User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-29-2004, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmar71
Oh, how could I forget her! Barbra! Shudder and Puke!
Actually, I don't mind her. I like her voice but not her songs. Just not my taste. I do think she's worlds better than Celine Dion.

- Jake
Old 05-03-2004, 12:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention

Do you own any of her albums (Very Best of SC doesn't count)? Just asking because if you did, I don't think you'd be saying you wished she'd write better songs; she's a genius, musically and lyrically. It saddens me that she made that comment about her songwriting because a great deal of her stuff is just as moving as Stevie's, IMO. The Globe Sessions is amazing and her song "Redemption Day" is, IMO, one of the best songs ever written.

I think that someone needs to actually listen to an artists albums, not base their impression of them on hit singles (which Crow has had tons of, but they don't necessarily represent her albums).

And she is the last of a dying breed when it comes to old school musicians, there's no way around it. The girl plays almost ever instrument, writes her own songs, produces her own albums, tours almost yearly; it's no wonder that all the classic artists love her, she's doing what they did. When you get the endorsement of Bob Dylan, you're up there in my book.
No, I don't own any of her albums, and that's why I later agreed that we (including myself) need to remember not to base our whole opinion on someone based on their singles. But my point was is that this is exactly what I think is sad with Sheryl...I can see that there is so much more to her than Soak Up The Sun and All I Wanna Do, and it's unfortunate that these are among her most widely known works. I don't have a problem by any means with someone just writing a fun song, but these two are just as God-awful as it gets, IMO.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Hmmmm.... Who is overrated? I would define this as an artist who gets much more accolades than they deserve.

1) Radiohead: Their first two albums were good, but after that- WTF?? Critical darlings who spew out "adventurous" (read- unlistenable) garbage.

2) Sonic Youth: I never got it. I think the critics just say they like because they think that saying that makes them look "cool".

3) David Byrne: The worst of the worst. Everything he does is contrived towards being a "renaissance man". All he ends up with is ****.

4) The Strokes: Two or three chords, subpar musicianship and stanky vocals add up to........... critical adulation!! Their three minutes of fame are way past gone.

5) Bob Dylan: He IS a great songwriter and lyricist. But beyond that- fagettabout it! All those geezer rock snobs out there saying "Dylan is God" just to be part of the cool crowd. It IS acceptable to own up to the fact that Dylan has produced a LOT of stinkers- not just a few, but a LOT.

6) The Beatles: Yeah they changed music. Yeah they wrote great music. Yeah rock and roll would never be the same. But they've been so, so elevated beyond what they really are- it's like they're gods and are infallible. And it's such crap. I really like a lot of their music, but I really think they've become overrated.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:23 PM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll add Natalie Cole. That voice is wafer-thin, as the Monty Python waiter says.

- Jake
Old 05-04-2004, 10:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit
I'll add Natalie Cole. That voice is wafer-thin, as the Monty Python waiter says.

- Jake

Have you heard her sing "Lush Life," probably the HARDEST song to sing EVER?!

Shame, shame, shame.

Old 05-04-2004, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

Shame, shame, shame.
An even more difficult song to sing is "Take A Look". "Lush Life" is a snap compared to that one. If you haven't heard it, you gotta get it. It's Natalie's best vocal performance ever, ever, ever....

I would consider Natalie Cole to be one of the more underrated artists from the last 30 years. She is a PHENOMONAL singer, with a fantastic range and perfect pitch.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation The 3 that I can name...

at this moment who grate on my nerves (Each of whom in my eyes are VERY overtly overated):

Kenny Chesney (aka Kenny Cheese-Knee...Leave the hat on yer bald head)

Rascal Flatts (Boy band lameness added to country minus ANY talent equals BARFFFF!!!)

Kid Rock (Hey Kid, Your 15 minutes of fame ended 14 minutes back...Ask yer former blow-up doll Pamela, She even knew!)

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 05-04-2004, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tower
An even more difficult song to sing is "Take A Look". "Lush Life" is a snap compared to that one. If you haven't heard it, you gotta get it. It's Natalie's best vocal performance ever, ever, ever....

I would consider Natalie Cole to be one of the more underrated artists from the last 30 years. She is a PHENOMONAL singer, with a fantastic range and perfect pitch.
I totally forgot about Take A Look!!!!!! That sucker blew me away when I first heard it!!!!

However, Lush Life is still one of the hardest to sing. I practiced it for ages and when it finally came time to do it live, I bombed. I've since perfected it, though. (I used Queen Latifah's version as a model)

Old 05-04-2004, 03:09 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:59 PM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Shame, shame, shame.
Sorry, I don't care for her. No shame here.

- Jake
Old 05-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Junior Ledgie

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tower
3) David Byrne: The worst of the worst. Everything he does is contrived towards being a "renaissance man". All he ends up with is ****.
Wow, serious hatred indeed...! I'd be curious to know which tracks exactly sound like "****" since just about everything I've heard from Byrne is impeccably crafted, sonically adventurous and extremely well written, particularly his latest album "Grown Backwards". Seems to me that maybe you just don't like the sound of his voice...

As for his contrivance towards "Renaissance Man" status... I really don't know how you come up with that one. Its a term the media seem to attach to him now and again but I don't really see Byrne straining for additional publicity for his art or photography projects, their quality generally speaks for itself. As does the quality of his music and live shows.

Anyway, as you can probably tell, I quite like David Byrne! I'm also a great admirer of Radiohead and personally find their first two albums bland and extremely boring when compared with their more recent work. They can only be admired for following their artistic impulses rather than falling back on their tried and tested formula.

I can only think of one band that are currently overrated...Franz Ferdinand - (here in UK and Ireland) some great stuff but WAY too early for them to be getting the critical adoration being heaped on them - The album is so repetitive... Aside from that you have the usual suspects that don't deserve rating at all (Britney, Christine, Eamon... etc etc)!
Old 05-07-2004, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I totally forgot about Take A Look!!!!!! That sucker blew me away when I first heard it!!!!

However, Lush Life is still one of the hardest to sing. I practiced it for ages and when it finally came time to do it live, I bombed. I've since perfected it, though. (I used Queen Latifah's version as a model)
Queen L. MADE the movie "Living Out Loud" and that is saying alot becuase Helen Hunt was great in it. The soundtrack is superb!!!!!!!!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 05-07-2004, 10:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Queen L. MADE the movie "Living Out Loud" and that is saying alot becuase Helen Hunt was great in it. The soundtrack is superb!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll forgive you for mistaking the great Holly Hunter for Helen Hunt. Helen hunt ain't fit to lick Holly Hunter's boot straps.

Living Out Loud is one of my favorites and I thought Hunter looked fantastic as a blonde. I crack up everytime she has one of her daydreams.

"Maybe I should adopt a crack baby, let it live in a nice apartement. No, it wouldn't work. These neighbors and their loafers. Their stuck-up kids would make fun of my crack baby. My crack baby would have no playdates. Poor kid. Too much information, too much information."

PS: I aodre DeVito's song on the soundtrack!

Old 05-09-2004, 01:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost
]
Shall we discuss Yentl now?
I know you're waiting impatiently for a limited edition DVD with multiple takes of Papa Can You Heeyah Me. Not to mention Barbra getting to second base on Amy Irving. Too bad that footage ended up on the cutting room floor.

- Jake