User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-21-2006, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
...Mom called each of us and asked us if she should have this "elective surgery" to calm her fear (According to her own physicians records she should "Have no foreseeable problems by having the procedure performed at this time") and I told her if it will make her feel better to "go for it".
I know its hard but you can't beat yourself up about supporting her in the surgery. You had no way of knowing the outcome. My Mom had hernia surgery and thank God she is fine. I had to keep what happened to your Mom from her so she wouldn't be scared. If I'd lost her I couldn't have blamed myself for that but probably would've too.

I can't imagine how hard what you've gone through has been. You have already healed so much that it's amazing. I hope the incompetent pay for their blundering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
...I also have the guilt of the last conversation I ever had with my Mom, On March 9th, When Mom told me on the phone "I think I am going to die...", I responded with "No you're not...You're too f**king mean to die..." (Again, Trying to relax my Mom's fear)...
There is no way you could let yourself believe your Mom would die while she was in the hospital and no way you could let her believe it. No one could, she just had to get better, and it really sucks that she didn't. It was so shocking. Your Mom probably gets a chuckle about that line because it is just so you.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Of course Brian, no problem.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Brian, I'm so sorry. I'm lucky enough to still have both of my parents with me. But I can imagine how hard it is for you. And I'm sure time doesn't make it any easier. I hope you get through this first anniversary without too much anquish.

made by dissention
Old 03-21-2007, 12:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Well...

Yet another year has gone by since I lost my Mom - Just wanted to thank everyone for being there for me, cause otherwise I wouldnt be here.

I still have ALL the sympathy cards that were sent from my Ledgie family, and those meant alot to me

So thanks...

I'm FINALLY accepting her death, just not the way she passed on (I have the 400+ page medical report next to me in a large box - all I can say is I had nightmares about some of the stuff in those records). Couldnt find justice for Mom via a lawsuit (The lawyer agrees that there was "severe gross negligence" but the hospital would've played the 'morbid obesity' card.) But that's fine - As Mom always LOVED to say "Dont worry, they'll get theirs when they least expect".

With some luck I think I may get through today without crying, just have to try to go forward as best as I can. At least I have family who love me (Quirks and all unconditionally) and my Ledge family who cares.... and I have TONS of music to look forward to enjoying.

Brian j.

ps-Btw, I cant wait to update the signature picture below. My sister Lesa bought an eternal light (A blue one - Which I now call "Mom's Blue Light Special", hey she loved K-Mart!) to place at Mom's grave - and it looks badass at night.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 03-21-2007, 12:41 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post
but the hospital would've played the 'morbid obesity' card
People whose obesity has risen to "morbid" levels likely wouldn't live all that long anyway. With or without severe gross negligence. My condolences though.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Beg to differ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nicki View Post
People whose obesity has risen to "morbid" levels likely wouldn't live all that long anyway. With or without severe gross negligence. My condolences though.
I agree that morbid obesity can cause death more readily with or without severe gross negligence - But of course the hospital is going to use that ploy to cover their ass in a matter of liabilty, since they are the ones who originally caused my Mother to become 'mobidly obese' (I have it in print/on paper in the hospitals own records that admit that her weight gain was caused by "a previous surgery in 1986 they had performed that was improperly followed up upon").

Btw, Thanks for your condolences
Old 03-21-2007, 05:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

bless you brian, my thoughts are w/ you~
Old 03-21-2007, 08:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My thoughts are with you today, Brian.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yet another year has gone by
thinking of you and your family. best wishes to you.

the only lamp left on...was a blue light...
Old 03-21-2007, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree that morbid obesity can cause death more readily with or without severe gross negligence - But of course the hospital is going to use that ploy to cover their ass in a matter of liabilty, since they are the ones who originally caused my Mother to become 'mobidly obese' (I have it in print/on paper in the hospitals own records that admit that her weight gain was caused by "a previous surgery in 1986 they had performed that was improperly followed up upon").

Btw, Thanks for your condolences
Then I think your lawyer is being a p-word. And as far as Little Nicki's comment about her "not living long anyway" - how callous. You don't say that about someone's mother, jeez.

Brian, you've come so far!
Old 03-21-2007, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Our lawyer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze View Post
Then I think your lawyer is being a p-word.

Brian, you've come so far!
is great, but I see his point in the hospital wanting to play that card on us (Mom's medical records would go along with the hospital's ploy - but I still find it 'amusing' that the hospitals own records admit her weight gain was caused by he 1986 surgery they performed). We discussed all the options and there wasnt much left for us to do - But that's fine, like I said "Don't worry, they'll get theirs when the least expect".

I do find it ironic that MRMC is for sale by the city of Muskogee, but there's been no interest by in-state buyers (Such as Mercy & Intergris - who both own/operate some of the best hospitals in OK) - Maybe because of the amount of liability suits they have yet to settle (Heh, my Mom sued 'em back in 1978 after they left a surgical sponge in her after a minor gall bladder surgery. The sponge went gangrene and nearly killed my Mom.)

For the record, here's the list of screwups caused by MRMC to my Mother:

1. In mid-1977, MRMC (Then known as Muskogee General Hospital) during a gall bladder removal surgery, left a surgical sponge inside my Mom that eventually went gangrene.

Mom had to be reopened, and nearly died from the infection caused by gangrene. Her bowels were left at risk from the infection.

In Oct.1977, my whole family (Mom, Dad, Granny, my 2 older brothers & myself) were involved in a car wreck on Oct.22nd due to some Oklahoma State Senator's drunken f**khat son swurving into our lane (Dont you love how politicians file suit against a family to cover their own families ass? Yeah, that caused my HATRED of politicians!!!)

Dad, who was driving, died from the impact - He went through the steering column, hit the windshield and momentum carried him back through his seat....The seat split in half and impacted INTO Mom's abdomen since she was sitting directly behind Dad. Mom was split open at the abdomen, She nearly bled to death. Mom's injuries were so severe (She also suffered a fractured leg and arm - she nearly lost her leg, which led to the surgery in 2002 - read on below for that story) she had to have 13" of her large intestines (aka colon) removed since portions of the seat were still imbedded into her body.

2. Botched the 1986 hysterecomy (Still awaiting for those records to know the full details of that surgery. I do know from the records I do have that her large intestine was 'accidently' perforated and after the perforation was corrected that 'excessive scar tissue' started to form)

3. MRMC overdosed my Mom on codeine during her recovery from the hysterecomy surgery which damaged her heart - My Mom's medical charts CLEARLY listed codeine as her main allergy, but yet the dumbass RN gave her a does without looking at her chart, which caused my Mom to go into cardiac arrest (I was there for that whole event) and thus injuring her heart.

4. In 2002 MRMC replaced her knee joint, but MRMC did not properly check my Mom's blood work pre-surgery to see if she had any type of infection - Mom had an abscessed tooth recently removed (Said so in the hospitals own records) and that small abscess caused a major infection that spread to her new knee joint, which had to be removed. Thus she laid in bed in a nursing home for 2 months waiting for the infection to subside before a new knee joint could be installed (Yes, she had no simblance of a knee for 2 months)

Funny, Mom decided to avoid any more infections from her teeth, so she had all her teeth removed and bought new dentures.

5. Minor hernia surgery (w/scar tissue removal from the 1986 hysterecomy) - which turned into a clusterf**k since the O.R. staff perforated her bowel, but they thought the increasing pain in Mom's chest (Days after the surgery) was being caused by her damaged heart. Thus they waited a week to do exploratory surgery to FINALLY notice green fungus and green fluid had built up on her colon.

The lab work sheets (Which I have in my possession) showed she developed an infection during/after the surgery, the lab worked showed she DID NOT have an infection before the surgery was performed on March 7th (Again, that is according to MRMC's own medical records).

All the doctor (Who left town immediately after the surgery for 'vacation time') had to do was run the length of her intestine after the hernia surgery to check for perforations. On March 15th my brother Geary, sister Lesa, Debbie & myself argued with those f**ks to check to see if her intestine may have been perforated since Mom was developing pressure in her abdomen/chest - Of course MRMC told Debbie & Lesa "No, the doctors did not perforate her colon". Debbie argued with the nurse on the other end of my cellphone, the asshole nurse clearly said "I guarantee you the doctor said she does not have a perforation".

Funny, the death certificate & March 22 autopsy said otherwise. Maybe that is why Dr._________ was carrying around Mom's medical records in his possession during August 2005, and why he wanted 'desparately' to go over the autopsy results with Lesa (He sure was nervous on that SUNDAY afternoon), thing is Lesa didnt have the authority to sign off on the autopsy results (Mom did not appoint an 'executive to her estate' since she wasnt planning on cashing in her chips on this existence), but sure nuff Dr._________ sent her via fax the results (Which is an 'ethics violation' in the state of Oklahoma.)

If Dr._________ had run the length of the intestines after the hernia surgery my Mom would still be alive and I wouldnt be boring everyone here with my long-assed stories

Oh, forgot to mention, Lesa is planning to send Dr._________ the board game "Operation" (But she will place a note on the game stating "Please notice there is no perforated bowel - Please leave the patient with the same" ), wanna guess who egged her on for that???

Last edited by estranged4life; 03-21-2007 at 12:24 PM..
Old 03-21-2007, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
People whose obesity has risen to "morbid" levels likely wouldn't live all that long anyway. With or without severe gross negligence.
WTF? Wrong thread. Jesus.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

loveya ((((Brian))))...I know how hard it hurts...
sending hugs, love and good thoughts your way.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
WTF? Wrong thread. Jesus.
I think he meant, the hospital was wrong for labeling her "morbidly obese" and it was just an excuse to save their ass. or that was how I took it meaning....if she were, in fact, then she wouldn't have lived that long..

but I could be wrong..

anyway. brian, my thoughts and prayers are with your family today and beyond. I know I'm late coming to the thread, but I was able to read it earlier today (not able to respond) but I want you to know you've been in my thoughts all day
Old 03-21-2007, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

what? not sure what you mean. I think I see what you mean, but it's just worded weird.