Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Dave Remembers: Like a Cover Band

Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2011 9:13 am
http://www.swtimes.com/features/arti...cc4c002e0.html

In Concert: Cause Inspires Dave Mason By Scott Smith
TIMES RECORD • SSMITH@SWTIMES.COM The Times Record | 0 comments

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame member Dave Mason will dig deep into his solo career and his time with rock band Traffic next month in Fayetteville.

Known for the songs “We Just Disagree,” “Feelin’ Alright,” “Dear Mr. Fantasy,” “Hole in My Shoe” and “Only You Know and I Know,” the singer-guitarist will perform rock, pop, folk-rock and other styles for a fundraising concert at 8 p.m. Sept. 28 at George’s Majestic Lounge, 519 W. Dickson St. in Fayetteville.

The concert is part of Work Vessels for Veterans, a national, all-volunteer program co-founded by Mason that raises money and obtains work supplies and start-up tools for military veterans wishing to re-enter the civilian work force. Funds raised at the event will benefit Arkansas veteran Rick Brown, who was injured while on active duty and has a permanent seizure disorder, Traumatic brain injury (TBI) and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

“We’ve helped 65 veterans start their businesses, and we’ve gotten them everything from laptops to some farm equipment,” said the 65-year-old Mason during a recent telephone interview. “Those businesses range from blueberry farms in Florida to boating and trucking businesses across the country, and once the veteran’s business is profitable, that veteran begins to give back some proceeds that will be used to help other veterans. It’s a pay-it-forward deal for veterans.”

Mason, who co-founded Traffic with Steve Winwood and Jim Capaldi before recording with Jimi Hendrix, The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Michael Jackson and Fleetwood Mac, said he was “eager” to help Brown, who is hoping to acquire tools and open a workshop, where he can build guitars and sell and donate them to help other individuals and families.

“We do want people to know that we don’t look just for money,” said Mason, a native of Worcester, England, who now lives in Santa Barbara, Calif. “We look for people who can donate land, tools and equipment so we can pass that on to veterans who need help.”

Mason said his passion for Work Vessels for Veterans mirrors the team-player attitude he held as a young musician. Even though creative differences with Winwood edged Mason out of Traffic a second time following a 1971 tour, he sounds bitter-free.

“I thought Traffic’s ‘Welcome to the Canteen’ album was going to be a reunion thing for us, but it just didn’t happen for me,” Mason said before laughing. “So I did a solo career, partly out of not knowing what I was going to do next.”

Mason played acoustic guitar on Hendrix’s studio version of “All Along the Watchtower,” and he supplied some of the thundering drums and the strange-sounding horn to The Rolling Stones’ “Street Fighting Man” song. When asked why some websites claim he was uncredited on “Street Fighting Man,” Mason laughed.

“I don’t know if the band wrote me down on the list of credits or not, but all I know is I got my platinum album award for the song’s album, ‘Beggars Banquet,’” he said while still laughing.

At the dawn of the 1970s, Mason briefly joined Eric Clapton for the popular band, Derek and the Dominos, but Clapton’s work ethic at that time saw Mason replaced by Duane Allman before the group entered the studio.

“At that time, Eric had gone down the dark path,” Mason said. “I think it’s no secret now — it’s been widely reported — that Eric got involved in heroin, and I got bored with the band because there was a lot of sitting around. I had to move on, but I’d love to work with Eric Clapton any day now.”

In 1977, Mason scored his highest-charting single with his version of Jim Krueger’s “We Just Disagree,” which peaked at No. 12 on the Billboard Hot 100 Chart. The song’s charm carried through the decades, inspiring country singer Billy Dean to re-record it and release it as a single in 1993.

Working in Fleetwood Mac in the mid-1990s seemed like another solid chance for Mason to get near the top of the charts, yet what looked great on paper didn’t gel as well on the stage.

“That was kind of an odd time, because Christine McVie was with us when we recorded that ‘Time’ album, but she wouldn’t go on the road,” Mason said before laughing. “For me, it was kind of like being in a Fleetwood Mac cover band, and Warner Brothers did nothing to promote the record then. It just fell apart before I left and (Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks) came back to Fleetwood Mac.”

Mason’s “Save Me,” a 1980 collaboration with Michael Jackson, happened with fewer road bumps.

“Michael Jackson was in the studio next to me, working on his ‘Thriller’ album,” Mason said. “I had originally wanted someone to sing a high harmony with me, and with Michael working next door, I said to myself, ‘Well, Michael can sing high.’ So I went next door and asked him during a break, and Michael said he’d be right over. It was a fun experience.”
Old 08-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Jackson 5 did a cover of "Feelin' Alright" on one of their first albums, so it's fitting that Michael Jackson appeared on Dave's Save Me. I would hope that Michael realized Dave was the writer of that earlier song.

Michele
Old 08-26-2011, 04:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Strange, I think if Christine was there it would've felt like even more of a cover band to him because they would've undoubtedly performed more of her songs and less of his so if anything he should've been happy but guess not. :rolleyes

John
Old 08-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
Strange, I think if Christine was there it would've felt like even more of a cover band to him because they would've undoubtedly performed more of her songs and less of his so if anything he should've been happy but guess not. :rolleyes
I don't follow. How could Fleetwood Mac be a cover band if Christine McVie, not Bekka Bramlett, sang Christine McVie-penned songs?

But, if Christine hadn't quit touring, Stevie would have probably stayed, which means Rick and Billy would probably have stayed, which means Dave would never have gotten a shot at Fleetwood Mac.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-26-2011, 09:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Awhile back I posted a thread with Time era performances, in case anybody is curious about the on stage dynamics.

The problem was that they (Dave, Bekka, and Billy) were peforming songs by mainly Stevie and Christine. Fleetwood Mac lost that link from the previous incarnation that had been there since the beginning, Yeah Billy was there, but were any of his 3 BTM songs peformed? I don't think so. From those performance mention earlier, Billy is more in the "John McVie" position on stage. Its really Dave and mainly Bekka up front with she doing alot of Stevie and Christine songs. Dave seemed to be doing mostly non-Fleetwood Mac songs. So yeah I can see Dave Mason saying it felt like a cover band, especially since no new songs from Time were done until the end of the tour.

I wasn't there and was a child back in '95 who didn't know who the hell Fleetwood Mac was. This just is my opinion from seeing things today.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Awhile back I posted a thread with Time era performances, in case anybody is curious about the on stage dynamics.

The problem was that they (Dave, Bekka, and Billy) were peforming songs by mainly Stevie and Christine. Fleetwood Mac lost that link from the previous incarnation that had been there since the beginning, Yeah Billy was there, but were any of his 3 BTM songs peformed? I don't think so. From those performance mention earlier, Billy is more in the "John McVie" position on stage. Its really Dave and mainly Bekka up front with she doing alot of Stevie and Christine songs. Dave seemed to be doing mostly non-Fleetwood Mac songs. So yeah I can see Dave Mason saying it felt like a cover band, especially since no new songs from Time were done until the end of the tour.
I agree that they should have done at least one of Billy's "Behind The Mask" songs. But, I disagree that Billy was in the John McVie position. NOT EVEN CLOSE! I saw them twice on that tour (and have a few bootlegs somewhere), and I'd say it was pretty equal between Billy and Dave. Dave had more solo lead vocals, but Billy did more duets with Bekka. It was pretty clear at the shows that the real chemistry was between Bekka and Billy. Also, they usually did "Blow By Blow" early in the tour, as it was released on the "Soccer Rocks The Globe" album. It appears that it got dropped when "Dreamin' The Dream" was added.

Here was a typical set list:

The Chain (all three)
You Make Loving Fun/Say You Love Me (Bekka)
Oh Well (Billy and Bekka)
We Just Disagree (Dave)
Blow By Blow (Dave)
Gold Dust Woman (Bekka)
Only You Know And I Know/Dear Mr. Fantasy (Dave -and Bekka on OYKAIK)
World Turning (Bekka and Billy)
Go Your Own Way (Billy)
Don't Stop (Bekka and Billy)
Imagine/Dreamin' The Dream (Bekka)

Other songs they sometimes played include (I've only seen a couple of these done on bootlegs):

Dreams (Bekka)
All Along The Watchtower (Dave)
The Bigger The Love (Billy)
Tear It Up (Billy)

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Interesting setlist; I'll respond more tomorrow.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I don't follow. How could Fleetwood Mac be a cover band if Christine McVie, not Bekka Bramlett, sang Christine McVie-penned songs?
Well let's face it, if there is history between those two I doubt he really wanted her there and he never really looked in to it whenever they did songs other than his so I'd be surprised if he could honestly say he'd have perfered her being there since that would've meant he'd then only be able to do less of his songs (i.e. the ones he was in to doing). That's all I meant, though I agree that I'm glad this line up existed as I'm sure you're right on what would've happend if Chris stayed.

John
Old 08-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So adding all those songs together, Bekka is solo on 5 songs, Billy and Dave are each solo on 3, Bekka and Billy duet on 3 while Bekka and Dave duet on 1.

Bekka is on 8 songs, Billy 6 songs, and Dave 4 songs. I was half-correct in that Bekka was the front-person/woman, if you will.

They seemed to do alot of non-Fleetwood Mac songs, especially Dave.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah it was a Fleetwood Mac cover band & Fleetwood Mac covering bands at the same time.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Yeah it was a Fleetwood Mac cover band & Fleetwood Mac covering bands at the same time.
Really no differrent than when they did Stand Back, Has Anyone Ever Written, Tear It Up, or Go Insane, or when Jeremy Spencer was in the band.

It's funny to me that nobody calls it a cover band when Stevie, Lindsey, Christine, Peter, or Welch do their Mac songs as solo artists. At least with Mick and John doing the songs, there are TWO people who were actually part of the original recordings.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Really no differrent than when they did Stand Back, Has Anyone Ever Written, Tear It Up, or Go Insane, or when Jeremy Spencer was in the band.

It's funny to me that nobody calls it a cover band when Stevie, Lindsey, Christine, Peter, or Welch do their Mac songs as solo artists. At least with Mick and John doing the songs, there are TWO people who were actually part of the original recordings.
I've never been of fan of Fleetwood Mac incorporating solo songs into the setlists or greatest hits album releases, a la "Stand Back" from The Chain and "Go Insane" from The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac.

However, oddly enough, I don't really have a problem with Fleetwood Mac songs on a solo setlist. Stevie does Landslide, Rhiannon, Dreams, and Gold Dust Woman pretty much on all her solo shows/tours. Though I do feel that those songs should be a small minority in the setlist. Fleetwood Mac is one thing - various solo careers are another.

Anyway, back to Dave Mason, why didn't he do any Fleetwood Mac songs when, you know, he was in Fleetwood Mac?
Old 08-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

But they're singing songs they wrote. How can they be covering themselves?

So then, do you think Stevie's recording of 'Crystal' is a cover?

If Lindsey went out on a solo tour and started singing You Make Loving Fun, or Stevie went out and played Go Your Own Way, that'd be a little different.. but..
Old 08-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Anyway, back to Dave Mason, why didn't he do any Fleetwood Mac songs when, you know, he was in Fleetwood Mac?
What, Blow By Blow isn't a Fleetwood Mac song?

Really, he had enough popular songs from his own career. In a 10-11 song set, he only got a couple, and one that often got played was also one that was relevant to Bekka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
But they're singing songs they wrote. How can they be covering themselves?
But Mick and John are playing the parts they came up with on the original songs. How can they be covering themselves?

Quote:
So then, do you think Stevie's recording of 'Crystal' is a cover?

If Lindsey went out on a solo tour and started singing You Make Loving Fun, or Stevie went out and played Go Your Own Way, that'd be a little different.. but..
I don't think any of them are covers.

The only song that is really in the gray is, ironically, "Dear Mr. Fantasy" since Dave wasn't on the original Traffic version (though WAS on the album), but was on a live version released by Traffic a few years later, although the Mac version was a completely different arrangement.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-28-2011, 06:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
"Dear Mr. Fantasy" since Dave wasn't on the original Traffic version
According to the Winwood Finer Things box set notes he played bass on the studio version.

John