Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacDoug
Obviously you weren't around on the FM newsgroup.
Apparently you were not around for the Ballad of the Arizona Ranger.
I was around for both, & neither one holds a candle to my movie forum, where each week we get several hundred slurs based on race, ethnicity, sex orientation, parentage, education, physical disabilities, mental disabilities, taste, intelligence, number of fingers & toes, verbal posting style, knowledge of movies, knowledge of history, knowledge of politics, knowledge of sports, knowledge of science, knowledge of the nature of knowledge, religion, country of origin, state of origin, county of origin, financial state, politics, etc. etc. etc.

That's the beauty of the absence of moderation online in some of these areas: the floodgates open, but the deluge washes you clean, & you'll know. Plus, we do have great discussions, too.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-05-2005, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
Nah, you two were still being remotely civil, at least from what I read. Plus, you actually stuck to the issue. It was all just passive-aggressive sarcasm with heavy emoticon usage (but so it goes on a moderated forum where you can't use certain four-letter words and personal attacks are forbidden). A good flame war needs to have lots of mean-spirited cursing and lots of attacking people's basic human dignity. If the phrase "complete f***ing moron" hasn't been used, then it ain't a proper flame war yet.
my mistake. I dont normally use cuss words anyway so I guess by your definition I'll never be part of a flame war. I've always thought a reliance on profanity denoted a lack of vocabulary, if not limited intellectual exercise. JMO.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I was around for both, & neither one holds a candle to my movie forum, where each week we get several hundred slurs based on race, ethnicity, sex orientation, parentage, education, physical disabilities, mental disabilities, taste, intelligence, number of fingers & toes, verbal posting style, knowledge of movies, knowledge of history, knowledge of politics, knowledge of sports, knowledge of science, knowledge of the nature of knowledge, religion, country of origin, state of origin, county of origin, financial state, politics, etc. etc. etc.

That's the beauty of the absence of moderation online in some of these areas: the floodgates open, but the deluge washes you clean, & you'll know. Plus, we do have great discussions, too.
Can you post a link?

Old 12-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Great, I'm glad you don't care, and my point wasn't about people agreeing, my point was about not being a pussy if you are going to say something out loud, or if you are going to be a pussy, maybe don't say it out loud. If you feel like speaking your mind, do it all the way, not the pussy way, etc. Same point if you are a kind person, which I'm sure you are.
You don't have to answer to anything, but just like you wanted to speak your mind, you can't expect others to "zip it" about what you say.
And AGAIN, you can say whatever you want however you want, I was simply pointing out that you did it in the most pussy way possible. In case you did care about being a pussy. But it's fine if you don't, no skin off my nose. Just trying to help you out.
ALL I said was that I thought someone posted too much. I DIDN'T say his name, thinking MAYBE I could get some input as to others thoughts on the matter, without baring all. But, you guys bared all, and proceeded to jump all over me, again, for just saying someone posted too much.
AND, this board is so slanted towards women and gays, I'll bet if I called YOU a pussy, FIVE times in a post, that I'd get a strike. But, that'll never happen in your case. Never happen.
As long as I post within the rules and FAQ's, get over it. Just because you post 10 billion times a day, doesn't mean you own the joint.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
ALL I said was that I thought someone posted too much. I DIDN'T say his name, thinking MAYBE I could get some input as to others thoughts on the matter, without baring all. But, you guys bared all, and proceeded to jump all over me, again, for just saying someone posted too much.
AND, this board is so slanted towards women and gays, I'll bet if I called YOU a pussy, FIVE times in a post, that I'd get a strike. But, that'll never happen in your case. Never happen.
As long as I post within the rules and FAQ's, get over it. Just because you post 10 billion times a day, doesn't mean you own the joint.
Plus, I pictured you more as a vulva

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 12-05-2005, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Plus, I pictured you more as a vulva
I have a friend named Velva! Guess what I call her?
Old 12-05-2005, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There are people on here with significantly more posts than Davidmn. It almost seems you may have singled him out because he is so good natured that he would not respond in kind?

Old 12-05-2005, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have a friend named Velva! Guess what I call her?
BWHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Vulva and "rhymes with a brand of ketchup" are two of my favortie words EVER!!!!!! I also like "hooker." AND - to add to the fun, they are interchangeable and mixable - fun for everyone!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 12-05-2005, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3
There are people on here with significantly more posts than Davidmn. It almost seems you may have singled him out because he is so good natured that he would not respond in kind?
Not true. I singled him out because it seems like sooo many of his posts merely say, "thanks for posting". Opening 20 threads, thinking something's been posted,only to find another, "thanks for posting", makes me feel like I've wasted my time (much how I feel in this thread ).
Old 12-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'll bet if I called YOU a pussy, FIVE times in a post, that I'd get a strike.
VERY GOOD POINT
Quote:
But, that'll never happen in your case. Never happen.
one has to wonder why

Quote:
Just because you post 10 billion times a day, doesn't mean you own the joint
I concur. Who was it who took it upon herself to present David with choices?
AS IF. Who then acted all innocent when called on it? PUH LEEZ. I think Amber needs to reevaluate her career choice. Since she likes "helping" people so much, maybe she should be oh lessee......a prison warden? a drill sergeant? a despot?
yep.. all very helpful to be sure...

Last edited by irishgrl; 12-05-2005 at 09:02 PM..
Old 12-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OMG. the perfect job for Amber:

GOD
Old 12-05-2005, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgrl
my mistake. I dont normally use cuss words anyway so I guess by your definition I'll never be part of a flame war. I've always thought a reliance on profanity denoted a lack of vocabulary, if not limited intellectual exercise. JMO.
Well, a reliance on any single aspect of language is rarely a good thing, but there certainly nothing intellectually limiting about curse words in and of themselves. They're neither better nor worse than any other word in the language, except they carry an extra charge and can be quite useful to add emphasis or set a certain tone.

But I'll shoot Mamet, Tarantino, Carlin and Burroughs a memo letting them know that you think they're a buncha halfwits with poor vocabularies.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgrl
OMG. the perfect job for Amber:

GOD
Shouldn't that be "OMA"?

Or do you not want to confuse any German grandmothers who might be lurking?
Old 12-05-2005, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
Well, a reliance on any single aspect of language is rarely a good thing, but there certainly nothing intellectually limiting about curse words in and of themselves. They're neither better nor worse than any other word in the language, except they carry an extra charge and can be quite useful to add emphasis or set a certain tone.

But I'll shoot Mamet, Tarantino, Carlin and Burroughs a memo letting them know that you think they're a buncha halfwits with poor vocabularies.
My mother always told me that an intelligent person can find a suitable word without having to rely on profanity. I agree. it takes more mental stretching to say what you want to say without resorting to gutter talk. Sorry, thats just what I believe. You can send all the memos you want but IMO, profanity certainly doesnt convey class.

btw: Ive cussed in my day, but Im not proud of it and its usually only in extreme cases. Im human after all....
Old 12-05-2005, 09:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
****, man, sign me up!

It's okay if I've only seen a grand total of four or five movies this year, right?

Even if one of them was Dukes of Hazzard?