The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Ledgie's Pick the President (June 16' Edition)
Businessman Donald J. Trump (R) 7 22.58%
Secretary Hillary Rodham Clinton (D) 19 61.29%
Governor Gary Johnson (L) 1 3.23%
Dr. Jill Stein (G) 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 10:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
I agree with this one.

Theft is punishable by amputation of the right hand (above).

I'll add to it .If they do if they do it again.Cut the left one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Oh, that's so very civilized. What a lovely society you'd like to live in.
So very 'Christian'.

Quote:
No .I'm just using it as example .
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
I think you misunderstood... Amputation is the Islamic punishment for theft...
Well, if I've misunderstood then I'm very sorry. It appears to me as if Macfanforever (who normally comes across as a very sweet and mild-mannered person) is agreeing with the practice of amputation as a form of punishment which I find totally abhorrent. I sincerely apologise if that is not what you meant.

'I agree with this one'

As far as Islamic beliefs are concerned- please don't be thinking all Muslims agree with all the Sharia listed above- they don't. You are particularly referring to Wahabi Muslims that govern hard-line countries like Saudi Arabia. Only a tiny proportion of all Muslims in the world have the same beliefs as the hard-line Wahabi. Certainly the vast majority of the repressed people of Saudi Arabia would not agree with these hard line laws. Though I do not agree with the concept of a Sharia state (when you go to another country you abide by their laws) actually many of the Sharia rules make quite a lot of sense and most fall into line with general western beliefs- you've picked out a small number of extreme rules from many.

I must emphasis the vast majority of Muslim people are peaceful people.
The vast majority are moderate and put love, compassion and forgiveness before retribution.

Hard line Muslims that believe in amputation, women not driving cars, women not working, death as a sentence for apostasy etc are the Muslim equivalent of Westboro Baptist Church. I don't put all Christians in the same club as the Westboro's and other hardliners. Muslim people, the world over are constantly sickened, shocked and embarrassed by these sorts of events. Omar Mateen is not representative of the majority of Muslim people. Omar Mateen was a homophobic lunatic who happened to be Muslim and had free access to a machine gun.

If you are getting your understanding of Islam from wikipedia then you are extremely ignorant. Perhaps you should try speaking to some.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Well, if I've misunderstood then I'm very sorry. It appears to me as if Macfanforever (who normally comes across as a very sweet and mild-mannered person) is agreeing with the practice of amputation as a form of punishment which I find totally abhorrent. I sincerely apologise if that is not what you meant.

'I agree with this one'

As far as Islamic beliefs are concerned- please don't be thinking all Muslims agree with all the Sharia listed above- they don't. You are particularly referring to Wahabi Muslims that govern hard-line countries like Saudi Arabia. Only a tiny proportion of all Muslims in the world have the same beliefs as the hard-line Wahabi. Certainly the vast majority of the repressed people of Saudi Arabia would not agree with these hard line laws. Though I do not agree with the concept of a Sharia state (when you go to another country you abide by their laws) actually many of the Sharia rules make quite a lot of sense and most fall into line with general western beliefs- you've picked out a small number of extreme rules from many.

I must emphasis the vast majority of Muslim people are peaceful people.
The vast majority are moderate and put love, compassion and forgiveness before retribution.

Hard line Muslims that believe in amputation, women not driving cars, women not working, death as a sentence for apostasy etc are the Muslim equivalent of Westboro Baptist Church. I don't put all Christians in the same club as the Westboro's and other hardliners. Muslim people, the world over are constantly sickened, shocked and embarrassed by these sorts of events. Omar Mateen is not representative of the majority of Muslim people. Omar Mateen was a homophobic lunatic who happened to be Muslim and had free access to a machine gun.

If you are getting your understanding of Islam from wikipedia then you are extremely ignorant. Perhaps you should try speaking to some.

I agree that all Muslims are not to be blamed but we can not let the radicalized ones get a foothold in our country...

The FBI is now saying the shooter was in all probability radicalized...

Old 06-13-2016, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree that all Muslims are not to be blamed but we can not let the radicalized ones get a foothold in our country...
'DON'T LET THEM IN, DON'T LET THEM IN!!!!'

You have over 3 million Muslims living in America already. This guy was born and bred in America. Had he ever even left the USA to visit the Middle East or Afghanistan, ever in his life???
You can't stop Muslims from being in America (are you going to deport 3 million innocent people?). Even if you stop more visiting (which is probably impossible anyway) there are plenty already there that could easily carry out acts of terror. All it needs is for the next deranged idiot to pick up his gun. This oddball didn't just pick on Americans- he didn't go to the nearest shopping mall or high school. He chose to pick on the gay community because he was a nutcase with a thing about two men kissing. He could have quite easily been a Christian nutcase or one from any other religion (or no religion) that hated gay people. I do think all Muslim communities around the world need to do more to help tackle this issue.

Of course, if he wasn't able to get that sort of weapon...
133 mass shootings in the US in 2016, I believe.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The live feed is gone but here is the you-tube video and link for the transcript...

Last edited by BlueDenimLamp; 06-13-2016 at 04:06 PM..
Old 06-13-2016, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

The live feed is gone but here is the link for the transcript...

Thanks .I'm going to watch the video later.Is this the speech.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 06-13-2016, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks .I'm going to watch the video later.Is this the speech.

Here it is...

It's on you tube now...
The speech starts a little after the 11:00 minute mark...
Old 06-13-2016, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There is a problem with self-righteously angry people who blame groups of 'others'... and you want to address this by putting a self-righteously angry person who blames groups of 'others' into power? I really don't think you will get the fixes and changes you are wanting that way.

Here, these quotes sound like something that comes from a member of the Taliban...

“I think that putting a wife to work is a very dangerous thing,”

"I don't want to sound too much like a chauvinist—but when I come home and dinner's not ready, I'll go through the roof, okay?"

But... guess who said them? Are you going to tell me more about how someone is worse? So I should like somebody almost as bad to 'deal' with them?

If you are willingly limiting yourself to sources of information that provide only half the info, half the truth you are submitting to sheer propaganda. I would never bother with Glenn Beck, Pat Robertson or Rush Limbaugh any more than I would listen to Michael Moore, their whole career and catalog of products are based on half-truths and getting people outraged and reactionary. This is supposed to be the information age too.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:05 PM
Registered

I am watching All in the family from 1971 based on the British show Til Death Do Us Part nothing has changed since then or at least very little like gay marriage things have gotten so much worse it's frightening
Old 06-13-2016, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
I am watching All in the family from 1971 based on the British show Til Death Do Us Part nothing has changed since then or at least very little like gay marriage things have gotten so much worse it's frightening
No change today with hate since 45 years ago when the show first premiered.Its got worse.Archie did not like anybody.I remember the show about the guns.

Last edited by Macfanforever; 06-13-2016 at 10:05 PM..
Old 06-13-2016, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=BlueDenimLamp;1185995]Here it is...

It's on you tube now...
The speech starts a little after the 11:00 minute mark...[/QUOTE

Thanks for finding it.Wow.Great speech.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

It's on you tube now...
The speech starts a little after the 11:00 minute mark...
This is awful, just the same old sh*tty propaganda. The US and the World will not be better off with Donald Trump in Power
Old 06-14-2016, 06:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation "Glorified version of a pellet gun"

"An AR-15 is the civilian variant of the military M-16 rifle. It is one of the most popular weapons in the United States and can be customized with a variety of accessories including different grips and sights. A standard magazine for it carries about 30 bullets."

http://injo.com/2016/06/627943-heres...and-the-ar-15/

The AR-15 is being dubbed the “weapon of choice” for mass shooters. And the act of terrorism in Orlando has renewed calls for an “assault weapons” ban.

But by any definition of the term, the AR-15 is not an assault rifle.

What constitutes an assault rifle?

An assault rifle needs to hit the mark on three different characteristics.

1. An assault rifle has selective fire.

That means that the user can toggle between at least two settings, semiautomatic and automatic.

The AR-15 is a gas powered semiautomatic rifle, meaning one pull of the trigger corresponds to only one round being fired.

In contrast, the M16 and sometimes the M4, which are the United States military’s small arms rifle of choice, do fire automatically. The M16 and M4 also allow a three-round burst option, which is also not possible on an AR-15.

2. An assault rifle fires an intermediate cartridge.

An intermediate cartridge is less powerful than standard full power battle rifle cartridges, but is still more powerful than the common pistol cartridges. The 5.56 NATO round, used in the M16, is an intermediate cartridge. So is the .223, used in the AR-15.

3. An assault rifle will have a detachable magazine.

The AR-15, like the M16 and the M4, have detachable magazines.

But virtually every modern firearm uses detachable magazines.
Cosmetics.

The AR-15 looks very similar to the M16, which is an actual assault rifle. They are both heavily customizable and have many of the same features.

An AR-15 owner can tack on scopes, muzzle brakes, and spiffy slings. The user can interchange lowers and swap out magazines as well. The AR-15 and the M16 look very similar.

But their functionality could not be more different.

Some misconceptions about the AR-15.

The AR-15 is not that powerful when compared to common hunting rifles. A .223 round is often too small to take down large game like deer and elk.

In many cases, the .223 is prohibited for hunting certain game. Because of its lack of power, it might not fully kill the animal, leading to suffering.

For instance, in the state of Washington, all big game — with the exception of cougar — can only be hunted with a minimum of .24 caliber (6mm) centerfire rifle.

Rather, hunters opt instead for more powerful rounds such as a .30-30 or a .308.

In addition to overestimating its power, inexperienced gun critics often cite the AR-15’s ability to rapid fire.

In the wake of the Orlando attack, Florida Congressman Alan Grayson, a Democrat, told CNN’s Erin Burnett:

“If [Matteen] was not able to buy a weapon that shoots off 700 rounds in a minute, a lot of those people would still be alive. That’s exactly right. If somebody like him had nothing worse to deal with than a Glock pistol…he might have killed three or four people and not 50. It’s way too easy to kill people in America today and we have to think long and hard about what to do about that.”

What Grayson said on national television was false. The AR-15 cannot fire 700 rounds per minute. Such an action would be a physical impossibility.

And while Grayson said “a Glock pistol” can only target “three or four people,” the standard magazine for a Glock 19 holds 15 rounds.

But Burnett didn’t challenge Grayson, instead she told him, “You’re right about that. Thank you very much.”

Another misconception is that the “AR” in AR-15 is an abbreviation for “assault rifle.” It does not. The “AR” is an abbreviation for “ArmaLite Rifle,” after the company that designed the firearm.

So while gun control supporters rally their cohorts to bring about an assault rifle ban, the AR-15 is not an assault rifle. It just looks like one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I stand behind you in line at the store with a smile on my face...and a gun under my shirt and you are none the wiser, yet you are safer for having me next to you. I won't shoot you. My gun won't pull it's own trigger. It is securely holstered with the trigger covered. It can't just go off. However, rest assured that if a lunatic walks into the grocery store and pulls out a rifle, I will draw my pistol and protect myself and my family and therefore protect you and your family. I may get shot before I can pull the trigger...but, I won't die in a helpless blubbering heap on the floor begging for my life or my child's life. No, if I die it will be in a pile of spent shell casings. I won't be that victim. I choose not to be. As for you, I don't ask you to carry a gun. If you are not comfortable, then please don't. But I would like to keep my right to choose to not be a helpless victim. There is evil in the world and if evil has a gun, I want one too... "

The above was posted by a friend on fb...she happens to have worked/works in law enforcement and worked (previously) with the mentally ill...

And she is a lesbian!

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 06-14-2016, 10:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
This is awful, just the same old sh*tty propaganda. The US and the World will not be better off with Donald Trump in Power
I'm sorry .I disagree with you.Get the facts .I rather see him or others that are running in the 3rd party then you know who which will turn whats left of this country into a 3rd world country with NWO in place to make SJW's with open borders and let these sick numb nuts come in and kill all of us.That person cant be trusted.I'm sorry.

Last edited by Macfanforever; 06-14-2016 at 11:01 AM..
Old 06-14-2016, 11:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post
"An AR-15 is the civilian variant of the military M-16 rifle. It is one of the most popular weapons in the United States and can be customized with a variety of accessories including different grips and sights. A standard magazine for it carries about 30 bullets."

http://injo.com/2016/06/627943-heres...and-the-ar-15/

The AR-15 is being dubbed the “weapon of choice” for mass shooters. And the act of terrorism in Orlando has renewed calls for an “assault weapons” ban.

But by any definition of the term, the AR-15 is not an assault rifle.

What constitutes an assault rifle?

An assault rifle needs to hit the mark on three different characteristics.

1. An assault rifle has selective fire.

That means that the user can toggle between at least two settings, semiautomatic and automatic.

The AR-15 is a gas powered semiautomatic rifle, meaning one pull of the trigger corresponds to only one round being fired.

In contrast, the M16 and sometimes the M4, which are the United States military’s small arms rifle of choice, do fire automatically. The M16 and M4 also allow a three-round burst option, which is also not possible on an AR-15.

2. An assault rifle fires an intermediate cartridge.

An intermediate cartridge is less powerful than standard full power battle rifle cartridges, but is still more powerful than the common pistol cartridges. The 5.56 NATO round, used in the M16, is an intermediate cartridge. So is the .223, used in the AR-15.

3. An assault rifle will have a detachable magazine.

The AR-15, like the M16 and the M4, have detachable magazines.

But virtually every modern firearm uses detachable magazines.
Cosmetics.

The AR-15 looks very similar to the M16, which is an actual assault rifle. They are both heavily customizable and have many of the same features.

An AR-15 owner can tack on scopes, muzzle brakes, and spiffy slings. The user can interchange lowers and swap out magazines as well. The AR-15 and the M16 look very similar.

But their functionality could not be more different.

Some misconceptions about the AR-15.

The AR-15 is not that powerful when compared to common hunting rifles. A .223 round is often too small to take down large game like deer and elk.

In many cases, the .223 is prohibited for hunting certain game. Because of its lack of power, it might not fully kill the animal, leading to suffering.

For instance, in the state of Washington, all big game — with the exception of cougar — can only be hunted with a minimum of .24 caliber (6mm) centerfire rifle.

Rather, hunters opt instead for more powerful rounds such as a .30-30 or a .308.

In addition to overestimating its power, inexperienced gun critics often cite the AR-15’s ability to rapid fire.

In the wake of the Orlando attack, Florida Congressman Alan Grayson, a Democrat, told CNN’s Erin Burnett:

“If [Matteen] was not able to buy a weapon that shoots off 700 rounds in a minute, a lot of those people would still be alive. That’s exactly right. If somebody like him had nothing worse to deal with than a Glock pistol…he might have killed three or four people and not 50. It’s way too easy to kill people in America today and we have to think long and hard about what to do about that.”

What Grayson said on national television was false. The AR-15 cannot fire 700 rounds per minute. Such an action would be a physical impossibility.

And while Grayson said “a Glock pistol” can only target “three or four people,” the standard magazine for a Glock 19 holds 15 rounds.

But Burnett didn’t challenge Grayson, instead she told him, “You’re right about that. Thank you very much.”

Another misconception is that the “AR” in AR-15 is an abbreviation for “assault rifle.” It does not. The “AR” is an abbreviation for “ArmaLite Rifle,” after the company that designed the firearm.

So while gun control supporters rally their cohorts to bring about an assault rifle ban, the AR-15 is not an assault rifle. It just looks like one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I stand behind you in line at the store with a smile on my face...and a gun under my shirt and you are none the wiser, yet you are safer for having me next to you. I won't shoot you. My gun won't pull it's own trigger. It is securely holstered with the trigger covered. It can't just go off. However, rest assured that if a lunatic walks into the grocery store and pulls out a rifle, I will draw my pistol and protect myself and my family and therefore protect you and your family. I may get shot before I can pull the trigger...but, I won't die in a helpless blubbering heap on the floor begging for my life or my child's life. No, if I die it will be in a pile of spent shell casings. I won't be that victim. I choose not to be. As for you, I don't ask you to carry a gun. If you are not comfortable, then please don't. But I would like to keep my right to choose to not be a helpless victim. There is evil in the world and if evil has a gun, I want one too... "

The above was posted by a friend on fb...she happens to have worked/works in law enforcement and worked (previously) with the mentally ill...

And she is a lesbian!
Nice read .Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No change today with hate since 45 years ago when the show first premiered.Its got worse.Archie did not like anybody.I remember the show about the guns.

Some people say that Archie Bunker could be Mr Trump's running mate.LOL......................

Closed Thread