User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:09 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
Totally. I got a brand new pair of cherry JBLs (L830s) so I'm breaking them in with Rumours, Mirage, and Tango.
SLICK!
Are they not wonderful? I couldn't believe the difference in Mirage!
Oh, and the Green Eyed Monster has been awoken in regards to your JBLs

Enjoy!

Old 07-12-2015, 08:21 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Kirk View Post
SLICK!
Are they not wonderful? I couldn't believe the difference in Mirage!
Oh, and the Green Eyed Monster has been awoken in regards to your JBLs
Mirage sounds really good. Even Tango has a noticeable sparkle. I heard stuff in "Mystified" I never really noticed before.

Yeah, the JBLs were a bit pricier than I wanted... but you can get the cherry finish ones fairly cheap right now because the L830s model are being discontinued.

Last edited by mylittledemon; 07-12-2015 at 08:27 PM..
Old 07-12-2015, 08:32 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
Mirage sounds really good. Even Tango has a noticeable sparkle. I heard stuff in "Mystified" I never really noticed before.

Yeah, the JBLs were a bit pricier than I wanted... but you can get the cherry finish ones fairly cheap right now because the L830s model are being discontinued.
HA! you said Cherry in regard to the finish, I thought you meant Cherry as in Awesome! as in "these JBL's are so Cherry"

Sorry, dating myself a bit.

Glad you are enjoying the HD Tracks!

have a great night

Christian

Old 07-12-2015, 08:40 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I thought you meant Cherry as in Awesome! as in "these JBL's are so Cherry"
Literally and figuratively!
Old 07-13-2015, 01:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
HA! you said Cherry in regard to the finish, I thought you meant Cherry as in Awesome! as in "these JBL's are so Cherry"

Sorry, dating myself a bit.

Glad you are enjoying the HD Tracks!

have a great night

Christian
I'm confused. Are there official HD versions of Mirage and Tango? Available for download? Where?
Old 07-13-2015, 03:55 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I'm confused. Are there official HD versions of Mirage and Tango? Available for download? Where?
http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showpo...8&postcount=43
Old 07-14-2015, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for posting these. Still hope that one day they'll get the official CD release.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It should be noted that neither Mirage or Tango in the Night was remastered. Higher resolution music is just less compressed than other formats, such as MP3. These recordings will appear louder, but the sound quality isn't necessarily better. The cymbal crashes will give you the best indication if a recording was remastered because they will sound much crisper to the ear. Just compare the Mirage and Tango tracks from The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac tracks, which were remastered, with these downloads, and you'll clearly hear the difference. There are lots of articles online about high-resolution audio being a scam and marketing ploy.

Last edited by SpyNote; 07-30-2015 at 03:52 PM..
Old 07-30-2015, 04:53 PM
Ledgie

Hello Daniel,

Actually these HD versions are not less compressed, they are actually Lossless, as in NOT compressed.

These versions are not louder as you suggest but quieter then The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac as it has not been brick walled and horribly clipped like all the tracks on The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac.

The HD tracks also have a much better DR value then The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac versions.

A simple review of the tracks waveform will show this.

The “better remastered” versions on The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac you mention are harsh and far too bright for my tastes, but if that is what you prefer more power to you.

Anyway, personally I do not believe I have been scammed as I find them to be superior to the previously released version in every way, as well as the very first time the original mix to I Know I'm Not Wrong from Tusk seeing its first digital release.

But more importantly Daniel what did you think of the quality on the HD versions?

I can’t believe you would make a judgement on something you have not heard, yes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
It should be noted that neither Mirage or Tango in the Night was remastered. Higher resolution music is just less compressed than other formats, such as MP3. These recordings will appear louder, but the sound quality isn't necessarily better. The cymbal crashes will give you the best indication if a recording was remastered because they will sound much crisper to the ear. Just compare the Mirage and Tango tracks from The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac tracks, which were remastered, with these downloads, and you'll clearly hear the difference. There are lots of articles online about high-resolution audio being a scam and marketing ploy.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hello Daniel,

Actually these HD versions are not less compressed, they are actually Lossless, as in NOT compressed.

These versions are not louder as you suggest but quieter then The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac as it has not been brick walled and horribly clipped like all the tracks on The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac.

The HD tracks also have a much better DR value then The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac versions.

A simple review of the tracks waveform will show this.

The “better remastered” versions on The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac you mention are harsh and far too bright for my tastes, but if that is what you prefer more power to you.

Anyway, personally I do not believe I have been scammed as I find them to be superior to the previously released version in every way, as well as the very first time the original mix to I Know I'm Not Wrong from Tusk seeing its first digital release.

But more importantly Daniel what did you think of the quality on the HD versions?

I can’t believe you would make a judgement on something you have not heard, yes?
Actually, I did buy Mirage out of curiosity and came to my conclusions after listening to it. It is considerably louder than the original CD, which is what I was referring to in my original post. So that's what it sounds like to my ears, the same mix of the original CD, just amplified.

It is my opinion that there is no such thing as a lossless format. The digital format can only mimic the range of analog recordings. So that's why many audiophiles still prefer analog recordings over digital ones.

I am not a fan of the brick wall effect either, so when it used in conjunction with remastering, then it is an unfortunate result. But I still believe remastering is a necessary task for reissues. I think Stevie's Enchanted set is a great example of remastering done reasonably well. Mirage is still in need of remastering because the digital format has not sufficiently translated the high end of the original master recording, and I can still hear that problem on these new "high resolution" reissues.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:55 PM
Ledgie

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the response,

Well I guess it really all is rather subjective, I find a great improvement over the original CD and the awful mastering on the Very Best of disc.

But at the end of the day it is part of the reason I enjoy The Ledge so much, everyone bringing in their own points of view.

I truly hope they do remaster it in the future for CD, I agree it does need work.

anyway, take care and happy listening!

Quote:
Actually, I did buy Mirage out of curiosity and came to my conclusions after listening to it. It is considerably louder than the original CD, which is what I was referring to in my original post. So that's what it sounds like to my ears, the same mix of the original CD, just amplified.

It is my opinion that there is no such thing as a lossless format. The digital format can only mimic the range of analog recordings. So that's why many audiophiles still prefer analog recordings over digital ones.

I am not a fan of the brick wall effect either, so when it used in conjunction with remastering, then it is an unfortunate result. But I still believe remastering is a necessary task for reissues. I think Stevie's Enchanted set is a great example of remastering done reasonably well. Mirage is still in need of remastering because the digital format has not sufficiently translated the high end of the original master recording, and I can still hear that problem on these new "high resolution" reissues.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well I guess it really all is rather subjective, I find a great improvement over the original CD and the awful mastering on the Very Best of disc.
It wasn't awful. The same guys remastered Fleetwood Mac, Rumours, and Tusk, which were all well done. Those same tracks were used for Very Best of.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

can someone kindly explain what is meant by "brick walled"?
Old 07-30-2015, 08:51 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
It wasn't awful. The same guys remastered Fleetwood Mac, Rumours, and Tusk, which were all well done. Those same tracks were used for Very Best of.
I am truly sorry you find my opinions something to laugh at Daniel. It is honestly the way I feel, I think that all the "remastered" versions are far too bright and clipped.

My hearing is very sensitive to that sort of remastering and I have a very difficult time listing to those albums for a long period of time. This is the main reason I have started going back to vinyl or the HD versions.

I can see that respect for one another views is no longer valued at The Ledge, so I will back out of this conversation with you.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:53 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
can someone kindly explain what is meant by "brick walled"?
Hi bombaysaffires,

I think this clip can really explain the Loudness Wars and the brick walling better then I can. It does a good job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9xX...ature=youtu.be

take care