Originally Posted by dissention

It's not like I was being serious,
Okay.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah
I like the whisper thing ... probably wouldn't want a whole album of it, but it works well w/these lyrics. Sounds like he's straining for some of the notes, but I like it nonetheless.
I'm glad someone posted the lyrics because they were indecipherable to me.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
Personally, I think it's about Ray Lindsey.
Ever notice how those two look at each other?
Well, I'm sure he probably misses Ray.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari
Ok, here's my go at the lyrics:

Oh you and I
We sure can dream
Of conversations
That might have been
I know that I
Treat(ed) you unkind
Then long ago
I lost my mind
And even after
All these years
Oh I can even
See you clear
I know that you
Must lie? sometimes
To hide the truth
You try to find
Oh I won’t shut us down
No I will stay around
As long as I can
As long as I can
Even after
All these years
I can even
See you clear
A child was born
Another time
And every life?
Has it’s price

No I won’t shut us down
No I will stay around
As long as I can
As long as I can
No I won’t shut us down
No I will stay around
As long as I can
As long as I can
As long as I can
As long as I can
I finally listened to this today and I thought it was kind of cool. I'm not a big Lindsey fan but this one was different. As for the words, if you are talking about the part in bold being about his kid being born and him still carrying on with Stevie, that would make him the biggest asshole in the world. Not for doing it, but for writing about it or shoving it in his family's face. "F*ck you, wife (can't remember her name) and my three children. Daddy is f*cking aunt Stevie and I want the world to know it so I write about it and stick it in a movie. And you? Were an inconvenience. I want the world to know that too. A child is born and every life has its price!" Good catch, Stevie.. I'm not saying the man isn't cheating but writing about it and slamming it in their faces? No, I think the words were written for the movie. Gawd, for the sake of not thinking he's a total prick, I hope so. Why do peeps think everything written is about those two hooking up? Weird. Very weird. The song is cool tho. I also like Tom's Square One. Good soundtrack period.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:43 AM
takenbythesky
This message has been deleted by takenbythesky.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually......I quite like this song, the guitar work is fab! I even like the words..but... the voice doesn't do for me, I just hope this isn't a sign of things to come and that he gets a good rest/voice coach and gets himself a new vocal range (or fiddle a few knobs on his mixer thingy maybe) when he gets to recording a solo/FM album or whatever he's going to do.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6
I am still on 3 times, going on 4th now, so I am not quite there yet. I am *loving* the guitar playing and the lyrics (must agree with whoever said this is about Stevie), but the way he sings it... I know it'll grow on me though, so I am going to give it another go.
I didn't have to go from to but only from to but I'm sure if you give it another five listens you'll get to about his singing

I think it complements the guitarplaying, really. Shouldn't be loud and powerful with that intricate playing. Also, shouldn't be too complicated compared to the guitarpart.

Aw come on, you want to join the society, I know you want to!

Last edited by Mari; 09-12-2005 at 02:45 AM..
Old 09-12-2005, 03:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagringader&r
As for the words, if you are talking about the part in bold being about his kid being born and him still carrying on with Stevie, that would make him the biggest asshole in the world. Not for doing it, but for writing about it or shoving it in his family's face. "F*ck you, wife (can't remember her name) and my three children. Daddy is f*cking aunt Stevie and I want the world to know it so I write about it and stick it in a movie. And you? Were an inconvenience. I want the world to know that too. A child is born and every life has its price!" Good catch, Stevie.. I'm not saying the man isn't cheating but writing about it and slamming it in their faces?
That is not how I interpreted that part at all. But to each his own I guess.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17
Btw....It's TOTALLY about Stevie.
Of course it is. It's a commentary on her multiple abortions. "A child is born, another dies".

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 09-12-2005, 04:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

*gulp*
Remind me not to drink coffee when reading your posts. (uh.. no comment) But welcome back, btw, it's been a little while, no?
And, joining the society or not?
Old 09-12-2005, 04:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's weird how everyone is saying this song is experimental because if anything this song is stripped down, lo-fi, and sounds to me as if it was sung and performed exactly as written.
Whoever said it was influenced by old school bluegrass and Americana was spot on. To my ears that's neither quirky or experimental. As I said before it reminds me a little of 60's folk singer Nick Drake.

I would kill for an entire album like this. You guys can keep the shiny, overproduced pop. I like the raw Lindsey more.

As for the lyrics, I don't care who or what it's about, it just sounds good.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This song does not apply to the movie at all. At least the trailor that I saw. Orlando Bloom loses his job, gets depressed and then gets news his father died. He hops a plane to attend the funeral and meets Claire Danes, who then becomes his love interest. There was no baby that I saw in the trailor. It appeared to me to be sort of a superficial, fluff type film. I cannot imagine that Lindsey would want to even sit through a film like this. He has limited outlets for his songs, with the solo thing not appearing to pan out and FM not recording often. I doubt he would waste this opportunity to get one of his songs out by sitting down and handcrafting a song to fit the film. It might have been something he wrote during that "burst of inspiration" he had during the SYW tour.
I also do not interpret any of the lyrics to be a "fu@@ you" to his family. (his kids) That is not what he meant at all. I interpret that entire verse to mean something completely different. It sounds like it is about Stevie because he is writing about an old relationship where things have occurred over the course of many years. A relationship where mistakes were made and now they are learning from those mistakes and accepting things about the other that in the past would have been impossible. (he is accepting that she has to lie...)

I really like the song, it has grown on me. The whispered vocals are ok, the guitar is amazing and the lyrics are some of his best ever. Certainly a powerful declaration of love and committment.

"She has an exquisite femininity"......Lindsey
Old 09-12-2005, 07:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok I finally figured it out, LOL! I like it, and I'm sure I'll probably see the movie just because of it. I really like the Tom Petty song on there too!
Old 09-12-2005, 07:42 AM
ReFleetwoodMac
This message has been deleted by ReFleetwoodMac.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
well, a lot of you may have second thoughts about it, but for me it's simple.
I cried.
I LOVE it, because it hits me like a truck. Because of the imperfection, the totally unreal but straight recorded vocals that creep under my skin immediately AND heaven sent melodylines, esp. in the vocals.

heroes are hard to find.

I didn't cry, but its frailty and subtle poetry struck me more than some of his tracks on SYW, besides it works beautifully in the dramatic/surreal moment of the movie where it's put.

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 09-12-2005, 08:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly
This song does not apply to the movie at all. At least the trailor that I saw. Orlando Bloom loses his job, gets depressed and then gets news his father died. He hops a plane to attend the funeral and meets Claire Danes, who then becomes his love interest. There was no baby that I saw in the trailor. It appeared to me to be sort of a superficial, fluff type film. I cannot imagine that Lindsey would want to even sit through a film like this. He has limited outlets for his songs, with the solo thing not appearing to pan out and FM not recording often. I doubt he would waste this opportunity to get one of his songs out by sitting down and handcrafting a song to fit the film. It might have been something he wrote during that "burst of inspiration" he had during the SYW tour.
I also do not interpret any of the lyrics to be a "fu@@ you" to his family. (his kids) That is not what he meant at all. I interpret that entire verse to mean something completely different. It sounds like it is about Stevie because he is writing about an old relationship where things have occurred over the course of many years. A relationship where mistakes were made and now they are learning from those mistakes and accepting things about the other that in the past would have been impossible. (he is accepting that she has to lie...)

I really like the song, it has grown on me. The whispered vocals are ok, the guitar is amazing and the lyrics are some of his best ever. Certainly a powerful declaration of love and committment.
Kelly, IMO it has a lot of to do with the moment of the song where it's put. Let me know what you think after watching it.

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 09-12-2005, 08:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly
That's a different trailer to the one I saw then, because it's Kirsten Dunst in the movie.

Given the fact that this movie is directed by Cameron Crowe, the man who wrote the first ever Rolling Stone cover feature on the Mac, who has been acclaimed for movies such as Say Anything, Jerry Maguire and Almost Famous, whose love of music and reputation has meant that many big artists such as Bruce Springsteen and Pearl Jam are willing to sit down and write songs just for his movies, and who has known Lindsey for 30 years, I think Lindsey would be more than willing to sit down and watch this "superficial" and fluffy movie.

Tom Petty wrote a whole soundtrack once for a romantic comedy, why can't Lindsey craft one song?