The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-21-2005, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm with Sprint, and I love it. My mom and I share an account. Our bill runs around $115 a month. We split the bill. We have free nights starting at 7pm, free weekends, free Sprint-to-Sprint calling, free roaming, free long distance, 700 shared minutes a month, and just $5 extra for every 100 minutes we go over. I have an internet package on mine. I can text (but I don't often) unlimited, and take and send pictures unlimited. I can't complain. And my service is excellent. However, I paid around $200 for my new phone when my first sprint phone took a ****. But, I bought a real nice one this time.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit
Thanks for the detailed answer. So I know I'm understanding you, would you please explain "extended service" vs. "roaming?"
i don't know the technical difference, but in my experience my phone shows 'extended network' when it's really trying to get service. these times would be when i'm doing laundry in the middle of my concrete and steel apartment building, kayaking in the middle of tampa bay, and sitting in a mud field in tennessee.

actual 'roaming' - i believe - is when your carrier has to utilize a different carrier's system? i may be waaaay off on that. the point it, i have taken my phone everywhere and only 'roamed' once. and even then i could talk, i just would have been charged some ridiculous fee for using the roam service.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1998
I'm with Sprint, and I love it. My mom and I share an account. Our bill runs around $115 a month. We split the bill. We have free nights starting at 7pm, free weekends, free Sprint-to-Sprint calling, free roaming, free long distance, 700 shared minutes a month, and just $5 extra for every 100 minutes we go over. I have an internet package on mine. I can text (but I don't often) unlimited, and take and send pictures unlimited. I can't complain. And my service is excellent. However, I paid around $200 for my new phone when my first sprint phone took a ****. But, I bought a real nice one this time.
I know, I'm hoping I decide on Verizon if for no other reason than that today the Cingular store had better displays. I couldn't take my eyes off the $400 one with all the cool buttons. Believe me, they see me coming.

- Jake
Old 07-21-2005, 11:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxmx
i don't know the technical difference, but in my experience my phone shows 'extended network' when it's really trying to get service. these times would be when i'm doing laundry in the middle of my concrete and steel apartment building, kayaking in the middle of tampa bay, and sitting in a mud field in tennessee.

actual 'roaming' - i believe - is when your carrier has to utilize a different carrier's system? i may be waaaay off on that. the point it, i have taken my phone everywhere and only 'roamed' once. and even then i could talk, i just would have been charged some ridiculous fee for using the roam service.
The roaming thing didn't appear to be an issue when I looked around today, but I'd love to see the pics of & hear the reasons why you're sitting in a mud field.

- Jake
Old 07-23-2005, 01:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Another plug for Cingular: They will give you a free phone upgrade every couple of years if you stick w/ them...I have a Motorola camera phone w/ a zoom (no flash). It has all kinds of bells and whistles I haven't figured out yet...you may get a better deal on the phone itself if you go online - seems they have better offers than the actual stores...

As for my plan - I pay $50/month for tons of minutes, free nights/weekends, free long distance. I thought I'd have to pay roaming charges, but so far, everywhere I've used it has had Cingular service available. Cingular is the only carrier that lets you rollover your unused minutes. But I don't use it much anyway and never go over my minutes- usually frequent, short calls...I don't have a headset and the phone is so skinny that I can't hold it w/ my shoulder. However, it does have a speakerphone.

All the FM and Stevie ringtones I've heard are cheesy....so I've got Brick House, the real song, not that beepy-beep crap.

Good luck!
Old 07-23-2005, 01:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the help, folks. I went with Verizon tonight. I have a new model from Motorola that includes short video. I am learning how to use the different parts as I type this. Luddite no longer. Hello, 21st Century. (Be good to me.)

- Jake
Old 07-23-2005, 01:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation I use...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia
Another plug for Cingular: They will give you a free phone upgrade every couple of years if you stick w/ them...I have a Motorola camera phone w/ a zoom (no flash). It has all kinds of bells and whistles I haven't figured out yet...you may get a better deal on the phone itself if you go online - seems they have better offers than the actual stores...

As for my plan - I pay $50/month for tons of minutes, free nights/weekends, free long distance. I thought I'd have to pay roaming charges, but so far, everywhere I've used it has had Cingular service available. Cingular is the only carrier that lets you rollover your unused minutes. But I don't use it much anyway and never go over my minutes- usually frequent, short calls...I don't have a headset and the phone is so skinny that I can't hold it w/ my shoulder. However, it does have a speakerphone.
Dobson Cellular as my carrier, And they also upgrade your phone free every 2 years...I like my Nokia phone mainly cause ya can upload all kinds of **** to it & of course I am addicted to playing the color java games.

I enjoy 'em, We have unlimited minutes on both Deb & my phones...And roaming/long distance is basically non-existant on our service, Not bad for about $80 a month (I am on the phone with older sis Lesa/older brother Geary daily...Will be even more hectic now that we have started what will be the beginning of a major medical malpractice/negligence lawsuit filed in the name of my Mother after the way MRMC Fubar'd her.)
Old 07-23-2005, 07:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia

All the FM and Stevie ringtones I've heard are cheesy....so I've got Brick House, the real song, not that beepy-beep crap.

Good luck!
I'm thinking of Zevon's Mr. Bad Example if I can find it & I don't like any Stevie/Mac ones.
The fun begins.

- Jake
Old 07-23-2005, 07:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
Dobson Cellular as my carrier, And they also upgrade your phone free every 2 years...I like my Nokia phone mainly cause ya can upload all kinds of **** to it & of course I am addicted to playing the color java games.

I enjoy 'em, We have unlimited minutes on both Deb & my phones...And roaming/long distance is basically non-existant on our service, Not bad for about $80 a month (I am on the phone with older sis Lesa/older brother Geary daily...Will be even more hectic now that we have started what will be the beginning of a major medical malpractice/negligence lawsuit filed in the name of my Mother after the way MRMC Fubar'd her.)
I don't believe I've heard of Dobson. I'd already made the purchase when I saw your post, but I appreciate your effort.
I haven't let myself explore the games on the phone yet, but the camera is addictive.

Good luck on the malpractice thing. My mom & her sisters & father won their suit twenty years ago after my grandmother died. I know it can be a lot of work, though my mother basically stayed out of it.

- Jake
Old 07-23-2005, 09:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

way to go, verizon-boy... i love my V, i'm on my phone right now and have been for one hour twenty four minutes fifteen seconds.

wow, just think: we can exchange numbers and call each other all the time and every time i think about something even kind of cool i can call you and tell you and it'll never cost a cent and when stevie comes on the radio i can call and when you see a stevie bumper sticker you can call and we can be friends...

well, no. but that's actually paraphrasing a conversation between me and some random chiquita at a buffett concert (insert jimmy's name where stevie's is). i didn't give her my number.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

i have verizon. seems to have the best serivce around. i have little lies and brown eyed girl has my ringtones.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxmx
way to go, verizon-boy... i love my V, i'm on my phone right now and have been for one hour twenty four minutes fifteen seconds.

wow, just think: we can exchange numbers and call each other all the time and every time i think about something even kind of cool i can call you and tell you and it'll never cost a cent and when stevie comes on the radio i can call and when you see a stevie bumper sticker you can call and we can be friends...

well, no. but that's actually paraphrasing a conversation between me and some random chiquita at a buffett concert (insert jimmy's name where stevie's is). i didn't give her my number.
Guess I'll have to private message those bumper sticker sightings.

- Jake
Old 07-23-2005, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreammms
i have verizon. seems to have the best serivce around. i have little lies and brown eyed girl has my ringtones.
That's what I've heard, though I've received mixed reports on the customer service.
I haven't explored ringtones yet ---much too busy with pressing matters. On a completely unrelated note, I think I've taken pics of my tired old face from every unflattering angle.

- Jake
Old 07-23-2005, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's what I've heard, though I've received mixed reports on the customer service.- Jake

customer service is okay. one time my phone bill was 700 dollars for ONE month and i called them up and complained and they cut it down to 100 dollars because i threatened to cancel. i usually don't go over that much in one month. that month however my friend matt was in a motorcycle accident that left him from the waist down paralyzed. so friends and family kept calling each other about his progress. sorry to get off topic lol

Quote:
I haven't explored ringtones yet ---much too busy with pressing matters. On a completely unrelated note, I think I've taken pics of my tired old face from every unflattering angle.
hey post your picture we want to see!!
Old 07-23-2005, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreammms
customer service is okay. one time my phone bill was 700 dollars for ONE month and i called them up and complained and they cut it down to 100 dollars because i threatened to cancel. i usually don't go over that much in one month. that month however my friend matt was in a motorcycle accident that left him from the waist down paralyzed. so friends and family kept calling each other about his progress. sorry to get off topic lol

hey post your picture we want to see!!
I don't even know how to get the pics up here from the phone, and believe me, you're not missing much. Better left to the imagination.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

- Jake