The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-02-2005, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder if we will see any letters of support from Stevie to all those affected by this tragedy.

I think that if she would probably be too emotional to perform on any of the concerts.

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .
Old 09-02-2005, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Unhappy I just don't get it

Why aren't all 50 states coming together to send airplanes, buses, food, water (most important, IMO), clothing, medicine, etc? There are 50 got dang states and they all have bus lines, airlines, etc...there should be planes going in and out of NO and MS 24/7 right now. There should be people filling sand bags or making cement holders to help close those levees, there should be companies who pump water out helping, they could drop water from giant crates from airplanes or helicopters if they are afraid of getting shot. There are also countless countries on our side who have pledged to help "in any way we can." SEND WATER, FOOD, MEDS, MONEY, AIRPLANES, ETC!!!!!

I just do not understand this at all.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

On CBS News, they just showed a photo of a woman in the middle of the garbage-strewn highway on her knees, crying for help. If that doesn't get you, nothing will. I still can't believe that the response to this has been such a travesty. It really makes you lose faith in the good that's supposedly left in this world.

Old 09-02-2005, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickypt
This is what Landrieu had to say after Bush's helicopter tour of New Orleans today:

"The president is starting to grasp the magnitude of the situation," said Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-La.

STARTING TO GRASP????
With all due respect, these politicians are so out of touch with reality that they know nothing about the world that us "civilians" live in. Never before have I been so ashamed to have these people representing us as a country.

Old 09-02-2005, 06:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
Why aren't all 50 states coming together to send airplanes, buses, food, water (most important, IMO), clothing, medicine, etc? There are 50 got dang states and they all have bus lines, airlines, etc...there should be planes going in and out of NO and MS 24/7 right now. There should be people filling sand bags or making cement holders to help close those levees, there should be companies who pump water out helping, they could drop water from giant crates from airplanes or helicopters if they are afraid of getting shot. There are also countless countries on our side who have pledged to help "in any way we can." SEND WATER, FOOD, MEDS, MONEY, AIRPLANES, ETC!!!!!

I just do not understand this at all.
well....I think they kind of are, though probably not on such a huge scale. I think it takes awhile to mobilize things, although the types of businesses you mentioned could be doing a lot more, it seems to me. All I heard last night is that Carnival is contracting for their boats to hold refugees, and Delta is sending planes...
In our area, the first day there were so many volunteers to go there, the "pre volunteer" class filled up right away. But the volunteers have to train in the class for two days before they go. In my estimation, in the next 2 to 3 days, lots and lots more help from the states will reach the cities...Many business and private entities have donated money and supplies - last night I heard 93 million had been donated already. It strikes me right now there is not enough manpower and space to deliver everything that could be delivered, coupled with incompetence - the people that were equipped, and were supposed to respond immediately, ie gov't agencies, dropped the ball severely. But I believe that in the next few days we will see a massive push of manpower and resources going there. You may have read earlier in the thread that they are actually turning away clothing and food, because...the people to distribute it are overwhelmed?? That's all I've heard about that.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 09-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
I still can't believe that the response to this has been such a travesty. It really makes you lose faith in the good that's supposedly left in this world.
that reminds me of something I said here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber
It's a disgrace on a few levels.

One level, is the state that some humans have reduced themselves to. There's nothing more heartbreaking than seeing fellow humans behave in such a despicable manner - I have no words -
The second level - to realize simultaneously that our Gov't is exactly like the thugs who are perpetrating violence in NO. IMO, it's a very similar mentality - it's almost always been our foreign and domestic policy to behave that way.

Which, in turn, is almost a direct cause of our lack of essential resources in this time of need, (our military resources being commited to an extremely expensive war based on....)

And -

- The levees not holding up (Gov't been warned for years - did nothing - though I'm sure there was plenty of Military Spending during that time),

And the socioeconomic conditions (present in America since it's inception - getting rich on slavery) that led to uncontrollable Thuggery - Martial Law level thuggery - in this time when everyone needs to help each other.

Disgrace? Yeah. That's a generous assessment, IMO.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 09-02-2005, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Condi Rice went shopping for shoes on Fifth Avenue yesterday, was approached by someone asking her why she wasn't working on helping the people down South, and security whisked him away. She went to a Broadway show afterwards. What is she doing? Where's Cheney?

Old 09-02-2005, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Condi Rice went shopping for shoes on Fifth Avenue yesterday, was approached by someone asking her why she wasn't working on helping the people down South, and security whisked him away. She went to a Broadway show afterwards. What is she doing? Where's Cheney?
Cheney is in his home state right now, apparently. Finalizing the Halliburton clean up deal??

Old 09-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Cheney is in his home state right now, apparently. Finalizing the Halliburton clean up deal??
That's what I figured, too, that he's been putting together the Halliburton deal.

Old 09-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Where has this been reported?
Old 09-02-2005, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
Where has this been reported?
http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-292600c.html

As South drowns, Rice soaks in N.Y.

Did New Yorkers chase Condoleezza Rice back to Washington yesterday?

Like President Bush, the Secretary of State has been on vacation during the Hurricane Katrina crisis, with Rice enjoying her downtime in New York Wednesday and yesterday. The cabinet member's responsibilities are usually international, but her timing contributed to the "fiddling while Rome burns" impression given by her boss during the disaster, which may have claimed thousands of lives.

On Wednesday night, Secretary Rice was booed by some audience members at "Spamalot!," the Monty Python musical at the Shubert, when the lights went up after the performance.

Yesterday, Rice went shopping at Ferragamo on Fifth Ave. According to the Web site www.Gawker.com, the 50-year-old bought "several thousand dollars' worth of shoes" at the pricey leather-goods boutique.

A fellow shopper shouted, "How dare you shop for shoes while thousands are dying and homeless!" - presumably referring to Louisiana and Mississippi.

The woman expressing her First Amendment rights was promptly removed from the store. A Ferragamo store manager confirmed to us that Rice did shop there yesterday, but refused to answer questions about whether the protester was removed, and whether by his own security or the Secret Service.

At the State Department's daily briefing yesterday morning, before the New York incident, spokesman Sean McCormack responded to a journalist who asked whether Rice was involved with hurricane relief efforts by saying, "She's in contact with the department as appropriate." He made no mention that his boss had any plans to leave New York.

But yesterday afternoon, Rice had done just that. Department spokeswoman Joanne Moore told us: "The secretary is back in Washington, and she is being briefed on the situation." Moore did not know whether Condi had planned a longer stay here.

Old 09-02-2005, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Condi Rice went shopping for shoes on Fifth Avenue yesterday, was approached by someone asking her why she wasn't working on helping the people down South, and security whisked him away. What is she doing? Where's Cheney?

She even had time to see "SPAMALOT" on Broadway and play a bit of tennis with Monica Seles!
Old 09-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber

I assumed he was in a bunker somewhere. You're right, he'll probably emerge long enough to make a little money before he goes back into hiding.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfanken
I assumed he was in a bunker somewhere. You're right, he'll probably emerge long enough to make a little money before he goes back into hiding.
yeah, my political guy told me he was there.

Old 09-02-2005, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfanken
Rice, Bush, and Shrub are already making plenty of cash from this, don't you worry. They're making millions.