User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
watching him tune his guitar was mesmerizing - you can't get any feeling of it from the recording! he was clearly pissed about it and kept tuning it / turning all the various knobs furiously fast - it was just un-be-lie-va-ble to watch right in front of you!! all that while he was trying to make some small talk and look all relaxed about it but once interviewer pointed out how LB is obviously not happy about the tuning situation you could notice that really being the case... then when he started RAB it was clear that alone - hearing RAB live for the 1st time ever after all the requests - would be worth 5X the price of admission!!!!!
Elle, you know that's the part I just keep reading, and re-reading I hate that I missed him doing that...I might have to print it up and frame it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amlyn View Post
Great review Elle!!! I am so with you on this part. I could have sat there tilll next year watching him tune that guitar. It was such a sneak peek at a moment we never are privy too. It was sooooo amazing!! And to hear him just bust out with RAB...especially since 6 weeks ago you and I heard him say he hadn't figured out how to perform that one. He was putting us on I bet, cause it sounded sooo amazing. (Sorry guys that weren't there...it was unbelievably awesome to hear live...the recording does give you some idea though!)

Hope to see you at more events soon...i hope and pray!
Me too

And I'm really glad so many Ledgies were there to experience RAB - and the whole event

------------------

Last edited by Lindsfan; 11-06-2011 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 11-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklind17 View Post
Honestly, I think he was a liiiiittle thrown by the spontaneity of the performance. He hadn't planned on playing it, he was singing into a microphone that was set up for speaking, I don't think he'd really warmed up his voice all that much, so I would guess it was more that he wasn't that excited with how the song came across. His live shows are so polished and it was kind of neat seeing him tune his guitar and figure out if everything was in place for certain songs, but I got a sense that he wasn't loving not giving us a more "perfected" version. Nonetheless, it was really neat and I don't think anyone cared at all that it was so off the cuff, everyone was very excited by the song choice when he said it was what he was going to play!

Also, I should note that he played "Big Love" completely full out while sitting in an armchair. I couldn't help laughing at the end, because it was total, fulll on "Big Love" yelping, while sitting down, on a stage in an auditorium. Amazing.
Ahh okay, but he never actually said that it would be the last time he performed the song live?
Old 11-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post
Ahh okay, but he never actually said that it would be the last time he performed the song live?
He joked about it. This is the way I remember it. He did it...we all cheered and stood up (his second of about 5 standing ovations for the evening) and he said something like "well, I'll never do that one live again." And I think it was either the "perfect" reaction of the crowd or maybe the dissatisfaction of not being picture perfect but...who knows with LB? Still, it was definitely a joke.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Ledgie

wow, rock away blind live...enough to move me to tears, thank you for sharing as well all of the wonderful details about the event.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i yelled That's the way love goes as a suggested response... he was going in circles a bit and then settled on Big Love. after thinking about it for a sec, i think i agree with him. people who don't know anything about him are always blown away by it.
I would agree about seeing BL live as an introduction to him. Even 14 years after the Dance (and he was doing it this way even before The Dance) people are still writing about being blown away seeing him do it in concert. However, on a recording, I don't think just listening to the song is that explosive. Listening to the acoustic version (or band version either) is not a good way to introduce people to LB in my book. But bless his heart, if he thinks so.

Michele
Old 11-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I would agree about seeing BL live as an introduction to him. Even 14 years after the Dance (and he was doing it this way even before The Dance) people are still writing about being blown away seeing him do it in concert. However, on a recording, I don't think just listening to the song is that explosive. Listening to the acoustic version (or band version either) is not a good way to introduce people to LB in my book. But bless his heart, if he thinks so.
as i was writing that i agree with him on BL, i started thinking exactly what you worded here - BL is PERFECT intro to him live, or if you are going to watch it on youtube. but if you are just listening, then no, has to be something else.

Last edited by elle; 11-06-2011 at 02:55 PM..
Old 11-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
He joked about it. This is the way I remember it. He did it...we all cheered and stood up (his second of about 5 standing ovations for the evening) and he said something like "well, I'll never do that one live again." And I think it was either the "perfect" reaction of the crowd or maybe the dissatisfaction of not being picture perfect but...who knows with LB? Still, it was definitely a joke.
i didn't remember it at first, but then i heard the recording and he definitely said it as a joke. i think he has it almost ready to add to the live set. i just wish he adds longer outro like on the CD, it was pretty short.

i thought it was cute when he said before starting IAW that he noticed they turned down his mic in the middle of his doing RAB when "i started screaming into it" or something like that.

about BL grunts, not sure how best to describe it - was just kinda funny kinda weird that ending - he didn't do too many uh-huhs since it must have not been that comfortable trying to make sure that chair doesn't go flying as he was moving. it was not a huge movement but he definitely was not sitting still as through the rest of the song.

and he is doing rhythm with his left leg all the time as he's playing and singing as when he's standing up but it seems more pronounced when he's sitting down. and it's so impressive to hear him belt out these things from sitting down. i don't really like IAW on the CD and was not completely happy when i saw that's the one he was going to do, but it was almost perfect live.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i thought audience questions that were picked were all pretty good. it was interesting to watch him listening to a question and then say "wow" and think his way through the answer while talking.

besides the ones i've seen mentioned here, there was also a question which was something like - what does he think he is first and foremost - guitarist, songwriter, rock star, producer, singer, or? (i tried to yell the answer "rock star" - figured he won't say that ). somebody else might have better recollection about the question and the answer which ended up i think on the "stylist" thing after again going in circles thinking through different suggestions for a bit. host commented that yes LB usually says he's first and foremost a stylist but that's way too narrow and too modest for what LB actually does.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

oh and at the end - when the guitar was being re-tuned again for BL, and host was done with all audience questions he selected to ask, it looked like LB felt that it's his turn to make a conversation b/c he was supposed to be playing BL and there was a wait instead so he started talking to the host like he came to have a coffee in his living room:

"so... it was so great to see you again!" then he grabbed host's water bottle, turned it around and commented how he finds it interesting/funny that they had to cover the label on the bottle and host responded trying to make some half joke about being contractually obligated to drink different water...
Old 11-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i thought it was cute when he said before starting IAW that he noticed they turned down his mic in the middle of his doing RAB when "i started screaming into it" or something like that.

about BL grunts, not sure how best to describe it - was just kinda funny kinda weird that ending - he didn't do too many uh-huhs since it must have not been that comfortable trying to make sure that chair doesn't go flying as he was moving. it was not a huge movement but he definitely was not sitting still as through the rest of the song.

and he is doing rhythm with his left leg all the time as he's playing and singing as when he's standing up but it seems more pronounced when he's sitting down. and it's so impressive to hear him belt out these things from sitting down. i don't really like IAW on the CD and was not completely happy when i saw that's the one he was going to do, but it was almost perfect live.
Thank you for all of this Your reviews are aewsome Speaking of screaming into the mic, my favorite part of IAW on this is when he goes into the chorus. When he started the song so high, I was worried where he'd go from there, but then he dropped down and really belted it out...for me, very reminicsent of OOTC live recordings. Gives me chills listening to it
Old 11-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OMG, I love this thread and all of you for sharing this experience. I can't believe I overlooked the fact that he played RAB. Ugh...so mad I couldn't see this myself. Hope he incorporates it into a show in the future. You never know...

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 11-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So, you've described what he said about being old when his last one finishes high school (that's just 11 years away Linds) and being glad he got the chance to have 3 later in life, but did he say anything else about any of his kids specifically.

Also, other than saying that she and Stevie egged each other on with the divorces, did he say any thing else about Christine?

Michele
Old 11-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
So, you've described what he said about being old when his last one finishes high school (that's just 11 years away Linds) and being glad he got the chance to have 3 later in life, but did he say anything else about any of his kids specifically.

Also, other than saying that she and Stevie egged each other on with the divorces, did he say any thing else about Christine?

Michele
when answering audience question of what kind of music he listens too he gave similar response as on Morning Joe - what his kids listen to in the car (he named the station in LA, somebody in the audience reacted to it - maybe they can comment more), and he did mention Katy Perry and fast corrected him self that he actually likes her in real life and doesn't have anything against her, but it's not exactly his kind of music, and he listed as usual - arcade fire, vampire weekend, dirty projectors and another one that he also mentioned before...

don't recall he said anything else about Christine that i can remember. and if you listen to the recording, he was a bit more tame in his wording then i described about the "egging each other on"
Old 11-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
but it's not exactly his kind of music, and he listed as usual - arcade fire, vampire weekend, dirty projectors and another one that he also mentioned before...
Must be Phoenix, right?
Old 11-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastelGravel View Post
Must be Phoenix, right?
yes, phoenix too. and then he said that obviously phoenix and arcade fire had broken through and are also having a commercial success - or he said something like that.

but he mentioned another band i've heard him mentioning before - grizzly bear.