote:
I think it would be cool to see her in a smallish venue in an intimate setting a la the VH-1 Storytellers episode, but I just don't think coercing Stevie to do this by waving a lot of cash in her face will really garner an authentic performance from her. It would be another thing if SHE instigated something like this for her fans, then I would feel a little warmer and fuzzier inside about the whole thing; it would be more special and meaningful. But Stevie for hire doesn't do it for me. That's cool I guess if she agrees to it and does it and everyone has a blast, but it just seems weird, I dunno.
Yes.

I don't really have anything else to add, just: yes.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
But shouldn't this really be the only realistic expectation we should have as fans? Not to pick on your or anything (your post just sparked this) but I don't get this, "we're entitled to x or y from Stevie as fans and especially if we're paying good $$$ for it." I mean, Stevie is a musician she is not beholden to anyone. If we enjoy her music, that should really be enough to satisfy us, not getting a lock of her golden hair or a hug or a kiss, or whatever it is that people want.
I don't care if I get to touch her, I don't care if I get her autograph, I don't care if I get front row or anything like that. Alls I want is to have a fresh set list with some lively OOMMPH to it.

Her voice as it is today could totally pull off "Crystal" or "Storms" or "Ooh My Love" or "Long Way to Go" or "Love Is" or "Battle of the Dragon" or on and on and on.

That's why I keep getting suckered into all this stuff. I keep hoping she's going to pull out some fresh material. Unfortunately, I usually only get one little morsel each time out.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

Quote:
But shouldn't this really be the only realistic expectation we should have as fans? Not to pick on your or anything (your post just sparked this) but I don't get this, "we're entitled to x or y from Stevie as fans and especially if we're paying good $$$ for it." I mean, Stevie is a musician she is not beholden to anyone. If we enjoy her music, that should really be enough to satisfy us, not getting a lock of her golden hair or a hug or a kiss, or whatever it is that people want. This is kind of a spin-off of what Jyqm was talking about with the commodification aspect of this whole thing. Frankly, it creeps me out. I think it would be cool to see her in a smallish venue in an intimate setting a la the VH-1 Storytellers episode, but I just don't think coercing Stevie to do this by waving a lot of cash in her face will really garner an authentic performance from her. It would be another thing if SHE instigated something like this for her fans, then I would feel a little warmer and fuzzier inside about the whole thing; it would be more special and meaningful. But Stevie for hire doesn't do it for me. That's cool I guess if she agrees to it and does it and everyone has a blast, but it just seems weird, I dunno. And like Deanna said, 300 (or whatever) rabid Stevie fans frothing at the mouth over "touching" Stevie or getting her autograph or taking part in a possible meet and greet with her is really not an attractive imagined visual for me

All good points. I'm sure there will be many who will expect something special at this performance because (1) they are hardcore fans and (2) they paid $350. But all that's been advertised by the promoters is a 90 minute Stevie performance as part of a 6 hour party. So that's all I will expect.

Absolutely, I would love if Stevie instigated something like this and the Stevie for hire thing bugs me. The reality, however, is that Stevie will never instigate something like this, and Stevie is for hire.

So I say to myself, is it worth the money? The answer is yes, if it plays out the way it is described. I don't plan to see Stevie many more times in my life. I'll never see her play a shed again and I will fall over dead if she does a club tour. I'd love to see her once more in a small venue, even if it's another canned greatest-hits performance. And while it might get a little annoying being around a zillion rabid fans, truth is I'd rather be around them than the boring nostalgia-seekers who go to the regular gigs. At least the energy will be fierce, and maybe Stevie will get a good hit off of that.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tower
I don't care if I get to touch her, I don't care if I get her autograph, I don't care if I get front row or anything like that. Alls I want is to have a fresh set list with some lively OOMMPH to it.

Her voice as it is today could totally pull off "Crystal" or "Storms" or "Ooh My Love" or "Long Way to Go" or "Love Is" or "Battle of the Dragon" or on and on and on.

That's why I keep getting suckered into all this stuff. I keep hoping she's going to pull out some fresh material. Unfortunately, I usually only get one little morsel each time out.
exactly how I feel!!!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 05-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tower

Exactly, and maybe that's a good enough reason not to gamble away your $350 + airfare, hotel accommodations, food, merch (if they have it available), etc...

However, I'd hate to believe that Stevie would play a 90 minute set and not throw some rarities in there, that would just be ridiculous! I mean, I guess she could fill up 90 minutes with all of her solo and F.M. hits but damn, that would be evil on her part!

If you do go, be sure to give us a nice, detailed, lengthy review! I'm counting on you for that

Edit: If she does Battle of the Dragon you better get that sucker on videotape!

Last edited by cliffdweller; 05-08-2006 at 04:28 PM..
Old 05-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
All good points. I'm sure there will be many who will expect something special at this performance because (1) they are hardcore fans and (2) they paid $350. But all that's been advertised by the promoters is a 90 minute Stevie performance as part of a 6 hour party. So that's all I will expect.

Absolutely, I would love if Stevie instigated something like this and the Stevie for hire thing bugs me. The reality, however, is that Stevie will never instigate something like this, and Stevie is for hire.

So I say to myself, is it worth the money? The answer is yes, if it plays out the way it is described. I don't plan to see Stevie many more times in my life. I'll never see her play a shed again and I will fall over dead if she does a club tour. I'd love to see her once more in a small venue, even if it's another canned greatest-hits performance. And while it might get a little annoying being around a zillion rabid fans, truth is I'd rather be around them than the boring nostalgia-seekers who go to the regular gigs. At least the energy will be fierce, and maybe Stevie will get a good hit off of that.
No I get it. It's just that the whole thing seems a little cold. I want Stevie to want it not just be paid to be up there singing songs to us in a contrived performance. I know my whole "I want Stevie to instigate it" thing is a long time coming if at all, but that is my ideal situation. And I know ideal situations hardly ever work out, so I guess I'm just musing...
Old 05-08-2006, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I mean, I guess she could fill up 90 minutes with all of her solo and F.M. hits but damn, that would be evil on her part!
No, she won't even do that. She will skip many of her hits like TTM, I Can't Wait, After the Glitter Fades, Nightbird, Leather and Lace, Seven Wonders, and sort-of hits like Everyday, Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind and will instead trot out Enchanted, Fall From Grace, and Rock and Roll.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I want Stevie to want it not just be paid to be up there singing songs to us in a contrived performance.
Believe me, I get where you're coming from. Who knows, though, maybe she'll find a moment of being inspired knowing that she's performing for serious fans.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No, she won't even do that. She will skip many of her hits like TTM, I Can't Wait, After the Glitter Fades, Nightbird, Leather and Lace, Seven Wonders, and sort-of hits like Everyday, Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind and will instead trot out Enchanted, Fall From Grace, and Rock and Roll.

I didn't know Nightbird and After the Glitter Fades were hits . I guess I'm talking about radio hits, I don't remember those songs being radio hits but then again I was only 8 so .
Old 05-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I didn't know Nightbird and After the Glitter Fades were hits . I guess I'm talking about radio hits, I don't remember those songs being radio hits but then again I was only 8 so .
They both hit Top 40, which in those days qualified as a hit (not huge, though).