The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey Mick, one way to keep your audiences engaged with endless touring is to DRASTICALLY CHANGE THE SETLIST! You have now done the endless greatest hits touring so it's now time for a change.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Why not tour 5 years straight- whats the problem?
Completely over-saturating the market, among other things...
Old 03-28-2015, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Completely over-saturating the market, among other things...
I despair. Its what musicians do... they record music for release and then play music live. Unless they need to take a whole year off to record they can play live. They've recorded more than an albums worth of music (almost 2 albums worth of music) so they should get it released soon and then go and play it live. Whats the point in sitting around for a year for the sake of it?

It's saturating the market if they play greatest hits every time but there's a clamour for them to play new material.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Mick's interview had me laughing. Oh, stop slagging Tony Bennett, man.
I bet Mick will be drumming onstage in his 80's and still hoping and praying to be doing it with FM, despite what he says.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
It's saturating the market if they play greatest hits every time but there's a clamour for them to play new material.
A clamor among a very loyal, but relatively small group of fans. We are not the ones who sell out those arenas.

But yes, just to maintain a semblance of their own sanity, they should change the setlist.

Michele
Old 03-28-2015, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I'm glad to hear to hear him still talking about the new album. It sounds like he and Christine made some great songs together. He seems very proud of their work and excited to release it. I think the album will be worth the wait.
Unfortunately, that's pretty meaningless. He's been saying that about everything he's done since SYW. He now looks back at SYW and says it's uneven. I'm waiting for him to come clean about the released version of GOS, which also suffers from some of that.

I'll believe it when I hear it but anything Lindsey says about this phantom album that now will take another two years to complete after they wrap up the tour this Christmas, I take with a handful of salt. It's just not credible.

And besides, if Christine is writing a lot of the lyrics, I can't get too excited, considering the "In the Meantime" stuff: You love me, you left me, I loved you, you're a creep." Is that kind of stuff going to resonate from a bunch of geezers? Lindsey had taken a very interesting turn lyrically with the original GOS themes (Peacekeeper, Red Rover, Murrow, Miranda, etc.), and the brutal honesty of the Under the Skin lyrics was refreshing, but then he started singing about "sad angels" and some other insipid stuff, so I have my doubts that this material will be as a good as he would have us believe.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
OF COURSE! He's not going to sit there and say "oh, our new stuff is crap". Every time there's a new album on the horizon, whether it's Fleetwood Mac or his own, he always says something to the effect of "it's the best stuff we've ever done". It's a marketing ploy.
You said that a lot better and more to the point than I managed to do.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
And thus touring for 5 years straight? I'm not sure how much sense that makes.
Not much sense artistically.
But $$$$$$$$$££££££££.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
OF COURSE! He's not going to sit there and say "oh, our new stuff is crap". Every time there's a new album on the horizon, whether it's Fleetwood Mac or his own, he always says something to the effect of "it's the best stuff we've ever done". It's a marketing ploy.
You're right. Completely calculated and disingenuous. He obviously doesn't think that highly of his new songs.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So, what SHOULD he say about it? It's not only marketing, basicly, the last work of a musician tends to feel like his or her best work, if the artist surprised him or herself with it. You should know that.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
Not much sense artistically.
But $$$$$$$$$££££££££.
But at some point, I don't think it would make much sense financially either. I can see the revenues during that third year becoming pretty bleak.

Michele
Old 03-29-2015, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
But at some point, I don't think it would make much sense financially either. I can see the revenues during that third year becoming pretty bleak.

Michele

For the next two years they wouldn't need to do the extensive number of dates they have been doing. They could do half the number of venues in 2016 and the other half in 2017. By 2017 it will have been (at least) 2 years since they'd visited those places. An anniversary tour is automatically going to generate interest. Keeping in the public eye while they are hot property would be a good thing.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As us TRUE fans see a dozens of shows of the same tour and get bored of the same setlists.

The setlist will never change.It will be the same except for some new tunes or adds and subtracts.

The FM 50/40 anniversary package would be great.

At this point they are making alot more money with these hits tours then selling an new album.Its sad to say that but thats the way it is these days with older artists and bands that are underrated.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 03-29-2015, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
So, what SHOULD he say about it? It's not only marketing, basicly, the last work of a musician tends to feel like his or her best work, if the artist surprised him or herself with it. You should know that.
Maybe something a little more toned down, like "I think this work will hold up with the rest of our catalogue." But calling it "THE best thing we've ever done" is a very unrealistic standard for the album to live up to. They haven't even gotten anything from Stevie, yet.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-29-2015, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Maybe something a little more toned down, like "I think this work will hold up with the rest of our catalogue." But calling it "THE best thing we've ever done" is a very unrealistic standard for the album to live up to. They haven't even gotten anything from Stevie, yet.
I don't think he's ever said 'Its the best thing we've ever done'.
In this interview he said 'its one of the best things we've ever done'...
...which could well be true- I do hope so.