Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-29-2004, 11:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
The first one I saw from DePalma was Sisters with Margot Kidder. That's quite a surreal movie if you haven't seen it, it's very weird.
Oh God, I LOVED 'Sisters'... that movie scared the snot out of me when I was younger. VERY twisted.

And such violence from Lois Lane no less!
Old 11-29-2004, 11:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
heh you'd risk a panic atttack for The Phantom of ther Opera but not a Fleetwood Mac concert

Well, if I had a panic attack in the movie theatre and had to leave, I'd only be out 10 bucks or so... if I had to leave a Fleetwood Mac concert, I'd be out 125 bucks.

So I guess what I'm saying is that my desire to "risk it" decreases as the amount of money I (or someone else) would be losing, increases.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was joking about Patti Can't you see it - Mr. director - please ask the boom operator to hold the mic. 15 MORE feet from my blockbuster voice

But, Madonna - her version is okay and HEAVILY produced. Her voice sounds NOTHING like that and it is so timid. SHe was, however, good in the role, but was it "acting" - hmmmmmmm - local girl of quesitonable talent whores her way to the top Again, I liked her in it. Personally, I think Streep could have played the crap out of it. In fact, she was in the running for many years, but, like Patti, she was too old. All, I have to say is thank GAWD BS (La Streisand ) did not buy the movie rights - think Lucy as Mame

As for phantom, the guy playing phantom is singing out of his league at least from what I have heard - I mean he is borderline flat at times But, the other two leads are good. AND - the scenes I saw are VERY good. So, hopefully, it will be a good show.

save the cheerleader - save the world

Last edited by strandinthewind; 11-29-2004 at 11:47 PM..
Old 11-30-2004, 02:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Yeah, that's how they acted back then, as if they were performing in front of an audience but not acting for them. It's hard to explain, but see the movie and you'll get it. It resembles a 50s movie in the style, titles, clothes, acting, pretty much everything.

Rent a Susan Hayward movie or an old Joan Crawford flick, you'll see what I mean. She took on that style of acting in Far From Heaven.
Ah, no, i've watched plenty of old movies, so i know what you're talking about. Just suprised they did that. I should "do" more Susan Hayward, since she has my birthday! (yes, i'm dumb, i know) but Joan Crawford? I don't "do" Joan, I do Bette! But have you ever seen that weird joan crawford movie with murders in the circus? that movie was freaky!
Old 11-30-2004, 02:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I love musicals.

Sometimes I'm such a stereotype.

Aren't we all?

Anyways,
I love Julianne Moore. I think she (along with Cate Blanchett) is one of the best actresses of our time. Seriously.

I've been wanting to see Far From Heaven for a while now...after seeing all the reccomendations, I'll have to make it a point to rent it.

And Johnny, what's wrong with you? Madonna is NEVER the right choice
Old 11-30-2004, 02:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moony
:And Johnny, what's wrong with you? Madonna is NEVER the right choice

true, so true...
Old 11-30-2004, 02:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moony
And Johnny, what's wrong with you? Madonna is NEVER the right choice
I like Mo.

I think she was perfect for the film adaption of 'Evita,' and 'Evita' was perfect for her.
Now, having said that, I don't think she'd EVER be able to handle the job on Broadway.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelies7
I don't know why he would be unhappy... he did work alongside with Joel Schumacer (sp?).

Personally, I'm grateful that Gerard Butler and Emmy Rossum got their respected roles... folks, it could've been worse...

Try John Travolta singing "The Music of the Night"... yikes!

P.S.: Webber actually chose Schumacer (sp?) to be the director. Guess he trusted him...
Webber isn't exactly the master of good choices. Faye Dunaway? Sunset Boulevard? 'Nuff said.

Old 11-30-2004, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I was joking about Patti Can't you see it - Mr. director - please ask the boom operator to hold the mic. 15 MORE feet from my blockbuster voice

But, Madonna - her version is okay and HEAVILY produced. Her voice sounds NOTHING like that and it is so timid. SHe was, however, good in the role, but was it "acting" - hmmmmmmm - local girl of quesitonable talent whores her way to the top Again, I liked her in it. Personally, I think Streep could have played the crap out of it. In fact, she was in the running for many years, but, like Patti, she was too old. All, I have to say is thank GAWD BS (La Streisand ) did not buy the movie rights - think Lucy as Mame

As for phantom, the guy playing phantom is singing out of his league at least from what I have heard - I mean he is borderline flat at times But, the other two leads are good. AND - the scenes I saw are VERY good. So, hopefully, it will be a good show.
Madonna blew chunks and I consider myself a Madonna fan. She can take that Golden Globe and shove it up her ass. I could care less how much of a stretch it would have been, Patti Lupone is Eva Peron. Madonna isn't fit to lick her boots. Don't even get me started on how much tinkering they had to do to her voice to make it sound decent and there isn't an ounce of power to it. Reminded me of the chick who sings the Folgers coffee jingles.

Old 11-30-2004, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Madonna blew chunks and I consider myself a Madonna fan. She can take that Golden Globe and shove it up her ass. I could care less how much of a stretch it would have been, Patti Lupone is Eva Peron. Madonna isn't fit to lick her boots. Don't even get me started on how much tinkering they had to do to her voice to make it sound decent and there isn't an ounce of power to it. Reminded me of the chick who sings the Folgers coffee jingles.
Not only that, but they shot her with a JAR of vaseline on the lens and through more gauze than La Nicks wears on stage

Seriously, I like that version, but when I think of what it could have been if they had used Lupone or Streep 15 years earlier when negotiations first started. I often wonder is Patti would have done it - she and Webber allegedly fought alot (who doesn't Patti fight with ) - But, she went back to Webber in the early 90's with the London production of Sunset (in which she was BRILLIANT and in which she allegedly beat Streep out of the part during a sort of impromptu audition) and then Webber screwed Lupone royally by breaching his contract with her to take it to Broadway and instead going with Glenn Close, who, although a GREAT actress, I did not care for in that part. Webber paid Lupone millions of dollars for that (some rumors have it at 5 some at 10 - the real amount is undisclosed). So, I am sure Patti was not in love with the idea of working with anything associated with Webber again. But, stranger things have happened.

As a total aside and unrelated to anything but my obsession with La Lupone - did you read where last weekend, she through a diva fit because some TSA person felt her up - that poor TSA woman to get that wrath to wit:

Actress Gets Airport Pat-Down

NEW YORK, Nov. 24, 2004

(CBS) She's a Broadway star who has dazzled audiences in such hits as "Evita" (for which she won the Tony award in 1980) and a rousing revival of "Anything Goes." But, as a private citizen, actress Patti LuPone tells The Early Show co-anchor Harry Smith, she was the victim of an airport screener who went too far.

Two months ago, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) made changes to passenger screening procedures at airports nationwide, including calling for more aggressive pat-downs. Officials say it increases their ability to detect explosives.

But LuPone has joined the increasing number of passengers who believe the pat-downs cross the line. She was recently stopped and publicly frisked at the airport in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Says LuPone, "It was during the initial screening. ...I took off my leather jacket. I took off my belt, my...shoes, because they have metal in them. I did what I have the knowledge to do."

Since she was traveling from a warm climate (Fort Lauderdale) to a colder climate (Chicago), LuPone explains, she had dressed in layers. "And then the initial screener said, 'Take off your shirt.' And I said, 'If I take off my shirt, I'm going to be exposed.' He said, 'OK.'

"I passed through the metal detector without any incident," continues the 55-year-old actress, "and he waved me into secondary screening, and I questioned him. I said, 'What am I doing here?' (He said), 'You said you wouldn't take your shirt off.'

"I thought, 'Am I in the time-out chair?'"

She took off her shirt and then asked the initial screener what he wanted next. He never spoke to her, she says, even though she asked for more information. "And out of nowhere," LuPone says, "this woman comes and starts to give me a breast exam, not using the back of her hands, using the palm of her hands.

"And I was shocked. And I was not in a private environment. I was out there in the public and totally taken by surprise, humiliated and shocked!"

Co-anchor Smith pointed out that travelers grapple with the question of when they are being violated, and when they must understand that it is "safety at all costs." After all, informed travelers are well aware that the bombs that went off in the planes in Russia were probably taken on board by female passengers.

LuPone suggests that better communication between the Transportation Security Administration and passengers would be helpful. In fact, she tells Smith, "I think that if there was communication between the TSA and the passengers, the passengers would be willing to do anything. Nobody wants to get into a flying bomb."

After her encounter with the initial screener, LuPone spoke to three other screeners who, she says, "were so compassionate and sympathetic...I actually called the TSA and commended these guys, because they knew how to handle a passenger in distress. The original screener did not."

She says she told the later screeners: "If you communicate to me, there is nothing I won't do for you. But you want to withhold the information." She reports that the screeners told her that they are not allowed to share certain information with passengers.

Concludes LuPone, "As my husband said, they're closing the barn doors after the horse is out. This stuff is hindsight. ...They need to take another initiative and be smarter about their screening."

©MMIV, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in657910.shtml

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 11-30-2004, 11:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Not only that, but they shot her with a JAR of vaseline on the lens and through more gauze than La Nicks wears on stage

Seriously, I like that version, but when I think of what it could have been if they had used Lupone or Streep 15 years earlier when negotiations first started. I often wonder is Patti would have done it - she and Webber allegedly fought alot (who doesn't Patti fight with ) - But, she went back to Webber in the early 90's with the London production of Sunset (in which she was BRILLIANT and in which she allegedly beat Streep out of the part during a sort of impromptu audition) and then Webber screwed Lupone royally by breaching his contract with her to take it to Broadway and instead going with Glenn Close, who, although a GREAT actress, I did not care for in that part. Webber paid Lupone millions of dollars for that (some rumors have it at 5 some at 10 - the real amount is undisclosed). So, I am sure Patti was not in love with the idea of working with anything associated with Webber again. But, stranger things have happened.
Like I said, Webber is a fool when it comes to many of the choices he's made. Glenn Close is a great actress, but not a great singer. Lupone is a great actress and a helluva singer. He ships Glenn Close off to Broadway and then tries to put Faye Dunaway on the West Coast? What an idiot! And it cost him millions!

Evita, the movie, left me dryer than Bea Arthur after menopause. It was awful and, worst of all, an utter bore. Just thinking of how great it would have been with Lupone brings tears to my eyes.

Quote:
"I thought, 'Am I in the time-out chair?'"

She took off her shirt and then asked the initial screener what he wanted next. He never spoke to her, she says, even though she asked for more information. "And out of nowhere," LuPone says, "this woman comes and starts to give me a breast exam, not using the back of her hands, using the palm of her hands.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in657910.shtml

I don't blame her. If someone grabbed my crotch or my chest, I'd slug them.