Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-13-2005, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Danny LP

So what's this album?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=4805155609
Old 12-13-2005, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That's the US release of his Midnight In San Juan album. Here, it was just titled Danny Kirwan and had the alternate cover you see in the eBay photo.

Here's the entry from the Penguin Discography:

Danny Kirwan: Midnight In San Juan
Old 12-13-2005, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb-Maat-Re
That's a decent album. The other Kirwan album sucks...Horrible!!!!!
"hello big boy" I haven't heard though...
Old 12-13-2005, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hello There, Big Boy is pretty good, too. Although, Danny's guitar is pretty much non-existent. Bob Weston & Kirby handle most of the lead guitar work on it. Plus there's a great version of "Only You" (with a cool middle section that wasn't in the early Fleetwood Mac versions).

Actually, HTBB, sounds quite a bit like the latter day Badfinger albums.

I don't think Second Chapter "sucks", but it was such an odd left turn in sound from his Fleetwood Mac days that it took me quite a few years to accept.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Hello There, Big Boy is pretty good, too. Although, Danny's guitar is pretty much non-existent. Bob Weston & Kirby handle most of the lead guitar work on it. Plus there's a great version of "Only You" (with a cool middle section that wasn't in the early Fleetwood Mac versions).
I agree that "Only You" from "Hello There, Big Boy" was pretty great, although the Mac's version also had the middle section, if we're talking about the slow section of the song.

My biggest gripe with the album is that they were clearly trying to capitalize on the success of Bob Welch's "French Kiss" album. Both had racey titles, both had old Mac song, and both had similar covers:

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-13-2005, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
My biggest gripe with the album is that they were clearly trying to capitalize on the success of Bob Welch's "French Kiss" album. Both had racey titles, both had old Mac song, and both had similar covers:

And, it had a song on the album titled "Spaceman" which COULD be taken as a dig at Bob Welch's spacey songwriting.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm fairly sure that "Hello There Big Boy", a phrase which in England suggests our sort of tongue-in-cheek 'seaside postcard' humour, plus the silly cover, is very much a light-hearted dig at Bob Welch's rather moody "French Kiss" cover. I really can't see Danny's cover as anything else There's certainly nothing racy about it, just look at Danny's expression! Although maybe it was a bit more pointed than that - Danny and Bob never got on particularly well.

Also it's worth noting that Bob was practically unheard of in the UK, and as a British artist, Danny probably wouldn't have seen Bob's success as worth trying to emulate - Danny was surely well beyond travelling to the States by that point. HTBB was only done to fulfil a contractual obligation to DJM Records, there was no promotion, gigs or publicity and I'm sure no success of any type anywhere was anticipated.

The album is patchy, I think - 'Caroline' and the aforementioned 'Spaceman' are the best two, with 'Only You' - I heard the Mac version (Live at the BBC) first, so I always preferred that one. That song was surely used as a filler to try and disguise the fact they didn't have many songs, and since at that time it had never been officially released as a Mac song, it was new to most ears. 'Wings of a Dove' is OK, and most of the rest are covers, or contributions from the other guys working on the album. Kirby wrote one, Tony Rivers wrote quite a good one and Dana Gillespie wrote one with Clifford Davis. The only other track is Danny's duet with Dana Gillespie, 'Summer Days and Summer Nights', which is a strange little song.

As for "Second Chapter", it doesn't suck - it's over-produced though. The "Ram Jam City" demos CD is a better bet - it's effectively the same album stripped of the cheesy horns and strings, and it fits in much better with the style of his second album. I heard RJC first and afterwards hearing SC was a bit of a disappointment, but I like all of it really

Last edited by bretonbanquet; 12-14-2005 at 08:32 AM..
Old 12-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
As for "Second Chapter", it doesn't suck - it's over-produced though. The "Ram Jam City" demos CD is a better bet - it's effectively the same album stripped of the cheesy horns and strings, and it fits in much better with the style of his second album. I heard RJC first and afterwards hearing SC was a bit of a disappointment, but I like all of it really

My biggest disappointment with RJC is the omission of "Love Can Always Bring You Happiness", which is probably my fave tune on SC.

I just wish that Danny would have layered guitar parts instead of favoring those cheezy Mini-Moog synthesiser parts throughout Midnight In San Juan.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just wish that Danny would have layered guitar parts instead of favoring those cheezy Mini-Moog synthesiser parts throughout Midnight In San Juan.
That's for sure. It would have been great to hear that album with different (better) production. Almost all the songs are very good and could have been great with more of Danny's guitar work in place of those synth parts. Maybe his declining mental health had already taken its toll on his guitar abilities by then?
Old 12-14-2005, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When was it released?
Old 12-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Per the Penguin Discography link I posted above:

EDIT, EDIT, EDIT...Danger, Wil Robinson, Danger Wil Robinson, typo alert, typo alert: SHOULD'VE been:

September 1, 1976...about 5 months before Rumours

Last edited by chiliD; 12-14-2005 at 03:25 PM..
Old 12-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Per the Penguin Discography link I posted above:

September 1, 1979...about 40 days before Tusk
Dammit, I need to remember that stuff more. You can tell I'm not that great around computers huh?
Old 12-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

DavidMn, which album are you asking about? ChiliD's response would be for Hello There, Big Boy. Midnight In San Juan was released in 1976, and I believe much or all of it was recorded in '75 (maybe even late '74?).
Old 12-14-2005, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000
DavidMn, which album are you asking about? ChiliD's response would be for Hello There, Big Boy. Midnight In San Juan was released in 1976, and I believe much or all of it was recorded in '75 (maybe even late '74?).
Thats the one I was referring to, yes.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

See edit above...1979 was a typo.