User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-10-2005, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
OMG - no AND tonight is a stay at home movie night - so Blockbuster (sorry Cliffdweller ) here I come
You and your Blockbuster...so what else are you thinking about renting? I haven't rented a movie since my Bergman class . Any suggestions?
Old 06-10-2005, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Those three are amongst my fav. actresses EVER. And - Resurrection with Ellen Burstyn is in my top five movies of all time As for Leachman - no no dumb scum . . . Death to King LOUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS
Ellen Burstyn is one of the greatest actresses to ever grace the screen. And she gave her best performance a mere four years ago in Requiem For A Dream.

I love Brennan's voice; it's so...exotic. Whenever I think of her, I can't help but think of the shower scene in Private Benjamin.

Old 06-10-2005, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
I *loved* Eileen Brennan and Ellen Burstyn in it. Leachman, too. It's hard to believe that all of them were virtual unknowns at that time.
Ellen Burstyn is one of my favorite actresses of all time. I loved her in Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, The Excorcist, and Requiem For a Dream.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller
Ellen Burstyn is one of my favorite actresses of all time. I loved her in Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, The Excorsist, and Requiem For a Dream.
Her performance in Requiem has to be one the best performances ever caught on film, right up there with Sally Kirkland in Anna. She was hauting in that movie and I was, literally, a wreck when it was over. The last twenty minutes were pure torture, more than anything I've seen in any other movie. The intensity of it was unbearable and I, personally, think they should show that movie in every high school across the country.

Old 06-10-2005, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You and your Blockbuster...so what else are you thinking about renting? I haven't rented a movie since my Bergman class . Any suggestions?

Well, last night at Screen on the Green (Turner donated this huge removeable screen in Piedmont Park (our Central Park if you will) and thousands go to see classics with blankets and wine ) - I saw "To Kill a Mockingbird" - which so reminds me of my childhood everytime I see it. So, I may rent more Gregory Peck movies like Gentleman's Agreement. I also will check out some of the newer titles I missed in the theatre. I also want to see, on advice of a friend, "His Secret Life" http://blockbuster.com/catalog/Displ...movieID=122889 and perhaps Before Sunrise http://blockbuster.com/catalog/Displ...layBoxArt=true which I have wanted to rent for awhile, but never got around to it.

What you gonna rent?

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 06-10-2005, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Her performance in Requiem has to be one the best performances ever caught on film, right up there with Sally Kirkland in Anna. She was hauting in that movie and I was, literally, a wreck when it was over. The last twenty minutes were pure torture, more than anything I've seen in any other movie. The intensity of it was unbearable and I, personally, think they should show that movie in every high school across the country.
There were so many disturbing scenes in that movie---I don't think I could watch it again, but you're right, it's a great movie and Ellen should have won the Academy Award. Wait, did she?
Old 06-10-2005, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ellen Burstyn is one of the greatest actresses to ever grace the screen. And she gave her best performance a mere four years ago in Requiem For A Dream.

I love Brennan's voice; it's so...exotic. Whenever I think of her, I can't help but think of the shower scene in Private Benjamin.

I LOVE Private Benjamin and EB was one of the main reasons why. It is hard to upstage Goldie Hawn, who I also love, but EB did it in spades. I also love with she uses her ridng crop to fondle the recruits and don't get me started with praise for her playing of the surveillance photos in Paris - SHE'S A RED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-10-2005, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There were so many disturbing scenes in that movie---I don't think I could watch it again, but you're right, it's a great movie and Ellen should have won the Academy Award. Wait, did she?
NO. THAT HORSE JULIA ROBERTS DID.

Ellen was nominated and lost to that thing. Further proof that the Oscars are a sick joke.

Old 06-10-2005, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
NO. THAT HORSE JULIA ROBERTS DID.

Ellen was nominated and lost to that thing. Further proof that the Oscars are a sick joke.

Esp. for Erin B. - I mean it was an okay movie and all, but hardly Oscar worthy IMO, esp. in that company, which IMO only further demonstrated her lesser performance in a comparative B film.

Old 06-10-2005, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, last night at Screen on the Green (Turner donated this huge removeable screen in Piedmont Park (our Central Park if you will) and thousands go to see classics with blankets and wine ) - I saw "To Kill a Mockingbird" - which so reminds me of my childhood everytime I see it. So, I may rent more Gregory Peck movies like Gentleman's Agreement. I also will check out some of the newer titles I missed in the theatre. I also want to see, on advice of a friend, "His Secret Life" http://blockbuster.com/catalog/Displ...movieID=122889 and perhaps Before Sunrise http://blockbuster.com/catalog/Displ...layBoxArt=true which I have wanted to rent for awhile, but never got around to it.

What you gonna rent?
I don't know...every time we go to rent something we get lost in the video store. The store we go to is HUGE and they have EVERYTHING under the sun so you can kind of get lost in all the titles. Plus they categorize under director and sometimes actor as well as by comedy, drama, horror, sci-fi, etc and then you have all the foreign films...Livia knows the place it's called I <3 Video. Anyhoo, as far as new releases, I don't know what's out. I don't think this is out on video yet, but I want to rent The Ring II because I just found out that a friend of mine from high school is in it!!!!!! I just want to see her, I hear the movie is total ****.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't know...every time we go to rent something we get lost in the video store. The store we go to is HUGE and they have EVERYTHING under the sun so you can kind of get lost in all the titles. Plus they categorize under director and sometimes actor as well as by comedy, drama, horror, sci-fi, etc and then you have all the foreign films...Livia knows the place it's called I <3 Video. Anyhoo, as far as new releases, I don't know what's out. I don't think this is out on video yet, but I want to rent The Ring II because I just found out that a friend of mine from high school is in it!!!!!! I just want to see her, I hear the movie is total ****.
I saw it in the theatre. It was okay, but hardly ground breaking in that "I bet the car won't start and here comes the monster - or she trips while running" way. But, it was worth a rental fee, esp. if your friend is in it. Also, the part on the road when they are attacked (no spoiler from me) is pretty creepy. But, it not as good as the first and nowhere near the Japanese original - which I rent tonight if I can find it. Nothing like sitting at home with the bejeesis scared out of you

Old 06-10-2005, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I saw it in the theatre. It was okay, but hardly ground breaking in that "I bet the car won't start and here comes the monster - or she trips while running" way. But, it was worth a rental fee, esp. if your friend is in it. Also, the part on the road when they are attacked (no spoiler from me) is pretty creepy. But, it not as good as the first and nowhere near the Japanese original - which I rent tonight if I can find it. Nothing like sitting at home with the bejeesis scared out of you
If you have any good independent video stores aorund, try to get Haute Tension (High Tension) on DVD; you'll love it. It was released in theaters today, but most independent video stores will have the Korean DVD of it. That sucker will scare the bejesus out of you!

Old 06-10-2005, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If you have any good independent video stores aorund, try to get Haute Tension (High Tension) on DVD; you'll love it. It was released in theaters today, but most independent video stores will have the Korean DVD of it. That sucker will scare the bejesus out of you!
There are not that many around here. There is one a few miles away next to a WAY cool Mexican Rest. - hmmmmmmmmmmm - might be time for some guac. Thanks for the tip!!!

Old 06-10-2005, 06:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
I think that's the only one that I don't have. From what I hear he has only a very small role in it so I haven't convinced myself to fork over the $$ to pick it up. Is it worth it?

Like I said, RC isn't my favorite actor (That place is reserved for his former costar Joaquin Phoenix). But I loved him in a lot of his movies - Gladiator (of course), The Quick and the Dead, Romper Stomper, L.A. Confidential, and The Sum of Us. Also liked him in Mystery, Alaska (the movie sucked but he looked great).
Yes his role in Spotswood is small, even if he has some tense interaction with Anthony Hopkins (he's the reason why I have the movie ). If you find it on sale with major discounts I'd say it deserved to be seen, it's a good movie (Both Tony an Toni Collette are superb ) .

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 06-10-2005, 07:08 PM
DeadliestPoison
This message has been deleted by DeadliestPoison.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadliestPoison
They showed it in Kate's! She was asking me about it and I told her that when the Winter titlecard comes down to go running.
Good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadliestPoison
I watched it a few nights ago. Ellen never fails to make me cry like a baby. Thanks, Ellen!
That one scene where her friends go to visit her in the mental ward and see her standing there, thin as a rail, white as a ghost, and with her hair all chopped off is just devastating. I dare anyone to show me an actress with as much guts as Miss Burstyn for taking on that role and doing all of that. That performance just amazes me, it's what acting truly is. She makes you forget that you're watching Ellen Burstyn to the point where you actually believe that this woman is dying in front of your eyes. It chills me to the bone.

And Jennifer Connelly was no slouch in it, either.

Old 06-10-2005, 07:18 PM
DeadliestPoison
This message has been deleted by DeadliestPoison.