User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I could picture this "source" being either one of her die-hard fans or one of her backup singers/girlfriends.
I could also picture the source as being non-existent, since the Enquirer is a rag without journalistic integrity. I mean they do crack some stories like John Edwards' love child, but they also make a lot of stuff up. Michele
Old 06-05-2015, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
see the thing is - why would we be so sure in that? all other collaborators don't seem to think that. almost everyone he produced or worked with over the years, from the early days on, have only good things to say about him. i was reading Walter Egan q&a here the other day, and when someone asked him whether LB was a "douche" or hard to work with he said something like, no he was really easy - unless Stevie was also in the studio.
I don't doubt that Lindsey is difficult to work with, but Stevie is too, in a different way. Certainly, I don't think he has darkened or burdened Stevie's soul any more than she has his.

Michele
Old 06-08-2015, 04:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Q: Are you all relishing making a new record?

Lindsey: I think Stevie's a little torn. It has a lot to do with her life in general and trying to figure out what means something to her. I don't know whether or not she'll come to the table for an album. I hope she does. I've said to her "One of the things that was so beautiful for me about working on new songs with Chris was she wanted me to do that for her. That was something you used to want me to do for you -- nobody's done it better than I have. It tapped into something in me, Stevie, with Chris, that I'd almost forgotten, when it's not just for yourself. If you would trust me to do that for you it would make me very happy." I think it scares her a little.

Didn't she trust him to do that on Say You Will and ended up not liking the result??
It had much more to do with the situation than the "result." Her dismay was mostly about feeling isolated by the process. With Christine's absence, the power and responsibility shifted heavily in Lindsey's corner.

Given his ever-increasing propensity of working in a solitary manner, tinkering with technologies, it's easy to understand why her collaborations with him felt cold, removed and distant. Add to that her personal issues at the time, Stevie was just not happy. She was so sullen on that tour.

Even though I've sometimes criticized Lindsey's somewhat steely production on Say You Will, I still love the album for what it is. It does seem to lack a certain warmth. But it's still a very edgy, creative and unique album. It's a worthy piece of their legacy.

Stevie's songs, practically an album unto itself (with the inclusion of Not Make Believe) are up to par, yet distinctive to the time and circumstance in which they were created. Keep in mind that Lindsey played a significant role in establishing the rock star status she has achieved. He molded her raw demos into commercial gold, even in times when they became arch enemies. He has never wavered in his intentions to work with her to do the best he can with her songs. Lindsey is not Hitler, as he has shown a much more pragmatic demeanor than Stevie.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 06-08-2015 at 04:56 AM..
Old 06-08-2015, 09:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Stevie's songs, practically an album unto itself (with the inclusion of Not Make Believe) are up to par, yet distinctive to the time and circumstance in which they were created. Keep in mind that Lindsey played a significant role in establishing the rock star status she has achieved. He molded her raw demos into commercial gold, even in times when they became arch enemies. He has never wavered in his intentions to work with her to do the best he can with her songs. Lindsey is not Hitler, as he has shown a much more pragmatic demeanor than Stevie.
The thing I've never understood, is there are a number of interviews where Lindsey and Stevie talk about Stevie learning to trust Lindsey again. Trust how? Romantically, she was the one who cheated and left him. Musically, he continued to produce hits for her, even if he didn't want to (which is also always mentioned in interviews). He left the band, but came back, and has been back for 18 years. So I've never understood what exactly they're talking about there in regards to trust issues.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:35 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I could also picture the source as being non-existent, since the Enquirer is a rag without journalistic integrity. I mean they do crack some stories like John Edwards' love child, but they also make a lot of stuff up. Michele
exactly. They could easily find this forum and come up with something that short pretty quickly.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauls90 View Post
exactly. They could easily find this forum and come up with something that short pretty quickly.
According to jbrownsjr... Stevie and Lindsey have hated each other for years. He was not available for further comment.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
According to jbrownsjr... Stevie and Lindsey have hated each other for years. He was not available for further comment.
well, Christine's recent comments add do a real credibility to the notion that they haven't gotten along with each other for long time offstage.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
see the thing is - why would we be so sure in that? all other collaborators don't seem to think that. almost everyone he produced or worked with over the years, from the early days on, have only good things to say about him. i was reading Walter Egan q&a here the other day, and when someone asked him whether LB was a "douche" or hard to work with he said something like, no he was really easy - unless Stevie was also in the studio.

yeah, you can say that as a LB fan i'm prone to seeing LB in a good light, but i'm just not sure whether this "Lindsey is a douche" is really true or if it really mostly comes from a single source - his ex (and maybe another source - KC - who frequently seems to have an axe to grind with most of the band).

I do think he *was* a douche to work with for many years... not just Stevie has said so but also Mick and Chris. Mick and his cowriter used the word "martinet" in his first book which is just a fancier way of saying dictatorial douche. Chris said on BBC with Johnnie Walker that Lindsey could be very cold and hard to work with in the early days. He could be very caustic and condescending in how he interacted with people.. you see a faint reminiscent glimpse of it in the SYW doc when he does the "listener of listeners?" thing with Mick and that whole convo.

I think (in addition to at times really wanting to give Stevie payback) really he was just so focused and intense that his attention to social niceties and concern for others in the studio could get lost. In later years John Stewart made some comments about Lindsey being pretty scarily intense in the studio. I think he was just as hard on himself as he was on others, but maybe that was hidden from view or harder for others to see.
I think with Stevie he was sometimes just nasty... because he just had all that anger that festered and the "lack of closure" he always talks about nowadays.

Did Stevie add to it as well? Certainly. Codependence, baby.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
well, Christine's recent comments add do a real credibility to the notion that they haven't gotten along with each other for long time offstage.
How long's a long time? Did she miss 2010, for example?

“I spent a lot of time with Stevie when she was making her solo album this last year and we spent a lot of really nice quality time…”

“I’ve spent a good deal of time with Stevie in the last year and we’re getting along, you know, as good or better than we’ve ever gotten along”

"You know, she has an album out as well and we spent a good deal of time together…”

"I knew Stevie was working on a solo album and I called up and I said, ‘Is there anything I can do?’ So I started going over there and hanging out, and we just had the best time.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montclare View Post
The thing I've never understood, is there are a number of interviews where Lindsey and Stevie talk about Stevie learning to trust Lindsey again. Trust how? Romantically, she was the one who cheated and left him. Musically, he continued to produce hits for her, even if he didn't want to (which is also always mentioned in interviews). He left the band, but came back, and has been back for 18 years. So I've never understood what exactly they're talking about there in regards to trust issues.
It's interesting, isn't it? I remember on Unleashed interview where he was talking about rehearsals and his main purpose really seemed to be working on that. Again, in that Don't Stop documentary in 2009.

And in an interview about the EP songs in 2013:

Extended Play” also features “Miss Fantasy,” a new track with very classic Fleetwood Mac harmonies. How did that come about?

That was sort of in a moment when I’d had some interaction with Stevie where I felt like I was tapping into the whole lexicon of memories and of emotional connections going all the way back to before she and I were a couple. She was really much caught up in the world of her solo effort. It was right at the end of that and I felt like it was hard to kind of find her in all of that or that perhaps more accurately, it was harder for her to find me, and the person that she knew and trusted and so you know, “Miss Fantasy,” it may be “you don’t remember me/but I remember you” and that’s really what that’s about.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 06-09-2015, 07:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
How long's a long time? Did she miss 2010, for example?

“I spent a lot of time with Stevie when she was making her solo album this last year and we spent a lot of really nice quality time…”

“I’ve spent a good deal of time with Stevie in the last year and we’re getting along, you know, as good or better than we’ve ever gotten along”

"You know, she has an album out as well and we spent a good deal of time together…”

"I knew Stevie was working on a solo album and I called up and I said, ‘Is there anything I can do?’ So I started going over there and hanging out, and we just had the best time.”

It's interesting, isn't it? I remember on Unleashed interview where he was talking about rehearsals and his main purpose really seemed to be working on that. Again, in that Don't Stop documentary in 2009.

And in an interview about the EP songs in 2013:

Extended Play” also features “Miss Fantasy,” a new track with very classic Fleetwood Mac harmonies. How did that come about?

That was sort of in a moment when I’d had some interaction with Stevie where I felt like I was tapping into the whole lexicon of memories and of emotional connections going all the way back to before she and I were a couple. She was really much caught up in the world of her solo effort. It was right at the end of that and I felt like it was hard to kind of find her in all of that or that perhaps more accurately, it was harder for her to find me, and the person that she knew and trusted and so you know, “Miss Fantasy,” it may be “you don’t remember me/but I remember you” and that’s really what that’s about.
Honestly, his sweet talking her in the press the past half dozen years is nothing more than him trying to wrangle her into a Mac album. I think Lindsey wanted a new Mac album both before and after the 2009 Unleashed tour. Obviously that never happened, and Stevie went on to record In Your Dreams... her self professed 'best year of her life.' Lindsey knew that if he were ever to get Stevie to work with him again, that he'd have to turn on that Dave Stewart-style praise and "yes man" mentality. Which he's been doing for half a dozen years now, to no avail.

I give Lindsey credit, though- as much as Stevie continues to bad mouth him to the media (with a few notable exceptions where she was having rare bouts of mania) and keep FM out of the recording studio, Lindsey's kindness to Stevie in the press has never wavered. His desire for a new Mac album must be pretty strong to put up with her unrelenting abuse.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:28 AM

^^ good points...
Old 06-09-2015, 09:09 AM

Even back then, Lindsey was always looking over his shoulder!!

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 06-09-2015 at 10:13 AM..
Old 06-09-2015, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Honestly, his sweet talking her in the press the past half dozen years is nothing more than him trying to wrangle her into a Mac album. I think Lindsey wanted a new Mac album both before and after the 2009 Unleashed tour. Obviously that never happened, and Stevie went on to record In Your Dreams... her self professed 'best year of her life.' Lindsey knew that if he were ever to get Stevie to work with him again, that he'd have to turn on that Dave Stewart-style praise and "yes man" mentality. Which he's been doing for half a dozen years now, to no avail.

I give Lindsey credit, though- as much as Stevie continues to bad mouth him to the media (with a few notable exceptions where she was having rare bouts of mania) and keep FM out of the recording studio, Lindsey's kindness to Stevie in the press has never wavered. His desire for a new Mac album must be pretty strong to put up with her unrelenting abuse.
And I'm a huge Stevie fan. But together, they are what they are.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Even back then, Lindsey was always looking over his shoulder!!

Love this!
Old 06-10-2015, 12:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I do think he *was* a douche to work with for many years... not just Stevie has said so but also Mick and Chris. Mick and his cowriter used the word "martinet" in his first book which is just a fancier way of saying dictatorial douche.
Mick was talking about Tango there and said that Lindsey was super nice to Stevie when they were recording TITN because he was making an effort given her state, but Mick said he treated the rest of them like marionettes.

Michele