Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-31-2005, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1998
AWWWW don't get mad at me!

I'm only 27........

I feel 47, though.
You've been through alot. . At 34 I feel younger than I did at 27 because I went through a lot of crap back then. The thirties are really cool. Except that 40 is looming large.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
Can we let this go?
Not really.

Quote:
Thanks Jason. We are new at this, maybe deleting the thread was a bit extreme. However, the concern is with baiting and not so much the content of that site. Clearly everyone's gotten their opinions out and we know where everyone stands.
The Indigo Girls Official Site BBS was once a thriving, living, breathing thing with all different kinds of people and all different kinds of discussions. Things around there were almost self-moderated. A new moderator took over and started deleting threads. Pretty soon it led to people being banned, for various reasons. Soon there were direct complaints to the artists' management about how much fan support the band was losing because of the board moderation. Over there, there was a lot of grass roots "street team" support of the IG's concerts, releases and appearances- large groups of fans would literally follow them along for long stretches of their tours.

Because of the moderation of that board, the majority of the core supporters left. The artists intervened and altered things a bit, but it was too late. The board was poisoned and it died. There's only little bits and scraps there now- a burnt-out shell of its former self.

Deleting threads and posts that border on censorship (in my opinion) are not a good harbinger for the life of any forum. We are all grown up enough around here (even the Ledgies under 18 are wise enough as far as I'm concerned) to handle "baiting" or "flaming" or whatever you want to call it. There have been many instances in the past where I have seen certain people go too far and, for the most part, those affected have weathered through it. I'd rather have the forum be too challenging then not challenging at all.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
gldstwmn has already stated in another thread that we will get no more explanation from her.
Um . . . what did I miss here?

The "Reader's Digest" version, please . . .

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .
Old 08-31-2005, 09:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

o.k..will someone please explain to me what is going on?? dumb newbie here..need filling in..

btw...brwn-eyes0511-please don't go-who else am I going to discuss buffy and angel with?!!
Old 08-31-2005, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
Are you serious? I assure you that he was joking and no one means to hurt your feelings.
No, I'm not serious (but I am sensitive!) I was just joking, too
Old 08-31-2005, 10:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind

your joking right?
Of course.....
Old 08-31-2005, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1769
Maybe new to moderating, but not new to the board.

Chris has been on the Ledge for years. She's an intelligent woman. She feels strongly on certain issues just as others feel stongly in their beliefs. If you frequent the ledge it doesn't take long to know how to rub certain members the wrong way.

That being said, I would hope when someone takes on the responsibility of being a moderator, they would be fair to both sides. I also feel that the explanation given as to why threads being deleted was snarky and baiting.
You raise a good point Lisa. The reason that I cannot do that is because as mods, there are some things that we are bound to discuss in private. I've said as much as I can say and would appreciate everyone letting this go. It is nothing personal against any one of you.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tower
Not really.

The Indigo Girls Official Site BBS was once a thriving, living, breathing thing with all different kinds of people and all different kinds of discussions. Things around there were almost self-moderated. A new moderator took over and started deleting threads. Pretty soon it led to people being banned, for various reasons. Soon there were direct complaints to the artists' management about how much fan support the band was losing because of the board moderation. Over there, there was a lot of grass roots "street team" support of the IG's concerts, releases and appearances- large groups of fans would literally follow them along for long stretches of their tours.

Because of the moderation of that board, the majority of the core supporters left. The artists intervened and altered things a bit, but it was too late. The board was poisoned and it died. There's only little bits and scraps there now- a burnt-out shell of its former self.

Deleting threads and posts that border on censorship (in my opinion) are not a good harbinger for the life of any forum. We are all grown up enough around here (even the Ledgies under 18 are wise enough as far as I'm concerned) to handle "baiting" or "flaming" or whatever you want to call it. There have been many instances in the past where I have seen certain people go too far and, for the most part, those affected have weathered through it. I'd rather have the forum be too challenging then not challenging at all.
Thanks Tower. I value and respect your opinion. I can assure that I will most certainly take it into consideration in the future.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
You raise a good point Lisa. The reason that I cannot do that is because as mods, there are some things that we are bound to discuss in private. I've said as much as I can say and would appreciate everyone letting this go. It is nothing personal against any one of you.
That's better.. Sometimes we just need a little more to go on.
I'm done now.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
BTW I seem to remember a recent post which linked to an extremely liberal blog... strange that nothing was done there.
Blogs are fine. If you scroll down the full page of that particular link, you will see that it is in fact a message board, which is prohibited by The Ledge.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Blogs are fine. If you scroll down the full page of that particular link, you will see that it is in fact a message board, which is prohibited by The Ledge.
OK, this explanation makes sense. Thank you. I am glad it was not about whether it was "reliable" or not. I appreciate you taking the time to clarify your decision making process.

Old 08-31-2005, 10:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
I've just seen threads far more offensive than Brandon's not deleted. Remember Rose.Gypsy's thread? It was "intentional baiting" against liberals, and it stayed. Hell, even HighPriestess's trash stayed.
I'm sorry Krista. I wasn't moderating then, so I can't respond to that.
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation Chris
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm sorry Krista. I wasn't moderating then, so I can't respond to that.
It's okay, Chris. I guess I should refer to the FAQ to see what is exactly considered delete-worthy.